fix clunky shifts with clutch pedal adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 07:50 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
fix clunky shifts with clutch pedal adjustment

I have 121k on my original clutch, change fluid @ every 40k, and did hydraulic fluid at 100k. Even with my last fluid change a couple thousand miles ago, shifts between all gears were still a little rough/clunky, almost felt like clutch not fully disengaging between shifts. High rpm "fast" shifts went away long ago.

Couple days ago I finally spent a few minutes and adjusted the pedal push rod one rotation clockwise. Immediately my normal shifts smoothed out noticeably, almost butter smooth again. Did my daily onramp 1-2 redline shift, and while not a easy and smooth as normal driving, it shifted pretty well, not completely locked out like it's been.

I figure like brakes over time, clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel all thin out, but unlike brake caliper pistons that automatically make up for the travel, the clutch slave cylinder doesn't. Now it's a little longer push to make up for thickness lost and can fully disengage the clutch.

I searched a little on here about pedal adjustment and didn't find anything, so maybe this will help someone with similar symptoms to keep that higher mileage clutch going a bit longer. I wouldn't mind another 100k out of this clutch...

Whose got the highest mileage clutch?...
The following users liked this post:
Terdbath (07-07-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 05:33 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by komplexZ
I have 121k on my original clutch, change fluid @ every 40k, and did hydraulic fluid at 100k. Even with my last fluid change a couple thousand miles ago, shifts between all gears were still a little rough/clunky, almost felt like clutch not fully disengaging between shifts. High rpm "fast" shifts went away long ago.

Couple days ago I finally spent a few minutes and adjusted the pedal push rod one rotation clockwise. Immediately my normal shifts smoothed out noticeably, almost butter smooth again. Did my daily onramp 1-2 redline shift, and while not a easy and smooth as normal driving, it shifted pretty well, not completely locked out like it's been.

I figure like brakes over time, clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel all thin out, but unlike brake caliper pistons that automatically make up for the travel, the clutch slave cylinder doesn't. Now it's a little longer push to make up for thickness lost and can fully disengage the clutch.

I searched a little on here about pedal adjustment and didn't find anything, so maybe this will help someone with similar symptoms to keep that higher mileage clutch going a bit longer. I wouldn't mind another 100k out of this clutch...

Whose got the highest mileage clutch?...
This is interesting, I did about 95k on my clutch. I couldn't feel slippage, but shifting at high rpm was basically impossible. I wonder if this would have helped. After installing new clutch and flywheel, I examined the old friction plate, and it was pretty much ready to be changed, not quite down to the rivets, but the nylon (I think it's nylon interwoven) was freying and coming apart. It needed to be changed, but probably could have gotten another 5-8k out of it before it really needed to be changed. I felt the same though, the lockout/hard shifts felt like I wasn't disengaging completely. After new clutch it went back to butter and drives great now.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:42 PM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Ive done this on my last few manual cars with great results. I like the clutch to grab about an inch or two from the clutch pedal stop.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:54 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my clutch fluid 2 days ago along with a new clutch pedal. Car shifts almost like day 1. Car is right at 99,800 miles and my mechanic said the original clutch is still good. Gonna see how long I can ride it out for.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
I have been looking for a clutch adjustment with no luck till now. THANKS!
Old 07-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
Push seat all the way back
Lay on floorboard on your back with head looking up at the pedals
12 mm open end wrench to loosen lock nut.
Name:  IMG_1772_zpskya3ebzs.jpg
Views: 2906
Size:  100.8 KB
Name:  IMG_1774_zpsykzbe1tr.jpg
Views: 3431
Size:  91.9 KB