546 Watt Acura ELS Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:08 PM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
546 Watt Acura ELS Stereo

Just had a listen to this stereo. Does not sound much better than the 529 watt stereo that is one grade below. One thing I have noticed is that the BMW Harman Kardon stereos put these to shame. But then again BMWs are a bit of a rip and cost 30% more than Acuras. Can't have it all.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Why doesn't Acura offer the RLX Krell system as an option on the MDX Advance. I've never listened to it to see how it compared to the current or last version of ELS. That seems like a lot of firepower and development cost wasted for a very low volume vehicle.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:24 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
Why doesn't Acura offer the RLX Krell system as an option on the MDX Advance. I've never listened to it to see how it compared to the current or last version of ELS. That seems like a lot of firepower and development cost wasted for a very low volume vehicle.
Wow!!! First I have heard of this!

Reviews and Awards - Acura Krell Sound System
Old 03-27-2015, 04:47 AM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The latest ELS system (as in 3rd gen) has significantly better processing, amplification, and speaker quality than prior gens. For example, this current gen ELS has individual amplification/DSP channel for EACH speaker. In prior ELS, you get one channel for both tweeter and woofer on the front door. Currently, the 3rd gen MDX has one channel for door woofer AND one channel for tweeter...so, the front door has TWO channels of amplification/DSP for the two speakers (as opposed to one channel for both in older MDX). This allows for much more accurate DSP for better staging, separation of notes, and clarity.

As in headphones or home audio, a good system will amplify a weak source's issue(s) more than a crappy system. For example, a good earphone may actually make a crappy song sound worst than if you hear that same song with a $5 walmart earphone.

If you want to know a system's quality, then compare your car's audio system to a good pair of headphones or your home audio. For me, the MDX ELS is pretty damn good. Other systems will have more bass or more treble, but that does not mean that it is ACCURATE. My old Prius JBL system has tremendous mid-bass...so, good for bass lovers and impress folks immediately, but is it good system? No. Just like Mark Levinson in Lexus will NEVER be boomy or harsh because that is not what good audio is about.

Other systems try to impress folks with booms and/or highs that are very bright (see B&O audio and Krell in cars). Get your favorite CD or a good source...sit back and get a good headphone or your home audio...and compare. You will see that ELS got it right.