Well guys lets review these NEW "OEM" 17" TL tye s wheels from parts geek (company)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Well guys lets review these NEW "OEM" 17" TL tye s wheels from parts geek (company)

Well I'll give my run down on why I ordered these first and then just briefly share. Never know who might enjoy this?

Ok so I ordered a set of OEM style Acura TL Type S 17" aluminum wheels. I ordered 2 actually. The reason I pjurchased a set is because I have lateral run out on the drivers front wheel, I am not sure how many other locations also have lateral run out, but I can say. I have rebuilt the entire front end of my 2002 TL Type S.

Well first I ordered from EBAY a set of front suspension/steering components , just off the top of my head I believe the kit had 2 new of the following, upper control arms with upper ball joints, lower trailing arms, sway bar links, lower ball joints, steering rack tie rods (both the inner and the outer)

I even put a new oem Honda spindle on the passenger side, which to be honest I didn't have to buy, the original was fine other than it being old and needing the balljoint, but some warehouse on Ebay had some available at a price that was low enough for me to have one of those (hell why not) moments I could remind myself I like buying car parts sometimes, so anyways.

I also added from EBAY New drilled and slotted rotors. I bought an OTC hub tamer and that allowed me to put in new Hub wheel bearings.

I saw axles really aren't very expensive either so I also bought and new set of those.

And I also bought on Amazon, a Powder coated front brake caliper set, the company selling them is called Callahan. (My brain makes me want to type something about that being the company Tommy worked for in the movie Tommy Boy) And I really only bought those because my drivers front caliper bracket ended pulling the threads from the tapped hole on the original. And after taking a look at local store prices, It was an absolute no brainer the Callahan Brake calipers on Amazon were so inexpensive as a full set both sides both calipers and brackets, that I ordered a set after calling the company to make sure the listing I had seen on Amazon was the correct listing for my 2002 TL Type S. I live in Ohio, and was absolutely surprised that these calipers came packed incredibly well(double boxed) and they showed up the very next day.

So guys what happened after I replace the entire front end at my shop and had another shop do the inner and outer tie rods on the alignment rack I still had an issue.

At around 60 miles per hour my steering wheel shakes, sometimes worse and sometimes to a lesser degree.

Ok now I have in the last two months that I have owned this car one of the first things that had to be done(that the prior owner neglected just like so many other things on this vehicle with 310,000 miles) was new tires. Firestone carries the OEM 17" size in there inventory from the company or brand called PRIMEWELL.

So now after replacing ALL front end parts new, I still had vibration, and I could see at least, the drivers side left front wheel had lateral run out with me watching the wheel/tire spinning while the car was on my lift and the transmission in gear and engine running.

So I ordered these wheels and I want to share ,with you all who may be interested, if these wheels I purchased end up being ok.

Well the first thing I can say was the price was fair IMO. The company website I ordered these from was parts geek. Now the packaging was not really something a company should be that proud of, but the wheel I unboxed and did a quick visual inspection on seemed to be ok and had survived any instantly recognizable damage from the thin packaging and from the shipping company, however , the shipping companies in the USA are always a crap shoot anymore.

So anyways, hopefully I can rid my TL from having vibration at highway speed. However I cannot do more than share what I am seeing so far in sharing these wheels under photographs that other guys may have seen, at least to start we can probably say making sure you add shipping insurance , mainly mentioned with regard to that being a under $4.00 option at checkout from the company that I purchased these from, and that this particular copy Is made in China and from there I have little to offer information wise about these reproductions such as the actual alloy and material being compared to the OEM wheels.

So this is the first Post. I'll update as I continue the new Wheel(s) as they wind up to the destination location on my Car and have been properly balanced. Only time will allow me to learn and share a review further.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:29 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
China wheels..... Man be very careful with those, Don't hit a pothole evah!
Old 06-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Skirmich

I agree brother.

Well I have had the wheels mounted by discount tire and my vibration issue and lateral run-out is finally gone. However Discount Tire noticed one of my new Primewell tires from Firestone looks defective so I have an appointment today to have it warrantied.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:23 AM
Intermediate

Horrible experience's at Firestone. They actually blamed the new wheels so I went back to Discount tire to have them run tests on the wheel versus the tire. The Culprit? The new wheels from Parts Geek are fine and NOT an issue. The Primewell Tires from Firestone , well, 1 of them is defective.

The bad news is after going back to Firestone with having beyond a doubt and having been shown by the Tire tech at discount tire the lateral run-out and defect in the new tire, Firestone simply AGAIN denied any defect in the tire. Unbelievable business practice at Firestone. Discount tire doesn't carry this line of tires and is STILL going to help me get some warranty out of it, even though they did not sell me the tires. Unreal.

Oh and to top it all off , Firestone actually "lost" one of my center caps on the second visit.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:35 AM
Intermediate

Adding Citations

Well something I noticed on Parts Geek is the availability of several options for the OEM style 17" Tl Type S wheel.

The ones I purchased were the cheapest and standard finish.

Action Crash Wheel
Click to Enlarge
(1 Reviews)
Action Crash ALY63908U10N
Wheel

Close

Loading Reviews...

Retail Price:
$211.58Sale Price: $117.98

Quantity:

(>12) In Stock

Part Number: 5954-04030427
Notes: ALLOY WHEEL; 17 X 6.5; 5 SPOKES; 5 LUG; 115MM BP; NEW REPLICA; MACHINED AND SILVER
Condition: New

It seems they also offer them Chromed and in a Polished finish which I don't think I have seen before.

But really the reason I made this post is because they also seem to have another option for the standard wheel just like the ones I purchased and these ones are different in the description only by having a slightly higher price and a Quality rating....

Action Crash Wheel; Platinum Plus
Click to Enlarge
(Read reviews)
Retail Price:
$211.58Sale Price: $126.98

Quantity:

(>12) In Stock

Part Number: 5954-04030426
Notes: ALLOY WHEEL; 17 X 6.5; 5 SPOKES; 5 LUG; 115MM BP; MACHINED WITH SILVER
Quality: Platinum Plus
Condition: New

Shipping Options:
Ground

Only one way to tell the difference lol.

I ordered new center caps , I'm sure I'll buy 2 more new wheels soon, maybe I'll buy these other standard units and also post and share what I find out.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a set of these replica wheels on ebay. I put a set of Michelin Primacy tires on them, had a wheel alignment, and have driven the car for about 12,000 miles since. I like the way the car handles. Traction is improved and braking performance feels better. My only complaint is that the wheels seem to be corroding slightly in the unmachined areas.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich
So you're telling me they are about the same quality as XXR, Rota, Drag, Konig, Varrstoen, and Vossen?
Old 07-17-2015, 03:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by tlacurawhite
Horrible experience's at Firestone. They actually blamed the new wheels so I went back to Discount tire to have them run tests on the wheel versus the tire. The Culprit? The new wheels from Parts Geek are fine and NOT an issue. The Primewell Tires from Firestone , well, 1 of them is defective.

The bad news is after going back to Firestone with having beyond a doubt and having been shown by the Tire tech at discount tire the lateral run-out and defect in the new tire, Firestone simply AGAIN denied any defect in the tire. Unbelievable business practice at Firestone. Discount tire doesn't carry this line of tires and is STILL going to help me get some warranty out of it, even though they did not sell me the tires. Unreal.

Oh and to top it all off , Firestone actually "lost" one of my center caps on the second visit.
Return and demand Firestone replace the cap. Brand new in wrapping. Fuck Firestone. Discount Tires all day. I only ever went there when I had the integra. My buddy works there now. I always got great service before but now it is even better as I can text my tire guy. hahaha My buddy works for Americas Tires but Americas Tires and Discount Tires I guess are the same company or owned by the same parent company. Found that out when I told my buddy I found tires of Discount Tires.com and wanted to see if he could match. He laughed at me and said "Dude Americas Tires IS Discount Tires!"