Damp/musky cabin smell with heat on a rainy day?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Damp/musky cabin smell with heat on a rainy day?

I've noticed that on really damp or rainy days, if the car has been sitting and I turn on the heat the car gets a really muggy and damp smell. It smells like wet paper. I'm assuming that my recently replaced cabin filter is getting wet and causing the smell. I used a generic but well reviewed cabin filter off of Amazon. Does anyone else experience this?
Old 01-03-2017, 10:30 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX1012m6
I've noticed that on really damp or rainy days, if the car has been sitting and I turn on the heat the car gets a really muggy and damp smell. It smells like wet paper. I'm assuming that my recently replaced cabin filter is getting wet and causing the smell. I used a generic but well reviewed cabin filter off of Amazon. Does anyone else experience this?
I've notice it happen too... Just the muggy part, no smell.

It happens when you use ac then go to high heat... condensation builds up in the car.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
I've noticed this on a few different vehicles, that smell sucks.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Yeah the smell does suck. I'm wondering if this generic cabin filter is to blame. It's not necessaryily offensive like the previous owner was a stinky person, but it definitely introduces a muggy and humid odor in the car. Like wet cardboard.<br /><br />I'm definitely not using the AC in the winter. I noticed from the old cabin filter all the leaves and crap that was in it. It makes me wonder if water gets in there as well. I'd hate to think the windshield had been replaced and someone didn't put back the trim correctly. It does have the Acura logo on it.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you figure out the source of the damp smell? Were the carpets damp?