Bilsteins on second gen TLS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Bilsteins on second gen TLS?

Bilstein Struts on a 2003 TL-S? I have fell in luv with the ride of these shocks. And I've heard guys, I thought on this forum, that koni yellows and Bilstein are the cream of the crop. I describe the ride as a very comfortable, sport shock. Like if you wanted both street performance and comfort, the B8 sport fit the bill and I would say that is the order of my priorities. Comfort first, but want a shock to be able to handle my occasional psycho jaunts on the back roads. I have 200k on my OEM suspension, so I'm due for the works and will probably just keep my original springs, as I'm not into the low ride, however, I would not mind if it sat an inch or 2 lower at the max. I plan on keeping this car till the wheels fall off.

But my real question is? Doesn't the 2003 Acura TL-S and the CL-S share the same suspension? Dimension wise? I've looked at this a bit and many after market shocks offered are the same on both the CLS & TLS. Bilstein only provides options for the CLS. I posed this question to TireRack, which in turn asked Bilstein and got this safe, vanilla, crap of an answer.

"
We went to Bilstein for an answer and received a their response. They say they "cannot approve the application of this product on the TL." They did not give any insight as to their reasoning. It may be that they would physically fit, but that the damping rate is not considered good for that vehicle. That's just a guess based on the fact that other brands cross-list the two vehicles. "

I took this is as, commercial bullshit and short for, no warranty. It sounded like the question went straight to legal and not engineering. Will these fit on the TL-S? Does anyone run bilsteins on a second gen TL? I plan on putting whatever struts I get on at a friends garage anyway, but don't want to do something that is not going to work in the long run. What is the downside? besides no warranty? The Koni yellows sound like they might not give me the comfort I'm looking for and alot of the others sound like they don't last that long. (I'm having 2 level acdf surgery on Monday, so I gotta tone it down for a while)
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Yes, the bilstein work just fine on the TL. And i dont know where you heard that the Koni yellows wont give you the comfort you are looking for but that is just plain wrong. When adjusted correctly/to your liking it will ride better than stock. I have mine dropped on H&R sport springs and on the lower perch and the car still rides every bit as good as stock. And as for lasting, i have over 300k on mine and they still have a very compliant ride (though ill probably take them off and have them rebuilt this winter)
The following users liked this post:
Buzzman996 (10-10-2015)