Aftermarket speakers with similiar stock bass repsonse?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:20 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Aftermarket speakers with similiar stock bass repsonse?

Does such a thing exist?

I'm not looking to do too fancy of an audio setup in this. I've done that before, but my tastes have changed. I won't be adding a large or enclosed subwoofer. If I do something with the sub, it will be replacing it with a better 8" freeair sub and adding an amp.

Just wondering if anyone has heard or knows of speakers that are an upgrade to our 6.5" speakers (front and rear) that still respond well to lower frequencies? I already replaced my rears with some JBL 2-ways, and it sounds better, great mids and highs but really no low.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
2 ohm stock speakers in the base model?
Old 08-21-2016, 07:24 PM
Racer

Yeah it is the base model. Are they 2 ohm? I definitely thought they were 4ohm.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Yeah mine were definitely 2 ohm speakers. I believe that's why such surprising output from the stock system.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Racer

I bought these for the rear GTO628 | Concert-quality 6 1/2 inch 2-way Car Speakers which I have used before in combination with the GTO 608c and an amp, plus 12" JL audio sub and amp. The whole system sounded great when put together, even though the JBLs don't have great bass output without a sub.

The only aftermarket 2ohms I see are the focals (using crutchfield)... so it sounds like I won't be able to match the bass output without ripping out the whole system, adding an amp, etc. Which is fine - I just don't have the time/money to do it all at once with all of the other occurrences in life. I was wanting to replace the speakers for the time being in the front too, but I know that I'll pretty much lose all the bass in the front if I do replace them and keep using the factory amp.

Just now, I did look at sonic electronics and they show the JBL GTO638 (3-way) as being a 2-ohm speaker. I'm not sure what the JBL speakers really are... they have something going on:

"True 4-ohm topology performance: For the most powerful performance, the GTO628 makes the best use of any amplifier by providing an optimum 2-ohm load. It uses a lower-impedance voice coil than a typical speaker to extract the most power and performance possible from all amplifiers engineered to drive loads of 4 ohms or less. "

I know it isn't that the speaker is under powered, because even with a higher power amp they still don't have the bass response of the stock speakers.

There are some infinity speakers on sonic's website: Infinity Kappa 62.11I 6.5" Kappa Coaxial Car Speakers but the materials seem kind of meh.

I realize I'm trying to "cheat", sort of. If you or anyone has any suggestions on how to/what to buy to retain bass and still be an upgrade, I'm all ears. The only thing I definitely don't want is a sub in the trunk. I will eventually replace the stock sub with probably the free-air 8" sub pioneer makes and others have had luck using.