Driver 1 and 2 Presets Not Activated When Starting Car

Old 12-10-2016, 09:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver 1 and 2 Presets Not Activated When Starting Car

My 2015 MDX Tech (42,000 miles) has started not setting the steering wheel to the presets associated with the driver 1 and 2 presets. The center display says Driver 1 or 2 is in the car, but when I start the car the steering wheel does not go into the preset position. When the preset functions as it should, the preset button for 1 or 2 on the door will light up and the steering wheel will go into the proper position. When it is not working correctly, when I start the car the steering wheel will go down, but once the starter engages the steering wheel stops moving and does not complete going into the preset position, which involves coming all the way down and all the way extended towards me, and the light for the preset on the door does not light up.

When it does work correctly, which is maybe 2% of the time now, the steering wheel completes going into the preset position (down all the way and extended all the way) and the light on the door lights up for 1 or 2, depending on which key is used.

Has anyone else run into this problem? If so, did you figure out a solution for it? I haven't talked to my dealership yet, but will when I take it in for the next service.

Thanks
Old 12-28-2016, 11:10 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stuff like this is why I'm inclined to go for the extended warranty. So many bells and whistles...
Old 12-28-2016, 11:16 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Any chance you have both key fobs in the car? Ive noticed if i use my key and my wife has hers in her bag the presets will not work.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:56 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply. The two keys are never in the car at the same time. I have one and a friend has the other at his house as a backup, so they're usually not even in the same vicinity. I agree that things like this are why I am considering the extended warranty, which I normally do not purchase.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have a 2016 Advance and sometimes the steering wheel doesn't go into the Driver 1 position at times. Took it to the dealer after catching it on video and was told that it's because my battery was low. They ended up replacing my battery under warranty and noted that usually when the battery is low, all non-essential systems are shut off (limp mode). For the 2016 Advance, the first sign of low power is the Auto-Start Stop is disabled at a stop and for me the second sign is the driver settings not getting in place.

Side note: I have the Acura Care warranty due to the amount of Safety Suites we have on this car. On the 2014 TL (Traded in), I never bothered since it didn't have as much.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:18 PM
10th Gear

Texas325, thank you for your suggestion on the battery. I replaced it yesterday and so far the memory recall is working properly again. I have felt for a while the battery was low, even asked the service dept. to check it last time it was in, but they said it was fine.

thanks again!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by flcoasterguy
Texas325, thank you for your suggestion on the battery. I replaced it yesterday and so far the memory recall is working properly again. I have felt for a while the battery was low, even asked the service dept. to check it last time it was in, but they said it was fine.

thanks again!
You're welcome! My dealership recommended me to get a battery tender when the battery is low. The first sign is the non-essential system shutting off. You know when the battery is really low or bad when all the safety suites shut down (Christmas lights showing up on the dash).
Old 01-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Steering wheel not telescoping at start up was a sure indicator of low battery on the RL. RL's would eat batteries. I never had one last a full 3 years.
Looks like simialr issue on the MDX

Search this Thread