In the market for a MDX

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for a MDX

Hello all! In a few months my wife's car is going to be to the point where it is a ticking time bomb of money and so im looking to sell it soon while its still worth some money. Anyway I've been looking at MDX and really love the vehicle! My price range is around 25K which I know isn't typically enough to purchase a used current gen MDX. I plan on saving to be able to put some money down but was wondering if any of yall got a good deal on your 3G MDX? Anyone buy used and if so what around what did you pay? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 02-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
Hello all! In a few months my wife's car is going to be to the point where it is a ticking time bomb of money and so im looking to sell it soon while its still worth some money. Anyway I've been looking at MDX and really love the vehicle! My price range is around 25K which I know isn't typically enough to purchase a used current gen MDX. I plan on saving to be able to put some money down but was wondering if any of yall got a good deal on your 3G MDX? Anyone buy used and if so what around what did you pay? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Are you in the states or canada? Just curious why you are set on mdx or rdx? There are quite a few other cars that can be had for 25k like a 2g lexus rx, the gm lambda trio, dodge durango, possibly inifniti jx35...etc. I really think you should take a look at a 2016 kia sorento, and before you roll your eyes, just go sit in an sxl model, you will be amazed. I know I was.

It does not feel like a kia and their reliability had been quite good! You just might love it. Can easily get into a lightly used sxl for like 30k
Old 02-10-2016, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RDX10
Are you in the states or canada? Just curious why you are set on mdx or rdx? There are quite a few other cars that can be had for 25k like a 2g lexus rx, the gm lambda trio, dodge durango, possibly inifniti jx35...etc. I really think you should take a look at a 2016 kia sorento, and before you roll your eyes, just go sit in an sxl model, you will be amazed. I know I was.

It does not feel like a kia and their reliability had been quite good! You just might love it. Can easily get into a lightly used sxl for like 30k
Yeah the reason im sort of set on those is b/c I currently own a Honda an would like to keep it in the Honda family. I dislike the style of most Lexus except for the most recent ones but those are of course out of my price range, no love here for GM or Dodge really, and I have looked into Infiniti b/c I love their cars but haven't been super wowed by their SUVs. I mostly like their G37 line. Ill take a look into the kia although I really dislike Kia as well.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Yeah the reason im sort of set on those is b/c I currently own a Honda an would like to keep it in the Honda family. I dislike the style of most Lexus except for the most recent ones but those are of course out of my price range, no love here for GM or Dodge really, and I have looked into Infiniti b/c I love their cars but haven't been super wowed by their SUVs. I mostly like their G37 line. Ill take a look into the kia although I really dislike Kia as well.
But honestly Honda hasn't really been doing all that hot. They are resting in reputation in most cases these days. You should at least go and test drive a jx35 before deciding if it isn't your cup of tea. Also I understand your feelings about the kia, I was the exact same, till a relative bought a 2011 model and I drove it a few times, then they improved a bunch in 2014 and a huge leap in 2016. Search up 2016 kia sorento 2-tone interior. You will be impressed.

Another suggestion would be to go look at the lincoln mkx (2011+ model). I drove a rental one for a few days and it was stunning! You will love it if you like power and luxury. The audi Q5 is something else, it is German but is probably the companies most reliable car ever. Very solid and very popular car, you can tell by the solid resale value.

Good luck in whatever you choose, just don't stretch yourself too thin right!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Intermediate

But honestly Honda hasn't really been doing all that hot. They are resting in reputation in most cases these days. You should at least go and test drive a jx35 before deciding if it isn't your cup of tea. Also I understand your feelings about the kia, I was the exact same, till a relative bought a 2011 model and I drove it a few times, then they improved a bunch in 2014 and a huge leap in 2016. Search up 2016 kia sorento 2-tone interior. You will be impressed.

Another suggestion would be to go look at the lincoln mkx (2011+ model). I drove a rental one for a few days and it was stunning! You will love it if you like power and luxury. The audi Q5 is something else, it is German but is probably the companies most reliable car ever. Very solid and very popular car, you can tell by the solid resale value.

Good luck in whatever you choose, just don't stretch yourself too thin right!
Thanks for the input! Yeah ive considered some of these and am very weary of the BMW just because of repair/maintenance cost. Ill certainly look up the Kia. As far as Honda goes I have a 2013 Accord and LOVE the thing its super reliable and honestly very classy. I've been brand loyal to Honda for years but if there was a company that would make me jump ship it would probably be infiniti. Their sportiness is just really impressive. Thanks for all the recommendations ill be sure to look into them.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Tanner, I have a '15 MDX Advance. I like it, but I don't love it. I actually considered all of the choices that have been mentioned to you except the KIA. However, I would not turn my nose up at the KIA. Korea is the new Japan. That said, if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would probably buy a new Honda Pilot. All of the same features available for about 10k less. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I just bought a 2014 Acura MDX Advanced, with 73K miles (mostly highway). Yes, i know, high miles, but I work on my cars, and understand how to do most of my own maintenance. Anyways, I had been looking for 5 months for deals on the MDX, and I definitely know what's out there.
I didn't originally want an Advanced, but just the tech package, for the safety items in it, like blind spot monitoring, LDW, etc.
If you're not picky on color (like I was) you can find them on the east coast with around 35-50k miles for about $31k. That was the range I was looking in. They aren't always there, but if you're patient, they pop up about 3-4 times a month. I cast a wide net, and used auto trader saved searches with a range of 500 miles to find the car i now own. I'd recommend that. I know I saved over 20K on this Advanced model, and it's only 2.5 years old. I also saved up and put some money down, and have a car payment like a Civic, so I'm pretty happy.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vtloki
I just bought a 2014 Acura MDX Advanced, with 73K miles (mostly highway). Yes, i know, high miles, but I work on my cars, and understand how to do most of my own maintenance. Anyways, I had been looking for 5 months for deals on the MDX, and I definitely know what's out there.
I didn't originally want an Advanced, but just the tech package, for the safety items in it, like blind spot monitoring, LDW, etc.
If you're not picky on color (like I was) you can find them on the east coast with around 35-50k miles for about $31k. That was the range I was looking in. They aren't always there, but if you're patient, they pop up about 3-4 times a month. I cast a wide net, and used auto trader saved searches with a range of 500 miles to find the car i now own. I'd recommend that. I know I saved over 20K on this Advanced model, and it's only 2.5 years old. I also saved up and put some money down, and have a car payment like a Civic, so I'm pretty happy.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I actually am looking at cars for around the same mileage and don't think 70K is much. Im of the opinion that modern cars are so well designed now a days that 100K is just barely breaking in a car. My issue is my budget because I cant spend over 30K and id like to keep it closer to 25K which is why ive been looking at the previous gen MDX but man the gas mileage STINKS! So that's my predicament.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I am on my 3rd MDX and for now it's my last. I have a 2015 Advance and even though it's a nice car it isn't a great car. I think Acura has dropped some over the years and the cars aren't as reliable as they use to be. I don't like the answers when there is something wrong and I don't think they're building cars that are cutting edge on technology. They seem to be trying to be a luxury car class with something missing. Today there are a lot of choices out there in the same price range. Look around a little and drive some different cars.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdx001
Today there are a lot of choices out there in the same price range. Look around a little and drive some different cars.
Really? Like what? For someone wanting a 3 row premium crossover around $50k, what are the choices?
Old 02-19-2016, 04:24 PM
Banned

Just look around, Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon, Lincoln MKT OR MKX, Infinity QX60, Audi Q5, Buick Enclave, BMW X5, Lexus FX, Porche Cayenne, Volvo XC90 and on and on. I travel a lot and drove a Chevy Tahoe a few months ago as a rental and it was pretty darn nice and I have driven the Lincoln and Buick along with the Lexus. They all have their good and bad points but if you look at them all then its pretty easy to make an educated decision. With this being my 3rd MDX next year when this one goes I think I'm ready for a change and I have a lot of options in the $50G range.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Just look around, Chevy Tahoe or GMC Yukon, Lincoln MKT OR MKX, Infinity QX60, Audi Q5, Buick Enclave, BMW X5, Lexus FX, Porche Cayenne, Volvo XC90 and on and on. I travel a lot and drove a Chevy Tahoe a few months ago as a rental and it was pretty darn nice and I have driven the Lincoln and Buick along with the Lexus. They all have their good and bad points but if you look at them all then its pretty easy to make an educated decision. With this being my 3rd MDX next year when this one goes I think I'm ready for a change and I have a lot of options in the $50G range.
In fairness many of those are not 3 row crossovers. But for the hell of it. There is infiniti jx, buick enclave, dodge durango, kia sorento, honda pilot, toyota highlander, ford explorer. And yes, I don't see the mdx as being any better than the others.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:45 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
In fairness many of those are not 3 row crossovers. But for the hell of it. There is infiniti jx, buick enclave, dodge durango, kia sorento, honda pilot, toyota highlander, ford explorer. And yes, I don't see the mdx as being any better than the others.
I agree that each of those have their own unique selling points and value propositions for different customers but, when you are really looking to buy one each will have some disadvantage that you can't live with, and when it's time to fork the money out, typically only the Acura stands on top.
I had a Tahoe/ suburban for weekend rental as well and was very well impressed, except it was too large for my garage.
I understand that you are bored with MDX, nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

I think the Audi Q5 is a 5 seater only, but the Audi Q7 fits the bill of 3 row premium SUV.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Comfy
I agree that each of those have their own unique selling points and value propositions for different customers but, when you are really looking to buy one each will have some disadvantage that you can't live with, and when it's time to fork the money out, typically only the Acura stands on top.
I had a Tahoe/ suburban for weekend rental as well and was very well impressed, except it was too large for my garage.
I understand that you are bored with MDX, nothing wrong with that.
You know, if I was in the market for a 3-row suv for my wife. I would take a serious look at the mdx. It would take a serious reason not to pick it. The only way I would take the durango over it would be the tow capacity, then I would be looking at q7. Highlander is not bad, but mdx handles much better, same deal with all the above, infiniti jx has a disgusting cvt and automatically gets off my list asap.

I find the mdx too tame and feminized for my personal young male self. It is a GREAT, REALLY REALLY GOOD car. It can hold its' own next to audi q7s and mercedes gl's. Don't get me wrong at all. I just don't see it at the same level in terms of luxury and badge appeal as the germans. It is just that I like the fancier things in life...the rdx is my first non-german suv ever. And honestly very likely my last once it is sold. It has been rock solid reliable, incredibly fun to drive, and a blast. But just lacking in that luxury german appeal.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:38 AM
Banned

The problem with the MDX is it is slipping in reliability. Acura doesn't want to address their customers concerns and want to call things that aren't normal but be normal. Over the years I have owned Acura I have seen a real decline. I know its common around the board with all auto makers but Acura was tops in resale value and quality. That's just not so any longer.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:37 PM
Suzuka Master

The problem with the MDX is it is slipping in reliability. Acura doesn't want to address their customers concerns and want to call things that aren't normal but be normal. Over the years I have owned Acura I have seen a real decline. I know its common around the board with all auto makers but Acura was tops in resale value and quality. That's just not so any longer.
This is exactly why I was saying "they are resting on reputation lately". So basically, the technology is about 10 years old, they no longer have top reliability, they are not luxurious and nor are they sporty enough anymore...so what do we have then?
Old 02-22-2016, 09:24 AM
Banned

An expensive Honda
Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

An expensive Honda
Agreed, but that's also kinda the reason I got my used MDX. I was originally looking at a new CRV, but then we decided we wanted a 7 passenger vehicle. So started looking at pilot. I didn't like the cost of a new pilot. (And of course the generation change was 2016, so I wanted the newer tech, and better gas mileage) and a used 2014 MDX fit the bill nicely at around $33-35k. So, while I like having some of the "basic" items of the MDX that only come on the upper trims of the Honda (driver seat memory positions, blind spot monitoring, LDW) I also enjoy the exterior look of the MDX better than the crv or pilot (even the new one). But all that said, I also agree that Honda (and probably Acura) have been going down hill and they are standing on reputation alone. I've had various Hondas over that last 10 years, and things are going down hill (interior fit and finish, quality control, etc)

But every purchase can be different to a persons personal preference and for me, the MDX made the most sense for my current needs in life.
Old 02-22-2016, 12:29 PM
Suzuka Master

An expensive Honda
Exactly!

The new rdx is like a high trim crv.
Old 02-25-2016, 09:44 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks for the info. I actually am looking at cars for around the same mileage and don't think 70K is much. Im of the opinion that modern cars are so well designed now a days that 100K is just barely breaking in a car. My issue is my budget because I cant spend over 30K and id like to keep it closer to 25K which is why ive been looking at the previous gen MDX but man the gas mileage STINKS! So that's my predicament.
You should look in the midwest, I just bought a clean white 2014 advanced with 24k on it for 30k including stupid dealer fees. I live in Kansas City and drove to Nebraska to get it, so add $50 dollars for gas to the price I guess.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by erg69
You should look in the midwest, I just bought a clean white 2014 advanced with 24k on it for 30k including stupid dealer fees. I live in Kansas City and drove to Nebraska to get it, so add $50 dollars for gas to the price I guess.
DAMN!!! That is one hell of a deal, for an advanced with that low of a mileage. I'm totally jealous. How did you find it? I've been using autotrader, cars.com etc.
Old 02-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by vtloki
DAMN!!! That is one hell of a deal, for an advanced with that low of a mileage. I'm totally jealous. How did you find it? I've been using autotrader, cars.com etc.
First I found it on eBay, it was at a BMW store in Lincoln. It is white with gray, which I was looking for, and even has the heated steering wheel. I noticed they had an eBay fee, plus I wanted to see if I could get a better price... so I just called the main store number and said I saw it on their website. I got them to negotiate more than normal, I think, because I was coming in from out of state and it would be an easy deal for them. They asked about my financing, I hadn't looked in to it yet, so I went to bank of america's website and found the lowest rate they offered and told the dealer I had that. They offered to match it if I finance there... So I ended up getting a stupid low rate and from the sounds of it a great pricing on the car too. Just got lucky I guess.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Wow, awesome. And it is the advanced, right? With the self driving/steering feature? Remote start, etc?
That is an Amazing price.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:08 PM
Instructor

yep it's an advanced, funny you say remote start. I was just reading the thread about how bad they are on the 14-15s. Mine works fine. Doesn't turn the heated seats on like everyone wants, but it turns the wheel on at least.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:44 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
I just got Consumer Reports car review issue. Actually, the Acura SUVs (RDX and MDX) rate extremely well. They generally got high marks all around. The sedans however (ILX, TLX and RLX) did not fare nearly as well. There seems to be a strange disconnect between the sedans and the suvs.