30K Mile Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30K Mile Service

2016 SH-AWD Advance/Enter

My car's approaching 30K miles and does anyone actually get services at 30K and 60K the dealers recommend? Why or why not? I assume the orginal warranty still valid even if I were to get maintenance works done at my own mechanic, correct?
Old 04-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 44 Posts
I've had my 2010 SH-AWD MDX serviced by the Acura dealer at all service intervals i.e. 15,30,45 and 60 . I change oil at 30% on the reminder with synthetic. Dealer service every time. Probably too conservative; spending a little more than needed. I had the timing belt replaced at 7years, per Acura recommendation, but his was only 66,000 miles so maybe that was a little early. Maybe all this is overkill. But my repair costs on the vehicle over seven years have been .... zero dollars. So, based on my experience , yes you should follow the manufacturer's service recommendations. You won't void your warranty if you use your mechanic as long as your mechanic follows the Acura protocol.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Scott in AZ
I've had my 2010 SH-AWD MDX serviced by the Acura dealer at all service intervals i.e. 15,30,45 and 60 . I change oil at 30% on the reminder with synthetic. Dealer service every time. Probably too conservative; spending a little more than needed. I had the timing belt replaced at 7years, per Acura recommendation, but his was only 66,000 miles so maybe that was a little early. Maybe all this is overkill. But my repair costs on the vehicle over seven years have been .... zero dollars. So, based on my experience , yes you should follow the manufacturer's service recommendations. You won't void your warranty if you use your mechanic as long as your mechanic follows the Acura protocol.
You've spent enough on unnecessary maintenance to overshadow any repair costs, which should be zero at only 60,000 miles. As far as I know, there is no time limit on the timing belt replacement, only mileage and required when the MID indicates, and changing oil at 30%, need I say more.

The dealer schedule is a complete rip-off, just go by the MID, along with brake fluid change every 3 years max.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Not sure if you have other Acura dealerships in your area or stuck with just one. There can be a big price difference on services and what the dealership recommends -vs- what is required. I split my services up between Firestone (alignment), Discount Tires (balance/rotations), Interstate (battery), local shop (brakes, suspension, aftermarket upgrades, power steering pump, alternator, spark plugs), Walmart/Amazon/eBay (engine/cabin filters, engine oil, spark plugs, belt, belt tensioner) and Acura dealership (fluid changes and warranty work). Takes more time with 3 Acura; but, saves a lot of money compared to 100% dealership. I let my Acura service manager know about any work not done at the dealership to put on the maint report and they can reset the individual M.I.D. codes if needed. Works for me after 11 years and having +370,000 miles between all three vehicles.