Driver 1 / Driver 2 not recognizing

Old 09-27-2016, 01:42 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver 1 / Driver 2 not recognizing

I purchased a used 2011 Acura TSX that only came with one key. Then, I recently lost my keys and had to get replacement ones made. I found a locksmith who made two keys with remotes (switchblade type) as well as one valet key. The remotes work perfectly, unfortunately they are not programmed to be Driver 1 or Driver 2, so when I try to customize the settings (like having all doors unlock when the car is turned off), I receive the following error: "driver unknown customize impossible".

I have tried to hold down the Lock and Unlock buttons on the remote, but it does not cause the light to flash - regardless of whether I am in the car after recently unlocking it with one of the remotes. The key also does not have the usual Link/Unlink instructions on the back.

I tried to ask the locksmith about it, and they said they didn't know but that the keys are all standard so everything should work fine. Does that mean that I was given knock off keys that cannot be programmed, or is there something I could do?

Any help you could give will be GREATLY appreciated.
Old 09-28-2016, 07:13 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Did you reset/clear the memory on the Driver 1/2 selector on the door and then try to relearn the keys?
Old 09-28-2016, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,568 Likes on 6,621 Posts
are they OEM Acura keys?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:36 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Did you reset/clear the memory on the Driver 1/2 selector on the door and then try to relearn the keys?
I have not reset/cleared the memory on the Driver 1/2 selector - I did not think that this would be necessary to link a key? If it is, please let me know how to do it.

Originally Posted by thoiboi
are they OEM Acura keys?
I am not sure - but something tells me that they are not; they look just like the original one however it does not have the Acura symbol on the back of the key and instead only shows and empty square where it looks like one could be inserted.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mguskey
I have not reset/cleared the memory on the Driver 1/2 selector - I did not think that this would be necessary to link a key? If it is, please let me know how to do it.

I am not sure - but something tells me that they are not; they look just like the original one however it does not have the Acura symbol on the back of the key and instead only shows and empty square where it looks like one could be inserted.
I think you hold the 1 & 2 button on the door until the light flashes or goes out or something. Or maybe you hold the "set" button until something happens. I forget. It's been a while.

You can search because I know I've mentioned how to do it in the past so it's here somewhere. Or check the manual.

Or just go start pushing and holding buttons until something changes.

Also, it sounds like you've got aftermarket keys. So that might be the root of the problem.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:57 AM
5th Gear

I think you hold the 1 & 2 button on the door until the light flashes or goes out or something. Or maybe you hold the "set" button until something happens. I forget. It's been a while.

You can search because I know I've mentioned how to do it in the past so it's here somewhere. Or check the manual.

Or just go start pushing and holding buttons until something changes.

Also, it sounds like you've got aftermarket keys. So that might be the root of the problem.
The keys look just like this: https://www.remotesremotes.com/Produ...JrQaAmuX8P8HAQ
But pressing the unlock and lock buttons does not make the light flash; so can I assume they can't do that?
Old 09-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I think you'll need OEM keys. Preferably cut and programmed by dealer
Old 09-28-2016, 11:03 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Yeah I think you'll need OEM keys. Preferably cut and programmed by dealer
So angry with the locksmith - I feel like they should know that and be upfront about that.....guess there is no recourse at this point
Old 09-28-2016, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by mguskey
The keys look just like this: https://www.remotesremotes.com/Produ...JrQaAmuX8P8HAQ
But pressing the unlock and lock buttons does not make the light flash; so can I assume they can't do that?
Did you try resetting/clearing the receiver unit in the door?

If the key isn't registered then nothing will happen. And if you can't register the key without clearing the memory, then nothing will happen.

Try from step 1.

Grab your owner's manual and see what it says to do to register a key. Then go give that a shot and let us know what happens.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:20 PM
5th Gear

Did you try resetting/clearing the receiver unit in the door?

If the key isn't registered then nothing will happen. And if you can't register the key without clearing the memory, then nothing will happen.

Try from step 1.

Grab your owner's manual and see what it says to do to register a key. Then go give that a shot and let us know what happens.
I tried the methods that you mentioned above to reset/clear the receiver unit in the door; but to no avail and also tried searching all 493 of your posts and could not find another that you mentioned resetting.
Regarding registering a key, it says to press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the fob to link/unlink; but this does not work for me.

One more thing - some people have mentioned that when they turn on the car it says "Welcome" instead of "Welcome Driver 1/2". But when I start the car it does not display "Welcome" at all....
Old 09-28-2016, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

all signs point to a faulty key bud

hate to break it to ya