Vibration upon acceleration, Need Help! **2nd gen TL Type S**

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibration upon acceleration, Need Help! **2nd gen TL Type S**

Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me pinpoint the problem I'm having with my 02 TL type S. I just recently had my transmission rebuilt and lowered the ride height about 2.5" in the front and 2.25" in the rear and is now about a one finger gap all around. There is no tire rub whats so ever. I am getting a vibration every time I accelerate at any speed. Depending on level of rpm the vibration strongly progress. I had the already realigned the car after the drop and have also re balanced the tires on them. I'm thinking it might be the CV axles, but I had them replaced about 33k miles ago and was still running smooth still. Would a drop that significant really destroy the axles in a matter of a day (only drove about 20 miles from shop to home). Or, can it be the transmission? I test drove the car right after the transmission work was complete; its ran smooth. Only until, now after I picked it up i started to notice the vibration. Please if anyone has come across this similar issue and possibly know what I should do, please let me know.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bscc0808
Hello everyone,

I was hoping someone may be able to help me pinpoint the problem I'm having with my 02 TL type S. I just recently had my transmission rebuilt and lowered the ride height about 2.5" in the front and 2.25" in the rear and is now about a one finger gap all around. There is no tire rub whats so ever. I am getting a vibration every time I accelerate at any speed. Depending on level of rpm the vibration strongly progress. I had the already realigned the car after the drop and have also re balanced the tires on them. I'm thinking it might be the CV axles, but I had them replaced about 33k miles ago and was still running smooth still. Would a drop that significant really destroy the axles in a matter of a day (only drove about 20 miles from shop to home). Or, can it be the transmission? I test drove the car right after the transmission work was complete; its ran smooth. Only until, now after I picked it up i started to notice the vibration. Please if anyone has come across this similar issue and possibly know what I should do, please let me know.
From experience with my 06 Accord and all cars i have had in the past if you drop it lower than 2 inches the axles will vibrate. I adjusted my coilovers on the accord just to test that theory and sure enough soon as i got to the correct height for that car that vibration stopped. Its just one of those things. Its your axles.
The following users liked this post:
bscc0808 (03-11-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:45 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are some good quality axles? I have heard of the ones from Raxles, but I just got quoted from Raxles and its 299 each side before taxes and shipping cost. Any other suggestions?
Old 03-14-2016, 07:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bscc0808
What are some good quality axles? I have heard of the ones from Raxles, but I just got quoted from Raxles and its 299 each side before taxes and shipping cost. Any other suggestions?
When i replaced mine i ordered them directly from Honda. The reason being is when i got them from other auto part stores and online it never worked. My accord was the 6-6 so it needed axles for a 6-6 but everything kept saying that all fit and that wasn't true. It took some trial and error to figure that out. Finally i just bit the bullet and got some from Honda and it worked. Now on the TL i don't think that's a issue so you might can find some anywhere that will work. But i am unsure of brands. Sorry.