Hidden Features Found On Your MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:40 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Hidden Features Found On Your MDX?

I decided to go back and read the manual on the remote door openers before I make this post.. Not once but twice when we had RAIN here in San Diego ( I know, Hard To Believe :gheywave, I was walking very fast to my MDX as I did not have an umbrella. When I was a few feet away, to my surprise, heard a Beep-Beep??? When I went to grab the handel to unlocvk the doors, to my surprise the doors were unlocked for me.. I see nothing in the manual about this being a feature of the keyless entry system. Since my MDX has a rain sensor, does it recognize the fact that it is raining out and is smart enough to unlock the doors?
Old 12-24-2014, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
it's not supposed to do that... that thing happened to me a few times, there's this one time that I was standing beside the MDX with the doors locked, then all of a sudden I heard the beeps and car unlocks with the keyfob in my pocket. I was just standing talking to someone and my pockets were not full with items that might have pressed the unlock button. Weird. Also, there are times that I go to our carport in the morning to drive to the office and found that the car was already unlocked. I always make sure to lock my car everytime I leave it in our carport. I also have issues with the rear tailgate opening and closing by itself.

Those weird occurances only happened when the keyfob was in the proximity range though... It never happened when I leave the car in a parking lot in the office or mall. Probably, frequency interference? I don't have any idea.... There's this also a part in my office's underground parking where the touch lock/unlock feature won't work. It only happened on a certain area if I park there.

I brought this "issue" to the dealer eventhough I know they won't be able to replicate those. They said that they found nothing wrong and the service advisor kept on insisting that I might just had the keyfob buttons accidentally pressed thus it seems like the locks are unlocking and the tailgate is opening/closing by themselves. I just wanted them to check if the fuses and battery are still ok. And if something bad happened with my car (knock on wood, theft or car nap) because of the faulty lock, I have documentation that I brought up this issue with them and Acura would have to be liable for it.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Instructor

well, going back to the topic...

I just recently learned that when you are on reverse, you can adjust the brightness of the rear view monitor. Just twist knob left or right, or press the brightness control button. It is really useful when backing out with limited lighting.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:20 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
It must be the capacitance sensing inner door handle(s), mistakenly triggered by the rain water instead of the human hand.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
It must be the capacitance sensing inner door handle(s), mistakenly triggered by the rain water instead of the human hand.
Correct. My CLS550 does the same thing when I'm washing the car. I believe it's resistive sensing. Could be wrong.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jimihaha
well, going back to the topic...

I just recently learned that when you are on reverse, you can adjust the brightness of the rear view monitor. Just twist knob left or right, or press the brightness control button. It is really useful when backing out with limited lighting.
which one?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:03 PM
Racer

Well!!!!!

Originally Posted by jimihaha
it's not supposed to do that... that thing happened to me a few times, there's this one time that I was standing beside the MDX with the doors locked, then all of a sudden I heard the beeps and car unlocks with the keyfob in my pocket. I was just standing talking to someone and my pockets were not full with items that might have pressed the unlock button. Weird. Also, there are times that I go to our carport in the morning to drive to the office and found that the car was already unlocked. I always make sure to lock my car everytime I leave it in our carport. I also have issues with the rear tailgate opening and closing by itself.

Those weird occurances only happened when the keyfob was in the proximity range though... It never happened when I leave the car in a parking lot in the office or mall. Probably, frequency interference? I don't have any idea.... There's this also a part in my office's underground parking where the touch lock/unlock feature won't work. It only happened on a certain area if I park there.

I brought this "issue" to the dealer eventhough I know they won't be able to replicate those. They said that they found nothing wrong and the service advisor kept on insisting that I might just had the keyfob buttons accidentally pressed thus it seems like the locks are unlocking and the tailgate is opening/closing by themselves. I just wanted them to check if the fuses and battery are still ok. And if something bad happened with my car (knock on wood, theft or car nap) because of the faulty lock, I have documentation that I brought up this issue with them and Acura would have to be liable for it.
More Rain this AM in San Diego, OH,, and we got SNOW as well! After leaving the restaurant this AM from breakfast, raining hard outside, Approached the MDX and like before it Opened up the doors!!!
Old 12-31-2014, 12:14 PM
Racer

Headlights!

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
which one?
To set this up,,, 50 Miles East of San Diego in the high desert is the San Diego Astronomy site. One key thing these professionals do is take long time photographic exposures of distant galaxy's. When you leave the site you are NOT to turn on your headlights. Well, I was unable to turn off my lights when driving till just now.

Car is off, in park, parking break "ON". You start the car, headlights come on. If you turn the light switch to OFF, Headlights turn off. If you release the brake and switch to drive, lights turn back on.. If you release the brake, then Gently engage the brake again, say 15% engage, first locking slot, and then go to Drive, the lights Stay Off. You are driving very slow, 5 MPH, and once you leave the main staging area, you then release your break and the lights come back on..
Old 01-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
WHAT are you typing about????
The following users liked this post:
ezgobob (05-24-2015)
Old 01-05-2015, 02:27 PM
AcuraEnthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I just learned last week the autoread function for text messages on your smart phone when connected to Bluetooth. When I first bought the car, it took me a week to realize the Rear entertainment control panel comes off and is a remote.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
not much of hidden feature, but …
I tried out the rear entertainment when I first got the MDX. Later...I felt that the sound quality was crap…

turn off the rear entertainment speakers to get the full sound!
Old 01-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Racer

Also,,,,

Originally Posted by RSGGSR
not much of hidden feature, but …
I tried out the rear entertainment when I first got the MDX. Later...I felt that the sound quality was crap…

turn off the rear entertainment speakers to get the full sound!
You do get a small ICON in the display showing the rear speakers are Muted. However the rear speakers are not muted for all audio functions, like AM radio reception, but does show up if you are listening to XM radio.. Not sure why that is.. ALSO!!!! Be aware that the steering wheel volume acts differently than the Volume control on the dash, the one you push in or push out... In particular when you are using the rear entertainment system...
RSGGSR (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Cruisin'

in those first few days, there were so many icons I had to get used to, I did not notice.

I'll have to try out the different volume controls to see if I notice the difference.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:50 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Any other hidden features for the MDX?
Old 03-28-2015, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure if it is "hidden", but if you have the truck running and are on the bluetooth phone and want to turn the motor off and go right to ACC mode (because you just parked).....put the car in park, hold the shift level selector button in with one hand and hit the push button start with the other. It goes right to ACC and your call is not dropped.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Another one....

When driving and changing lanes...just tap your turn signal slightly (before it clicks and holds for either left or right turn). You will get 3 flashes of the turn signal and it turns off.

So, push it hard enough to move, but not enough to "click" into place and continue to flash.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Racer

Thanks

Originally Posted by Stu's2004TL
Not sure if it is "hidden", but if you have the truck running and are on the bluetooth phone and want to turn the motor off and go right to ACC mode (because you just parked).....put the car in park, hold the shift level selector button in with one hand and hit the push button start with the other. It goes right to ACC and your call is not dropped.
OH WOW!!! Did not know this, neither did my dealer! Thanks!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Another way of doing this is to press start/stop button before shifting to Park
Old 04-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not sure I would call this a hidden feature but when streaming Pandora from my iPhone 6 to the Pandora feature in the MDX it always sounded weak and lacked any balls. I would always have to turn up the volume real high to get it to sound decent when streaming Pandora wirelessly from my phone.

My phone was running low on juice recently so I plugged it in to the USB port to charge it while listening to Pandora and all-of-a-sudden BAM, the sound was way better. I use Pandora a lot and hatted how shitty it sounded... It only took me 6 months to stumble upon this.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
which one?

Sorry for the delayed response, the big knob in the center of the console, the one you use to select things in the nav.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just bought a 2016 MDX and I love everything about it....i can't seem to figure out how to put it into ACC mode after its been running so i don't drop a call. Tried this but it didnt work due to it being push button selector...can anyone help??
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone else find the "shelf" in the glove compartment?
Old 05-16-2015, 11:42 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by GujuTL
Just bought a 2016 MDX and I love everything about it....i can't seem to figure out how to put it into ACC mode after its been running so i don't drop a call. Tried this but it didnt work due to it being push button selector...can anyone help??
I don't think its possible in 2016, check the screen shots below from 14 and 16 manuals and how there is no gray arrow from on to accessory for 2016

jchoi5 (05-16-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 04:59 PM
Racer

SH-AWD and the RAIN!!!

OK, so it was a miracle, it rained in San Diego,,,, so we don't get much experience while driving in the rain. I noticed this several times and did some experimenting as well.

If you are watching the SH-AWD display, and you have your wipers set to AUTO, this only works in AUTO, and it starts to rain heavy the wipers will go faster and faster as it rains harder. Even if you have the time delay set for slow or medium delay, it will speed up based on road speed and the intensity of the rain,,,

HOWEVER I noticed that the SH-AWD display would change from mostly front wheel drive to a more AWD display.. Another words more power was going to the rear wheels...

So I did some more experimenting, go from AUTO to wipers set to always on, AWD display went back to more front wheel drive, same for FAST speed wipers.. Switched back to AUTO, and the bars on the rear wheel went from one bar to 3 bars, front went from 4 bars down to 2 bars..

Than I switched OFF the wipers all together, I know a bit dangerous in the rain, but SH-AWD display changed back to 80 front, 20 rear. I am sure folks no that if it is raining out, wipers on the front are going , set to auto, and you back up, the rear wiper comes on automatically even if it is in off.Needs to be in Auto so the Rain Sensor on the windshield detects the rain. 2015 SH-AWD, Advanced
Old 05-17-2015, 08:22 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by RSLTSX09XMNAVWX

If you are watching the SH-AWD display, and you have your wipers set to AUTO, this only works in AUTO, and it starts to rain heavy the wipers will go faster and faster as it rains harder. Even if you have the time delay set for slow or medium delay, it will speed up based on road speed and the intensity of the rain,,,
Advanced
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the time delay is actually a delay. I think it is a sensitivity setting for the rain sensors. i.e. less sensitive = more delay between cycles
Old 05-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Advanced

Try putting it in Neutral and then hitting the start/stop button from an engine running position.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:38 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

If the 2016 owner's manual has removed this feature, then there is no doubt that it cannot be done on the 2016 MDX, as on the 2014 model.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:03 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Try turning off the engine while still in Drive and foot on the brake (and idle stop not activated if applicable). This works on a Canadian TLX with the same push button gear selector but unsure if it works for American models.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kirill
I don't think its possible in 2016, check the screen shots below from 14 and 16 manuals and how there is no gray arrow from on to accessory for 2016

Thanks everyone for the suggestions...ive tried all of these ideas and non seem to work...when you push the engine start button the car shuts off...i guess theres no option to put it in ACC mode after its already running.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Cruisin'

Well mine, like someone else said, goes into ACC mode from car running when you press start/stop button with transmission in d, don't press park.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Drwzer
Well mine, like someone else said, goes into ACC mode from car running when you press start/stop button with transmission in d, don't press park.
In the 2016 model the car, when you push the start/stop button while in drive the car puts itself into park and shuts off. You must have a 14-15 model MDX
Old 05-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Cruisin'

Lol, no I definately have a 2016. Correct, the car engine shuts off and switches automatically to park, but it goes directly to ACC mode. Which is what you want, so you don't drop a call. I think this has been explained pretty well in this thread, if you can't get it to work, then your car needs to see a technician.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:39 PM
3rd Gear

Well here in Bellingham Washington, it is always raining! I'll have to find out what it's like when sunny!
Old 05-24-2015, 12:48 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

This is exactly what the SH-AWD excels in : wet and slippery roads.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:43 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
To get into ACC mode, try this (its a wild guess, but its how it works in my G37):

When you are in park and without your foot on the brake, double tap the start/stop button

The first tap should turn off the vehicle, the second tap MIGHT put it into ACC and prevent you from losing connection.

Ive read the QX60 also has no way to get into ACC from running-in-Park mode. It would be disappointing if the '16 MDX has the same "issue".
Old 05-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Cruisin'

Wrong and mdx is indeed capable of going to ACC mode from when engine is running; it is clearly described above how to do it.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Racer

Wrong and mdx is indeed capable of going to ACC mode from when engine is running; it is clearly described above how to do it.
Clearly the 2014 can, but the question here is if the 2016 can as well. The manual page is different, it does not show the other arrow to go from On to Accessory.

My procedure was only suggested because thats how it works on my car and I didnt see it suggested before. It wouldnt surprise me if it DOESNT work, but its worth a shot.

Infiniti did the same thing on the QX60 - there is no way to go from engine on to accessory without everything turning off first. And FWIW, having to do the procedure without the car in park is almost as useless and borderline unsafe.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:06 PM
Cruisin'

I quickly browsed my manual and those diagrams aren't even in there. It simply states the same method I described above and is the same as the diagram for the 2014 model.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:09 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chris03tl
And FWIW, having to do the procedure without the car in park is almost as useless and borderline unsafe.
The 2016 model goes automatically to park when you go to ACC mode, perfectly safe.
Old 05-24-2015, 06:42 PM
Racer

The 2016 model goes automatically to park when you go to ACC mode, perfectly safe.
Well thats good....but Im guessing the 14 and 15 dont

So does that mean for sure there is a way to go from Engine On to Acc. without losing bluetooth streaming/phone calls in the 2016 ? It wasnt something I tried when we test drove, but I will be trying if we get to keep one for a few days before deciding.

Quick Reply: Hidden Features Found On Your MDX?