Adding a conversation mirror to my car??

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Adding a conversation mirror to my car??

having a child you kinda want to keep a eye out instead of turning around to look in the back and alot of the newer suv's have a mirror where the sunglass holder is. I've seen someone do a DIY from a honda odyssey into a ridgeline. Has any one done anything like that for a tsx? A 2011 honda accord did one too.

DIY-7th Gen - Conversation Mirror Install - Drive Accord Honda Forums
Old 01-11-2016, 01:54 PM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Same part, just order it. Should be fairly cheap. Expect the same result with the mirror not being angled correctly though. Would still be beneficial I would imagine.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,575 Likes on 6,626 Posts
so that's what it's for?! I always thought it was a "watch the baby" mirror or a "keep an eye on your teenage kids when you're driving their gf's/bf's so they don't get handsy" mirror
Old 01-11-2016, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ssjoeboe9
Same part, just order it. Should be fairly cheap. Expect the same result with the mirror not being angled correctly though. Would still be beneficial I would imagine.
100% it'll fit?? ya i saw the honda thread and the angle isn't perfect but works still
Old 01-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
so that's what it's for?! I always thought it was a "watch the baby" mirror or a "keep an eye on your teenage kids when you're driving their gf's/bf's so they don't get handsy" mirror

lol, yes it's to keep a eye on your baby or whatever's in the backseat
Old 01-11-2016, 02:13 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
When they're rear facing, you can attach a mirror to the seatback of the seat you have the car seat installed. Then you just angle it so you can see the kids face in that mirror when using the rear view mirror.

Once they're front facing, you don't really need it since you can see them in the rear view mirror.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
When they're rear facing, you can attach a mirror to the seatback of the seat you have the car seat installed. Then you just angle it so you can see the kids face in that mirror when using the rear view mirror.

Once they're front facing, you don't really need it since you can see them in the rear view mirror.
he's front facing but if i angle the rearview mirror to see him then i don't see much in the back...i have a clip on mirror that i clip to the visor but i want to do a sleek oem style hidden mod...
Old 01-11-2016, 02:34 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
As the embedded Accord thread you posted above mentions, my daughter has this in her CR-V and although she doesn't need it, it does work pretty well. With the part numbers aren't off all that much I would expect the fit to be 100% (although I can't guarantee it). I would go for it, if I were you.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:52 PM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by alexbenz
100% it'll fit?? ya i saw the honda thread and the angle isn't perfect but works still
I don't work for Honda, but yeah it'll fit.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:04 PM

I had to go confirm something that I suspected about this...

First, the flip-down mirror part you're talking about comes as the whole assembly as shown in the forum post you linked in the OP. That part will not be a drop in replacement for the TSX sunglass holder. I'm assuming all TSXs have sunroofs (I *think* that's true), but if they don't and you don't have one, then you might be okay. Assuming I'm right and you do have a sunroof, it won't be a drop in replacement.

Check out this picture from the 7th Gen Forum post:

And this picture from my car that I just went out into the cold and took because I'll suffer for the cause:

See how the TSX unit has the homelink buttons between the lights and the sunglasses holder? That makes the whole assembly about an inch longer than the Accord/Odyssey/CRV/1G-TSX/Etc.

I know for a fact that the overall size is different because I happen to have a 1G-TSX/7G-Accord unit in hand (for sale in Black Market if anyone is interested by the way) and confirmed that it is a different overall length.

There is a chance that the flipdown pocket/mirror can be swapped though. I was fairly sure that the pockets were the same between the 1G and 2G TSX, but looking at the pictures, it sort of looks like the 2G is a little bit more squared off in the corners that pop down so I'm starting to have some doubts.

So, if you go this route, you won't be able to simply buy the part and R&R. You'll need to disassemble the two consoles and swap just the flip-down pocket/mirrors.

I also know from looking at the 1G and 2G flip-down pockets, that they use different retaining mechanisms to hold it shut. You know how when it's closed and you press it and it sort of pushes in a bit before opening? They changed that mechanism between generations. You might need to figure out how to swap that or make it work.

That's as far as I can take this adventure right now. I'll leave it up to the class to work through the rest of the problem to determine if the flip-downs are direct compatible size wise and how to make the retention feature work.

Good lucks and happy modding!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:55 AM
Instructor

I had to go confirm something that I suspected about this...

First, the flip-down mirror part you're talking about comes as the whole assembly as shown in the forum post you linked in the OP. That part will not be a drop in replacement for the TSX sunglass holder. I'm assuming all TSXs have sunroofs (I *think* that's true), but if they don't and you don't have one, then you might be okay. Assuming I'm right and you do have a sunroof, it won't be a drop in replacement.

Check out this picture from the 7th Gen Forum post:

And this picture from my car that I just went out into the cold and took because I'll suffer for the cause:

See how the TSX unit has the homelink buttons between the lights and the sunglasses holder? That makes the whole assembly about an inch longer than the Accord/Odyssey/CRV/1G-TSX/Etc.

I know for a fact that the overall size is different because I happen to have a 1G-TSX/7G-Accord unit in hand (for sale in Black Market if anyone is interested by the way) and confirmed that it is a different overall length.

There is a chance that the flipdown pocket/mirror can be swapped though. I was fairly sure that the pockets were the same between the 1G and 2G TSX, but looking at the pictures, it sort of looks like the 2G is a little bit more squared off in the corners that pop down so I'm starting to have some doubts.

So, if you go this route, you won't be able to simply buy the part and R&R. You'll need to disassemble the two consoles and swap just the flip-down pocket/mirrors.

I also know from looking at the 1G and 2G flip-down pockets, that they use different retaining mechanisms to hold it shut. You know how when it's closed and you press it and it sort of pushes in a bit before opening? They changed that mechanism between generations. You might need to figure out how to swap that or make it work.

That's as far as I can take this adventure right now. I'll leave it up to the class to work through the rest of the problem to determine if the flip-downs are direct compatible size wise and how to make the retention feature work.

Good lucks and happy modding!
i was actually was looking at that, how we have the homelink in there and the shape is slightly off on the sunglass holder area. I'm going to see if i can find one for cheap at a junkyard and then taken out the mirror and swap it in or my other plan was to make my own
Old 01-12-2016, 07:59 AM
ROTAREDOM

dude, CRV has homelink and all of that, just buy the CRV one it's $40.

I thought that's what you were alluding to in the first post...
Old 01-12-2016, 08:05 AM

Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Instructor

dude, CRV has homelink and all of that, just buy the CRV one it's $40.

I thought that's what you were alluding to in the first post...
nah i was talking about the minivan...but what year cr-v fits?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:49 AM
ROTAREDOM

For Reference...

83250-T1G-G01ZA - Genuine Honda Console A*YR449L*
Old 01-13-2016, 08:22 AM

Hey! Finally helpful.

Gold star for you:
Old 01-13-2016, 09:08 AM
ROTAREDOM

I work with these parts every day... I thought it was obvious.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 60 Likes on 49 Posts

This^
Old 01-14-2016, 08:40 AM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
I wish it came in black. I could use this to keep an eye on my hoes while im drivin the TSX with a gangster lean on my right ass cheek.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Username 0
I wish it came in black.
I haven't looked but I see no reason why it wouldn't come in colors that match the interior colors. Black being one of them..........
Old 01-14-2016, 04:00 PM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Arent black headliners rare in Honda/acuras? Ive only seen all black headliners in the SE tsx.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:59 PM

We have an 09 Accord and an 07 CR-V both with black leather interiors. I believed they both had black headliners, but not you have me questioning that. I will have to look at the Accord in the AM. The CR-V is with my daughter at school.
The following users liked this post:
Username 0 (01-14-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 02:29 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered a 2013 Odyssey overhead console last year to install into the wagon for the same reason. The console would not fit into the wagon, as it was too tall. IIRC, the Ody console was slightly taller than the TSX part and roof profile likely contributed to this. HTH
Old 04-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Instructor

never got around to doing this mod, sold the tsx last week and bought a toyota highlander that has one...gotta say it's kinda hard to view people with that conversation mirror.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:46 PM

OP is so committed to adding the conversation mirror he goes and replaced the whole car.

That's dedication. Or commitment. I don't know. Or maybe you should be committed. No idea.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:29 AM
Instructor

i replaced the car because it was too small for my families needs. Don't struggle with the new car and it has way more features then my acura did.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:15 AM

Hey, welcome back!

How is the Kid Lyfe treating you? Hope all is well and congratulations! (On the Highlander, that's a nice car. Oh. And probably the kiddo as well )
Old 11-29-2016, 12:54 PM
Instructor

thanks, i still come on here and look at what people have done to their rides. I still love the look of the tsx. I actually might lease a RDX in the near future since were having another kid on the way early next year. I recently saw a couple that had 2 little kids try and get into a tsx like mine and boy were they struggling. I don't miss that part of it.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:52 AM
Rows His Own

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey SSJoe

I'm hoping you can help me out - I'm actually going to do this, instead of say I'm going to do it and then buy a toyota

In the parts diagram there are 3 potential parts in question - 16, 7 and 29.

I've never seen on any website the part number for 16, let alone availability to purchase. Will this part alone will suffice for converting my TSX to have a convo mirror?

Part 7 I can find but same question as above.

Lastly, if I buy the assembly - part 29 (I assume this is parts 16+7), are there any that don't have the conversation mirror and are just a sunglasses holder instead? I surely would want to avoid this situation. This part is 80$ not 40$ though and I want to be sure that I'm getting the right thing. Thanks

Thanks,
Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 AM
ROTAREDOM

You can only order 29 as an assembly, but that part is on CRV touring, and CRV touring has the conversation mirror. I think you should be good to go.