Alternatives to MDX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alternatives to MDX?

Hi All,

It's time to replace my wife's 2006 MDX (which she has loved) and I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the 2017 model based on what I've read about the transmission, dual screen display, and tech falling behind, so I'm looking for alternatives in the same class. I'm currently considering the BMW X5, the Volvo XC90, and possibly the Audi Q7 (but I don't like the Q's styling very much). I also want to stay away from models close to a redesign or refresh (although I think the X5 gets a refresh next year).

Safety and reliability are top considerations, but all around luxury and relatively current tech are important as well.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!

Brian
Old 07-03-2016, 03:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by acuranewb
Hi All,

It's time to replace my wife's 2006 MDX (which she has loved) and I'm not wildly enthusiastic about the 2017 model based on what I've read about the transmission, dual screen display, and tech falling behind, so I'm looking for alternatives in the same class. I'm currently considering the BMW X5, the Volvo XC90, and possibly the Audi Q7 (but I don't like the Q's styling very much). I also want to stay away from models close to a redesign or refresh (although I think the X5 gets a refresh next year).

Safety and reliability are top considerations, but all around luxury and relatively current tech are important as well.

Brian
If reliability is a concern, you have no buisness looking at an X5. Seeing as your mdx is from 2006, I assume that you are planning on keeping this next vehicle for many years. I bought and then returned a 2008 x5, such a pos, and before that had an 05 x5 that I thankfully dumped. I cannot ever in good conscience recommend a bmw to anyone. That is how much I dislike the brand.

I suggest you go take a look at the new lexus rx, in black/f-sport trim it looks really really good. Lexus is pretty much at the top in terms of tech and user interface. You know reliability is going to be awesome and much more advanced than any Acura product. Oh and also take a look at the new lincoln mkx (the 2.7tt V6 engine is beautiful). The new Xt5 is kind of ugly outside, though the inside is rather stunning.

The q7 is nice, but knowing audi, look for a common 2-4k repair in the next 4 years and then another one in 6-7 years. The new xc90 is stunning, looks absolutely amazing to me. But the turbo AND supercharged 2.0l 4-cylinder would scare the hell out of me. Neither of those technologies come without any issues down the line and to have both on the same small engine seems like over-burdening it to me. Not to mention if you were to go with the T8 model, you have to worry about hybrid batteries failing in around 8 years and costing like 8-12k to replace.

Another option I see you have missed is the VW Touareg, the latest gen is rock solid reliable with the only problems being the diesel filter clogging from our poor NA diesel quality (they come in a 3.0l turbo diesel or a naturally aspirated 3.6l V6) and wheel vibration at high speed on early 2011 models. You owe it to yourself to go and give it a try, very under-rated vehicle with the same awd system, suspension, and transmission as the audi q7.

But the more I think about it, are you looking for seven passenger models only?

Last edited by RDX10; 07-03-2016 at 03:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (07-04-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX is spot on with comments. I might add a little info since I'm in the market also and have been test driving a lot of vehicles. First you might spend some time on the sites like this one for any vehicle you desire. That's what I'm doing here, I'm on several including the Lexus RX, Cad XT 5 & Volvo FPace. I have eliminated the Porsche Cayenne, Volvo XC 90 and Audi Q7 for personal reasons each has some great features but also issues.
I own a 2010 RX350 (wife's car) that has been a great vehicle but there are some issues with the 2016's. I am hoping that Lexus gets things right for 17 but also like the MDX except for the very issues you mention. Lexus does some dumb things too, like the lockout of Nav, and Phone features while driving. Surprising too is the 8 speed isn't all that great even though they have had it in the F Sport for years. Gurgling AC, vibration, surging, etc. Nothing major but owners don't seem to get much help from Lexus yet.
My GMC Denali has Android Auto and Apple Car Play-I really don't want to buy a vehicle that doesn't have this now that I've used it. Bottom line is there are issues with all of these Luxury vehicles but IMO the Lexus RX is the best choice today. Lexus will have a third row RX available sometime next year if that's high on your list. Good Luck! Sometimes you get lucky, not all have problems.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:39 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Agree with all. If you want reliability, stay away from the European auto makes.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:00 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Hi All,

Brian
Volvo XC90. Like a Boss.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:50 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I keep my car for 8-10 years or around 150,000 miles. Acura does make the best used cars. I don't see a lot of +10 year old Lexus RX, Infiniti SUVs, BMW SUVs, or Mercedes SUV compared to the amount of 1st Gen MDXs on the road. I might just be more tuned into spotting MDXs or they just are not visible on my daily runs. Maybe it might be a good time to lease a brand for 3 years and then purchase a used 17-19 or all new 4th gen MDX afterwards. It might just come out to the same $$ and hopefully Acura will get the trans figured out and maybe update the engine/tech by the 4th gen. I would love to give the F-Pace with the 380hp S/C engine a try (live/travel at 5400-8000ft and soon to be just the wife and I at home).
Old 07-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the responses! My wife needs a "real" third row with seating for seven and we just eliminated the X5 from consideration because it was like torture sitting in the third row. We also eliminated the XC90 due to the multitude of horror stories from owners about software and other quality issues. We drove the Q7 yesterday and were quite impressed, so it appears to be the top contender...
Old 07-04-2016, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for the responses! My wife needs a "real" third row with seating for seven and we just eliminated the X5 from consideration because it was like torture sitting in the third row. We also eliminated the XC90 due to the multitude of horror stories from owners about software and other quality issues. We drove the Q7 yesterday and were quite impressed, so it appears to be the top contender...
So it would appear that reliability is not really that high on the list as initially stated. Go take a look at the infiniti qx60, much cheaper than a q7, but is supposed to have a "real third row". Reliability is going to be much better, as is fuel economy I bet, and lastly with no large drivetrain hump, there is bound to be more room. Another option would be something like a buick enclave, dodge durango, or mercedes gls.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:27 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
So it would appear that reliability is not really that high on the list as initially stated. Go take a look at the infiniti qx60, much cheaper than a q7, but is supposed to have a "real third row". Reliability is going to be much better, as is fuel economy I bet, and lastly with no large drivetrain hump, there is bound to be more room. Another option would be something like a buick enclave, dodge durango, or mercedes gls.
Stay away from the QX60. It has a bad transmission. XC90 FTW.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Pro

XC90 is the best SUV out there. Don't worry about minor gremlins. That's what the warranty is for.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by E92Vancouver
Stay away from the QX60. It has a bad transmission. XC90 FTW.
Nothing wrong with the CVT, some people just don't like it, it is otherwise fine. I really like the xc90, but it seems like the perfect nightmare vehicle. New technology, new architecture, newely aquired by a chinese parent company....everything is damn new....it needs a few years to work out kinks in my opinion.
Old 07-05-2016, 02:49 AM
Pro

Nothing wrong with the CVT, some people just don't like it, it is otherwise fine. I really like the xc90, but it seems like the perfect nightmare vehicle. New technology, new architecture, newely aquired by a chinese parent company....everything is damn new....it needs a few years to work out kinks in my opinion.
They have been major issues with the CVT and failure. Nissan has extended the warranty but still a major inconvenience if the transmission fails in the middle of no where while you are on holidays. As an example:

Old 07-05-2016, 02:58 AM
Suzuka Master

They have been major issues with the CVT and failure. Nissan has extended the warranty but still a major inconvenience if the transmission fails in the middle of no where while you are on holidays. As an example:

08 Altima CVT failure in drive - YouTube
There are literally millions of nissans equipped with cvt's on the road. Just one example or even 50 really doesn't mean anything. The new XC90 with all new tech is much more likely to leave you stranded vs a nissan equipped with a cvt.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:52 PM
10th Gear

Hi All,

Brian
All three of those cars are much more expensive than an MDX, and also much nicer, you cant go wrong with any of them.

In the MDX price range, you could lean towards the Lexus RX, which is smaller but a bit nicer, or look at the Honda Pilot Elite, which is a bit larger but well featured. You could also include competitors from Infiniti, Lincoln and Cadillac in the MDX price range, if you accept that they probably wont have the same reliability ( the cars you listed probably wont either ).
Old 07-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Cruisin'

Probably agree since there aren't many 3 rows to compare. The things I didn't like about the Q7 started with the run flat tires and the hokey jack setup. It won't fit in the recessed storage and is an eyesore and in the way strapped in the back compartment. Run flats are only available in limited areas so if you ruin a tire on a trip look to be laid up for days.
Next with the seats folded there are big holes everywhere, not clean like the Japanese cars. You can cover some up with a cargo mat but disappointing attention to detail, IMO.
Personal storage in the front is lacking- glove box, door storage and center console between the seats.
No Android Auto or Car Play. Tech looks impressive-mostly on the higher end model with digital DIC but is not user friendl, IMO. Lacking in USB/phone setup for two.
Even though the interior has premium material it is way behind the Lex RX that has contrast sticking and multi colors with more choices. The Lex looks premium, the Q looks dated!
Performance and handling the Q wins by a lot but in spite of all the aluminum is still a little heavy.
Finally this model is too new for reliability data but Audi's don't have that great of history.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:12 PM
2016 MDX Adv/SHAWD

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron.s
Probably agree since there aren't many 3 rows to compare. The things I didn't like about the Q7 started with the run flat tires and the hokey jack setup. It won't fit in the recessed storage and is an eyesore and in the way strapped in the back compartment. Run flats are only available in limited areas so if you ruin a tire on a trip look to be laid up for days.
Next with the seats folded there are big holes everywhere, not clean like the Japanese cars. You can cover some up with a cargo mat but disappointing attention to detail, IMO.
Personal storage in the front is lacking- glove box, door storage and center console between the seats.
No Android Auto or Car Play. Tech looks impressive-mostly on the higher end model with digital DIC but is not user friendl, IMO. Lacking in USB/phone setup for two.
Even though the interior has premium material it is way behind the Lex RX that has contrast sticking and multi colors with more choices. The Lex looks premium, the Q looks dated!
Performance and handling the Q wins by a lot but in spite of all the aluminum is still a little heavy.
Finally this model is too new for reliability data but Audi's don't have that great of history.
Only one correction, Audi Q7 has Android Auto
Old 07-06-2016, 03:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Just curious, what big holes are you talking about with the seats folded? Also I agree, the interior design looks especially dated with the full lcd dash being the only piece of really in your face design.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Pro

There are literally millions of nissans equipped with cvt's on the road. Just one example or even 50 really doesn't mean anything. The new XC90 with all new tech is much more likely to leave you stranded vs a nissan equipped with a cvt.
So Nissan comes out with a public announcement acknowledging major issues with their CVT and extends the warranty to 10 years because of a few one off blown CVTs? Plus, if your transmission blows after the 10 year warranty they have agreed to sell you a new one for less than MSRP. They are an awesome company. Wow.

Last edited by E92Vancouver; 07-06-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Suzuka Master

So Nissan comes out with a public announcement acknowledging major issues with their CVT and extends the warranty to 10 years because of a few one off blown CVTs? Plus, if your transmission blows after the 10 year warranty they have agreed to sell you a new one for less than MSRP. They are an awesome company. Wow.
Lol man, if I have to be completely honest, I would NEVER buy a vehicle with a cvt, but only because of the way it drives. I don't have a stake in nissan or jatco, so really, it doesn't bother me if someone wants to buy one or not.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:14 PM
TMQ
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Saw a white Mazda CX-9 yesterday. Beautiful car.

Sorry, can't trust the Europeans on reliability.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMQ
Saw a white Mazda CX-9 yesterday. Beautiful car.

Sorry, can't trust the Europeans on reliability.
I really like the interior of the cx9 in the top trim. I don't really like the exterior too much to be honest. But my biggest issue is the 2.5l turbo. I hate small displacement engines on big vehicles.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Cruisin'

Just curious, what big holes are you talking about with the seats folded? Also I agree, the interior design looks especially dated with the full lcd dash being the only piece of really in your face design.
With the 2nd and 3rd row folded down there were gaps between 2&3 and on the sides. Large enough that small items would "fall in the crack", ha ha. I had an older sales guy for both demo's and since he said no on Android Auto may not be too sharp. Some of the gap might be adjusted out by moving the second row back. The Lexus RX has very clean fit but the seats don't fold completely flat....compromises with all. As an aside the Mercedes has a little better rear seating but you fold the bottom seat vertically toward the front and then the seat back folds flat. Tacky because the unfinished seat bottom is exposed just like an older Chev crew pickup from early 2000. Many won't mind because they seldom fold the seats.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

With the 2nd and 3rd row folded down there were gaps between 2&3 and on the sides. Large enough that small items would "fall in the crack", ha ha. I had an older sales guy for both demo's and since he said no on Android Auto may not be too sharp. Some of the gap might be adjusted out by moving the second row back. The Lexus RX has very clean fit but the seats don't fold completely flat....compromises with all. As an aside the Mercedes has a little better rear seating but you fold the bottom seat vertically toward the front and then the seat back folds flat. Tacky because the unfinished seat bottom is exposed just like an older Chev crew pickup from early 2000. Many won't mind because they seldom fold the seats.
Oh I understand. That seems like very poor quality control. Something the Germans are never known to do. They usually have all sorts of neat flaps..etc to prevent gaps and areas that would make the cabin appear unfinished.

I really like the latest gen rx, I didn't like it very much when it first came out but the interior has grown on me and the fit and finish looks impeccable.

Forward tumbling seats in a modern mercedes? Who in the hell thought that was an appropriate way of folding the seats in a mercedes?
Old 07-07-2016, 09:23 AM
mrgold35

I really like the interior of the cx9 in the top trim. I don't really like the exterior too much to be honest. But my biggest issue is the 2.5l turbo. I hate small displacement engines on big vehicles.
On paper, the Mazda CX-9 sounds pretty good with mpg, room, luxury touches, and power delivery. It would be the Grand Touring or Signature version; but, $40K-$44K for a Mazda is like purchasing the most expensive home in the cheapest neighborhood. Just not sure about the long term reliability of I-4 turbo from a company not use to using force induction? You do have to drive a I-4 turbo a little different and have more patience compared to V-6 turbo/NA/Supercharger engine. It feels like my 08 RDX only has about 50hp when I hit the gas before the turbo starts to really spools up after 2000 rpms (and the RDX is about 200-300lbs lighter than the Mazda). I can see that being a big turn off compared to a big V-6 or V-6+force induction in everyday stop/go traffic.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
On paper, the Mazda CX-9 sounds pretty good with mpg, room, luxury touches, and power delivery. It would be the Grand Touring or Signature version; but, $40K-$44K for a Mazda is like purchasing the most expensive home in the cheapest neighborhood. Just not sure about the long term reliability of I-4 turbo from a company not use to using force induction? You do have to drive a I-4 turbo a little different and have more patience compared to V-6 turbo/NA/Supercharger engine. It feels like my 08 RDX only has about 50hp when I hit the gas before the turbo starts to really spools up after 2000 rpms (and the RDX is about 200-300lbs lighter than the Mazda). I can see that being a big turn off compared to a big V-6 or V-6+force induction in everyday stop/go traffic.
Yes exactly! Here in Canada the cx9 signature is going for 52k + taxes!!! Not in this lifetime would I ever pay that much for a mazda. Let alone such an overgrown one with a small engine.

The other thing I noticed was the rather large spread in power numbers 222-250hp and a whopping 310lb feet. So I feel like this power plant will be good at city speeds but fall flat on its' face in passing maneuvers. Also the difference in hp is to account for the use of premium...premium in a mazda? No thank you! I seen some ads stating something like "how mazda managed to get their 2.5t to provide the real world epa numbers" which is a bunch of B.S because such a large vehicle is absolutely bound to be using the boost all the time. The rdx is kind of unique in that the turbo didn't fully activate until 4500 rpm, so it was easy to stay out of full boost, the mazda on the other hand I think will always be in full boost at city speeds.

Mazda tried a small displacement turbo that needed premium in the past on the cx7. If I remember correctly, reliability was horrid and fuel economy was horrid.

I could be wrong, this could be so smooth. But at the end of the day, no chance in hell will I buy a large 3 row crossover with a small displacement engine.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:52 PM
TMQ
Pro

Agree, the engine is the main drawback to me about CX-9. Everything else is fantastic, unless one is a brand snob. Same knock against Volvo about the engine of choice.

But, Honda is moving that way also, with the 1.5L turbo. Who knows what may come in the future.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TMQ
Agree, the engine is the main drawback to me about CX-9. Everything else is fantastic, unless one is a brand snob. Same knock against Volvo about the engine of choice.

But, Honda is moving that way also, with the 1.5L turbo. Who knows what may come in the future.
Which is the same reason I will never be buying an xc90 either.

And at least honda isn't putting the 1.5t in the rdx or mdx lol
Old 07-08-2016, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Volvo XC90. Like a Boss.
On paper, the XC90 is where it's at. Practically, no way I'm buying a 2 liter supercharged Chinese car with the latest untested tech.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:31 AM
mrgold35

It is really a tough position to be in when you are looking for that 3rd row, decent power, above average mpgs, reliability, and luxury touches without spending $60,000-$70,000 to get it. You might be stuck looking at Domestic brands to get that 3rd row, V-8 or V-6 turbo power levels, and basic luxury touches. Domestic brands can get pricey when you check all the option boxes; but, more discounts/rebates are available (along with faster depreciation over the loan life). Domestic brands tend to look more outdated after a few years compared to European and Japanese brands.

Dodge Durango would be top on my list as a domestic alternative:
Name:  2014-durango-packages-blacktop-2_zpsdzs2gnja.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  85.4 KB

If I could really live without the 3rd row. The Jag F-Pace with the 380hp S/C V-6 would be another choice. The Jag would have to be a 3yr lease compared to a purchase for the durango.
Name:  2017-Jaguar-F-Pace-configurator-01-626x382_zpsw8gw11mm.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  48.9 KB
Old 07-08-2016, 12:26 PM
Cruisin'

After reading a lot of reviews it's surprising at the number of issues these new cars have this year. A lot of it is related to pushing tech before it's ready-Tesla and Jag rated worst for tech. I read one professional review on the XC90 that spanned several months and almost every 2 weeks back to the dealer for a software update/fix. No buttons so if something stops working with the touch screen you have no alternative. I can put up with some issues but going to a dealer is not high on my list. First convince them you have an issue-hope they have a solution-multiple trips back and forth. A few dealer trips and I start hating my vehicle. And on top of that the lux cars don't have dealers in a lot of areas so just pray you don't have an issue while traveling. And spending $60-70,000 doesn't get you a more reliable vehicle-sometimes just the opposite since it may be more complex.
It's never been more true than it is today "Never buy a first year model "!!!!
Old 07-08-2016, 02:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pickettt
On paper, the XC90 is where it's at. Practically, no way I'm buying a 2 liter supercharged Chinese car with the latest untested tech.
Supercharged AND turbocharged! And yes exactly what you are saying, all 100% new, new ownership, technology, platform, engine, transmission, literally NOTHING tested.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
It is really a tough position to be in when you are looking for that 3rd row, decent power, above average mpgs, reliability, and luxury touches without spending $60,000-$70,000 to get it. You might be stuck looking at Domestic brands to get that 3rd row, V-8 or V-6 turbo power levels, and basic luxury touches. Domestic brands can get pricey when you check all the option boxes; but, more discounts/rebates are available (along with faster depreciation over the loan life). Domestic brands tend to look more outdated after a few years compared to European and Japanese brands.

Dodge Durango would be top on my list as a domestic alternative:

If I could really live without the 3rd row. The Jag F-Pace with the 380hp S/C V-6 would be another choice. The Jag would have to be a 3yr lease compared to a purchase for the durango.
+2 on the durango. Really my favorite 3-row dometic vehicle by a LONG shot.

After reading a lot of reviews it's surprising at the number of issues these new cars have this year. A lot of it is related to pushing tech before it's ready-Tesla and Jag rated worst for tech. I read one professional review on the XC90 that spanned several months and almost every 2 weeks back to the dealer for a software update/fix. No buttons so if something stops working with the touch screen you have no alternative. I can put up with some issues but going to a dealer is not high on my list. First convince them you have an issue-hope they have a solution-multiple trips back and forth. A few dealer trips and I start hating my vehicle. And on top of that the lux cars don't have dealers in a lot of areas so just pray you don't have an issue while traveling. And spending $60-70,000 doesn't get you a more reliable vehicle-sometimes just the opposite since it may be more complex.
It's never been more true than it is today "Never buy a first year model "!!!!
IMHO, tesla is really just trendy at the moment, nothing more. They are producing half assed vehicles with all sorts of gremlins and fit/finish issues.

I am not surprised the xc90 is glitchy as hell. Look inside, like you mention, everything is controlled by this massive lcd screen. You have absolutely no way of working around it in the event of a failure. Like lets say I am travelling (not far to assume people buy large 3-row crossovers to travel) it is hot ir cold and the screen goes black. Volvo dealer is 3-5 hours away. What do I do? I can't turn on the climate control or heated/cooled seats...etc

I gotta give it to the people who are risking it by buying these first year models. Hell I wouldn't even buy the 3rd year of this new xc90 to be honest.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:44 PM
TMQ
Pro

European cars are for people to lease.

Anyway, saw another CX-9 yesterday outside a bookstore. Brown color, gorgeous. If the revised MDX is ugly in person, the CX-9 could gain some sales.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not that I'm endorsing it, but the Kia Sorrento is THE "alternative MDX". The guys at KIA must've reverse engineered the MDX.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by pickettt
Not that I'm endorsing it, but the Kia Sorrento is THE "alternative MDX". The guys at KIA must've reverse engineered the MDX.
Good point! I forgot to mention it. I could argue that the sorento is actually nicer than an mdx inside. While the looks department easily goes to the mdx, that is till kia pushes out their mmc sorento in 2017/2018.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:48 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the opinions and advice folks! I ended up buying...the Q7! The styling really grew on me and I love the virtual cockpit and the plethora of tech that Acura (inexplicably) doesn't offer. And it drives almost like a sports car--seriously the most "fun" SUV I've ever driven.

I actually think the 2017 MDX exterior looks great--huge Acura emblem and all. It also drives quite nicely and I didn't notice any transmission quirks. The downfall was the nav/entertainment system. It looks and feels absolutely antiquated. I don't know what they did, but I swear the 2006 MDX's nav looks more modern and current than the 2017 model.

Thanks again and good luck on the road!

Brian
Old 07-22-2016, 12:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Thanks for all of the opinions and advice folks! I ended up buying...the Q7! The styling really grew on me and I love the virtual cockpit and the plethora of tech that Acura (inexplicably) doesn't offer. And it drives almost like a sports car--seriously the most "fun" SUV I've ever driven.

I actually think the 2017 MDX exterior looks great--huge Acura emblem and all. It also drives quite nicely and I didn't notice any transmission quirks. The downfall was the nav/entertainment system. It looks and feels absolutely antiquated. I don't know what they did, but I swear the 2006 MDX's nav looks more modern and current than the 2017 model.

Brian
Congratulations on your purchase OP. I had a feeling you really wanted the q7 all along. While the exterior doesn't really work for me, the technology is light years ahead of Acura.

Wishing you many years of reliability!
Old 07-23-2016, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts
What's the repair and maintenance costs of the Q7 vs an Acura MDX? How much did you pay for the Q7?

Brian