2015 MDX ShAWD TECH Wheels recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 MDX ShAWD TECH Wheels recommendation.

I wanted to replace my 19 inch OEM Wheels, any recommendations on which brand? Thank you.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:10 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
If you give us some additional details to help narrow down possible suggestion that might work better for you. Are you looking for tires only or tire+aftermarket rims also? I live in the southwest, drive +20,000 miles per year, hwy speeds of 80-85 mph, dry/sunny 95% of the time, occasional mountain switchback driving, dedicated summer/winter tire changes wouldn't work that well for me, and occasional rain/snow/ice/freezing temps for only a few hours or days at a time. I ended up going with Conti DWS 06 for the 99% solution and I haven't been disappointed (on my second set).

Last edited by mrgold35; 03-25-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrgold35
If you give us some additional details to help narrow down possible suggestion that might work better for you. Are you looking for tires only or tire+aftermarket rims also? I live in the southwest, drive +20,000 miles per year, hwy speeds of 80-85 mph, dry/sunny 95% of the time, occasional mountain switchback driving, dedicated summer/winter tire changes wouldn't work that well for me, and occasional rain/snow/ice/freezing temps for only a few hours or days at a time. I ended up going with Conti DWS 06 for the 99% solution and I haven't been disappointed (on my second set).
Thanks for the reply brother. I live in Southern California, I wanted to replace my stock 2015 MDX SHAWD TECH 19 inch with 20 in aftermarket wheels. I wanted something with lips, graphite, black or similar in color. No chrome please. I can get either rims only or both. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
What style do you usually like? 5 spoke? Multi-spoke (think like Mercedes AMG rims)? Straight spokes or triangular? Do you want concave? Wheels is a highly subjective style thing. Hard to give recommendations without a hint about your style preferences, though hearing you say lips makes me think of BBS stuff. Is that something you had in mind?

What I can recommend though, is that you find a style you like and then find an out of state online retailer like bbwheelsonline to get them usually at a cheaper price than you could here. I've compiled a few styles I've found in a thread over at MDXers though: COMPILATION THREAD: 3G Wheels and Tires - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

See if that helps.

Last edited by neoshi; 03-25-2017 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:42 PM
Racer

Also this thread about 22" wheels, but you can kind of extrapolate 20" look on there (just think chubbier tires heh): https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...dx-22s-901864/
Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neoshi
What style do you usually like? 5 spoke? Multi-spoke (think like Mercedes AMG rims)? Straight spokes or triangular? Do you want concave? Wheels is a highly subjective style thing. Hard to give recommendations without a hint about your style preferences, though hearing you say lips makes me think of BBS stuff. Is that something you had in mind?

What I can recommend though, is that you find a style you like and then find an out of state online retailer like bbwheelsonline to get them usually at a cheaper price than you could here. I've compiled a few styles I've found in a thread over at MDXers though: COMPILATION THREAD: 3G Wheels and Tires - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

See if that helps.
Thanks Neoshi brother for the reply. After looking around the web, I do like the multi-spoke concave from Vossen. My MDX is black, I was thinking getting 20 inch but 22 should be perfect. Not sure the major ride quality between 20" vs 22". What do you think of Staggered on the SHAWD MDX? I would love for my wheels not to pass the fender. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Apollo2TheMoon
Thanks Neoshi brother for the reply. After looking around the web, I do like the multi-spoke concave from Vossen. My MDX is black, I was thinking getting 20 inch but 22 should be perfect. Not sure the major ride quality between 20" vs 22". What do you think of Staggered on the SHAWD MDX? I would love for my wheels not to pass the fender. Thanks.
Personally, I never use staggered on an AWD vehicle. AWD systems need nearly identical rolling diameters front and back or you put additional wear on the AWD components, especially the transfer case and rear differential, and once you stagger it's hard to get close on diameters. Someone I know also shaved two of the four tires to make it identical diameters, but that's just wasteful and time consuming lol.

On a SUV, I think concave all around looks pretty decent, so 10"-10.5" width rims are good for that. I am a Vossen VFS2 kind of guy, so if you like the same, a recommended alternative for you is a Niche M157 or 158.

So far there haven't been complaints about 22" ride quality that I've seen. It's firmer, but supposedly not as bad as one would think. However, I would look into the statement from XO Luxury that said to stay away from 22" on the MDX, 20" max (something about ruining the brakes and rotors). The guy who made the statement in the thread also mentioned that the vibrations are between 65-70 mph only, which makes me think he has issues with wheel balance primarily.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:28 AM
Racer

Forgot to write that if you want to stay inside the fender, stay around +38 offset at most. +35 is a maybe, but definitely not +30 and on.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:27 PM
Instructor

Personally, I never use staggered on an AWD vehicle. AWD systems need nearly identical rolling diameters front and back or you put additional wear on the AWD components, especially the transfer case and rear differential, and once you stagger it's hard to get close on diameters. Someone I know also shaved two of the four tires to make it identical diameters, but that's just wasteful and time consuming lol.

On a SUV, I think concave all around looks pretty decent, so 10"-10.5" width rims are good for that. I am a Vossen VFS2 kind of guy, so if you like the same, a recommended alternative for you is a Niche M157 or 158.

So far there haven't been complaints about 22" ride quality that I've seen. It's firmer, but supposedly not as bad as one would think. However, I would look into the statement from XO Luxury that said to stay away from 22" on the MDX, 20" max (something about ruining the brakes and rotors). The guy who made the statement in the thread also mentioned that the vibrations are between 65-70 mph only, which makes me think he has issues with wheel balance primarily.
Thanks Neoshi for this very useful reply. Yup the Staggered idea was pretty dumb. I do like Vossen concave wheels, so you recommend 10-10.5" to get the concave look? My MDX is black and I wonder what would be the best finish color options. I would go for the 22", 20" is too small for the MDX. I wonder how much each tire going to cost for thw 10" width rims. Lol. Thanks brother for being very helpful.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Apollo2TheMoon
Thanks Neoshi for this very useful reply. Yup the Staggered idea was pretty dumb. I do like Vossen concave wheels, so you recommend 10-10.5" to get the concave look? My MDX is black and I wonder what would be the best finish color options. I would go for the 22", 20" is too small for the MDX. I wonder how much each tire going to cost for thw 10" width rims. Lol. Thanks brother for being very helpful.
Yeah under 10" width are still flat faced, but double check with Vossen whether it starts at 10 or 10.5". I'm pretty sure it's 10".

I think all three choices of colors available are great. They all have their pluses and minuses. The gloss graphite is a good dark tone if you prefer the more subdued look. The bronze is loud and definitely pops, so great contrast there. The classic silver polished is just classic and goes well with the chrome to contrast the black.

I think I priced 22" tires for 10.5" width and they're about $200-500 more than 20" total for all four depending on your tire choice. Wasn't terribly bad!

Looking forward to see what you pick
Old 03-28-2017, 12:07 AM
Instructor

Yeah under 10" width are still flat faced, but double check with Vossen whether it starts at 10 or 10.5". I'm pretty sure it's 10".

I think all three choices of colors available are great. They all have their pluses and minuses. The gloss graphite is a good dark tone if you prefer the more subdued look. The bronze is loud and definitely pops, so great contrast there. The classic silver polished is just classic and goes well with the chrome to contrast the black.

I think I priced 22" tires for 10.5" width and they're about $200-500 more than 20" total for all four depending on your tire choice. Wasn't terribly bad!

Looking forward to see what you pick
Man, I have to admit after looking at the VFS2 got me sold, exactly perfect for the MDX. I'd initially love the look of the CVT style, but after a hard look at them VFS2. Oh man, I do love all 3 finishes, it is gonna be a hard decision, plus I do not plan to lower my MDX anytime soon. Those Niche rims tho, the ones you recommended do look pretty good compare to the VFS2 and at 1/3 of the price. I wonder how is the quality of the Niche compares to the Vossen. Thanks Neoshi.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Neoshi, check your PM. Thanks
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this is an old post but will 20x10.5 VSF1 fit without modification?