any news on the 2017 mdx?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 09:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
It's also just not necessary for the money they start the MDX at. $43K is $12,000 less than what the X5 35 starts at and it has very similar performance numbers according to C&D. Braking is really the only thing that stands out as being weak on the MDX. If Acura is ever going to be taken seriously by the "big boys" and cross-shopped by those who buy and own them then they have to offer serious alternatives at prices that are a bit closer in line with what the German's charge while still offering value. A $60-62K MDX Type-S like I talked about would be a serious product at a serious price point with serious value that would actually make the German's sit up and take notice. Putting 300 hp in the MDX across the board does nothing for the brand and the German's won't blink or care.

So I just don't see any reason for the MDX to get more powerful across the board. The 3G debuted with less hp and less displacement than the 2G and it has sold in record numbers for Acura so going with 290 hp hasn't hurt the brand so far.
No, I don't mean to give the mdx the increased power across the lineup. They can leave the bottom level mdx's with the normal engine. But then give a type-s version a single turbo V6.

My point is that if they want to play with the big boys, then they can't sit there and tack on bigger wheels, sporty trim and badges and slightly stiffer suspension and call it a day. Even if they raised it to the same price. They need to legitimately make changes and call it a type-s. Like they need to make a lot more power. It doesn't have to break the 5 second mark, but a think should get to around 5.1.

I drove a 2016 mdx for a couple days (rather hard) and I have to say, it wasn't bad for its' intended market, but needs a lot more to be considered a type-s model.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:10 PM
A-spec steering wheel ftw

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why is there even a discussion of an MDX type S model? that identity for acura went the wayside a long time ago. the NSX is a nice start, but we're years away from the trickle down effect.

Acura/Honda should just take a page out of Volvo's book. If you guys wanted something "faster" - @65 you're starting to look at Macan S territory. If you want a large "fast" SUV? cheap out with a Jeep SRT or go straight for the X5M.

I'm sorry, but i just dont see Acura aligning itself in that segment. The MDX is too important of a crutch. Would I pay for an MDX-R (type-S, etc etc)? sure! but would you buy one for 80k or the mass MDX market? the X5M and X6M are unique because there is a bit of a cult following. Even the GLE 63 AMG S doesn't have as nice of a following.

I'd rather they focus on other things, and make sure SH-AWD stays non haldex in style and turn that cabin into a true german competitor
Old 03-15-2016, 12:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JCL622
why is there even a discussion of an MDX type S model? that identity for acura went the wayside a long time ago. the NSX is a nice start, but we're years away from the trickle down effect.

Acura/Honda should just take a page out of Volvo's book. If you guys wanted something "faster" - @65 you're starting to look at Macan S territory. If you want a large "fast" SUV? cheap out with a Jeep SRT or go straight for the X5M.

I'm sorry, but i just dont see Acura aligning itself in that segment. The MDX is too important of a crutch. Would I pay for an MDX-R (type-S, etc etc)? sure! but would you buy one for 80k or the mass MDX market? the X5M and X6M are unique because there is a bit of a cult following. Even the GLE 63 AMG S doesn't have as nice of a following.

I'd rather they focus on other things, and make sure SH-AWD stays non haldex in style and turn that cabin into a true german competitor
Ummm because we can keep on dreaming and dreaming is free? I personally NEVER see an acura mdx-R or whatever happening just because Acura doesn't have the brand cache to command the prices. The nsx, is for whatever reason making a killing though (think I read that it is already sold out or something like that) or at least looks like it will be.

I personally think though if Acura was to really make a type-s or whatever, and they gave it a turbo V6 and sportier suspension..etc, it would actually sell in good numbers.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts

They can't keep talking about Precision Crafted Performance and have no performance models. Yes their interiors have to improve and yes other things could be improved - but if they talk about performance they need to bring it to the table. And it's probably better to start with a performance sedan than an SUV but at some point they have to start right? The only "performance" trim or model for the entire Acura lineup is the ILX A-Spec and that barely counts as such. I might even argue that even something like an MDX A-Spec with the 310 hp J, stickier tires, better brakes, some unique interior and exterior touches, and unique wheels would be worth it at this point if no new engines are ready. At least do something that gives them a starting point to build on for future models and something more exciting than the nothing exciting they have now.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by RDX10
Ummm because we can keep on dreaming and dreaming is free? I personally NEVER see an acura mdx-R or whatever happening just because Acura doesn't have the brand cache to command the prices. The nsx, is for whatever reason making a killing though (think I read that it is already sold out or something like that) or at least looks like it will be.

I personally think though if Acura was to really make a type-s or whatever, and they gave it a turbo V6 and sportier suspension..etc, it would actually sell in good numbers.
They can't keep talking about Precision Crafted Performance and have no performance models. Yes their interiors have to improve and yes other things could be improved - but if they talk about performance they need to bring it to the table. And it's probably better to start with a performance sedan than an SUV but at some point they have to start right? The only "performance" trim or model for the entire Acura lineup is the ILX A-Spec and that barely counts as such. I might even argue that even something like an MDX A-Spec with the 310 hp J, stickier tires, better brakes, some unique interior and exterior touches, and unique wheels would be worth it at this point if no new engines are ready. At least do something that gives them a starting point to build on for future models and something more exciting than the nothing exciting they have now.
I see both of your points. NSX may be sold out due to hype. let's see if they continue the model run into next year or call it early.

to both your points, it's been a long time since we've really seen anything, even the Type-S TL 3G/4G was kind of a let down compared to what others were selling. So even in the 4G they focused on the interior (remember the article about the car that Bruce Wayne would drive or w/e?)

I think they know they've missed the mark. Hell, when that ZDX came out, they should've shoehorned a V8 in there and they would get credit for being ahead of the curve.

Currently the J35 barely is on par with a X5 35i, and we are well into the product cycle where Bimmer will move on to the B engine of the "340i" nomenclature, with more power, more torque etc etc.

Acura has a choice, and you can tell there is internal fighting as all the latest news points towards all that internal reshuffling. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

But in the meantime, from one exec to another, the quickest and easiest way to deal with the market is to target RX buyers directly, and focus completely on the interior / refining the materials.

I can't wait to see what the new seats look like (supposedly more stitching?)

But i don't see honda or Acura being able to focus on both performance and tech / innovation at the same time. You can see just from product launches that all the departments are very disjointed.

if you want to talk about ideal? Delay 2017 MDX, figure out how to apply the electric motors over each rear wheel and lose some internal space probably. call it SH-AWD e-drive or w/e you want (eSH-AWD?) - paired to J35 up front, turn the car into a 2+2 SUV and have two driveshafts for distributing power (mimicking GT-R or SRT8)

put the MDX on air suspension + variable dampers and then copy an RX or Q7 interior and add LTE connectivity for the love of god. Upgrade the rear seat entertainment system because no content plays in ultra wide screen anyway or skip straight to hololens.

Charge 64000 base and top out at $79000. but hey, we can dream right?

was there any real confirmation that the 2017 MDX would integrate Garmin instead of Alpine?
Old 03-15-2016, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I see both of your points. NSX may be sold out due to hype. let's see if they continue the model run into next year or call it early.

to both your points, it's been a long time since we've really seen anything, even the Type-S TL 3G/4G was kind of a let down compared to what others were selling. So even in the 4G they focused on the interior (remember the article about the car that Bruce Wayne would drive or w/e?)

I think they know they've missed the mark. Hell, when that ZDX came out, they should've shoehorned a V8 in there and they would get credit for being ahead of the curve.

Currently the J35 barely is on par with a X5 35i, and we are well into the product cycle where Bimmer will move on to the B engine of the "340i" nomenclature, with more power, more torque etc etc.

Acura has a choice, and you can tell there is internal fighting as all the latest news points towards all that internal reshuffling. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

But in the meantime, from one exec to another, the quickest and easiest way to deal with the market is to target RX buyers directly, and focus completely on the interior / refining the materials.

I can't wait to see what the new seats look like (supposedly more stitching?)

But i don't see honda or Acura being able to focus on both performance and tech / innovation at the same time. You can see just from product launches that all the departments are very disjointed.

if you want to talk about ideal? Delay 2017 MDX, figure out how to apply the electric motors over each rear wheel and lose some internal space probably. call it SH-AWD e-drive or w/e you want (eSH-AWD?) - paired to J35 up front, turn the car into a 2+2 SUV and have two driveshafts for distributing power (mimicking GT-R or SRT8)

put the MDX on air suspension + variable dampers and then copy an RX or Q7 interior and add LTE connectivity for the love of god. Upgrade the rear seat entertainment system because no content plays in ultra wide screen anyway or skip straight to hololens.

Charge 64000 base and top out at $79000. but hey, we can dream right?

was there any real confirmation that the 2017 MDX would integrate Garmin instead of Alpine?
You are completely right, Acura HQ is so disjointed it isn't even funny. They keep talking about "precision crafted performance" and none of their current cars even come close to those claims. They want to focus on luxury and performance, but their current cars don't deliver on either.

The commercial for the new rdx shows it on a race track....if you ever took the new rdx anywhere near a track, it would roll over and crash on the first hairpin.

I still don't understand why acura is so dead set against a V8. Nearly everyone else has a V8. 290hp is nothing in the high end luxury market. Then give us a turbo 6 if you are so dead set against a V8.

I really don't see them fitting air suspension (though it would be brilliant) because it would cost too much. The Acura brand cache isn't strong enough to support the price it would require acura to go too deep in either direction. But I think a 5k price increase with a turbo 6 and some mild suspension upgrades is doable for Acura and the public.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:17 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Really? I guess I can see how people would think that right now given their stated strategy and their current lineup but I don't think that's really true - let's look at some of the timeline of the last few years a bit:

February 2014: Acura Business Planning Office formed with Berkman and Accavitti seemingly running the joint - tasked with essentially figuring out the future of Acura.

August 2014: TLX on sale debuting 8DCT and 9AT

January 2015: final NSX design debuts at NAIAS - resurrection of Acura and "Precision Crafted Performance"

February 2015: MMCed ILX goes on sale with 8DCT

February 2015: Ito steps aside and Hachigo takes over

April 2015: MMCed RDX goes on sale

July 2015: Accavitti Leaves his post and Ikeda takes over

August/September 2015: Berkman very quietly leaves the company

January 2016: Precision Concept and NAIAS - Hachigo speaking about "The next 30 years of Acura"

March 2016: MDX MMC with precision concept exterior details, updated powertrain, updated interior hitting at NYAS

The two constant threads running through that timeline is that Acura had admitted several times that their sedan lineup wasn't good enough AND that the improvements for the ILX and RDX were just steps in the direction they wanted to go and not necessarily the end point. Oh and Takata!

But looking at that timeline I see a few things: Accavitti and Berkman LEFT the company 18 months after being tasked with plotting the future of Acura. At the time the rumor mill was very strong with the idea that Hachigo, who took over 6 months before these guys left, didn't want to invest in Acura, didn't think Acura was worthwhile, and never would Acura get the support, mechanicals, design and engineering talent it needs to be truly competitive. Whatever Berkman and Accavitti wanted they weren't going to get so they both left.

Now that is either true or it isn't but in Jan 2016 they debuted the Precision Concept and the President of Honda got on stage and said that Acura was going to be relevant and interesting for the next 30 years. 3 months later we have the MDX debuting with design details from that concept. The much maligned 2006 Acura Advanced Sedan Concept (that debuted the "Beak")...those design details took TWO YEARS to reach the 4G Acura TL in late 2008. If Acura was destined for an uninspiring future would they be moving so quickly?

I think Hachigo didn't like Accavitti and he got forced out. I think Berkman was done with Honda after 30+ years (or maybe he figured out that he'd never be AHM Pres...?) - but I think Acura, right after those guys left, actually that was when they got their renewed commitment from Honda. We will know soon enough but the TLX is rumored to get the same treatment as the MDX as soon as this fall.

And I think the people running Acura are hungry to get going and get the brand moving again. And when you're trying to reinvent everything you do from powertrains to interior design to exterior design to interior technology to possibly platforms it's inevitable that things will seem a bit disjointed until everything is updated.

Dave Marek did an interview after Detroit this year. Here's a few quotes:

Automobile: What’s a realistic timeframe for seeing this all get into new product and a reinventing of the brand and its model range?

DM: Your strategy question is perfect because I want to do it now. I think it’s more that we’ve changed our attitude and it’s OK to be bolder or to have this direction and stick to it. And if it’s not what people resonate with then we should look at that.

We’ve already begun utilizing a lot the cues, simply from real material and leather and wood and authentic metal and the fascia and some of the treatments like that. So I think it’s going to come soon, and when people see that there are some of the cues — some are bigger than others – wow, this is also [like the concept’s language] and this is, too. Some of that is user interface, and how people interact with the car is going to change.
Automobile: Is this all a five-year plan? A three-year plan?

DM: You will see cues from this car in cars coming very soon. A complete car based on this, it’s evolving. I think the cadence of the cars, we have existing product and how do you retrofit them [to reflect the new direction], or do you? But I think once we decided this direction, it’s like let’s try and apply it to anything that’s coming. The lineup will transform quickly, and then the next generation of all-new cars, it will all make sense. We have a really good strategy and a positive plan going forward; it’s kind of like let’s just get this done. But it’s coming, and it’s coming pretty fast.
I know people are wary of Dave Marek. But Ikeda seems like a solid guy, and so far Hachigo has said and done a lot of the right things.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:17 PM

(think about how bad things must have been for them to need this to happen) - February 2014: Acura Business Planning Office formed with Berkman and Accavitti seemingly running the joint - tasked with essentially figuring out the future of Acura.

(TLX on sale debuting transmissions that have been in other cars already for 1-2 years already) August 2014: TLX on sale debuting 8DCT and 9AT

(NSX doesnt' count because it went back to the drawing table 3 times) January 2015: final NSX design debuts at NAIAS - resurrection of Acura and "Precision Crafted Performance"

(This is huge I agree) February 2015: Ito steps aside and Hachigo takes over

(This doesn't even count, the segment is just upmarket CRV segment) April 2015: MMCed RDX goes on sale

(this is also very interesting) July 2015: Accavitti Leaves his post and Ikeda takes over

(this for many who follow that world #fanb0i, was a long time coming) August/September 2015: Berkman very quietly leaves the company

January 2016: Precision Concept and NAIAS - Hachigo speaking about "The next 30 years of Acura"

March 2016: MDX MMC with precision concept exterior details, updated powertrain, updated interior hitting at NYAS

- I appreciate you taking the time because it makes it interesting and let's me honest, it's tuesday @ 5, if we're still at work, we needed this break lol.

I 100% agree with you that a massive change is probably coming Acura's way. However, I do not think Acura is hungry to get their performance brand up and running. Didn't MDX and RDX account for nearly 80% of all their sales?

I always was under the impression that Accavitti had the company's best interest at heart and probably fought to maintain what Acura is/was of late. Hachigo is not a realist, and never has. I do NOT believe he can bring into reality what he thinks he wants - and that's the real problem with Acura.

Let's also really look through all the smoke and mirrors. Nothing about the Precision Concept had really to do with motorsports. Really it was a massive publicity stunt to get rid of the Beak and finally let go of their S.H.I.E.L.D. status lol.

the 2016 MDX MMC is a pure reaction because it will be completely be behind curve and they need to catch up or risk turning into the infiniti QX60 or Lexus GX. Both good cars, but pale in the overall "offerings" of their comps.

The part that never made sense was where are is the R&D money and tech from F1 being put into? Or more importantly, how can it be that disjointed? Honda just renewed their contact with Ariel and their engines have done well in F1.

Let's step aside and look at the GT-R LMP car. Totally useless, didn't even race, but clearly whatever is in there is supposed to be in the R36 in some shape/form.

There has been a massively conscious effort towards making the market bland and I agree they NOW see they need to change, but it takes ALOT to turn a navy carrier vs a tug boat.

Let's even look at the2004 era - coming off the high of the RSX and the cult following it had which many even criticized because it wasn't anything like the integra following. We end up with the 3G TL A-spec - and the closest that car came to competing was that engineer team.

a hollow version of what everything "could" be.

I wish they would take a few pages out of hyundai's book beacuse i hate their cars but at least they seem to be doing it right.

Anyway, i feel like alot of us (including myself) are hoping for a nice big change in 10 days when we see the new MDX, and i think we'll be let down by forgetting it's still the same car with a few updates. (pending of course that they actually maybe, MAYBE retooled suspension, engine, etc etc along with the other things we now they've changed (seats, hopefully MMI?)...etc etc)

I do not think Acura needs an option to wrap everything in alcantara, but I also hope Acura see's that even Nissan has woken up and offers that 400HP 3.0TT in the next Q50S that will transfer to the rest of their line up later.

Really? I guess I can see how people would think that right now given their stated strategy and their current lineup but I don't think that's really true - let's look at some of the timeline of the last few years a bit:

February 2014: Acura Business Planning Office formed with Berkman and Accavitti seemingly running the joint - tasked with essentially figuring out the future of Acura.

August 2014: TLX on sale debuting 8DCT and 9AT

January 2015: final NSX design debuts at NAIAS - resurrection of Acura and "Precision Crafted Performance"

February 2015: Ito steps aside and Hachigo takes over

April 2015: MMCed RDX goes on sale

July 2015: Accavitti Leaves his post and Ikeda takes over

August/September 2015: Berkman very quietly leaves the company

The two constant threads running through that timeline is that Acura had admitted several times that their sedan lineup wasn't good enough AND that the improvements for the ILX and RDX were just steps in the direction they wanted to go and not necessarily the end point. Oh and Takata!

But looking at that timeline I see a few things: Accavitti and Berkman LEFT the company 18 months after being tasked with plotting the future of Acura. At the time the rumor mill was very strong with the idea that Hachigo, who took over 6 months before these guys left, didn't want to invest in Acura, didn't think Acura was worthwhile, and never would Acura get the support, mechanicals, design and engineering talent it needs to be truly competitive. Whatever Berkman and Accavitti wanted they weren't going to get so they both left.

Now that is either true or it isn't but in Jan 2016 they debuted the Precision Concept and the President of Honda got on stage and said that Acura was going to be relevant and interesting for the next 30 years. 3 months later we have the MDX debuting with design details from that concept. The much maligned 2006 Acura Advanced Sedan Concept (that debuted the "Beak")...those design details took TWO YEARS to reach the 4G Acura TL in late 2008. If Acura was destined for an uninspiring future would they be moving so quickly?

I think Hachigo didn't like Accavitti and he got forced out. I think Berkman was done with Honda after 30+ years (or maybe he figured out that he'd never be AHM Pres...?) - but I think Acura, right after those guys left, actually that was when they got their renewed commitment from Honda. We will know soon enough but the TLX is rumored to get the same treatment as the MDX as soon as this fall.

And I think the people running Acura are hungry to get going and get the brand moving again. And when you're trying to reinvent everything you do from powertrains to interior design to exterior design to interior technology to possibly platforms it's inevitable that things will seem a bit disjointed until everything is updated.

Dave Marek did an interview after Detroit this year. Here's a few quotes:

I know people are wary of Dave Marek. But Ikeda seems like a solid guy, and so far Hachigo has said and done a lot of the right things.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Red face Thoughts

Acura has been playing up the Precision Crafted Performance a lot lately & recently had this to say:
Acura charts a new course with 2017 NSX supercar
Next comes the New York Auto Show in a week where Acura will unveil the next generation of the MDX midsize SUV. The brand hints that the crossover, Acura's biggest-selling model, will get decidedly more aggressive, racier looks. It will hit the streets this summer at a price that is expected to be close to the current range, from $43,000 to $57,000 depending on the version.

"We are sharpening our focus on the 'precision crafted performance' DNA of the Acura brand, and the 2017 MDX will integrate new styling elements and powertrain technology that takes us another step in that direction," says John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda.
I can tell that the MMC will now have dual exhausts instead of the current 1 but I hope more is coming. I doubt the SH-SH-AWD system will make it but fingers crossed ...
Perhaps the FWD get PAWS? I do not expect a lot from an MMC but I hope that they will throw everything the currently have available into the MDX.

Last edited by TSX69; 03-15-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:09 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
"The 2017 mdx will boast substantial design enhancements"

I dont think by only changing the grille and adding exposed exhausts qualifies as substantial... way to hype it, then kill it, acura!!!
Exactly. Shot themselves in the foot. The accountant that made them put single exhaust on the MDX in the first place needs to be fired.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:14 PM
Pro

I'm not an expert but my understanding from reading other people who would know is that the J35 is pretty much tapped out at 310 hp and 276 lb-ft as in the RLX. The numbers you're talking about probably aren't achievable in an OEM application. I think the only known Honda engine that could hit those numbers in an OEM application is the 2.0T.

Also the specific language of the press release says: "advanced new powertrain technology" which seems too indicate a piece of the powertrain will be all new and not revised as you suggest. It also, unless they are being purposefully obtuse, doesn't seem to indicate a new engine because of the word "technology". My guess is the 10AT they've already shown will be on board. I suppose it could be a single turbo put on the J35 as that's been done in racing a bunch and would be "advanced" and "new". That engine could easily get 320 hp/310 lb-ft I would think but I highly highly highly doubt that will happen.
There will be no 10 speed transmission on the 2017 MDX.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
There will be no 10 speed transmission on the 2017 MDX.
yeah just like you, i'm hoping the 17' MDX will get outfitted with a bit more safety tech.

but mostly hoping for WAY better seats and upgraded nav to finally support carplay.

also hoping they revamp the rear seat entertainment (but i don't see that actually happening).
Old 03-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah just like you, i'm hoping the 17' MDX will get outfitted with a bit more safety tech.

but mostly hoping for WAY better seats and upgraded nav to finally support carplay.

also hoping they revamp the rear seat entertainment (but i don't see that actually happening).
I really hated the seats in the 2016 mdx loaner. It was so flat and unsupportive. Felt like it was meant for a 300 pound jello man.

Really should have adjustable bolsters, at the very least should have adjustable thigh support to match the rx350, highlander, AND KIA SORENTO....just saying
Old 03-16-2016, 03:35 PM

I really hated the seats in the 2016 mdx loaner. It was so flat and unsupportive. Felt like it was meant for a 300 pound jello man.

Really should have adjustable bolsters, at the very least should have adjustable thigh support to match the rx350, highlander, AND KIA SORENTO....just saying
actually only the F Sport RX has the better seat, The Luxury Package equipped RX seats BLOW.

But I was hoping the MDX would have something more similar to the comfort seats in the Audi.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

actually only the F Sport RX has the better seat, The Luxury Package equipped RX seats BLOW.

But I was hoping the MDX would have something more similar to the comfort seats in the Audi.
Yeah, and only the sorento sxl and toyota highlander limited have the 14 way seats, while not a single trim of mdx offers that. I don't remember, is there even 12 way seats (4 way lumbar)? Its not an issue of trim, it is an issue of not even being available when it should be.

I agree, should have a comfort seat option and a sport seat option. They are so midpack it isn't even funny.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:47 AM

Yeah, and only the sorento sxl and toyota highlander limited have the 14 way seats, while not a single trim of mdx offers that. I don't remember, is there even 12 way seats (4 way lumbar)? Its not an issue of trim, it is an issue of not even being available when it should be.

I agree, should have a comfort seat option and a sport seat option. They are so midpack it isn't even funny.
agreed, especially since the seat design is usually done outside with a firm. (only a few companies)

it will be very interesting to see which direction this MDX reveal will go.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

agreed, especially since the seat design is usually done outside with a firm. (only a few companies)

it will be very interesting to see which direction this MDX reveal will go.
Exactly! And yeah I am waiting to see what happens. Imagine Acura totally surprises everyone and makes like huge changes? I doubt it, but would be awesome.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:49 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
New high resolution pictures. Much more final form! Check out the rear bumper, the side skirts, the wheels, the vertical fog lights, the lower grille mounted front parking sensors, and of course the grille again.

2017 MDX Facelift Will Be The First Beakless Acura In Years

Last edited by neoshi; 03-17-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:44 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Thanks for sharing! I know they're just spy shots, but the car looks stunning. Love those wheels, I'm glad I held out on the '16 to see what the '17 would offer. I wanted more aggressive styling and better quality seats and it looks like they've done that
Old 03-18-2016, 04:00 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by neoshi
New high resolution pictures. Much more final form! Check out the rear bumper, the side skirts, the wheels, the vertical fog lights, the lower grille mounted front parking sensors, and of course the grille again.

2017 MDX Facelift Will Be The First Beakless Acura In Years
I like the new tailgate BBQ. I love tailgate parties.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:25 AM
Safety Car

Smile AutoEvolution

Some 3 years after it was introduced, the 3rd generation of the Acura MDX is already heading towards its mid-cycle facelift, which may go as far as premiere an all-new engine.

While the new engine is not officially confirmed, nor very likely, we are positive that the refreshed MDX will be the 1st modern Acura to lose the controversial “shield” engine grille. Almost always referred to as the “beak” by those who aren't fans of the brand, and as a “dynamic power plenum” by Acura's weird marketing magicians, the current grille will go the way of the Dodo.

Apart from previewing a 4-door coupe/sporty sedan, the Acura Precision Concept unveiled at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show also offered a sneak peek to the grille shape that will replace the “shield” on all upcoming production Acuras.

As it happens, it's the 2017 Acura MDX facelift that gets the new grille 1st, along with a slightly revised front end and a more modestly reshaped rear bumper.

What's even more interesting in the adjacent spy photos is that 2-wheeled thingamajig towed by the camouflaged pre-production prototype. It's not uncommon for carmakers to fit their testing gear in small trailers that are towed by the testing prototypes, but this one is a bit different.

If you look closely, the trailer is actually connected and seems to be harnessing the gasses coming out of the MDX's exhaust pipe. This is intriguing because it might mean that the facelifted model will either suffer some modifications to its naturally aspirated, 3.5-liter V6 or switch to a new engine altogether.

Fitted with direct injection and variable cylinder management, the Earth Dreams 6-cylinder engine is still modern enough to deliver good MPG, though, especially in collaboration with the ZF-sourced 9-speed automatic transmission on the MDX. In other words, the possibility of a new engine to replace it, such a turbocharged 4-cylinder, is next to none.

If it does happen, it will make the 2017 MDX the 1st turbocharged Acura ever, but don't hold your breath for something like that to happen. At least not until Honda unveils its new family of turbocharged 4-cylinders on the Civic, engines that will be derived in larger ones in a couple of years.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:20 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Umm 1st turbocharged Acura ever??? Nope what about 1st gen RDX. This writer isn't very bright.
The following users liked this post:
honda_nut (03-19-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 02:38 PM

uhh that's just an emissions testing device.....

Products & Services

from a production standpoint, adding on an S/C would be the most logical but i am pretty skeptical of any true powertrain change. maybe they add EDFC and change the "performance" ability? LMAO
Old 03-19-2016, 02:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neo1738
Umm 1st turbocharged Acura ever??? Nope what about 1st gen RDX. This writer isn't very bright.
RIGHT!!!! I read that and was like what? Hell no he didn't just say that! The RDX is number one thank you very much lol.

Loving those wheels, first acura wheels in a long long long time that I actually really like. Also liking the new side skirts.

Why would they be emissions testing if they had the same engine as the past? I smell a new engine! Or at least retuned!

Exciting!
Old 03-19-2016, 03:39 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by neo1738
No way no how the MDX would get a 4 cylinder.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:21 AM
Safety Car

Talking Hybrid

A poster on another board that seems to have reliable insider info has confirmed that there will be a Hybrid. They did not specify 2 or 3 motor setup but stated that it will be out after the initial 2017 launch; hopefully it will not take forever like the 2014 RLX hybrid.

This is great news for me as I have been saying a Hybrid MDX or a coupe are the only things that would keep me in the Acura family.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TSX69
A poster on another board that seems to have reliable insider info has confirmed that there will be a Hybrid. They did not specify 2 or 3 motor setup but stated that it will be out after the initial 2017 launch; hopefully it will not take forever like the 2014 RLX hybrid.

This is great news for me as I have been saying a Hybrid MDX or a coupe are the only things that would keep me in the Acura family.

It makes sense that the MDX will be a hybrid. An excellent idea. The RLX is a dead duck and not the model for Acura to use to advance their hybrid platform.

But Acura is going to make themselves look silly trying to associate their brand with "precision crafted performance".

FWD cars with transverse 4 and 6 cylinder engines are not performance cars. Not anything close.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:14 PM

It makes sense that the MDX will be a hybrid. An excellent idea. The RLX is a dead duck and not the model for Acura to use to advance their hybrid platform.

But Acura is going to make themselves look silly trying to associate their brand with "precision crafted performance".

FWD cars with transverse 4 and 6 cylinder engines are not performance cars. Not anything close.

For their sake, i hope it is available day 1. But I find it very difficult to imagine that they re-engineered the platform to accommodate an extra electric motor. Unless this chassis was designed from the beginning to support that....

If the 3.5 V6 is paired with two rear motors for SH-AWD, I would 100% trade in my S7 for this.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Thank you for this! I couldn't agree anymore with you! 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder naturally aspirated engines in transverse layouts are not enough to pass off as performance.

Now this hybrid combo with the j35...well that could change it completely.

To JCL (JLC), many many companies simply strap on a hybrid assist setup and call it a hybrid. For example the qx60 from infiniti/pathfinder. Acura could do that as well, not hard at all. On the other hand, if they really went waist deep in hybrid tech and did a multi-motor setup like the rlx and nsx, then I can see them taking a while longer, but that emissions testing proves a new engine to me.
Old 03-21-2016, 01:45 PM

Thank you for this! I couldn't agree anymore with you! 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder naturally aspirated engines in transverse layouts are not enough to pass off as performance.

Now this hybrid combo with the j35...well that could change it completely.

To JCL (JLC), many many companies simply strap on a hybrid assist setup and call it a hybrid. For example the qx60 from infiniti/pathfinder. Acura could do that as well, not hard at all. On the other hand, if they really went waist deep in hybrid tech and did a multi-motor setup like the rlx and nsx, then I can see them taking a while longer, but that emissions testing proves a new engine to me.

exactly, my point is, either this is available day 1, or it it'll have been a failed exercise. The real question is were they prepared, and if the pencil pushers understand how important it is for timing. the JX or QX60 got a nice refresh, but their interior electronics are severely lacking (granted the FX35 or QX70 has been the same for even longer!!)

But the new RX is a massive departure and has upped the game considerably. I can only hope that that Acura has realized they are slipping and up their game.

I'm aware they could just slap on a hybrid motor, but typically that's worse performance for barely any good gains. If this is the "segway" into more dynamic cars, then they should start off with a significantly more dynamic MDX. Not to mention as many have said, the Pilot is cheaper and has way more built into the pricing.

We're 48 hours away, I'm pretty excited. I've always been a Honda/Acura fan, and with Quattro going to the way side of the Haldex, I am hoping the MDX will keep the SH-AWD and add some hutzpah into it.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:31 PM
Suzuka Master

exactly, my point is, either this is available day 1, or it it'll have been a failed exercise. The real question is were they prepared, and if the pencil pushers understand how important it is for timing. the JX or QX60 got a nice refresh, but their interior electronics are severely lacking (granted the FX35 or QX70 has been the same for even longer!!)

But the new RX is a massive departure and has upped the game considerably. I can only hope that that Acura has realized they are slipping and up their game.

I'm aware they could just slap on a hybrid motor, but typically that's worse performance for barely any good gains. If this is the "segway" into more dynamic cars, then they should start off with a significantly more dynamic MDX. Not to mention as many have said, the Pilot is cheaper and has way more built into the pricing.

We're 48 hours away, I'm pretty excited. I've always been a Honda/Acura fan, and with Quattro going to the way side of the Haldex, I am hoping the MDX will keep the SH-AWD and add some hutzpah into it.
I completely agree. I hope they went the full hybrid route, not the crappy small hybrid assist. Thing is, people would still eat up the hybrid assist, because well, it says "hybrid" and therefore must be fuel efficient.

Infiniti as a whole is kind of a funny brand. Their vehicles are so mismatched, you always feel like certain models are severely lacking while others are advanced in certain areas. And then they have certain options in the nissan branch that are not available on the intiniti branch. For example, the 2009 fx had adaptive cruise control and surround view cameras, but not blind spot possible or heated steering wheel, while you could get a heated steering wheel on a maxima at the time. Someone really has to flip that brand upside down and upgrade the tech. Feels like they are trying to be a boutique luxury brand.

Well, with this upcoming unveiling, we will really see just how much Acura is aware of their current position. If they give us a shitty hybrid assist setup or even the same normal j35, then I give up.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:07 PM

how are we 1 day away with ZERO leaks...that's insane.... unless they really upped their game and are playing it close to their chests...

the civic reveal today was insanely underwhelming.. LOL
Old 03-23-2016, 12:30 AM
Suzuka Master

how are we 1 day away with ZERO leaks...that's insane.... unless they really upped their game and are playing it close to their chests...

the civic reveal today was insanely underwhelming.. LOL
So tomorrow morning I will know! Can't wait!
Old 03-23-2016, 12:46 AM
Racer

BTW, the reveal is at 11:15 a.m. ET, or watch the livestream at http://acura.us/f3i
TSX69 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 01:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neoshi
BTW, the reveal is at 11:15 a.m. ET, or watch the livestream at http://acura.us/f3i
Which is about 9:15 my time! So morning for me lol!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm in Cali, I'm watching it right now! haha
Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Racer

Oh man! 325 hp sport hybrid shawd with 3.0L V6?!
Old 03-23-2016, 10:27 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
That grille. Are they stupid? Why does Acura absolutely struggle with making a grille???

Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Noeshi at mdxer.org: 20" wheels on upper trim.. Real wood!.. Capt seats 2nd row... Electronic parking brake... New cameras... New 3.0L v6 sport hybrid 3 motor!! 325 hp!!... New active sport suspension with sport+!... Awp standard!!... And the new facia, rear bumper, and dual exhaust.

Pics from Nelson iPhone at mdxer.org at the autoshow:
Name:  MDX_zpsntbmijd8.jpeg
Views: 2306
Size:  2.07 MB
Name:  MDX%20I_zps0n7gq1xj.jpeg
Views: 2219
Size:  407.6 KB
Name:  MDX%20II_zpsqsmgnkoj.jpeg
Views: 2226
Size:  422.3 KB
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Temple of VTEC Rumors and News - 2017 Acura MDX updated with available 325hp DOHC 3.0L V6 Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system!

2017 Acura MDX updated with available 325hp DOHC 3.0L V6 Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system!

Date: March 23, 2016 11:30
Submitted by: JeffX
Source: TOV News
Credibility Rating: Not Specified

We knew there were some big changes in store for the 2017 Acura MDX, but we didn't really think that the refresh would be much more significant than a sheetmetal refresh (and yeah, the expected exposed exhausts made it!) and updated interior.

Well, consider our minds blown, since Acura has just revealed that the 2017 Acura MDX will feature a brand new powertrain, becoming the third Acura model to offer its impressive Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system.

The RLX was the first to get it, and used a 3.5L SOHC (J-series) V6 engine combined with three electric motors - a large motor wedged between the engine and 7DCT, and two smaller motors enclosed in a "twin motor unit", which effected torque vectoring on the RLX's rear axle. Total system output: 377hp.

Next came the all new NSX. A bespoke 3.5L DOHC V6 and three motors. The NSX's powertrain uses an all new 3.5L DOHC V6 (not related to the J-series), a new 9-speed DCT, and the layout is reversed compared to the RLX Sport Hybrid.

Now, with the MDX, based upon the preliminary info we've received, it sounds like we're getting a new DOHC 3.0L version of the J-series block. Like the RLX SH-SH-AWD, the MDX will use a 7-speed DCT. And in other great news, the new MDX Sport Hybrid models will also get an "Active Sport Suspension" which is tied in to the Integrated Dynamics System (IDS).

Refreshed 2017 Acura MDX Makes World Debut in New York with Bold New Styling, Upgraded Features and Sport Hybrid Powertrain

• 2017 MDX showcases new diamond pentagon grille first seen on the Acura Precision Concept

• New Sport Hybrid powertrain delivers the ultimate in power and control while gaining 35 horsepower and anticipated to add 7 mpg to city fuel economy rating

• AcuraWatch™ safety and driver assist technology to be offered as standard equipment on all 2017 MDX models

NEW YORK (Mar. 23, 2016) – Acura today unveiled the restyled and refreshed 2017 MDX luxury SUV featuring bold new styling, new luxury features and available Sport Hybrid Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWDŽ) powertrain technology. The 2017 Acura MDX will also offer AcuraWatch™ as standard equipment on all grades, making MDX the first luxury SUV in its class to offer these advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies, including automatic emergency braking, as standard equipment. The 2017 MDX is slated to go on sale at Acura dealerships nationwide this summer and will be joined by the MDX Sport Hybrid later in the year.

Showcasing the new face of Acura, the restyled 2017 MDX is highlighted by the bold and distinctive new diamond pentagon grille, first seen on the Acura Precision Concept that debuted at the North American International Auto Show in January. The new Acura grille is integrated with a more sharply sculpted hood, front fascia and front fenders coupled with new LED fog lights and restyled Jewel Eye™ headlights, which enhance the MDX’s distinctive and sporting demeanor. A new chrome rocker panel design adds an element of contrast to the MDX’s profile, while a revised rear bumper, body colored skid garnish and the addition of twin tailpipes further emphasizes the performance character of the 2017 Acura MDX.

“Upping the performance pedigree of the MDX with bold styling, our exclusive Sport Hybrid powertrain and the standard application of AcuraWatch technologies that many in the industry refer to as semi-autonomous, represents a major injection of Acura's Precision Crafted Performance DNA,” said John Mendel, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. “These changes will continue to advance MDX’s competitiveness and its legacy as the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time.”

All 2017 MDX models benefit from increased standard luxury and technology features, including an Electric Parking Brake with Automatic Brake Hold, Auto High Beam headlights, SiriusXM RadioŽ 2.0 and four 2.5-amp USB charging ports. Technology and Advance packages add Bi-Directional Keyless Remote Engine Start, two new 20-inch wheel and tire options, power folding side mirrors, and HD Traffic. In addition to these features, Advance grades add LED fog lights, genuine Olive Ash Burl or Black Limba wood interior trim, a heated steering wheel and Surround-View Camera System with six selectable viewing angles. Advance models can also be equipped with two second-row captain’s chairs and a center console with two additional USB ports, replacing the three-person second-row seating found on lower grades. An ultra-widescreen Rear Entertainment System is also available on models with the Advance ENT Package.

MDX Sport Hybrid

The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid is the third model to feature Acura’s innovative three-motor Sport Hybrid SH-AWD powertrain, joining the Acura NSX supercar and RLX flagship sedan to deliver the ultimate in power and control. The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid is powered by a 3.0-liter DOHC V-6 engine with Variable Cylinder Management™ (VCM™) mated to a 7-speed dual clutch transmission (7DCT) with an integrated electric motor powering the front wheels, and a Twin Motor Unit with two electric motors providing power to the rear wheels. Additionally, the system delivers electrified torque vectoring for improved straight line performance and cornering precision in combination with all-wheel-drive power application. Peak powertrain output of 325 horsepower is up 35 horsepower over the non-hybrid model. The MDX Sport Hybrid is anticipated to receive EPA fuel economy ratings of 25/26/26 (city/highway/combined), an estimated 7-mpg city fuel economy rating increase over the (non-hybrid) MDX with SH-AWD.

The 2017 MDX Sport Hybrid will be available with Technology and Advance packages. Both add a new Active Sport Suspension that delivers improved ride quality, handling performance and is integrated with the Integrated Dynamics System featuring the dynamic modes of Comfort, Normal and Sport, and exclusive to Sport Hybrid models, a new Sport+ mode.

AcuraWatchTM Standard

All 2017 MDX models receive the AcuraWatch suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technology as standard equipment, including Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) with automatic emergency braking, Lane Departure Warning (LDW), Forward Collision Warning (FCW), Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS), Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low-Speed Follow (LSF) and Road Departure Mitigation (RDM). AcuraWatch uses a millimeter wave radar and monocular camera sensing technology to detect other vehicles as well as lane markings and can help intervene to prevent or mitigate the severity of a collision. Moreover, with Adaptive Cruise Control with Low-Speed Follow and Lane Keeping Assist, AcuraWatch can significantly decrease the driver’s workload during freeway cruising by maintaining a set speed and following interval, initiating both braking and throttle inputs, and adding steering input to help the driver maintain their position in the detected lane.

The Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time and Acura’s best-selling SUV, with sales topping 50,000 units in each of the past three years. The 2017 MDX was designed by the Acura Design Studio in Torrance, Calif., developed and engineered at the R&D center in Raymond, Ohio, and will continue to be produced at the company’s Lincoln, Ala. auto plant using domestic and globally sourced parts. In early 2017, an additional production source for MDX will be added at the East Liberty, Ohio auto plant.

For More Information
Consumer information is available at Acura.com ? Official Home of Acura Cars and SUVs. To join the Acura community on Facebook, visit facebook.com/Acura. Additional media information including pricing, features and high-resolution photography is available at acuranews.com/channels/acura-automobiles.

About Acura
Acura is a leading automotive luxury nameplate that delivers Precision Crafted Performance through advanced product design and innovative technologies. On March 27, 2016, Acura will celebrate the 30th anniversary of its launch as the first luxury nameplate from a Japanese automaker. Nearly 98 percent of the products Acura sold in America in 2015 were built in America using domestic and globally sourced parts.

The Acura lineup features five distinctive models – the RLX luxury flagship sedan, the TLX performance luxury sedan, the ILX sport sedan, the 5-passenger RDX luxury crossover SUV, and the Acura MDX, America's all-time best-selling three-row luxury SUV. This spring, Acura will launch its next-generation, electrified NSX supercar as a new and pinnacle expression of Acura Precision Crafted Performance.
TLtrigirl (04-02-2016)

Quick Reply: any news on the 2017 mdx?