2009 Base Model Audio Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2009 Base Model Audio Questions

So I do know how to search, but after reading many threads, I'm still a little confused. I have recently acquired a 2009 TSX base model (no NAV). I've messed with the eq settings a lot, but in general am pretty dissatisfied with the sound quality (which seems to be the consensus among 2nd gen base model owners). I'm not thrilled with the bluetooth handsfree quality either (everyone says they can't hear me on the highway). My previous car was a 2014 Chevrolet Cruze and the bluetooth features were way better (although it admittedly was 5 model years newer). I've also recently purchased an Android phone (always been an iPhone guy) and the bluetooth audio is crap, but I suspect much of that is the phone and not the car. Sound through the aux in jack is better, and it's also better with wifi turned off the phone and with speed controlled volume off as well (I think). I'm going to try my wife's iPhone to see how much of this is the phone and how much is car. Regardless, even with a CD in the player, I'm not thrilled with the sound quality.

To cut to the chase, if I decide to upgrade, I've read threads about the front door speakers and tweeters being the most critical to upgrade. I'm not a bass-head, so I'm not looking for a sub or anything, I just want to clean up what's there. It appears from the threads I've read that upgrading the speakers will expose the stock system's weird treble-heavy eq settings that compensate for the low quality of the stock speakers. My first question is whether this is correct and if so, where does that come from, the stock head unit or the stock amp (or both)?

If it's the head unit, then what happens to the LCD screen if I upgrade? Does it still display the climate control settings only? The rest is blank? I'm also under the impression that HFL, usb, and aux inputs go away as well, but a new head unit will likely have those features. Also, I know I can get rest of the steering wheel controls working with a new head unit and an adapter.

If it's the amp, then can I replace it with a better amp, or do I have to leave it in place, use a LOC into a new amp and then into new speakers?

Or is it really both the head unit and the amp. I'm hoping someone can confirm things I think I know and point me in the right direction where I'm confused. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
the eq settings are in the headunit, and the amp, amplifies it.
so, both.

and i think its the car, not the phone.
as the base car is lacking in the stereo dept.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:45 AM
ROTAREDOM

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,058 Posts
I found that just replacing the head-unit improved sound quality (although I never really had a problem with it before.) The biggest improvement was Bluetooth calling. The person on the other line can finally hear/understand what you are saying, and additionally there is no more feedback/endless looping of audio and/or latency with audio during the phone call.

I would say replace head unit, get improved features additional tech.. then decide if you wanna upgrade speakers/amp after you mess with the equalizer settings on your new unit.
The following users liked this post:
pL2009 (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for this. What head unit did you go with? The car I had before the Cruze was an '02 Olds Intrigue with the Bose Radio. I eventually got rid of the head unit (with a tape deck LOL) in favor of something with a line in for the phone. I had a Pioneer and it was decent but locked up occasionally. Didn't change the sound at all as it was still feeding into the same amp and speakers. Fortunately I was really happy with that system so I was glad the sound stayed the same. In this case, I'll be hoping for some improvement.

When I change out the head unit, does the LCD stay blank except for the climate control settings and compass?
Old 11-17-2016, 07:47 AM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by pL2009
Thanks for this. What head unit did you go with? The car I had before the Cruze was an '02 Olds Intrigue with the Bose Radio. I eventually got rid of the head unit (with a tape deck LOL) in favor of something with a line in for the phone. I had a Pioneer and it was decent but locked up occasionally. Didn't change the sound at all as it was still feeding into the same amp and speakers. Fortunately I was really happy with that system so I was glad the sound stayed the same. In this case, I'll be hoping for some improvement.

When I change out the head unit, does the LCD stay blank except for the climate control settings and compass?
Correct, your display will only do HVAC now.. it really doesn't look awkward that there is no audio information. I also replaced my display with a 2011+ because those had the reflection countermeasure applied. Makes a huge difference in actually seeing the screen. I got it for $25 on EBAY after carefully searching for about 3-4 months.

I went with a $300 (at the time) JVC unit. But I would say it's already slightly dated. If I were you I would search for a head unit that has capacitive touch, and supports carplay and android auto. I think that's gunna give you the best upgrade experience. Again, when I replaced my head unit I was going for better tech, rather than improved sound quality, but I did get some improvement with audio (I think mostly being able to adjust the equalizer with the 10X more settings that came with the head unit make the biggest difference over the limited adjustment with base grade head unit Acura provides)

Good luck man, all the other threads about head unit have great info for you on how to choose a head unit, and all the required procedures, tools, and wiring.
The following users liked this post:
pL2009 (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 08:33 PM
Intermediate

Yes, I have seen many threads on changing the head unit, others on changing the speakers, so I wasn't really sure where to start, so thanks. I've also read you lose the compass with the head unit swap. I really like having a compass. Does anyone know if a rear view mirror with a compass would work like the Gentex 50-GENK5AM?

Thanks again for the pointers.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
I sometimes forget that I had a 2010 tsx base - traded in after a year or so for an odyssey because of twins and we were sad to see it go. Anyway, I remember having issues with bluetooth and handsfree.. People couldn't hear me very well just like OP is saying. I just thought that everyone was nuts because it was a new car and hey it's an Acura so there was no way that it could be the car. I don't remember being impressed @ all with the base audio system though. I'd start with a new head unit and update the rest when you can.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:52 AM
ROTAREDOM

Originally Posted by pL2009
Yes, I have seen many threads on changing the head unit, others on changing the speakers, so I wasn't really sure where to start, so thanks. I've also read you lose the compass with the head unit swap. I really like having a compass. Does anyone know if a rear view mirror with a compass would work like the Gentex 50-GENK5AM?

Thanks again for the pointers.
I liked the compass too... but.. ehhhh..... everyone uses their phone to navigate anyway. Or just glance out the window to see where the suns at.