Acura MDX vs Volvo XC90

Old 09-30-2015, 06:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura MDX vs Volvo XC90

Usually on the forums I see comparisons to the German automakers. What are people's thoughts on the recently update XC90 as compared to the MDX (pros and cons).

I have a 07 TSX and absolutely love it, so I always take about Acura while my wife has always had an eye for Volvo. and we are looking for an SUV with 3rd row.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:18 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,507 Likes on 1,175 Posts
We all might have a bias view asking to compare the MDX to a Volvo. The added twist is your spouse liking the Volvo. I know for my wife (not all women), she looks at style, color, softness, aesthetics, perception, and how will this fit my persona when I leave the house everyday. She see a car of more of an accessory and at worst like an appliance to get the job done. I can see the Volvo having a little bit more of a premium feel, look, and individuality about it that would also appeal to my wife.

The MDX make a lot of logical sense to me with the price, power, handling, reliability, towing capacity, resell value, safety features, mpgs, etc... My wife didn't even consider our Acura RDX as a contender before I took her for a back-to-back test drive of her first choice; Honda CR-V because it looked "cute". The RDX look, felt, and made her feel better compared to the CR-V. Another added plus was I started to point out that 95% of the women that drive CR-Vs in our area are 15-20 years older than her and does she want to join that group (sealed the deal for the RDX).

You might get a lot of responses to support the "logical" reason for one or the other. I would do a back-to-back test drive (overnight if possible) to see the pros/cons of either. If she is still leaning towards the Volvo, I would see if you can opt for a little "sport" in the SUV. This is what I did with the RDX and my MDX Adv and we are both happy.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
justnspace (09-30-2015), technocrat (09-25-2019)
Old 09-30-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
mrgold always for the win!
Old 09-30-2015, 09:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
The other day i seem a new XC90 on the road and that thing was awesome looking.
Old 09-30-2015, 04:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
The other day i seem a new XC90 on the road and that thing was awesome looking.
Saw one on the road today and was underwhelmed by the looks compared to the pics. But then again it was in champagne color, which i hate, so i may be a bit biased. Lol
Old 09-30-2015, 05:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Be prepared to pay. They can sticker as high as 75K. !!
Old 10-01-2015, 09:29 AM
10th Gear

The exterior styling is not my favorite, but their interiors are very nice and have quality materials. They have awesome seats ( if you get the upgraded ones ).

However, long term cost of ownership can be quite high. My neighbor has one, its not Japanese reliable. For him, its worth it because he has back problems, and the seats help.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I waited about a year for the XC90 to be released before I committed to the MDX. The Volvo is all new, and I wouldn't buy a first year car. It seems to be a recurring theme as with the German cars, if you want luxury, the Volvo or any of the German brands are the way to go. If you want a reliable car with some luxury features, I'd stick with the Japanese brands. I don't LOVE my MDX, but it's a nice car, and I'm confident it will be reliable.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Interior is high quality and the pano roof and ipad are nice. The b&w sound is pretty good too. Issue is i dont want a turbod four in my 60k suv, and the mdx is the best drivers suv less than 100k.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
The XC90 is brand new while the MDX is in its 3rd model year and it shows. The XC90 has some amazing new technologies, which the MDX will probably not have for several more years, if at all. The speed limit sign reading of the XC90 is awesome. Heck, even the new Pilot has a better nav system than the MDX, plus LED brake lights and turn signals. While I have no regrets buying my MDX, the XC90 would be a tie if I had a do over.
The following users liked this post:
2012wagon (10-05-2015)
Old 10-05-2015, 08:37 PM
Racer

hmm looking at the xc90 reviews it kind of annoys me that for whatever reason the mdx doesn't have a 360degree camera like most in its class. Yes most of us can park well without it but considering how awful the rear view camera is, sigh. Yes the rest of the car is great though.

I drove my TL to work today and marveled at the HD rear view camera hahaha
Old 10-07-2015, 12:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
It depends on priorities. The Volvo - even under Chinese ownership - has many more advanced safety features and is a more luxurious vehicle (even more luxurious than the RDX although rockyboy would object). While fit and finish is quite good and superior to the MDX, reliability takes a huge hit.

Once out of warranty and the "free" maintenance period, Volvos tend to get very expensive.

The MDX has more basic versions of similar safety systems but they aren't as well integrated or advanced - but - it is rock solid and reliable not to mention significantly less expensive than the Volvo.

Drive them both and see if the Volvo bowls you over.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Curious what the response is on the Volvo forum...to the same question
Old 10-07-2015, 01:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Curious what the response is on the Volvo forum...to the same question
somehow i feel like volvo buyers would feel above mdx buyers as they can get into the 60s quite easily. Also, because euro snobbery lol.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I feel like the only thing the MDX has going for it, in this comparison, is reliability (perceived). To me, that is a huge "only thing", which is why I chose the Acura.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Acura reliability is indeed perceived, coming from when Acura was at one point, very reliable. These days, not so much.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:10 PM
mrgold35

Depending on your budget and time table, the Jaguar F-Pace looks interesting. I like the standard 340hp engine. Once you option it out to MDX levels, it might be in the Volvo $60,000 to $70,000 range. A white with black trim F-Type R hard top coupe is my dream car.

Name:  body_us_f-pace_k17_a-crossover_zpsadx8huur.png
Views: 694
Size:  67.4 KB
Name:  FP_17MY_181_GEE_V2_GALLERY-device_desktop-1366x769_tcm97-186311_desktop_1366x769_zpsmq3.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  227.4 KB

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-07-2015 at 03:14 PM.
2012wagon (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Acura reliability is indeed perceived, coming from when Acura was at one point, very reliable. These days, not so much.
What was the "at one point?" I don't agree with your assessment at least based on my own experience.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
Depending on your budget and time table, the Jaguar F-Pace looks interesting. I like the standard 340hp engine. Once you option it out to MDX levels, it might be in the Volvo $60,000 to $70,000 range. A white with black trim F-Type R hard top coupe is my dream car.

Not bad looking but I would never own a Jag based on reliability.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Back in the 80s, 90s and very early 00s, Acura was known for reliability. But then they started to slip. I wouldn't call Acura reliable by any stretch these days. Well, no more than most other brands on the market. The 3G TL was plagued with problems, the 4G is no better. The TLX has enough issues already, for being a brand new car.

That's not to say each and every Acura will suffer the same problems, but there are enough problems out there. Some get lucky and never have an issue.

Last edited by TacoBello; 10-07-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
I have owned two 3G TLs and both have been great. I owned an early 04 and had it just shy of 6 years. Literally no issues. I traded it in on my current 08 TLS which was a CPO. Only things I have had done were the 3rd gear synchro and one of the rear view mirror actuators, both replaced under warranty. If I wasn't under warranty, I wouldn't have had the synchro replaced and to this day I keep saying I should try the GM Synchomesh, but just haven't yet as there hasn't been any sort of need.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
We had a 2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design which was a pretty great vehicle, but with a child, we needed something larger, so we quickly arrived at MDX and XC90 (I wanted a Yukon Denali, but this is the wife's car and she 86'd that). BMW X5 was too small, Benz GL was a bit too big (and pricey), GX460 was a bit trucky and wasn't as quick/nimble and had awful MPG.

Ultimately, we went with the MDX because the XC90 was a lot more expensive, Volvo dealers were smoking crack and wanting premiums over sticker or at least sticker, and the resale value of my past Volvos had sucked, so I was unwilling to pay that much for a Volvo. Finally, the Volvo forums showed a host of initial quality issues.

By time negotiations were over, I could get a loaded MDX Advance SH-AWD for about $14K less than the XC90 optioned as we wanted it, so we went that route.

While there are still MANY issues on the XC90 forums, my MDX has been not so great. I had a host of initial assembly related issues and the suspension makes all sorts of unacceptable noises.

I'm not sure the XC90 wouldn't have had its fair share of issues, but I regret not buying a CPO GX460 or a Denali as I feel those cars are proven and very solid.

In terms of reliability, honestly almost all of my cars except a 2009 BMW X5 Diesel have been very reliable. My Audi's have been fairly bullet proof, so I think most of the reliability feelings come from 10+ years ago when Japanese automakers had figured out electronics and Europeans hadn't (and US makers didn't care too much about what they were building). The world has changed though, electronics are commoditized and understood. I still find Toyota trucks to be ridiculously reliable though, they've still got something going on, especially in the Land Cruiser and Prada builds.

It's a shame because on paper, the MDX is an incredible value when you factor in performance, size, efficiency, features, safety and price/value.

Last edited by BrianV; 10-11-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I'll further add that another big decision factor for us was SH-AWD. While the GenV Haldex system in the XC90 which is the same as the one in our 2013 XC60 works VERY well in the snow (FWD biased), the system is very unappealing in dry/wet street performance.

The Haldex system is incredibly FWD biased and while Volvo claims it preloads and sends power to the rear wheels in anticipation of needing it, it simply isn't the case. With the strong low-end power of the forced induction Volvo engines, I found I was constantly chirping the front tires and having massive torque steer while the AWD system sorted it out and transferred power to the rear.

The SH-AWD seems to distribute more power to the rear out of the gate and of course the rear torque vectoring is world class (only Audi Sport Differential compares). So for sheer driving dynamics, the SH-AWD system is definitely more favorable than the Haldex unit on the Volvo.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:39 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by BrianV
I'll further add that another big decision factor for us was SH-AWD. While the GenV Haldex system in the XC90 which is the same as the one in our 2013 XC60 works VERY well in the snow (FWD biased), the system is very unappealing in dry/wet street performance.

The Haldex system is incredibly FWD biased and while Volvo claims it preloads and sends power to the rear wheels in anticipation of needing it, it simply isn't the case. With the strong low-end power of the forced induction Volvo engines, I found I was constantly chirping the front tires and having massive torque steer while the AWD system sorted it out and transferred power to the rear.

The SH-AWD seems to distribute more power to the rear out of the gate and of course the rear torque vectoring is world class (only Audi Sport Differential compares). So for sheer driving dynamics, the SH-AWD system is definitely more favorable than the Haldex unit on the Volvo.
I agree the SHAWD is more rear biased. There is this spot on the way home from my gym where I need to leave a stop sign, and accelerate up a steep hill quickly. My CRV would chirp the front wheels and torque steer occasionally, this MDX just powers up it smooth and controlled.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35

You've never owned a Jag, have you? Even though reliability has grown by leaps and bounds, it is still a far cry from Acura reliability - perceived or otherwise.
NBP04TL4ME (10-13-2015)
Old 10-13-2015, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

I think that F-Pace is sized like the RDX rather than the MDX.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:34 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by ceb
You've never owned a Jag, have you? Even though reliability has grown by leaps and bounds, it is still a far cry from Acura reliability - perceived or otherwise.
Based on my "gut" feeling, I would only go with Lexus or Acura if I needed to drive a luxury way past the basic warranty. I would consider something from Germany or England if I was on a 3-4 year lease cycle.

I think the ideal of owning a Jag is much better than actually doing it.

My three Acura's have a combined mileage of +310,000 miles. I couldn't do that with most other (near luxury) brands.

Last edited by mrgold35; 10-13-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:21 PM
4th Gear

We just bought a 2016 SH-AWD Advance w/ Entertainment. Our decision came down to these very same two cars. For me, the brand new XC90 blew the Acura away. It wasn't even close. The only area that the MDX beat out the Volvo was the sportscar handling compared to SUV handling of the Volvo. But the reality is that this car is for my wife and she liked the MDX over the Volvo. And with the Volvo being about $6,000 more than the MDX, I couldn't convince her to spend the extra money when it was her car.

At the end of the day, she was more 'comfortable' in the MDX. To me, that's because she has been driving a VW Passat station wagon and the MDX feels inside and drives like a taller station wagon rather than an SUV.

On the topic of cost of ownership, I'm a German car guy. I own two BMW's and my wife's car we traded in was a VW. The added cost of ownership is well worth it to me for the driving experience and engineering. Yeah, call me a eurosnob... ;-)

Now, with all that being said, I'm sure I'm going to be happy with the MDX. We drove virtually EVERY comparable SUV on the market and the MDX was my 2nd or 3rd choice, so while I was very disappointed we didn't get the Volvo I know I'll be ok with the decision long term.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Here's a video

Watch comparison:

Originally Posted by slingshot4ever
Usually on the forums I see comparisons to the German automakers. What are people's thoughts on the recently update XC90 as compared to the MDX (pros and cons).

I have a 07 TSX and absolutely love it, so I always take about Acura while my wife has always had an eye for Volvo. and we are looking for an SUV with 3rd row.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:53 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,581 Likes on 951 Posts
If you want luxury, power, and features, go with Volvo.

If you want reliability, fun, and value package, go with MDX. The hybrid MDX isn't bad at all actually.

This is the most unbiased answer that you can get here
Old 09-18-2019, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
It depends on priorities. The Volvo - even under Chinese ownership - has many more advanced safety features and is a more luxurious vehicle (even more luxurious than the RDX although rockyboy would object). While fit and finish is quite good and superior to the MDX, reliability takes a huge hit.

Once out of warranty and the "free" maintenance period, Volvos tend to get very expensive.

The MDX has more basic versions of similar safety systems but they aren't as well integrated or advanced - but - it is rock solid and reliable not to mention significantly less expensive than the Volvo.

Drive them both and see if the Volvo bowls you over.
Volvo = expensive to maintain yet not truly high handed luxury car like Mercedes. Note the 2 liter 4 pot engine.
Acura = average break down possibility and average cost to maintain.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Not sure why anybody would purchase a car that's supercharged, turbocharged, a hybrid and has a motor. O the problems down the line, lease or buy your screwed im sorry. Really fancy interior though haha
Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
I ended up buying a XC90 recently. It had a lot more features than the MDX Hybrid and seemed more up to date for a car that came out just 2 years after the current gen MDX. I got about 20% off a fully loaded 2019 T6 Inscription as the 2020 models are starting to hit the lots which put the OTD price at about $6K over the MDX. Both have matured through early production issues so reliability should be good on both. The main things I miss from the MDX are the instant hybrid torque and V6 growl. The city MPG's on the MDX are nearly double what I've been getting on the Volvo in a lot of stop and go rush hour traffic though. The first 3 services on the Volvo are free so maintenance should be low for the first 3 years. Once the warranty runs out, I'll see where hybrid tech is at in the industry and may look to trade in depending on how happy I am with the Volvo at that time. The next gen MDX should be mature by then.

EDIT: Nice 4 year necro-bump to advertise your YouTube channel.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
Volvo also happens to have one of THE worst reliability reps right now.

I heavily considered V90 before I bought the S5 and one of the comments I got from a service advisor regarding Volvo was the to quote, "non-stop parade of XC90s into service for warranty or repairs..."
Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,626 Likes on 13,878 Posts
They are gorgeous but yeah...will not touch with a 10 foot pole.