Bridgestone Turanza W/Serenity

Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone Turanza W/Serenity

I know most of the members here are performance based enthusiasts, so I'm sure there will be some lol's and what!?!? in this thread, so let me just clarify my situation...

My car is a 2003 Type S...my new job is in business to business sales. I went to get an alignment today and found out that the inner tread on my two front tires are completely bald (how they passed inspection a month ago, I don't know)....so I will need to get a new set of tires soon.

I've researched hundreds of tires online and in local shops and have come to the conclusion that the Bridgestone Turanza's may fit my needs the best. In the TSX section of this forum, there's quite a few members that love them. From my understanding, they seem to have great tread, great traction, all season, and have a very quiet ride...which is actually what I'm looking for right now...I don't plan on racing or taking my car to the track anytime soon.

I do understand that I may lose some performance vs. ultra high performance tires, etc....but I have also read that many people barely notice a difference....they do have a decent speed V and load 95 rating....plus AA traction and A for heat....

Has anyone put these on their TL's and if so, what has been your experience?
Old 10-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Rice Patrol

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
my theory on it is that unless you're consistently going 100+mph, then having V rated tires is not an issue.

lets be honest, you drive a luxury car. not a performance machine. and especially if you need less road noise and more comfort, then why make things harder on yourself?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by V_Langs_3.2TL
my theory on it is that unless you're consistently going 100+mph, then having V rated tires is not an issue.

lets be honest, you drive a luxury car. not a performance machine. and especially if you need less road noise and more comfort, then why make things harder on yourself?

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too....plus V rated tires in this size can handle up to 149 mph...more than enough for me.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Rice Patrol

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yep! use what's comfortable to you!
Old 11-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have heard and read that the Bridgestone Turanza Serenitys are a very solid premium-touring tire, but I use the Michelin Primacy MXV4s on my 2002 TL and they are an ideal blend of comfort and performance. IMO they are the best premium-touring tire on the market, they are a little pricey but you get what you pay for and they are only slightly more expensive than the Bridgestones. The MXV4s are virtually silent on the road and they give the car an extremely smooth, comfortable, and refined ride at all speeds. They handle very well too given their class with solid steering feedback and they have very good traction even in rain and snow along with a solid treadlife rating.

My Primacy MXV4's are V-speed rated which I believe is also the OEM speed rating for the 2nd gen Type-S and in general they are just so well rounded a such an incredible blend of comfort and performance that you don't really have to sacrifice anything if you go with them.

Tirerack has done comparison testing of the Michelins and the Bridgestones along with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums and the Goodyear ResponEdge and the Michelin Primacy MXV4s came out on top in the overall scores and also in just about every individual test as well although the Bridgestone's were right under the Michelins and the Kumhos were slightly below both the Michelins and the Bridgestones which is amazing considering how much cheaper the Kumhos are than any other premium-touring tire on the market.

If I was on a very tight budget but I still wanted a solid premium-touring tire I would go with the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinums as I had them on my Saturn Aura and they were very good but not quite as good as the Michelins I have on my TL. However if money wasn't the primary concern and I wanted the best premium-touring tire possible with no compromises I would go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4s, with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenitys being a solid secondary choice.

Whatever you do choose I would highly recommend getting them from Tirerack I've used them many times before and they are great, you can see all the different reviews on all different tires they have a HUGE selection of different kinds of tires also and their prices are very competitive.

BTW you can check out the Michelins on Tirerack here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....l=Primacy+MXV4

And you can check out the premium-touring tire comparison tests here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...n_Primacy MXV4

Last edited by crazyjkz; 11-03-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Intermediate

Just an update, got the Bridgestones this past weekend. So far, so good...way better than the Yoko's that were on the car. Car rides much better, smoother, quieter and to my surprise, handles much better too. Got a really good deal on the tires. I got them done at the local Firestone - they had a sale, buy 3 get 4th free...I even talked the guy into giving me free lifetime rotation and balance...all for $573, out the door. I was going to buy them from tire rack but after shipping and install costs, they would have run me about $50 more without the lifetime balance and rotation.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 PM
8th Gear

I have the Turanza's on my '02 TL and they are loud, and not great in the snow. I don't like them.