2016 MDX oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2016 MDX oil change

This is how i performed an oil change by myself for the first time. Did I do it right? I KNOW I did not have the right tools ready. Any tips for the next time?
https://youtu.be/1_0OWMHoqd8
Old 01-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
A suggestion: Learn how to edit your videos. This should be no longer than 2 to 3 minutes. Thanks for taking the time to share.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Probably jack & jack stand.. look like you didn't have a lot of clearance..

-Jack/stand
-socket set
-latex/vinyl glove.. oil is bitch to get off.. also it might be bad to your health

FYI, the layout looked exactly like my 05 tsx.. drain and filter near the same location. Also I heard fram is worse filter company.. i would use factory original. I usually order from ebay/dealer vendor or online acura dealer
Old 01-23-2017, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Use a form a funnel next time for the filter.
A proper funnel will probably also make pouring oil in a cleaner process, as it has a larger catch area.
Did not see anything about a new crush washer for the drain plug.
You also wrote 1.25 qts of oil in the description. It looks like you are probably using the correct amount as you checked the dipstick, but it would be best not to misinform others.

As for FRAM or not, I leave that up to the internet to debate, but just know that the OEM is Honeywell anyway (they are the ones who make FRAM), unless you buy the Filtech version.
The MDX is high enough to not really need to be jacked up for an OC. It does make things easier, but it's really not necessary.