transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
transmission flush

Ok so my mechanic told me that he uses oem when he does the vacuum flush. I understand to never do a flush but supposedly this flush is ok for my Honda/acuras. I did this preciously about 4 yrsago and had no issues. I have a 2002 Acura tls. Now the owner who told me they use Honda fluid wasn't there but the mechanics that have been servicing my car for years were there to perform the service. When I went home I noticed they used dexron 3 to fill my car. I've talked to a friend (bosses son) who use to work there and he said they don't have Honda fluid there. I don't really wanna make a huge stink about it but I would like what is supposed to be in there. They say that this dexron 3 is compatible with this trans. If only Honda fluid is supposed to be put in, why is dexron 3 say it's compatible. It should say only use Honda atf. I've read a bunch on here and most just say " never use anything other" but never go into detail about it. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it really much of a difference?
Old 05-04-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Pretty sure the right answer is Honda ATF & 3x3 drain/fill. No flush machines.

Surely one of the more knowledgeable TL gurus will be along to expound more details.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Would you just be going on what you have read or do u have a reason to not use a flush machine? I can't understand if you are taking out and filling at the same time then why would thisbe the wrong way? There are people on here that give merit to the vac flush way as well as the 3x3 way which I plan on doing (1x3) at least once a year if not every 6 months.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts

Always use Honda ATF-Z1

(Automatic Transmission Fluid). If

it is not available, you may use a

DEXRON III automatic

transmission fluid as a temporary

replacement. However, continued

use can affect shift quality. Have

the transmission flushed and

refilled with Honda ATF-Z1 as

soon as it is convenient.

To thoroughly flush the

transmission, the technician

should drain and refill it with

Honda ATF-Z1, then drive the

vehicle a short distance. Do this

three times. Then drain and refill

the transmission a final time.

From the manual except Honda DW-1 is the one we use these days.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:26 PM
Safety Car

Register your car with myacura.com and get a free manual including all info and recalls on your vehicle. It`s free and they don`t bother you by sending you ads.

Last edited by Nicks2001tl; 05-04-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Received 5,293 Likes on 3,627 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Hinchey
Would you just be going on what you have read or do u have a reason to not use a flush machine? I can't understand if you are taking out and filling at the same time then why would thisbe the wrong way? There are people on here that give merit to the vac flush way as well as the 3x3 way which I plan on doing (1x3) at least once a year if not every 6 months.
Just based on the guidance of those on here that are very knowledgeable on the TL, included a user with over 600k on his.
The following users liked this post:
Michael Hinchey (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 02:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Register your car with myacura.com and get a free manual including all info and recalls on your vehicle. It`s free and they don`t bother you by sending you ads.
I have a manual and I am registered. I know they say use only honda oem but ngk also says dont use antiseize on the spark plug but many people swear to never install them without one.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
The theory behind 3×3 exchanges is it does not stir up sediments in the trans which could overwhelm the filters and/or clog up the small passages in the valve body and solenoids/switches, etc Once that happens the trans will implode from lack of trans fluid to shift gears, lubricate parts, cool the trans, burnt clutches, etc.

That's why flushing is considered a big no no. Some peeps have had success with flushes but as a general rule it's not worth the risk considering the cost of a replacement trans and the associated inconvenience of the car being down. When there is alternative methods to flushing.

Z1atf have been superseded by DW1. DW1 OEM fluild is a safe bet when deciding which atf to use.

Dex III is recommended by acura as a temporary alternative to DW1. However, Dex III have also been superseded with Dex VI and there are full synthetic Dex Dex VI available.

Dex atf is recommended by acura probably bc DW1 is not always available when need in an emergency or not every auto parts store will carry DW1 but Dex atf will be available at pretty much all parts stores.

According to acura Dex atf can be use temporarily but far as I can tell it should not damage the trans. Acura states using Dex could affect the shifting quality of the trans. It does not say it will damage the trans.

Personally I wouldn't be afraid of using the full synthetic Dex VI atf in my car. Dex atf are use in many cars and makes. Such as GM, Toy, BMW, Mazda. A trans is a trans. They all have metal, rubber, plastic, aluminum, clutches, etc.

BTW, 3x3 is not enough to save the acura trans in the long run. In my opinion and experience 100% atf exchange is a better alternative to the 3×3 (about 80% atf change if you're lucky) bc it should eliminate almost all of the debris from the trans.

As long as you can change 100% atf or close to it with a low impact method then I think you're in good shape in the long run.

Last edited by 01acls; 05-04-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Instructor

QUOTE=Nicks2001tl;15742992]From the manual except Honda DW-1 is the one we use these days.[/QUOTE]

Trust me, that is how the conversation came up. I asked if they did a 3x3 and they didn't. They told me they use the vacuum fill and replace. I did some research and someone on this very forum along with some others have mentioned this type of flush was ok. So that is what I had them do. I did ask if it was oem Honda fluid and the owner said yes. I could swear he said it. However, you know they will say they didn't. I follow this guideline: 3 people you never f with...Your doctor, your lawyer , and your auto mechanic. There are a fee others but you catch my drift.
So u think I can get by with this for six months and then start doing the (1x3) every 6 months? I just dont want to start a stink if i dont have to. Is there a conditioner that i can put in to compensate? Thx for the replies
Old 05-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01acls
The theory behind 3×3 exchanges is it does not stir up sediments in the trans which could overwhelm the filters and/or clog up the small passages in the valve body and solenoids/switches, etc Once that happens the trans will implode from lack

Personally I wouldn't be afraid of using the full synthetic Dex VI atf in my car. Dex atf are use in many cars and makes. Such as GM, Toy, BMW, Mazda. A trans is a trans. They all have metal, rubber, plastic, aluminum, clutches, etc.

BTW, 3x3 is not enough to save the acura trans in the long run. In my opinion and experience 100% atf exchange is a better alternative to the 3×3 (about 80% atf chage) bc it should eliminate almost all of the debris from the trans.

As long as you can change 100% atf or close to it with a low impact method then I think you're in god shape in the long run.
Thank you for chiming in. The back story of the 3*3 makes sense.
What I don't understand is what is a low impact method of exchange?
Do they make a conditioner i can get by with the dexron 3 or do u recommend I have them flush the old stuff and put in Honda z1 or dw1?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:30 PM
Drifting

Low impact would be any method that does not force the atf through the trans.

If I was you I would just drive and monitor the trans and slowly change the fluid back to DW1 along with every engine oil change. However, if you notice anything unusual at all I would consider doing a 3x3 with DW1 immediately.

If it's working good with Dex III, as an alternative you might consider Dex VI full synthetic instead of DW1.

I wouldn't change it back to DW1 just for the sake of it. Especially if it working fine.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Low impact would be any method that does not force the atf through the trans.

If I was you I would just drive and monitor the trans and slowly change the fluid back to DW1 along with every engine oil change. However, if you notice anything unusual at all I would consider doing a 3x3 with DW1 immediately.

If it's working good with Dex III, as an alternative you might consider Dex Vll synthetic instead of DW1.

I wouldn't change it back to DW1 just for the sake of it. Especially if it working fine.
I had the dexron 3 put in about 40000 miles ago and it seemed fine then. Would I notice an immediate problem? What are thinking gs to look out for. If it is long term wear that is an issue with not putting the correct atf in then I kind of want to ask them to put in the Honda dw1. But if your saying i could be fine then i dont want to bother with it. Is there a conditioner that i can purchase to supplement not having dw1 in there?
Old 05-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Crazy thing about my Acura is that there was spark plugs that Ijust cchanged that were for the base model and nkg said they are surprised I didn't notice problems. I installed correct spark plugs now. Not oem but nkg iridium 6447. My friend installed platinum in there. I don't know if it will make a difference but I'm glad I learned thru here how to do it myself to install correct ones.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Instructor

Think Amazon got this one wrong!!!
Old 05-04-2016, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

^^Because it says Honda on there.^^ $8.95 at local Honda store and cheaper if you buy a 12 quart case.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Also difference between iridiums and platinum is you get, I believe, 20,000 more miles from the iridiums.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 PM
"Inherited" 1999 TL

Lots of Honda/Acura auto owners swear by Valvoline Max Life DEC/MERC. I have it in mine (4spd auto) having done a 3x3 about 5000 miles ago. Shifts are definitely crisper than before but I think this is the first time (in 100K miles) the poor car has had the tranny fluid changed. I also put in NGK Iridiums, worth it since I'll never have to change the spark plugs again for this vehicle.

Last edited by MiddleAgeCrisis; 05-04-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Drifting

I had the dexron 3 put in about 40000 miles ago and it seemed fine then. Would I notice an immediate problem? What are thinking gs to look out for. If it is long term wear that is an issue with not putting the correct atf in then I kind of want to ask them to put in the Honda dw1. But if your saying i could be fine then i dont want to bother with it. Is there a conditioner that i can purchase to supplement not having dw1 in there?
If you've gone 40k miles on Dex III already then what are you worried about? I would just keep on going but switch over to the Dex VI full synthetic. That's a better atf.

I don't know anything about additives so not going there. Some peeps swear by them so just do a search.

As far as symptoms goes it doesn't matter what atf you are using. As long as the trans acts up you need to nip it in the bud before it gains traction or start the snow ball effect.

Best way to keep that at bay is 100% atf change every 30-40k miles or so along with the AT external filter change. If you keep the trans clean including the torque converter then that's your best shot at keeping the trans blues at bay.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Instructor

If you've gone 40k miles on Dex III already then what are you worried about? I would just keep on going but switch over to the Dex VI full synthetic. That's a better atf.

I don't know anything about additives so not going there. Some peeps swear by them so just do a search.

As far as symptoms goes it doesn't matter what atf you are using. As long as the trans acts up you need to nip it in the bud before it gains traction or start the snow ball effect.

Best way to keep that at bay is 100% atf change every 30-40k miles or so along with the AT external filter change. If you keep the trans clean including the torque converter then that's your best shot at keeping the trans blues at bay.
No no. I said my last tranny fluid change was about 40-50,000 miles ago. I recently got it changed and they put in new dex 3 fluid. It seemed to run fine for all of those 40000 miles from before and it seems to run fine now but only have driven it around 50 miles or so
I didn't see an external filter on the trans and neither did my mechanic. Was this supposed to be put on all TLS because of the trans recall? I know the trans was replaced at around 50000 miles.
Shifts great and feels smooth. I also changed out the plugs and engine filter too

I didn't know about the torque converter being cleaned

Is there a diy?

I am next getting the brakes flushed. I never knew anything about this. How about the differential fluid? When does this need to be done? I'm sure it has never been replaced.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:54 PM
Safety Car

Differential fluid does not get changed out its sealed.

The brake fluid has a certain order in which it gets changed. Start with the drivers side tire LF RF RR LR. Make sure the master cylinder doesn`t run out of fluid. Fill as needed.

If you have a harbor freight near you get a brake bleeder kit, makes the job a whole lot easier.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Instructor

Differential fluid does not get changed out its sealed.

The brake fluid has a certain order in which it gets changed. Start with the drivers side tire LF RF RR LR. Make sure the master cylinder doesn`t run out of fluid. Fill as needed.

If you have a harbor freight near you get a brake bleeder kit, makes the job a whole lot easier.
Thank you. Good to know about the differential fluid. I am going to get the brakes done at a shop unless i can convince one of my friends to help me bleed them . I believe this is a two man job right? What brake fluid should i make sure they put in? Dot 4 is what i read. True?
Is there a day on here about break fluid change. I've owned it for 7 yrs and it has never been changed. I'm sure it looks angry. Thx for all your input.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Safety Car

Dot 4. Yes.

With the brake bleeder pump it`s a one person job. Crack the bleeder screw and use the pump until you get new fluid, then on to the next tire.

Don`t be scared with what comes out it`s probably pretty ugly fluid.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

This
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Instructor

I think i will tackle this next week. Seems easy enough. Can I lift one side of the car and do one tire at a time as long as I start with drivers side front. Basically take one tire off at a time?
Old 05-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Safety Car

^yes^
The following users liked this post:
Michael Hinchey (05-06-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 10:37 AM
Drifting

The trans filter is at the end of the transmission next to the left frame rail.

Torque converter

If your car is shifting fine then your torque converter is working fine.

See the link below on torque converter purging.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ission-943471/
Old 05-07-2016, 02:12 PM
Instructor

The trans filter is at the end of the transmission next to the left frame rail.

IM assuming not all acuras received the filter?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:20 PM
Drifting

IIRC all 2g 5 speed trans have it, not an option.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Instructor

I just called Acura of Ardmore pa to get a price to change out the external filter and they said they have never done that on a 2g Acura. I even asked if they could do it and they said no. What do u say to that!! wtf
Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 PM
Instructor

What is the best tool and size to remove bleeder valve for brakes?
Old 05-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Drifting

Last edited by 01acls; 05-07-2016 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:20 PM
Instructor

I found the external trans filter. I already bought the filter part so I will do this after I bleed the brakes. I went to acura and bought brake fluid and 9 quarts of dw-1 to start switching out the trans fluid back to Honda standard. I'm assuming to change the filter after I change all the fluid back.
I watched the video and planned on doing this myself. I just wanted to see how much I was saving. My other mechanic said they get paid 1 hour to do the ext trans filter so that would be 100 bucks.. Just odd that Acura service rep said they don't change out the filter because it doesn't need to be changed out. I was like huh? lol

Now for the brake valve? Any clue on size. One video the guy had listed the 10mm but in the description he had for tls 11mm. Is this called a line wrench or???
THX for all your responses. Ive already saved tons of money doing things on my own.
Old 08-13-2016, 01:58 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flushes

what are 3x3 flushes
Old 08-13-2016, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TrUcOvErDuGo
what are 3x3 flushes
taking out 3 quarts and filling it 3 times approx 10 miles or so apart or you can just go through all the gears. Hope that helps
Old 08-13-2016, 11:56 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ok so my mechanic told me that he uses oem when he does the vacuum flush. I understand to never do a flush but supposedly this flush is ok for my Honda/acuras. I did this preciously about 4 yrsago and had no issues. I have a 2002 Acura tls. Now the owner who told me they use Honda fluid wasn't there but the mechanics that have been servicing my car for years were there to perform the service. When I went home I noticed they used dexron 3 to fill my car. I've talked to a friend (bosses son) who use to work there and he said they don't have Honda fluid there. I don't really wanna make a huge stink about it but I would like what is supposed to be in there. They say that this dexron 3 is compatible with this trans. If only Honda fluid is supposed to be put in, why is dexron 3 say it's compatible. It should say only use Honda atf. I've read a bunch on here and most just say " never use anything other" but never go into detail about it. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is it really much of a difference?
Its even stated in the manuel that dex 3 would cause hard slipping. People on here say u should only use oem and i agree. But i have been using castrol import fluid for about 1,000 miles and its ok. But im gonna soon be doing a 3X3 with oem honda fluid. And you got that ferosious 5 speed! You should really be careful, mines is a 99. Also clean the solenoids too when you change fluids. It worked wonders for me.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From the manual except Honda DW-1 is the one we use these days.
I think its funny that everyone says to do drain and fill 3 times, but this procedure actually calls for 4 drain and fills. It says do it 3 times, then drain and fill it.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by murky
I think its funny that everyone says to do drain and fill 3 times, but this procedure actually calls for 4 drain and fills. It says do it 3 times, then drain and fill it.
Yup, it's actually a 3x4
Old 01-23-2017, 06:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by murky
Lol, watch it buddy not everyone. I avocated 100% ATF exchange.

Reference Posts #8 & 18.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Lol, watch it buddy not everyone. I avocated 100% ATF exchange.

Reference Posts #8 & 18.

Are you talking about draining from ATF cooler line? If not please elaborate . . . how do you replace 100% or even 95% of ATF without going vacuum fill?
If you do 3x4 drain & fill, it'll come pretty close to 90%, IMO.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sparky16
Are you talking about draining from ATF cooler line? If not please elaborate . . . how do you replace 100% or even 95% of ATF without going vacuum fill?
If you do 3x4 drain & fill, it'll come pretty close to 90%, IMO.

See the link below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...71/?styleid=13

Update

Updates are based on positive personal experiences.

1. You may use Valvoline Max Life full synthetic in lieu of DW1.

2. XADO 120 EX, trans reconditioner.
​​
3. Mityvac 7400 fluild excavator. Change the power train fluilds (oil and ATF) through the dip stick of the engine bay in lieu of the traditional dump n fill- drain plug (under the car).

Last edited by 01acls; 09-29-2019 at 08:48 PM.