2016 MDX Heated Steering Wheel Install Code Issues, Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
2016 MDX Heated Steering Wheel Install Code Issues, Help

Hey Guys, just got done installing a heated steering wheel on my wife's 2016 MDX, it has LKA and Dynamic Cruise. Part number for the steering wheel was 08U97-TZ5-210A. Was actually going to post a DIY on how I did it, took a ton of pictures however I was met with issues after wrapping up the install. I got everything back together, every switch on the steering wheel(Volume, trip, cruise, etc) and switches that required me to pull work on the car including the heating element in the steering wheel. However after taking the car for a short drive, I got hit up by several steering related error messages such as lane keep assist problem, power steering problem, brake problem, etc.

I suspect I'm getting hung by one of 2 steps from the install, one being at the end of the install it says to hook up an HDS ans clear DTC codes. However I have toggled through the manual diagnostic menu and no DTC codes are listed for me to clear.

The second potential culprit I suspect and is more likely is the steering angle sensor is not set correctly, there is a step that says to not let the inner tabs turn on the steering angle sensor and also to turn it full to the rights till it stops then rotate backward about 3 full turns till it is in an upright position.

Anyone run into this issue? Am I barking up the right tree? Thanks.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts
I posted over at mdxers.org and found a member who ran into the same issue this week. He had to go to acura to get them to reset the steering wheel cable reel sensor, there is a new one included with the heated steering wheel that has an extra input and output port for the heating element on the wheel. Link to the thread for reference.

Heated steering wheel install troubles - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

Any chance I can reset this sensor with some free HDS software and a plx kiwi obd2 bluetooth dongle via my android phone?