Finally bought a 2015 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 10:15 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Finally bought a 2015 MDX

We looked at Infinity (sluggish), X5 (nice but more expensive), Lexus (7 seater is too box-y), and a few others but came back to buying an MDX. We were looking for a good 7 seater for a 4 person family that has the option of a third row when family visits. Kids wanted DVD so initially we were going to get Advanced. But finally we got Tech package and are getting Acura dealership to install dual headrest DVD players so that both kids can watch separate movies. Everyone is excited! Hopefully this will be a great family car.

Thanks for everyone's tips on this forum!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:38 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by drdomore
We looked at Infinity (sluggish), X5 (nice but more expensive), Lexus (7 seater is too box-y), and a few others but came back to buying an MDX. We were looking for a good 7 seater for a 4 person family that has the option of a third row when family visits. Kids wanted DVD so initially we were going to get Advanced. But finally we got Tech package and are getting Acura dealership to install dual headrest DVD players so that both kids can watch separate movies. Everyone is excited! Hopefully this will be a great family car.

Thanks for everyone's tips on this forum!
Congrats! It is EVEN cheaper (now and long run) to buy each of your kid an iPad!!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:39 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Congrats on getting the new MDX.

Welcome to Acurazine.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:06 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
There is NO vehicle in the class that offers anything close to the MDX. Best choice!

Still amazing getting close to 2 years into the current vehicle, and still nothing is like it, from a performance, comfort, features, or more impressively, fuel economy, perspective. Especially when vs. what people compare it to and come back from after looking.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:58 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Tigmd99
Congrats! It is EVEN cheaper (now and long run) to buy each of your kid an iPad!!
You think so? Movies on iTunes are expensive (14-15/movie for new release) whereas we can get Redbox DVDs for 1.5/movie. Plus kids have an existing collection of favorite movie on DVDs.

They already have an iPad that they share. So, we will have both options
Old 01-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You think so? Movies on iTunes are expensive (14-15/movie for new release) whereas we can get Redbox DVDs for 1.5/movie. Plus kids have an existing collection of favorite movie on DVDs.

They already have an iPad that they share. So, we will have both options
True...but iTunes also offers RENTAL for $3...more expensive but more selection than Redbox. (I use Redbox a lot too.)

But on a long trip, you are locked into what is available in your DVD collection.

With iPad, you can also stream Youtube with whatever they are interested in...my kids love to watch Minecraft videos. Of course, this does require you to have lots of data on your cell phone family plan.

With iTunes, all your rental and buys are available across all iPad and iPhone.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:19 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Congrats and welcome to AZ.. What color combo did you get?
Old 01-28-2015, 12:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Congrats Doc. Pics?

Which Lexus did you look at? The GX or the LX570?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM
2015 MDX SH-AWD TECH

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Another congrats here.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:12 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JT4
Congrats and welcome to AZ.. What color combo did you get?
We got a White Diamond Pearl exterior color. We wanted a parchment interior but they had none in stock and we wanted to close the deal. So we went with our next choice Graystone.

Thank you for the warm welcome here!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Congrats Doc. Pics?

Which Lexus did you look at? The GX or the LX570?
Can't post pics yet as we don't have the car. It is still with dealer who is waiting on DVD parts to arrive. They put us in a loaner for now.

We looked at GX and LX both. Lexus are nice cars. What swayed us was that we need 3rd row very infrequently and Acura seemed right sized for our needs

Last edited by drdomore; 01-28-2015 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RDX FAN
Another congrats here.
Thank you!!!
Old 01-28-2015, 08:10 PM
3rd Gear

What a great idea. I recently just purchased my MDX and I opted to not get the Entertainment package. Headrest DVD player sounds even better. Which brand did you go with? Is it integrated with your sound system? Or does it just run off the headsets. Thanks
Old 01-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Safety Car

Can't post pics yet as we don't have the car. It is still with dealer who is waiting on DVD parts to arrive. They put us in a loaner for now.

We looked at GX and LX both. Lexus are nice cars. What swayed us was that we need 3rd row very infrequently and Acura seemed right sized for our needs
Ah that makes sense.

Did you look at things like Macan, etc? Or just lexus and acura?
Old 01-28-2015, 08:37 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by beazur
What a great idea. I recently just purchased my MDX and I opted to not get the Entertainment package. Headrest DVD player sounds even better. Which brand did you go with? Is it integrated with your sound system? Or does it just run off the headsets. Thanks
We got the one that Acura dealer offered. We got it packaged into our financing. I can provide model details when I take delivery of actual car. It apparently takes about 5 days to order the part as dealer did not have it in storage. It has wireless headphones and can be integrated to cars audio system as well (I need to see this in action to know how seamless it is when I take delivery)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:39 PM
10th Gear

Ah that makes sense.

Did you look at things like Macan, etc? Or just lexus and acura?
No, did not look at Porsche Macan. I have ridden in them but I don't see them as good family cars. Call me old fashioned
Old 01-28-2015, 11:29 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Congratulations on your new car.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:41 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I just bought my wife a red FWD base model. She loves everything about it, and this is coming from a woman who usually could care less about anything auto-related.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 08:46 AM
Safety Car

^
Women seem to LOVE MDX.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^
Women seem to LOVE MDX.
Ditto.

I had wanted the Honda Odyssey (about $10K less comparing the base FWD MDX and the Odyssey EX-L) but my wife liked the Acura MDX. She felt the Odyssey was a bit too large (it's really just longer than the MDX) and likes to sit up a bit higher. The one thing that the MDX offered which I liked was the option for SH-AWD. I actually prefer for the car to sit a bit lower as it is a lower center of gravity for the vehicle. The Odyssey was easier to get in/out of for the 3rd row seats (not to mention the power sliding doors) and has a crazy amount of cargo space. What surprised me too was that the turning radius for the Odyssey is smaller than the MDX, though they are comparable.

Since she was going to be the primary driver, we went with the MDX.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by paigoomein
Ditto.

I had wanted the Honda Odyssey (about $10K less comparing the base FWD MDX and the Odyssey EX-L) but my wife liked the Acura MDX. She felt the Odyssey was a bit too large (it's really just longer than the MDX) and likes to sit up a bit higher. The one thing that the MDX offered which I liked was the option for SH-AWD. I actually prefer for the car to sit a bit lower as it is a lower center of gravity for the vehicle. The Odyssey was easier to get in/out of for the 3rd row seats (not to mention the power sliding doors) and has a crazy amount of cargo space. What surprised me too was that the turning radius for the Odyssey is smaller than the MDX, though they are comparable.

Since she was going to be the primary driver, we went with the MDX.
We actually traded an Odyssey in for the MDX. It was the second Odyssey my wife had and she did not want another. A minivan is tough to beat when it comes to cargo carrying efficiency, ease of ingress/egress, and perfect when you have little ones, but my better half was tired of driving around "a bus".
Old 01-30-2015, 08:17 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by hondu
We actually traded an Odyssey in for the MDX. It was the second Odyssey my wife had and she did not want another. A minivan is tough to beat when it comes to cargo carrying efficiency, ease of ingress/egress, and perfect when you have little ones, but my better half was tired of driving around "a bus".
We looked at the Odyssey too. Easy to get in/out, lots of storage, 3rd row is a real 3rd row where a normal adult can sit (as opposed to a cramped 3rd row in MDX). I really liked small thougtful features like beverage cooling compartment in front dash, a trash bag receptacle between 1st and 2nd row, privacy mirror to talk with kids in back rows without having to turn around etc. On top of that you get Honda technology and reliability. Maybe some of these are ideas for MDX.

Wife did not want to drive a mini-bus and thought the Odyssey looks and drives like an old car.

So, MDX it is. We take delivery tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2015, 08:33 AM
10th Gear

We got the one that Acura dealer offered. We got it packaged into our financing. I can provide model details when I take delivery of actual car. It apparently takes about 5 days to order the part as dealer did not have it in storage. It has wireless headphones and can be integrated to cars audio system as well (I need to see this in action to know how seamless it is when I take delivery)
It's Advent brand. Both head rests can play a separate DVD or mirror same DVD. It comes with wireless headphones, an external USB and RGB inputs and a remote. I haven't explored all features yet, but, it can play radio and on air TV as well (I think). I need to spend some time exploring the manual
Old 02-26-2015, 02:16 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I purchance A New MDX ADV w/ Ent

My first Honda/Acura.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Advanced

I purchase a 2015 white MDX adv and ent with cross bars, surfboard holder, adv running boards, 1st,2nd, 3rd row sit weather mats (oem), living tray, wheel locks, bumper protector (metal), moonroof deflector, side bumper protectors, cargo cover, cargo net and all OEM material. Non OEM material, Chrome pillar post, dash kit, dual dash camera, new mdx metal petals with floor foot rest. On wish list tow hitch, bike rack for tow hitch, front sport trim, fog lights, illusions Acura lights, wood grain steering wheel, and wood grain shift knob. And possible front and rear bush guard rails.

Last edited by sumoroach; 03-25-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sumoroach
I purchase a 2015 white MDX adv and ent with cross bars, surfboard holder, adv running boards, 1st,2nd, 3rd row sit weather mats (oem), living tray, wheel locks, bumper protector (metal), moonroof deflector, side bumper protectors, cargo cover, cargo net and all OEM material. Non OEM material, Chrome pillar post, dash kit, dual dash camera, new mdx metal petals with floor foot rest. On wish list tow hitch, bike rack for tow hitch, front sport trim, fog lights, illusions Acura lights, wood grain steering wheel, and wood grain shift knob. And possible front and rear bush guard rails.
And s full size 19" spare tire.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:16 AM
6th Gear

I recently traded in my 2007 RDX tech for a 2015 MDX SHAWD Tech Black/Ebony. My wife was pregnant with the first when I got the RDX back in 2007, and we just had our third kid now, so we were definitely outgrowing the RDX (my wife has a Pilot and is usually the one carting the kids around). I've had it for a few weeks now and love it so far.