Going from Rdx to mdx thoughts??

Old 10-08-2015, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going from Rdx to mdx thoughts??

i have 40k on the click of my 2014 Rdx. With a few minor issues (bad headlight,couple of noises, resurfaces the rotors) and one big pain bad shocks three times over to the point I have given up. In spite of these I have really enjoyed the Rdx but I have been looking at my options with other brands but I have come full circle back to acura. I have found myself from time to time wishing I had more room not seats but room. I am an avid golfer and fitting 4 guts and 4 sets of clubs can be done in the Rdx it is really tight. You have to take drivers out of the bags and really do a good job of packing. I have found myself looking at the mdx pretty seriously. The SHAWD is very attractive to me as I live in Minneapolis. That said if I do get the mdx I will always be stuck driving mt golf buddies.

Anyone gone from an Rdx to an mdx for the cargo room not for a growing family?

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:07 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Were you thinking new 16 model (tech, Acura watch, or Adv) or going for a CPO used 14 or 15 base/tech/adv model with the 6AT? You are also about 8-12 months out from the MDX MMC. That would give you about 4 models of MDX to pick from:
- cheaper 14 with some 1st year minor bugs
- 15 model with at solid 6AT; but, no Acura watch until Adv model
- 16 model with the new transmission+Acura watch options
- +17 model with new styling and maybe upgraded tech and better iPhone/android integration
Old 10-09-2015, 08:32 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I test drove the 16 RDX and liked it better than the MDX. It felt lighter on its feet and easier to drive. But It only has 25ft cargo space with the rear seats up, a lot less than the MDX at 45. My trade in - a 2008 CR-V had 35 feet of cargo space and on trips we loaded it to the hilt several times, I could not buy something smaller so the MDX was the car.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:18 AM
3rd Gear

I have a 2016, SH-AWD w/ Tech and have had 2016 RDX FWD loaner. I was surprised how much more I enjoyed the MDX than the RDX, especially FWD. MDX had a more refined, luxurious feel inside with a more secure feel while driving, but this may be due to the MDX AWD vs the RDX FWD. When I hit the gas on the FWD, the RDX tended to spin one of the front tires. The MDX didn't feel larger or heavier than the RDX like I thought it would and the MDX gives you the IDS driving mode options including sport mode which the RDX didn't have. The RDX tranny sport mode didn't come close to matching the feel of the IDS sport mode for me. Don't get me wrong, I think the RDX is a nice ride and is very similar to the MDX, but I really like the ride of the MDX with the bonus of the extra space and an option to use the third row seating if needed.
Old 10-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I went from a 2013 RDX FWD to a 2015 MDX FWD for the cargo room. Living in FL I don't really need the SH-AWD. While I enjoyed the the RDX and was the only one in the vehicle 90% of the time, I wanted more space. Toting two larger dogs (55 & 65 lbs) around is much easier in the MDX. Traveling long distance with one dog in a kennel is definitely better. The back seats fold flat in the MDX where they didn't in the RDX. With the dog kennel in the RDX I needed a 2 X 4 under one end to lift the back and it still wasn't even. Plus with the additional luggage for two the space was filled. There's also storage behind the back seats under the cargo area where a spare tire would normally go. The MDX also feels much more planted in curves being wider. Very happy with the move. The MDX is just the right size for me. Not too large, not too small.

Last edited by 1bythesea; 10-10-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:33 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
I am in the same boat that I want to trade-in my 14 RDX for a MDX because of cargo space. I realize that a 17 MDX may be coming in coming Spring and Summer. I am only a family of 3 so typically the number of seats serve. The MDX is much more comfortable though and one of the incentives to me is the additional safety features that are now available for the 16'. I am now just holding off to try the 16 Lexus RX to see how it is like. The 16 Lexus RX is much larger than a RDX but just slightly smaller the the MDX. Lexus is also known for quality, but of course it is more expensive.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:16 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the tip that you can squeeze four golf bags in the RDX, by taking out the drivers first. May have to do that when golf season starts again next year.
Had looked with envy at the MDX, but could not justify the larger size for the few times I would had actually needed it.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:10 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by kareshi
I am in the same boat that I want to trade-in my 14 RDX for a MDX because of cargo space. I realize that a 17 MDX may be coming in coming Spring and Summer. I am only a family of 3 so typically the number of seats serve. The MDX is much more comfortable though and one of the incentives to me is the additional safety features that are now available for the 16'. I am now just holding off to try the 16 Lexus RX to see how it is like. The 16 Lexus RX is much larger than a RDX but just slightly smaller the the MDX. Lexus is also known for quality, but of course it is more expensive.
The 16 Lexus RX is actually smaller for cargo than the RDX. Its physically larger, and has more interior volume, but the cargo space is a mere 18 cu ft, where the RDX is 25. By comparison the MDX with its 3rd row down, holds 45.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by KneeDragr
The 16 Lexus RX is actually smaller for cargo than the RDX. Its physically larger, and has more interior volume, but the cargo space is a mere 18 cu ft, where the RDX is 25. By comparison the MDX with its 3rd row down, holds 45.
Sheesh only 18 cubes, I thought maybe you were wrong, I double checked and surely enough, damn, that is nothing! How small is the nx trunk space?
Old 03-04-2016, 07:48 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I just upgraded from 07 RDX Tech to 16 MDX Advance w/ SHAWD and it doesn't handle as much like a car as the RDX, but for it's size is very nimble. I noticed already in poor weather the MDX just feels more stable and safer. Could be 9 years of improved technology or just new car love but I seem to notice it.
The following users liked this post:
LuvMyTSX (03-20-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neo1738
I just upgraded from 07 RDX Tech to 16 MDX Advance w/ SHAWD and it doesn't handle as much like a car as the RDX, but for it's size is very nimble. I noticed already in poor weather the MDX just feels more stable and safer. Could be 9 years of improved technology or just new car love but I seem to notice it.
Its the much better functioning SH-AWD, in our rdx's, the SHAWD really only functions when we are deep into the throttle and on a curve. The mdx really only requires a mild curve and not very much throttle.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM
mrgold35

It has been +5 months with no response from OP? Curious to find out what direction (s)he decided on with the MDX.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Sheesh only 18 cubes, I thought maybe you were wrong, I double checked and surely enough, damn, that is nothing! How small is the nx trunk space?
A friend of mine has an NX and you can only fit 1 big luggage and a small one in the cargo. Loading height is also high.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Acuraziners! Just joined the club and purchased a 2016 MDX SH-AWD Tech AWPlus.

I went to the lot was set to purchase a RDX.
After test drive both RDX and MDX, switch and purchase the MDX instead. The RDX feels a little cramp for me as I am 6'1. Since the RDX no longer have SH, it doesn't hug the road as good as the MDX with SH.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jimihaha
A friend of mine has an NX and you can only fit 1 big luggage and a small one in the cargo. Loading height is also high.
In the past people only bought crossovers because they offered more space. Now they buy them because they like being higher off the ground! I still like some utility in my crossover!
Old 03-09-2016, 05:00 PM
Instructor

In the past people only bought crossovers because they offered more space. Now they buy them because they like being higher off the ground! I still like some utility in my crossover!
Like my wife, she chose the RDX (I wanted the Accord Hybrid or TLX for work commute) and the main reason is she wanted to be seat higher off the ground to see better (she used to drive a rav4 then a civic). I was actually giving my MDX to my wife so that we can get the Accord Hybrid or TLX but she said it's too big for her, hard to park. RDX beats the NX when it comes to utility. Now I wonder, do we really need the MDX when we already have an RDX? lol
Old 03-09-2016, 07:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Like my wife, she chose the RDX (I wanted the Accord Hybrid or TLX for work commute) and the main reason is she wanted to be seat higher off the ground to see better (she used to drive a rav4 then a civic). I was actually giving my MDX to my wife so that we can get the Accord Hybrid or TLX but she said it's too big for her, hard to park. RDX beats the NX when it comes to utility. Now I wonder, do we really need the MDX when we already have an RDX? lol
Really depends what you need it for. Is it the increased tow capacity? Seating capacity? Rear trunk space? Better highway stability? If no to all the above, then maybe not.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Really depends what you need it for. Is it the increased tow capacity? Seating capacity? Rear trunk space? Better highway stability? If no to all the above, then maybe not.
It's just a thought that won't be a reality. Those things you mentioned are the advantages of the MDX and I am not willing to give those up yet. The MDX is pretty comfortable in long trips. We haven't taken the RDX yet on our out of town trips, but whenever I think and decided to take the RDX for a long drive, I always end up loading our stuff in the MDX. I think the RDX will be fine for us on long drives too, I will find out one of these days.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:06 PM
Suzuka Master

It's just a thought that won't be a reality. Those things you mentioned are the advantages of the MDX and I am not willing to give those up yet. The MDX is pretty comfortable in long trips. We haven't taken the RDX yet on our out of town trips, but whenever I think and decided to take the RDX for a long drive, I always end up loading our stuff in the MDX. I think the RDX will be fine for us on long drives too, I will find out one of these days.
I see so you currently own both? I think that the mdx might get even better highway economy than the rdx or at the very least the same. Makes more sense to me to take a larger (therefore more safe in an accident) and more stable vehicle on the highway.
Old 03-20-2016, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm also looking to switch from my '11 RDX (currently 111,000 miles) to possibly an MDX or Pilot. Right now it's just the two of us and a 115lb dog, but we are trying for a family and if that works out, a larger vehicle would be handy. The RDX can get small pretty quickly if you add another 1-2 people and/or pack up the cargo space. I love the RDX for its nimbleness and am just a little worried the MDX (or any larger vehicle) will be bulky and not as easy to drive and park.

My local dealership was having an event yesterday and mailed an offer for $2k above blue book for my RDX, but after reading here that a pretty significant MMC is due this year, I decided to wait.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:05 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
I'm also looking to switch from my '11 RDX (currently 111,000 miles) to possibly an MDX or Pilot. Right now it's just the two of us and a 115lb dog, but we are trying for a family and if that works out, a larger vehicle would be handy. The RDX can get small pretty quickly if you add another 1-2 people and/or pack up the cargo space. I love the RDX for its nimbleness and am just a little worried the MDX (or any larger vehicle) will be bulky and not as easy to drive and park.

My local dealership was having an event yesterday and mailed an offer for $2k above blue book for my RDX, but after reading here that a pretty significant MMC is due this year, I decided to wait.
I've love my RDX; but, it is really a in town commuter/errand vehicle. I've taken it on trips; but, had to get a roof rack carrier for the needed extra space for 3. The 2nd Gen MDX is a perfect hwy vehicle and it drive smaller than it is on the open road. I also get better mpgs in my MDX with 3-4 people and roof rack compared to my RDX with 2-3 people with roof rack. Unfortunately, the MDX Plus on the hwy are quickly a minus in town (wider, 14-15 mpg, poorer visibility, slower acceleration).

A 3rd Gen MDX with sh-awd would split the difference of the 1st Gen RDX and 2nd Gen MDX as a good compromise for the best in town and hwy characteristics for room, acceleration, maneuverability, mpgs, and comfort.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
LuvMyTSX (03-25-2016), Mr.Tea (03-27-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 11:45 AM
Instructor

I see so you currently own both? I think that the mdx might get even better highway economy than the rdx or at the very least the same. Makes more sense to me to take a larger (therefore more safe in an accident) and more stable vehicle on the highway.
Yes, we own a 2015 RDX Base fwd (wife's) and a 2014 MDX Tech awd.

I'm quite positive that my MDX can get more mpg on long freeway drives than the RDX, but we have to take the RDX on a long drive yet. On everyday home-work-home driving, they are about the same.

You are correct, more sense on taking the more stable and comfortable car in long drives which makes my wife really happy not putting those miles on her car lol.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes, we own a 2015 RDX Base fwd (wife's) and a 2014 MDX Tech awd.

I'm quite positive that my MDX can get more mpg on long freeway drives than the RDX, but we have to take the RDX on a long drive yet. On everyday home-work-home driving, they are about the same.

You are correct, more sense on taking the more stable and comfortable car in long drives which makes my wife really happy not putting those miles on her car lol.

Personally, I would rather be in the MUCH more luxurious mdx than the rdx, and the height adjustable passenger seat in the mdx makes for a much better ride.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:39 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
We just traded our 12 RDX for a 14 MDX Tech. My kids are grown and we really don't need the 7 passenger seating, but I can't tell you in 2 years how many times we ran out of space in the RDX.

The MDX is profoundly quieter on the road, and the ride is so much better. Also I just took it on our first 220 mile round trip and we got a solid 28 mpg - better than our RDX ever did. Plus the added safety features are a big bonus.

The RDX was a fun little car, and I suspect for a lot of people the turbo would be a plus. But really, had I known the MDX was that much better on the road we would have traded months ago.