Dash lit up like a christmas tree

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dash lit up like a christmas tree

To start off I will be calling my dealer in the morning, but on my way home tonight my dash lit up with 8 different error messages. All of a sudden the car wouldn't accelerate, the steering felt like it had no power steering and the acura messages just kept poping up on the nave screen. Here are a couple screen shots and a list of the errors.

LDW
FCW
VSA
EPS
SH-AWD
Trailer stability assist problem (yet I dont have trailering package)
Hill start assist problem
emissions system

Not sure if any of you have had this happen...I am not even sure I could drive it on the freeway if I wanted to. It takes a long time to get up to speed and the engine is very load like I am stuck in 2nd gear or something.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ there is a similar thread on the exact same issue, and in fact, I think he made reference to the xmas tree too. This is what worries me about the TLX coming out....too much tech these days
Old 03-29-2014, 08:22 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Don't drive it. Get it flat bedded the dealer.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
DTC P2138: Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor A/B (Throttle Position (TP) Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

Let us know if there are any other DTCs listed on the screen.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Intermediate

I will when I get home tonight...I didnt drive it today, but when I called the dealer they thought that I had a drop in voltage...seems weird though cause it happened when I had been driving for about 10 min. I started it up this morning and had all the same codes so I left it in the garage and took the Cadi to work.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this thing happen to me but dealer told me its a glitch and re boot my car nothing really wrong with my car they said .
Old 03-30-2014, 06:09 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MIGBERN
this thing happen to me but dealer told me its a glitch and re boot my car nothing really wrong with my car they said .
A glitch that could get someone killed? What if you're making a left turn and the car goes into limp mode and a semi ready to T-bone you and you can't accelerate?
The following users liked this post:
Jotas (03-30-2014)
Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
^^^^^

Unfortunately, that's life.

As the electronic systems become more and more complex in today's hi-tech vehicles, the more likely non-reproducible glitches will come up randomly.

Not even top notch automakers in reliability, such as Toyota and Honda, are totally immune to "lemon cars" and computer glitches.

Unless that tens and hundreds of MDX owners are reporting this same glitch problem or that failure occurrence is reproducible at the dealership (like the current GM ignition switch problem), otherwise the dealership won't do a lot, other than simply resetting the car computer.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
We've seen it a few times in new MDX's, and if I remember correctly, each time it was due to a crank position sensor not having been learned/programmed correctly from the factory, then throwing codes.

Each time, it was the same thing, and once diagnosed, didn't return.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:28 PM
Intermediate

I should no more tomorrow...roadside picked it up yesterday but as of right now it is still sitting and the dealer and hasn't been looked at.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nixonride03
I should no more tomorrow...roadside picked it up yesterday but as of right now it is still sitting and the dealer and hasn't been looked at.
Probably waiting for the system to rest itself and then they can say, "Can't reproduce problem".
Old 04-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

That is exactly what happened. They called last night and said it didn't show up for them! They are going to keep it today and let me know if it reproduces.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Does the MDX have a "RESET" button?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

I dont know...but they kept it over night and it reproduced...they said they have never seen anything like it before and have to call the techline or corprate...so at this point no idea still.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:25 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
at least the car misbehaved and they are trying to get it looked into.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Blame GM.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Intermediate

So they said they reset it and it didn't come back...I went and picked it up today...drove 15 miles and same thing happened again...when I picked it up the service dept. Was closed, there was no paper work, guy just walked me out to the car, gave me the keys and said if it happens again let them know...looks like it will be heading back tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Grrr...I feel your pain and the joy of electrical gremlins!!

...and from what I heard from a reliable source, these are not as rare as people would think with these newer Acuras. Can't confirm this statement though....

Last edited by weather; 04-06-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Grrr...I feel your pain and the joy of electrical gremlins!!

...and from what I heard from a reliable source, these are not as rare as people would think with these newer Acuras. Can't confirm this statement though....
They werent that rare before the new infotainment either. Just be happy that almost all the time they have no drivability impact. Mostly a temporary annoyance.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 AM
Intermediate

So this time they said they found a faulty accelerator pedal switch. They replaced it and test drove it for 11 miles and codes never came back....but 20 miles from the dealership all lights came back on...so now it is heading back to the dealership today...so far it has been there twice and they kept it for a week each time...looks like I will be withoit it for another week.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 PM
Cruisin'

So this time they said they found a faulty accelerator pedal switch. They replaced it and test drove it for 11 miles and codes never came back....but 20 miles from the dealership all lights came back on...so now it is heading back to the dealership today...so far it has been there twice and they kept it for a week each time...looks like I will be withoit it for another week.
Wow! This is serious, I hope they find out what's wrong. I just bought my 2014 MDX w/Tech package over the weekend.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by tcloud1
Wow! This is serious, I hope they find out what's wrong. I just bought my 2014 MDX w/Tech package over the weekend.
You have a gremlin which in my experience tend to be very hard to exorcise, since the codes are mostly red herrings. Sounds like you are heading to a lemon proceeding. After 5 trips if your dealer is smart and the thing doesn't go away he will offer you a new car prorating the miles driven. BTW, these things happen in all "families" hopefully in very low numbers.

Last edited by RL06tech; 04-14-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:03 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I know...it just sucks...I really like the MDX...wife was really pushing for an Audi Q7 but I was like no way they have a ton of electrical issues and bad reliability...Acura is known for outstanding reliability...lol...now that one is biting me in the ass...lol
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Pro

Yeah I know...it just sucks...I really like the MDX...wife was really pushing for an Audi Q7 but I was like no way they have a ton of electrical issues and bad reliability...Acura is known for outstanding reliability...lol...now that one is biting me in the ass...lol
You might get lucky and they'll hunt down the problem, on my RL it was a faulty trunk opening switch on the trunk that was draining my battery. But the fact remains the more electrical goods the more things to break and track down. Make sure that all electrical grounding points are checked. Often dealers forget to go farther than codes when all that is wrong is a simple electric contact somewhere. Don't despair, you are right audis suffer in general from infinitely more electrical issues.

Last edited by RL06tech; 04-14-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Lemon law time. You should get a new replacement car or full $$ buyback on this one.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by beach109
We've seen it a few times in new MDX's, and if I remember correctly, each time it was due to a crank position sensor not having been learned/programmed correctly from the factory, then throwing codes.

Each time, it was the same thing, and once diagnosed, didn't return.
^^As mentioned here, we have seen this more than once in new MDX's, and after service dug in and worked with tech line, ended up finding each time it was the crank position sensor not being learned from the factory. It takes some time to reset, and has to cool, but then all was fine.

We've seen it more than once, and it's an odd occurrence, but does not mean the car is defective. Mention crank position sensor un-learned and see if that rings any bells. Each time this has happened, it seemed to be the same reason for us...but even so, is not overly common. Just enough to know how it was fixed each time for ours.

Yours might be different, but I would venture to say it likely is not.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 AM
6th Gear

[QUOTE]

We had the same problem except that the car kept operating fine. I took it to
the dealer and luckily the lights were still all on. They kept the car for a day
and went through all of the wiring connectors for each system, unplugging and
replugging. The codes and lights have not come back since. They though possibly
a wheele sensor connection was not made properly at the dealership. We love our
MDX.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Intermediate

***Update****
They told me I had to disconnect the headrest monitors and radar detector and then they would check it again because they have done everything tech line told them to and nothing has worked. I then talked to the service manager and told him about the crank position sensor. He said they have talked to tech line and checked everything they said to check, but he would inform the tech of the crank sensor. My wife then picked up the car to get all the "aftermarket" electronics disconnected and the lights where on. I drove it the next day and she was back to normal, have been driving it everyday for 2 weeks and no lights have popped up. My guess is it was the sensor and they adjusted or reset it. As of now I am happy to have it back and will update if anything changes.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:20 PM
1st Gear

Here is what happened to me - 2014 MDX (tech package)

I've had the dashboard light up with every error message too

I brought it straight to my dealership - they took pictures of all the messages - then they kept it for 2 weeks and could not recreate the issue once.

Then the problem FOLLOWED me to my loaner 2014 MDX (non-tech package)

The common factor? It's my Samsung Note 3 phone.

Right now my key fob starts the car no issues - but when I backup in reverse the car screams at me that the KEY IS NOT DETECTED.

If I leave the cell phone in my house or office (not a realistic scenario) the issue goes away

I have no idea who is to blame here - Samsung or Acura - I am not sure what to do either at this point
The following users liked this post:
Nixonride03 (10-31-2014)
Old 05-29-2014, 09:28 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Is this Samsung-phone-Acura-MDX interference always reproducible, or just a random event ?
Old 05-30-2014, 02:43 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mkiwiet
Here is what happened to me - 2014 MDX (tech package)

I've had the dashboard light up with every error message too

I brought it straight to my dealership - they took pictures of all the messages - then they kept it for 2 weeks and could not recreate the issue once.

Then the problem FOLLOWED me to my loaner 2014 MDX (non-tech package)

The common factor? It's my Samsung Note 3 phone.

Right now my key fob starts the car no issues - but when I backup in reverse the car screams at me that the KEY IS NOT DETECTED.

If I leave the cell phone in my house or office (not a realistic scenario) the issue goes away

I have no idea who is to blame here - Samsung or Acura - I am not sure what to do either at this point
How is your Note 3 connected to the car? Bluetooth? plugged in? streaming audio?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Update: Been busy the past few months but thought I would update you guys with my experience...So I took it to a different dealership, the one I purchased the car from...they did all the tests and came back with the faulty accelerator pedal like the other dealership did...replaced it and it still did not work. They disconnected my ACC wiring for monitors, sub and radar detector and found that they where not the issue...then replaced the main engine harness...worked great for about a week and then the lights cam back on. So at this point the vehicle now has 14000 miles on it and over half its life has dealt with some electrical gremlin...I hate to say it but now 4+ trips into the shop for the same issue is crazy. I have to do some research on Lemon Laws in Washington State but looks like that is where I am headed.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:40 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sounds like you are in the realm of the WA Lemon Law. Where did you purchase your MDX? Let us know of their customer service. Did they EVER check the crank position sensor? Good luck to you.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To start off I will be calling my dealer in the morning, but on my way home tonight my dash lit up with 8 different error messages. All of a sudden the car wouldn't accelerate, the steering felt like it had no power steering and the acura messages just kept poping up on the nave screen. Here are a couple screen shots and a list of the errors.

LDW
FCW
VSA
EPS
SH-AWD
Trailer stability assist problem (yet I dont have trailering package)
Hill start assist problem
emissions system

Not sure if any of you have had this happen...I am not even sure I could drive it on the freeway if I wanted to. It takes a long time to get up to speed and the engine is very load like I am stuck in 2nd gear or something.
I had the similar problem. I had a thread asking that.Don't know how to post it here with my smartphone though.

FYI, the dealer replaced the whole fuel system and it seems fixed after that.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Intermediate

the post by mkiwiet got me thinking, I had a Galaxy S4, I have since switched to an Iphone 6...Since the swap I have not had any problems. I am going to continue to watch it and update later on...I have however noticed that the text messages no longer come through on the dash.
Old 07-21-2016, 08:05 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

This just happened to me when I tried to start up my 2014 MDX. First time seeing something like this. Tried restarting car without luck. Dealer is closed for the day. Did this ever get resolved? Hoping to not have this live at the dealer on and off for the month.... :/
Old 07-27-2016, 03:48 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by AgentDSS
This just happened to me when I tried to start up my 2014 MDX. First time seeing something like this. Tried restarting car without luck. Dealer is closed for the day. Did this ever get resolved? Hoping to not have this live at the dealer on and off for the month.... :/
Not the OP, but try:

remove the battery terminal cables and then stomp on the brake pedal once/twice to consume any residual power the ABS system is holding - leave the terminals undone for ~10-30 minutes and attempt to restart.

no luck?

obtain a OBD reader ($20 at wallyworld these days) and see if there's any codes you can pull or clear. turn car off completely, then attempt to start.

that said, best option is take it to the dealer if you're still under warranty
Old 07-28-2016, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 808tesh
Not the OP, but try:

remove the battery terminal cables and then stomp on the brake pedal once/twice to consume any residual power the ABS system is holding - leave the terminals undone for ~10-30 minutes and attempt to restart.

no luck?

obtain a OBD reader ($20 at wallyworld these days) and see if there's any codes you can pull or clear. turn car off completely, then attempt to start.

that said, best option is take it to the dealer if you're still under warranty
They read the codes for free at Advance Auto and Auto Zone, if you don't want to buy one. I had the same issue with my ILX ... many many many many times. First couple times was diagnosed to be the battery, so it got replaced under warranty around 17k miles. Then it kept occurring, on and off until a couple months ago (67k miles), every time the dealer said nothing was wrong with the car, the battery just died. Acura corporate and my dealership investigated the car thoroughly at 67k miles (I have a lawsuit open against them, so props to my lawyer) and they found that the smart key system was drawing power from my battery even when the car was off and it resulted in a numerous dead batteries (which is when a bunch of warning lights/messages popped up), which ultimately caused my battery to be damaged (so... free "repairs" and free second battery at 67k miles) Haven't happened since, but we'll see...
Old 07-28-2016, 08:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
They read the codes for free at Advance Auto and Auto Zone, if you don't want to buy one. I.
Not in all states, CA for example no longer allows stores to provide that service.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:49 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
Not in all states, CA for example no longer allows stores to provide that service.
Well, in California, reading the codes probably causes some sort of cancer...

Quick Reply: Dash lit up like a christmas tree