2016 MDX SH-AWD from 2011 BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 MDX SH-AWD from 2011 BMW X5

Hello everyone. I have made the move from BMW to Acura. Unfortunately, my X5 proved to be a reliability nightmare that could not be trusted any longer. (4 dealer visits in the last 9 months, last being a $2k high pressure fuel pump) BMW dealer and BMW North America's horrendous customer service and caring helped lead me to this decision.

The new MDX is a 2016 with technology package. Added options were remote start, oem tow package, tinted windows, all weather mats & living hinge cargo mart, and hard wired radar detector.Got about $3,800 off msrp. I have driven about 180 miles so far this first week of ownership.

I really like it a lot. I have defaulted the IDS to Sport mode and it feels comparable to the BMW in response and handling. The technology is better overall as well as the interior. I do miss the birdseye / surround view cameras when parking as well as the folding mirrors and panoramic sunroof of the Bimmer. Since I can't yet post pics, here is a link to the pictures:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...hint=folder%2c

Looking forward to great years of ownership ahead and getting to know the people on this forum.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2015, 12:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My local BMW dealer said BMW - "Bring Money With"... guess you can attest to that! Welcome to the Acura family!!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Haganjeff, what options did you have on your X5 ?

When equipped with OEM handling package and OEM wide-ass tires, the X5 will handle curves and corners so well that not even the torque-vectored SH-AWD MDX is able to match.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

When equipped with OEM handling package and OEM wide-ass tires, the X5 will handle curves and corners so well that not even the torque-vectored SH-AWD MDX is able to match.
I guess this all comes down to the merits of a RWD vs FWD platform. The X5 is built to be sporty, the MDX is supposed to be both sporty and luxurious so gives way in some aspects.

I STILL haven't had the chance to test drive an MDX so I wish I could comment more about it. But I did own an X5 and have the same sentiments as the OP. Reliability nightmare.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Yes, I had the Sport Activity package with the oil drum size tires. Rears were 315/35/20! Miss that look. Honestly, the 16' MDX is not far behind when cornering in Sport mode. The X5 makes its power lower in the power band, but the MDX loves the higher revs. I would get low 6's to 5.9 to 60 in the BMW. Car & Driver tested the MDX right there with it. They are certainly comparable.

The MDX desperately needs a Type S option with a little more grunt and wider tires. I would certainly be in!
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by haganjeff
Yes, I had the Sport Activity package with the oil drum size tires. Rears were 315/35/20! Miss that look. Honestly, the 16' MDX is not far behind when cornering in Sport mode. The X5 makes its power lower in the power band, but the MDX loves the higher revs. I would get low 6's to 5.9 to 60 in the BMW. Car & Driver tested the MDX right there with it. They are certainly comparable.

The MDX desperately needs a Type S option with a little more grunt and wider tires. I would certainly be in!
Acura desperately needs to form a sort of performance sub model brand. Lexus has f-sport, Audi has s-line, Mercedes has AMG, BMW has M-sport, VW has R-Line, cadillac has V-sport...etc. They don't need to go crazy, just give bigger and wider tires, different more aggressive trim and bumpers, thicker sway bars, stiffer suspension, more aggressive engine and transmission tuning, different seats and steering wheel.

Or

They can go crazy and really up it by providing different engines, transmissions....etc.

I think it would help bring in buyers, but kinda doubt that many people would look at Acura for something like that, who purchases a 7 passenger SUV for sporty driving anyways?
Old 07-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx10
acura desperately needs to form a sort of performance sub model brand. Lexus has f-sport, audi has s-line, mercedes has amg, bmw has m-sport, vw has r-line, cadillac has v-sport...etc. They don't need to go crazy, just give bigger and wider tires, different more aggressive trim and bumpers, thicker sway bars, stiffer suspension, more aggressive engine and transmission tuning, different seats and steering wheel.

Or

they can go crazy and really up it by providing different engines, transmissions....etc.

I think it would help bring in buyers, but kinda doubt that many people would look at acura for something like that, who purchases a 7 passenger suv for sporty driving anyways?
i do
Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
i do
Nothing wrong with that, but 99% of the general population does not.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
i'll take wider tires over anything! i'm planning to replace my stock tires to 255/5519 when due for replacement. our stock tires are 245/55/19
Old 07-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jzhu625
i'll take wider tires over anything! i'm planning to replace my stock tires to 255/5519 when due for replacement. our stock tires are 245/55/19
That really isn't an appreciable difference, go with something like a 275 wide tire, you will be very happy.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Congrats on your torque vectoring, fast and refined MDX that will stay that way for many, many miles without becoming a BMW money pit

Great to hear a real world review, and the MDX in Sport mode definitely has the edge.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The drive of BMW is incredible, I just would never want to own one.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
i do
+2...the reason why I chose the Acura. Prerequisite was that it had to tow at least 3,500, be nice looking, decent mpg, and be fun to drive with above average quickness. For me that list became BMW X5, Audi Q7 S-Line, Porsche Cayenne, Acura MDX SH-AWD, and Volvo XC90. I came to BMW from an Infiniti FX35 which I loved. Unfortunately they removed the ability to tow more than 1,500 lbs.

I really liked the new 2016 Volvo XC90. The prices were just too steep with no discounting off msrp. I'm extremely pleased with the MDX so far. It just needs a few features to make it perfect.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:46 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts

Keep in mind that, on the MDX, the IDS "sport" mode doesn't stiffen up the suspension, like most luxury sport cars that have adjustable suspension do.

The "sport" mode basically lowers the steering assist, remap the engine curve, remap the transmission shift characteristic, and remap the SH-AWD power distribution scheme.

So, in effect, the "sport" mode won't give the MDX more handling performance. Only aftermarket suspension parts, wheels and tires will, since OEM has none.

You are right that Acura should release a Type-S trim of the MDX that has stiffer suspension and bigger/wider wheels and tires.

Better still is to bring back the driver adjustable, Magneto-Rheological active suspension that was once available for the previous generation MDX.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
to OP, I have been lurking on bimmerfest and saw your post there. Congrats on your purchase. As an 9-year Acura owner, I am madly in love with E70 and seriously considering pulling the plug but getting talked out of it due to reliability issues.

There just isn't a better riding crossover that is lightyears ahead in options offered. Even the brand new MDX does not offer them now, and a 6000 lb towing capacity is nice too.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Keep in mind that, on the MDX, the IDS "sport" mode doesn't stiffen up the suspension, like most luxury sport cars that have adjustable suspension do.

The "sport" mode basically lowers the steering assist, remap the engine curve, remap the transmission shift characteristic, and remap the SH-AWD power distribution scheme.

So, in effect, the "sport" mode won't give the MDX more handling performance. Only aftermarket suspension parts, wheels and tires will, since OEM has none.

You are right that Acura should release a Type-S trim of the MDX that has stiffer suspension and bigger/wider wheels and tires.

Better still is to bring back the driver adjustable, Magneto-Rheological active suspension that was once available for the previous generation MDX.
Good point, I forgot about that completely. Yes the new MDX doesn't have any sort of adjustable suspension which is kind of annoying and kind of stupid. I mean they have the technology, and it is their flagship SUV, why take it out?

I guess they took it out for the purpose of reliability and easier to produce on the product line. But they could have at least put some form of adjustable hydraulic sway bar system in. Even the toyota 4runner has an adjustable hydraulic sway bar system and that SUV is nowhere near sporty.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Racer

Hello everyone. I have made the move from BMW to Acura. Unfortunately, my X5 proved to be a reliability nightmare that could not be trusted any longer. (4 dealer visits in the last 9 months, last being a $2k high pressure fuel pump) BMW dealer and BMW North America's horrendous customer service and caring helped lead me to this decision.

The new MDX is a 2016 with technology package. Added options were remote start, oem tow package, tinted windows, all weather mats & living hinge cargo mart, and hard wired radar detector.Got about $3,800 off msrp. I have driven about 180 miles so far this first week of ownership.

I really like it a lot. I have defaulted the IDS to Sport mode and it feels comparable to the BMW in response and handling. The technology is better overall as well as the interior. I do miss the birdseye / surround view cameras when parking as well as the folding mirrors and panoramic sunroof of the Bimmer. Since I can't yet post pics, here is a link to the pictures:

Looking forward to great years of ownership ahead and getting to know the people on this forum.

Jeff
Hi and welcome! Can you comment on the interior space, dimensions and overall versatility of your X5 compared to the MDX? Did you have the third row in the bimmer?

I'm currently debating the MDX vs a CPO F70
Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 PM
Racer

Jeff
Hi and welcome! Can you comment on the interior space, dimensions and overall versatility of your X5 compared to the MDX? Did you have the third row in the bimmer?

I'm currently debating the MDX vs a CPO e70, but have concerns that the X5 is too small even with third row.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by formerRSX-S

I'm currently debating the MDX vs a CPO e70, but have concerns that the X5 is too small even with third row.

Thanks.
No, I did not have the 3rd row option. Wasn't available with the Sport package either if I remember correctly. That option did require the air suspension on the X5 which has a history of failures with the airbags that lift the suspension. I find the MDX much more roomy in the cargo area. The headroom and legroom seems similar. The cargo area on the MDX doesn't seem as tall though. I also miss being able to walk under the tailgate without worrying about hitting my head!