ACURA MDX 2015 Suspension Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey fellow owners, 2015 Mdx here. The rear thump/thunk sound is obnoxious and irritating. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think you're right they all have this bad characteristic. Some of us don't notice as much because the quality of our streets vary...I have a street full of expansion joints and I am constantly reminded of the problem every time I depart and return....qua-thunk, qua-thunk, qua-thunk!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Calico5888
... What is interesting is the car rides well. In other words when one hits a bump you don't feel it in your seat as the shocks do their job.....they just make a loud noise when they do it! ...

Larry
Exactly, that is the thing. It is just the noise that makes it feel cheap, not that you actually feel the bump because there is no proper suspension. This is what makes me think that this is a combination of things. Remember that the cabin is bigger in this model than previous generation, and the engine smaller, hence to reduce the overall weight maybe there is less insulation and/or less pieces used to attach certain components, or the engineering of how the suspension attaches to the cabin, making it so that more "normal" noise from the suspensions travels or makes its way inside the cabin.
Old 12-26-2015, 06:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by BadVibe08
Hey fellow owners, 2015 Mdx here. The rear thump/thunk sound is obnoxious and irritating. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I think you're right they all have this bad characteristic. Some of us don't notice as much because the quality of our streets vary...I have a street full of expansion joints and I am constantly reminded of the problem every time I depart and return....qua-thunk, qua-thunk, qua-thunk!!!
I have decided to install a HONDA strut and spring on my 2015 MDX. I did this only on the driver side to test it out.

I researched the differences between the two, crawled under a PILOT and snapped lots of pictures and studied the parts list between the two cars before making the purchase.

Both have the Amplitude Reactive Dampers that are discussed in the 2016 Honda Pilot Press Release 2016 Honda Pilot - Chassis - Model Press Kit - Honda News

Old 12-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You definitely see less of a "jarring" motion with the Honda parts. What are the Honda part numbers did you get and what do they cost?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by tman
You definitely see less of a "jarring" motion with the Honda parts. What are the Honda part numbers did you get and what do they cost?
All you need is the shock and spring, and a spring compressor from Harborfreight ($15).

http://acura.bernardiparts.com/Acura/Parts-List.aspx
Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 PM
Racer

Link does not work, but that is Acura parts. Did you get Honda Pilot parts? or newer Acura parts?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Bernardiparts.com. Honda parts

Search for chassis, then rear shock absorbers for 2016 Pilot

Shock. $74
Spring. $49
Old 12-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Cruisin'

I suppose you could try to replace only the shock but I thought it best to keep it pure. The Honda spring is different. It has more turns and stands about .75" taller. Final height of car looks to be the same.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:21 AM
Racer

Good info. You did the comprehensive route. The jarring I saw on your first video was the shocks ability to dampen the bumps. You could be right on getting shocks only, but who knows, maybe you need the springs too. Shocks are easier to change out. Too bad you didn't do a video on the parts change.
Old 12-27-2015, 06:45 AM
Cruisin'

Good info. You did the comprehensive route. The jarring I saw on your first video was the shocks ability to dampen the bumps. You could be right on getting shocks only, but who knows, maybe you need the springs too. Shocks are easier to change out. Too bad you didn't do a video on the parts change.

Hmm... Video.
I will give that a try when I install the passenger side.
Old 12-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Racer

Thought you did both sides and the noise was gone. Interesting. To get to the top nut of the shock, does that require removing interior trim for access, or is everything done from below? Nice work! And Yes, video when you do the Pass side.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:41 PM
Cruisin'

Thought you did both sides and the noise was gone. Interesting. To get to the top nut of the shock, does that require removing interior trim for access, or is everything done from below? Nice work! And Yes, video when you do the Pass side.
Driver side only. I purposely only targeted pot holes on the side with the new shock set up. I did not work from inside the car. This shock is integral with the spring and it came out rather easy with the right, inexpensive tools. You only take the shock rod nut off after compressing the spring.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Everyone needs to understand this shock/spring change is addressing the rattle sound heard at the end of a pothole impact and not the hollow booming sound that is more likely atributed to the chassis design. I plan on applying some sound proofing and will document.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Parts list. Genuine Honda OEM Parts & Accessories Online - Bernardi Parts

Shock absorber. 52611-TG7-A01. $76.01
Spring. 52441-TG7-A01. $46.57
Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

You can see the components of the suspension by looking at all the pictures shown at this site (use left and right arrows...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134254...h/23982156492/
Old 01-06-2016, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2015 Advance was produced in 01/15, and does not have the suspension noise many are describing. Hopefully that info will help those trying to figure it out. Incidentally, my MDX does have the wind noise at the driver side window, as many have described.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:41 AM
Cruisin'

Just FYI, took my MDX for service today and was asked about any issues with it. I said, other than the usual crappy sound from the suspension, all is fine. The guy looked at me and checked the file (rear struts already replaced once), so he said let me take some notes. Now I just received a call from my dealer. The car is ready and they got news from Acura HQ. They are coming with a solution within the next 3-4 moths for the suspension noise/clunkyness complains. It seems enough people complained and their engineering team found a solution. By the way, this is in Canada, so maybe somebody from here or in the US could check if they get similar information from their dealers.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tried to make my way through most of the last 4 pages - did I understand correctly that it seems to be only the 2015 and 2016 and not the 2014?
Old 02-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by HBob
Tried to make my way through most of the last 4 pages - did I understand correctly that it seems to be only the 2015 and 2016 and not the 2014?
I've driven two different 2014's from the dealer in my search to find the problem. Both produced the same hollow thunk from the rear cabin after a sharp bump. Perhaps a 2014 owner will respond to verify or correct me. I'll be visiting with my dealer regard the last post indicating there might be a fix coming. Sure hope so!
Larry
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
4th Gear

2015 MDX suspension noise

Hi All. I have a 2015 MDX and live in an area of Seattle with segmented cement roads. The thumping and resonance fron the rear suspension drives me nuts. I am sure being a 7 passenger and towing vehicle the rear suspension is way to stiff. I experimented on a short trip with deflating the rear tires to 21 lbs. The ride was vastly improved. Of course I couldn't leave it a at 21 lbs! I found a place Coil springs specialties that is going to make me 2 rear springs 20% softer ($258). My plan is to try them and see what happens. If they work I probably will have to match the fronts. Unfortunately turn around is 4 weeks. So it will be awhile before I post. Supposedly the 2016 stock spring are a little softer but I don't know how much. They are definitely cheaper around 58 bucks apiece. They do look from the diagram to fit the 2015 but I can't verify. Any way I'm pretty handy with a wrench.....stay tuned.......
Old 02-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by flyguy69
Hi All. I have a 2015 MDX and live in an area of Seattle with segmented cement roads. The thumping and resonance fron the rear suspension drives me nuts. I am sure being a 7 passenger and towing vehicle the rear suspension is way to stiff. I experimented on a short trip with deflating the rear tires to 21 lbs. The ride was vastly improved. Of course I couldn't leave it a at 21 lbs! I found a place Coil springs specialties that is going to make me 2 rear springs 20% softer ($258). My plan is to try them and see what happens. If they work I probably will have to match the fronts. Unfortunately turn around is 4 weeks. So it will be awhile before I post. Supposedly the 2016 stock spring are a little softer but I don't know how much. They are definitely cheaper around 58 bucks apiece. They do look from the diagram to fit the 2015 but I can't verify. Any way I'm pretty handy with a wrench.....stay tuned.......
I've driven a couple 2016's thinking that might be an answer and found they had the same hollow thunk as my 2015. My service man also verified that. I'm now hoping regilan is correct in his earlier post that a fix may be coming. I'm going to check with my dealer later this week to see if he can find out anything about that.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Flyguy69, it is best not to mess around with the spring rate.

The OEM suspension setting and spring rate are factory calibrated to balance ride comfort vs. handling performance.

Softer rear springs (with stock front springs) will increase the understeering tendency of your vehicle.

Even when matched, softer front and softer rear springs will reduce the handling performance (especially emergency maneuver) and may cause your vehicle to bottom out frequently.

Another thing you can try out is to dynamat the entire rear passenger compartment, rear wheel arches, and trunk areas; in order to deaden out the suspension/road noise from transmitting into inside the passenger compartment.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:21 AM
4th Gear

Thanks for the Advice! I am aware of those issues. Had a long talk with the spring guys and picked a reduction that supposedly isn't to drastic. Remember this is an experiment. I can and probably will put the stock springs back in. If they help the noise and are not too soft I will replace the fronts also. I am 63 no kids and don't plan on towing. The car is set up for a possible full 7 passenger load and towing. I don't quite need that. I have a full garage with many tools. It won't really take long to do. If the dealer has a fix coming up, of course that would be best!! If the springs were too soft it would also create a rollover danger! The coil guys said you can't really feel an 8% reduction and and feel some at 10-15%. would start to feel like a floating Cadillac at 30-35%. So I am just going to try it. At 20% Crazy I know.....I never could leave s*** alone!
Old 02-12-2016, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

Maybe someone can try this.
Bilstein 49-151282 Performance Suspension System | Autoplicity
Old 02-13-2016, 10:27 PM
4th Gear

Update about rear suspension. When was getting the first included oil change at the dealer a few days ago I mentioned the rear thumping etc. with out batting an eye they replaced the rear struts (but used the same springs) It seems a little better but not much. They said they didn't hear about a fix in the works??
Old 03-18-2016, 08:34 PM
4th Gear

The suspension noise is pure torture. I had my struts replaced without any improvement in the noise. Such a shame because otherwise it's a great car to drive.
Oh well, at least I have only a few mote months left on the lease.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
So the ILX, RDX and MDX has this noise issue. I can see the issue surfacing initially but why is Acura not doing anything about this 3+ years after the fact?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:38 PM
1st Gear

My 2014 also had the thud/clunk coming from the rear. Dealer replaced right rear strut and it appears to be better.
Old 03-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jcrespo7908
I am truly dissappointed with the lousy rear suspension on my 2015 MDX. This SUV is supposed to stand next to the Q7, X5 & RX350 but its far from it. I returned an RX350 lease to get into this third row seater but only to be discontent with the rattling sounds going on in the rear. I only have 2000k and it sounds like a city cab whose suspension is shot. I've taken it to Acura but they say nothing is wrong. I took a test drive on a new one and it also sounds horrible. I was too excited to notice when I test drove it. Now I'm stuck with a 3yr lease. I hope they figure out what is causing all that racket back there.

This might be a good NEWS!
Dealer indicating that complete shock redesign imminent - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
Old 03-31-2016, 11:57 AM
4th Gear

2015 rear suspension noise update.

Here is an update to my earlier post about replacing the rear springs in a 2015 MDX. I received new 20% softer rear springs from Coil Spring Specialties. I have installed them (about two hours work) The Rear struts come out very easy, three bolts on the upper end of the strut from underneath the car. Two bolts on the swing arm, one for the strut the other on the swing arm so you can lower it and remove the strut. The strut is removed under the car no need to access anything in the rear cargo compartment. I have only driven about 20 miles so far and.....It worked great! I can barely tell any difference in ride except in these two areas. 1. The sharp thump resonance sound is gone. The rear suspension sounds like the front suspension. 2. When driving over speed bumps or backing out of the driveway and rolling over a curb edge the extreme jolt is softened . They designed the springs to maintain original ride height. This may not be true with 7 people and a full load. But with 4 people it was fine. It's just me and my wife and a black lab for most driving. I test drove on the freeway, curvy roads and did some swerving at different speeds. I did not notice any under steer. The car just seems a bit quieter from the rear end and a touch more compliant just enough for me. I of course saved the old springs and could reinstall if I wanted to if I sell the car. CSS had to buy at my expense a stock spring to calibrate new spring design. But now they have the specs and would not have to do it again for anybody interested in buying a set. Price was $289 for both springs.
NOTE
1. This is just one possible fix that I did, If you do it you do it at your own risk.
2. Note Ride is a personal preference (unless dangerous) This worked out great for me.
3. CSS said I believe that 15% or less softer you probably won't notice much.
4. Ride is still sufficiently sporty.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:16 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Anyone here experience a grinding sound in the suspension? I dont know what triggers it and it is concerning
Old 04-11-2016, 05:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I have the same hollow/pluk-plak noise in the suspension. I think I can fix this issue in about 2 years. Read on....

Yes, I will trade it in in about 2 years LOL.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:11 AM
Cruisin'

MDX rear noise

Originally Posted by flyguy69
Here is an update to my earlier post about replacing the rear springs in a 2015 MDX. I received new 20% softer rear springs from Coil Spring Specialties. I have installed them (about two hours work) The Rear struts come out very easy, three bolts on the upper end of the strut from underneath the car. Two bolts on the swing arm, one for the strut the other on the swing arm so you can lower it and remove the strut. The strut is removed under the car no need to access anything in the rear cargo compartment. I have only driven about 20 miles so far and.....It worked great! I can barely tell any difference in ride except in these two areas. 1. The sharp thump resonance sound is gone. The rear suspension sounds like the front suspension. 2. When driving over speed bumps or backing out of the driveway and rolling over a curb edge the extreme jolt is softened . They designed the springs to maintain original ride height. This may not be true with 7 people and a full load. But with 4 people it was fine. It's just me and my wife and a black lab for most driving. I test drove on the freeway, curvy roads and did some swerving at different speeds. I did not notice any under steer. The car just seems a bit quieter from the rear end and a touch more compliant just enough for me. I of course saved the old springs and could reinstall if I wanted to if I sell the car. CSS had to buy at my expense a stock spring to calibrate new spring design. But now they have the specs and would not have to do it again for anybody interested in buying a set. Price was $289 for both springs.
NOTE
1. This is just one possible fix that I did, If you do it you do it at your own risk.
2. Note Ride is a personal preference (unless dangerous) This worked out great for me.
3. CSS said I believe that 15% or less softer you probably won't notice much.
4. Ride is still sufficiently sporty.
Thank you for the update. I could google it but is CSS a local supplier or would they be accessible from Iowa. I'm very interested!

Also noticed the 2017 MDX was introduced yesterday but I don't know when they will show up on dealer lots. I'm anxiously waiting to see if Acura has addressed the rear noise problem and, if so, will the "fix" be available to existing models.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Help may be on the way.

Thanks to everyone that has been contributing to this discussion. I helps to see that others are as frustrated as I am.
I have a 2015 MDX with the technology package and have had this thunking suspension problem all along. I have repeatedly asked my dealer to see a district manager about it. Well, I finally got to meet today with a district service manager at my local dealer, Minneapolis, and was informed that Acura does agree it is a problem and does have a fix for it. He expects the notice to go out to the dealer service departments late July or August. My advisor said he will call me when he receives the notice and can get the parts. Since not everyone is as bothered by this as some of us are I recommend you contact your service dealer in August to see if they have the service notification. I doubt it will be handled as a recall, probably will only be fixed on cars where the owner complains. The good news is "help is on the way".
Old 06-14-2016, 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by JADS
Thanks to everyone that has been contributing to this discussion. I helps to see that others are as frustrated as I am.
I have a 2015 MDX with the technology package and have had this thunking suspension problem all along. I have repeatedly asked my dealer to see a district manager about it. Well, I finally got to meet today with a district service manager at my local dealer, Minneapolis, and was informed that Acura does agree it is a problem and does have a fix for it. He expects the notice to go out to the dealer service departments late July or August. My advisor said he will call me when he receives the notice and can get the parts. Since not everyone is as bothered by this as some of us are I recommend you contact your service dealer in August to see if they have the service notification. I doubt it will be handled as a recall, probably will only be fixed on cars where the owner complains. The good news is "help is on the way".
Thanks for the updated, this is such a good news.
I have 2016 Model and it is very bother me. I can't stand the noises.
Please keep us up-to-date and let us know if the dealer replaced the parts.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MDX rear suspension noise fixed!!!

I just returned from my Acura dealer after they installed the "fix" for the rear suspension noise in my 2015 MDX. It worked! The extremely annoying rear thumping noise from going over bumps and/or pavement cracks is now gone. The ride also seems to be much better, smoother when going over road defects. My dealer just received the bulletin a week or so ago and ordered the parts right away for me. It took about 2 1/2 hours to install them. I don't think this is a general recall and they will probably only do it if you ask them to so you probably won't get a notice in the mail. The car is much more pleasurable to drive now. Pass the word.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:16 PM
Cruisin'

I just returned from my Acura dealer after they installed the "fix" for the rear suspension noise in my 2015 MDX. It worked! The extremely annoying rear thumping noise from going over bumps and/or pavement cracks is now gone. The ride also seems to be much better, smoother when going over road defects. My dealer just received the bulletin a week or so ago and ordered the parts right away for me. It took about 2 1/2 hours to install them. I don't think this is a general recall and they will probably only do it if you ask them to so you probably won't get a notice in the mail. The car is much more pleasurable to drive now. Pass the word.
Do you have the TSB #? please share.
thanks
Old 08-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by irobot2090
Do you have the TSB #? please share.
thanks
TSB thread is just about 4 rows down... 16-035.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...letins-947739/
The following users liked this post:
irobot2090 (08-09-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

with this post and the service bulletin number in hand I stopped at my dealer today. He hadn't heard of it but looked up the bulletin, smiled and said, "I'll order the parts and you can leave the car on Monday"! Sure appreciate everyone's help and the constant pressure on Acura......looks like they finally listened!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Calico5888
with this post and the service bulletin number in hand I stopped at my dealer today. He hadn't heard of it but looked up the bulletin, smiled and said, "I'll order the parts and you can leave the car on Monday"! Sure appreciate everyone's help and the constant pressure on Acura......looks like they finally listened!

I just returned from having the work authorized in service bulletin 16035 completed. Rear shock noise is completely gone and the car sounds like a $50,000 Acura should! I'm not an engineer but was told the shock was replaced as the original ones were creating the noise. Not the most specific explanation but it worked so I didn't press it. For those of you still struggling with this just take the bulletin # with you and the rest should be easy. Good luck.

Quick Reply: ACURA MDX 2015 Suspension Noise