2017 MDX - Engine/Transmission noise

Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 MDX - Engine/Transmission noise

Wondering if anyone experienced noise/vibration when accelerating or driving steady, especially around 1500-200 RPM even at "Comfort" setting? It also feels like I'm driving on 3 cylinders instead of 6. I've read the engine is supposed to be noisy due to Direct Injection pump/injectors design, but this is beyond uncomfortable. I've driven 2014 MDX and it was day and night (quieter) compared to 2017.
Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Ive actually noticed the opposite! I had 14' and felt like it was on 3 cylinders on highway all the time. I have 17' advanced (keep it on sport) and love the 9 speed tranny. Couldnt be any smoother.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Howard (10-15-2019)
Old 01-03-2017, 01:43 PM
10th Gear

Thank you, it may've been that I got a "lemon". I did report the noise to the Acura dealer and their mechanic dismissed it as car working "as designed". The transmission is shifting fine up/downwards, however when it settles on a gear, there is this is shuddering noise that I can only describe as driving with cheap winter tires on a rough pavement in cold weather. I checked it on the smoothest roads and it still there (I have the original tires). The idling engine can be heard farther away from the car than it should. If you give it some gas, it makes it as loud as small construction crew after lunch.
The car has only 2000 miles on it and the noise was there since day 1.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 AM
2nd Gear

try this...

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-008.PDF
Old 01-04-2017, 11:28 AM
10th Gear

Thank you, interesting document. At least there is something pointing that "chirping" exists and how to fix it (BTW, nice word Acura, more like peaceful birds chirping in the forest). I will point this out to their mechanic at my next visit. In my case "chirping" accompanied by a vibration\shudder, sometimes transmission makes a forceful gear change, first time it happened it almost felt like I was hit in a back. Also, when moving slowly from standstill and turning wheels, sometimes there is a loud clunk from one of front axles (I think). Is there a way to force a transmission to relearn? In some cars (like a MB) you can do it by following special sequence (something like holding gas pedal to the floor with engine off). Someone mentioned on one of forums that these new 9 speed transmissions are German made?
Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Really odd.. like i said ive experienced the exact same stuff you described in my14' ...it was killing me. I was so happy to have all those issues resolved on my 17'. Something has to be wrong. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:23 AM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by vsandlk
It also feels like I'm driving on 3 cylinders instead of 6.
Well, at times it is running on 3 cylinders. The VCM will engage during moderate speed cruising and at low or moderate engine loads, the system operates just the front bank of 3 cylinders.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 AM
10th Gear

It's somewhat encouraging that others are having similar issues, but at the same time it does not feel right for those problems to persist for years without a cause being found and fixed. I'm certainly not looking forward to years of driving this car in such condition. I may as well paint it yellow and put it for sale On the sluggishness note. I heard that there's an automated system that supposed to turn off rear 3 cylinder bank while coasting to save on fuel. Perhaps this is what misbehaves? Wondering if there's a way to disable it (like using "S" or sequential mode), but if not - it would be a nice option. I don't want to save on fuel at the expense of performance.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:23 AM
10th Gear

Missed the previous note from MTD. So this VCM system, is there a way to disable it? For how long MDX has it? I mean do 2014-15 models have it as well? I tried using "S" mode and it seems to only increase the time transmission stays in each gear. I know you can manually shift gears using these levers on the steering wheel, but it's not something I want to do constantly.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:33 AM
10th Gear

I googled VCM and vibrations and bingo - hundreds of pages came up. So there are definitely problems with earlier generations of VCM and less but still with new ones. Bad news - there is no way it can be disabled by Honda/Acura because they would loose EPA rating. Fortunately, you can buy an aftermarket device that would do that. Quote: "VCM can lead to problems including but not limited to: excessive oil consumption; spark plug fouling; misfires and misfire codes; worn engine mounts; vibrations during VCM activation; hesitation when accelerating out of VCM mode; sense of a lack of power when cruising. Honda has admitted to some of these issues with the loss of their class action lawsuit, warranty extensions and TSB’s. GM has similar issues with their ACM technology". You can read more here: VCMuzzler II for disabling VCM - FAQ's - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Old 01-05-2017, 09:55 AM
10th Gear

From another page:
My 2014 MDX was new in October. After about 3000 miles I began hearing short (1 to 3 second) vibration type sounds, at speeds anywhere from 20 to 50 mph, coming from under the hood directly in front of the driver position. I also sense a momentary lapse of power of the same duration and corresponding to the sound. In winter months I live in Florida so I took the car to the Acura dealer in Ocala. The service guy, who heard the sounds while on a test drive, said he was aware of the defect as others were in about the same noise. He said it has to do with the cylinder management system when cylinders are de-activated/re-activated re: fuel conservation. I asked what the fix was and he replied there wasn't one. He said an Acura rep had been to the dealership in November and told them Honda didn't consider the problem worthy of a recall and therefore nothing would be done to rid the car of this very annoying, repetitive vibration noise. He also told me that certain 'Honda' models, with engines which have had the cylinder management system for a few years, also have the problem (this is a new engine for Acura in 2014).
I told him ANY mechanical defect can be fixed and in my opinion Honda/Acura are simply ignoring their customers by not acknowledging and then fixing it. It may not (or may, the jury is still out) affect the performance of the cylinder management system BUT it really annoys me to have to listen to the noise constantly (and for as long as I will own the car for possibly for another 2-3 years) and therefore it should be dealt with. Notwithstanding I paid approx. $55,000 for this car and expect to be treated with kid gloves if they wish to retain me as a loyal customer, which I have been as I have owned a 2009 RDX, a 2011 MDX and now this model!!
If they do not address this defect they will definitely lose me as a repeat customer, probably to Lexus.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:10 PM
10th Gear

The other workaround to disable VCM is to simply pull the connector off the oil pressure switch. It could cause some lights to come up, but VCM would be a dead beat. Wondering about giving it a try to help with diagnosis at least. I believe there should be a diagram on the location of this sensor in files?
Old 01-06-2017, 10:07 AM
10th Gear

Update. Got the car from the service, the vibration is gone! When asked what was done, they said they said the transmission was trying to select a gear and could not properly decide to keep on high or low gear due to speed and RPM. They did PCM Idle learn procedure and now it works like a charm.
I just hope it stays that way down the road.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by vsandlk
Update. Got the car from the service, the vibration is gone! When asked what was done, they said they said the transmission was trying to select a gear and could not properly decide to keep on high or low gear due to speed and RPM. They did PCM Idle learn procedure and now it works like a charm.
I just hope it stays that way down the road.
good that the technician is knowledgeable! i can imagine if i brought this in to my dealer they would say there's no problem with it.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:44 AM
10th Gear

Yes, they seem to know what they are doing. They actually brought another 17 MDX from their demo fleet to help me understand there is nothing wrong with the engine. They said a lot of new Honda\Acura customers complain about the engine noise which is in fact how high pressure injectors sound.
After listening the other car I was convinced as well. Don't ask me how, but the original Acura dealer managed to install previous generation MDX mudflaps on my car, so they will order new ones and replace them. They will also try to polish scratches inflicted by the other dealer during PDI. So overall, I can confirm that the right level of service means a lot. If you try to understand customer issues and offer real help, it goes a long way.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

Another update. The transmission vibration is back. The fix was only temporary and lasted for a day. Wondering if there is a firmware update or something that will make the fix to stick.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 PM
1st Gear

No activity here on this for some time, so I'm wondering if the problem was resolved? My 2016 with 9 speed problems have not been and I haven't figured the problem out myself. The sounds emanating from under hood, left side sound like a lightweight chain "slapping" the interior of a stamped steel cover, like hitting a transmission pan or something. The sound doesnt appear to elevate or speed up with engine or road speed, it doesnt appear to vary with rpm increase, but it seems most prominent at 30 and up, clearly discernable around 50-70 mph. Very annoying and unless repaired, I refuse to buy this car after lease, which was my original intention, and like someone else mentioned, I too will become another car brand's loyal buyer.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:15 AM
1st Gear

Owner here of 2017 ACURA MDX ADVANCE.
Had first transmission problems (jerking / lurching / hesitation) at about 500 miles that went away after two months of hell.
Took it in to dealership, but they were worthless. They could not fix or understand what was going on.
Few weeks later, I decided to switch key fobs... guessing it reset transmission and jerking went away. Not sure how that worked.
Approaching 36,000 miles about a year and half later, and transmission just took a dump (very loud continuous buzzing & clunking noise from the front).
Luckily car is under warranty for 50,000 miles. Just had the entire transmission replaced.
I plan on trading in this car before 50,000 miles!!! Seems like recent Acura models are plagued with transmission problems that reveal themselves very early and get worse closer to warranty expiration.
Not worth the headache and death risk.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Received 997 Likes on 571 Posts
Originally Posted by 2017MDXSUCKS
Owner here of 2017 ACURA MDX ADVANCE.
Had first transmission problems (jerking / lurching / hesitation) at about 500 miles that went away after two months of hell.
Took it in to dealership, but they were worthless. They could not fix or understand what was going on.
Few weeks later, I decided to switch key fobs... guessing it reset transmission and jerking went away. Not sure how that worked.
Approaching 36,000 miles about a year and half later, and transmission just took a dump (very loud continuous buzzing & clunking noise from the front).
Luckily car is under warranty for 50,000 miles. Just had the entire transmission replaced.
I plan on trading in this car before 50,000 miles!!! Seems like recent Acura models are plagued with transmission problems that reveal themselves very early and get worse closer to warranty expiration.
Not worth the headache and death risk.
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry for your bad experience but we would rather you didn't make the same post in 3 different threads so I deleted the other two posts.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:06 PM
10th Gear

2017 MDX AWD Tech owner here and no issues what so ever besides the infotainment being a little slow upon start up.

Search this Thread