Tranny Failure Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I didn't notice a difference in shifting following my transmission replacement 15 months ago. Maybe a little bit more firm. Although a week to replace the transmission? I would have said have the new one overnighted and you'd have your car back in 2-3 days, not a whole week. My dealership usually had 4 transmissions instock. I didn't realize dealerships had to wait a week to get this done.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THe delaership said it will take three days to replace, but I can't get back down to the dealership until Saturday so I get the 04 TSX until then.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Nope!

y you think not? I think I'm going to contact a lawyer to see.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Advanced

i have had 3 trannies in my car....unfortunately i can not get it to be "Lemoned" because i did not purchase the vehicle new...-=(***.... ne who.... i am on my 3rd tranny at 89k miles on my 02 TL-S....my question is... this is a reoccuring issue...the history on my car is the tranny has been replaced at 32k, 58k, and now 88k.. i am afraid since this issue is reoccuring and seems to happen every 20k-30k miles or so, that my tranny will go out around 110kish in which will be a VERY expensive replacement... do you think there is anyway i can get Acura to warranty this "NEW" tranny until then? because to my knowledge its only to 100k and thats it.

btw i drive around a lot...so getting to 110k wont be too hard for me....
Old 01-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Cruiser

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by htownaccord
i have had 3 trannies in my car....unfortunately i can not get it to be "Lemoned" because i did not purchase the vehicle new...-=(***.... ne who.... i am on my 3rd tranny at 89k miles on my 02 TL-S....my question is... this is a reoccuring issue...the history on my car is the tranny has been replaced at 32k, 58k, and now 88k.. i am afraid since this issue is reoccuring and seems to happen every 20k-30k miles or so, that my tranny will go out around 110kish in which will be a VERY expensive replacement... do you think there is anyway i can get Acura to warranty this "NEW" tranny until then? because to my knowledge its only to 100k and thats it.

btw i drive around a lot...so getting to 110k wont be too hard for me....
getting my 3rd one at 132k. talked with the serive guy today and asked him if this thing goes out again at 170k will acura cover it and he said mostlikely, but how much can you trust them. I think I still may contact a lawyer.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM
Intermediate

Is My Tranny Goin?

'99 TL 134k

Yesterday i was parked in a spot that was on a decline and had to reverse up-
hill. To clear both cars on the side i reversed out and went back in, when i did this i stopped completely and put the car in reverse and let go of the brake. The car ended up rolling forward and then a loud (clunk) noise, which shot the car back out of the spot. After leaving the spot my TCS and check engine light came on. Has anyone had this happen
Old 01-21-2005, 09:02 PM
Instructor

Acura only THINKS they are a "Luxury Division" they do NOTHING to prove it. We are all suckers for buying these POS's. I feel your pain after two transmissions, 3 sets of brakes and 5 navigation systems.

Originally Posted by scottiew
I hope no one flames me for this but I'll give you my honest opinion and feelings. My overall experience has been shitty.

I took it to the dealer on Saturday. My roommate followed me. The guy said "we don't have anymore loaners, we might have some Monday -- I'll know by tonight". That was it, no other options. Pretty much go home with your roommate. So I told him I'd call him Monday morning.

Called Monday morning "we might have some by this afternoon". At that point I was fuming. So how was I supposed to go to work? My friend with a $10k Hyundai got a rental without asking when he took his car into service. The service guy never even offered nor hinted an offer. This is partly what pissed me off.

So I call back and talk to him respectfully but firmly. Finally he said they'd get me a rental. So I said fine. I got a ride over there and got the rental. NOw the rental is lower than any Honda I know of. That's fine -- I'm not bitching about that (roll down windows, manual locks), just glad I'm driving a car with a transmission that works. I do think they should've at least tried to match Acura since they are a "luxury car" dealer. Hell Cadillac has better service than that.

Anyhow, after the guy left me with the rental lady I asked her if they had a lot of warranty rentals. She said "we've had a few". So basically the guy tried to give me runaround and never offered a rental until I fussed a little. That's what pissed me off. Was he tried to take advantage of my age? I don't know. Needless to say I called Acura Corporate to let them know the situation and they sent a letter to the dealer. I got a call back from the service manager and he was all apologetic. I told him I'd keep all of my experience (mostly bad) in mind when I decide between the MDX and a RX 330. Left him something to think about.

The lady at Acura Corporate said the dealer isn't required to give a loaner. Great. But other dealers here do. Hell my friend took his Honda he bought used at an Inifniti dealer (low milage mind you) to the Honda dealership (consquently owned by the same person as the Acura dealership) and got a loaner. So they are treating their Honda customers better than their Acura customers. I'm not griping that Honda customers should be treated anyless; if anything, both should be treated the same.

Now some may say I'm lucky to get a rental but that's standard customer service here in the Houston market. Lexus would not let you go w/out a loaner. Bottom line is it was shitty customer service. The guy should've offered a rental because obviously they've given warranty rentals to other customers. He tried to stiff me and I called him on it. This happened when I got the oil jet kit too. Sat there for 5 hours.

If you have crappy service it doesn't hurt to call Acura Customer Service.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:36 PM
2nd Gear

2002 TL-S (rpm spikes)

I have a 2002 TL-S and my car has been "sputtering" since 20K miles. I now have 46K miles and a replaced transmission and the sputtering continues. The car sputters at all speeds when I am attempting to maintain a constant speed; the RPMs spike up and down and it feels as if the car loses all power. A friend of mine has a 2003 TL-S and has the exact same sputtering problems with his car. Acura gave him a new transmission as well.

Acura has told me there is nothing wrong with my car and has even told me that I will not get a loaner car if I take my car in again to have the sputtering problem examined.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus

Originally Posted by jbs221
Acura only THINKS they are a "Luxury Division" they do NOTHING to prove it. We are all suckers for buying these POS's. I feel your pain after two transmissions, 3 sets of brakes and 5 navigation systems.
Yeah Lexus looks better everyday
Old 01-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Just brought mine in today for slippage (no indicator light) at 89K. Was told the tranny was of course bad and they could order a replacement and have it in next day and installed the same day.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yup...mine just went into the dealer yesterday, and I got a phone call 2 hours later saying the new tranny is being ordered, and should be installed by tomorrow...finally acura admitted to me that there was a problem with the tranny.

Does anyone here think it's normal that everytime the car would upshift from 3rd to 4th gear, the RPM's would shoot up an additional 1000 RPM's before shifting into 4th???

Once I mentioned this issue to acura, they admitted that it "wasn't normal" and so I should have the new tranny by tomorrow.

They also may have to replace a lot of the steering components since it sounds like a "K" car when I would turn left or right...bottom line, this car is falling apart...

This is my 2nd and last acura for good...
Old 01-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sc354
Yup...mine just went into the dealer yesterday, and I got a phone call 2 hours later saying the new tranny is being ordered, and should be installed by tomorrow...finally acura admitted to me that there was a problem with the tranny.

Does anyone here think it's normal that everytime the car would upshift from 3rd to 4th gear, the RPM's would shoot up an additional 1000 RPM's before shifting into 4th???

Once I mentioned this issue to acura, they admitted that it "wasn't normal" and so I should have the new tranny by tomorrow.

They also may have to replace a lot of the steering components since it sounds like a "K" car when I would turn left or right...bottom line, this car is falling apart...

This is my 2nd and last acura for good...
Man that sucks
Old 01-27-2005, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Smile tranny

So far so good on my 2002 tl-s ( agean blue pearl) . Had my dealer (motorcars acura/bedford) install the kit. Car runs ok normal Motorcars has been very good to me. Hope I am one of the lucky ones,as for the car i would drive anything else. Baby it (a lot) do use the slap-shift every once in a while.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:29 AM
The "old" guy

Originally Posted by rozslvk
So far so good on my 2002 tl-s ( agean blue pearl) . Had my dealer (motorcars acura/bedford) install the kit. Car runs ok normal Motorcars has been very good to me. Hope I am one of the lucky ones,as for the car i would drive anything else. Baby it (a lot) do use the slap-shift every once in a while.
Mine went in yesterday for the recall (2002 TL-S, 48K miles) and putting on the comptech icebox. My tranny has been fine for the most part. About a year ago I had 3 instances of it not wanting to shift out of first gear but since then, no problems. They are checking it today......free loaner from Enterprise (2005 Grand Prix). My dealer here in Indy has treated me very well (Ed Martin Acura) and I still love my car.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

Question - when Acura replaces the transmission, do they replace it with a "new and improved" transmission that FIXES the problems, or do they replace it a transmission that is prone to the same problems found in the original transmission?

It seems like they would find and fix the problems and provide better replacement transmissions. Other than the transmission issue, I would buy a 2002 TL-S in a heart beat, but because I like to keep cars for a long time, I'm hesitant to buy one and be exposed to expensive transmission replacements after the car reaches 7 years / 100k miles.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:20 PM
The "old" guy

Originally Posted by JR_NoVA
Question - when Acura replaces the transmission, do they replace it with a "new and improved" transmission that FIXES the problems, or do they replace it a transmission that is prone to the same problems found in the original transmission?

It seems like they would find and fix the problems and provide better replacement transmissions. Other than the transmission issue, I would buy a 2002 TL-S in a heart beat, but because I like to keep cars for a long time, I'm hesitant to buy one and be exposed to expensive transmission replacements after the car reaches 7 years / 100k miles.
New/Improved. By the way, mine passed the inspection and Im going to pick it up shortly. I wouldnt hesitate to buy another TL-S as my experience has been very good overall.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:53 PM
yo

I never noticed anything wrong with my transmission. Then i got a notice of recall in the mail for my 03 TL-S right around 23k, so i took it in and they changed the transmission because they noticed grinding in the gears took place. I figured i'd notice it since i'm very keen to all noises my car makes. They also changed my oil for free, which was nice of them. Then the very next day they fixed it (12-16-04) a girl hit me and the body shop just, TODAY started working on it!

My point is, that you might not even know that you have a problem with your tranny (like weird noises or shifting problems) until one day it's just gone while you're on the way somewhere.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:01 AM
1st Gear

Just got mine back yesterday (Friday). I took it in Tuesday since I had gotten the recall notice and had just started to experience the 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd hang in neutral symptoms.

Mine is a very early 2002 (picked it up March 13th, 2001) with 59,000 on it and no previous tranny problems.

Although they estimated one week, it only took three days. They (Acura of Pleasanton) provided a new TLX as a loaner.

Replacement tranny is clearly identified as a remanufactured unit.

Still love my TL-S!
Old 01-30-2005, 07:28 AM
Cruisin'

On the verge of buying an 03 TL-S.

Test drove an 03 TL-S yesterday - WOW !!! What a car! I was as excited as the day I bought my 1990 Integra - which I am still driving - and enjoying!

I see what all the fuss is about. I liked the Infiniti I35 I test drove last but week, but the TL is the HANDS DOWN WINNER!, tranny issues and all. And as much as I like the new styling in the 04/05, this is a GREAT looking car!

Also, I spoke to an Acura technician who said that the rebuilt trannys they put in now have reused casings, but that all the inner workings are new, and that the guts of the transmission have been "improved" to resolve the problems and supposedly the replacements do NOT have the same problems that the original trannys had. This put my mind at ease.

So, today I will look at an 03, TL-S, with Nav, with 51k miles. The dealer is asking for $22970, so we'll see.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:54 AM
2nd Gear

Don't buy the 2003 TLS

The biggest mistake I ever made with car purchases was buying my 2002 TLS. I have had numerous headaches with my car and the replaced transmission has not resolved all of my transmission issues. Why buy a car that has known problems; go buy a car that has no known problems.

That is my advice...
Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 AM
The "old" guy

Originally Posted by jono
....... and the replaced transmission has not resolved all of my transmission issues.......
That is my advice...
So why not take the car back into the dealer?
Old 01-31-2005, 12:44 PM
TLs on 19s

Im on tranny number 3 in less then a year!! and under 20,000 miles Lemon law time!! but damn what do i get now. . im driving an 04 tl as a rental not very impressed. . . and i never cared for the looks. . i was thinking 4 door G35 stick but there pricey. . . and i don't care much for there looks either. . . convertable 350z might be something i look into. . . but seriously under 30,000 used and 03 and newer with under 25,000 miles!! what is on the market i can't seem to think of the perfect car yet!!
Old 01-31-2005, 04:19 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Angry Help!

I think the tranny in our TL-P just let go. My wife was on the freeway onramp, and she was merging with traffic. The tach went past 5,000 RPM, then the tranny fell out of gear. The car was now coasting at 25 mph. (kinda scary on the freeway onramp) Wife said she came to a complete stop, and same thing. Car would fall out of gear after 5000RPM. She shifted into park, then back into D, and the car acted normally again.

For the rest of the day, she was complaining that the car would just fall out of gear while accelerating.

So we call the dealer, (Acura of Portland), and they don't believe that we are having tranny problems because Acura's don't do that. WTF? To add insult to injury, they are unaware of Acura extending the warranty to 100,000 miles on the tranny. Thank god we bought the extended warranty when we got the car, but this is rediculous!

Should I print out some pages from this thread or something? Will that help my case at all? I don't want to end up being told that I have to pay for the repairs myself. (Is this the same problem all you guys are experiencing, as far as symptoms? I read most of the threads before, but I don't remember a lot of them being specific, as they usually just said their tranny broke.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 04:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by avs007

Should I print out some pages from this thread or something? Will that help my case at all? I don't want to end up being told that I have to pay for the repairs myself. (Is this the same problem all you guys are experiencing, as far as symptoms? I read most of the threads before, but I don't remember a lot of them being specific, as they usually just said their tranny broke.

Thanks

First, it is absolutely ridiculous that they would say "Acura's don't have transmission problems." That's why they recalled it right???

Second, print this out... it is direclty from Honda: http://hondanews.com/CatID0000?mid=2...28798&mime=asc

Third, yes you are having transmission problems and your transmission needs to be replaced. What year is your TL?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

They say that only 2% of transmissions are affected, but these transmissions are installed in over 1.2 million cars. 2% of 1.2 million is still 24,000 transmissions
Old 01-31-2005, 05:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrsteve
First, it is absolutely ridiculous that they would say "Acura's don't have transmission problems." That's why they recalled it right???

Second, print this out... it is direclty from Honda: http://hondanews.com/CatID0000?mid=2...28798&mime=asc

Third, yes you are having transmission problems and your transmission needs to be replaced. What year is your TL?
Thanks for the links
It's an 03' TL-P
Old 01-31-2005, 07:01 PM
Team Owner

Thanks for the links
It's an 03' TL-P

You're welcome, good luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:37 PM
Intermediate

Im now officially apart of the tranny replacement team.. hah

1 new tranny - here i come.

mr_min
Old 02-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Cruisin'

Well, congratulations (or condolences depending on your point of view ?) are in order -- despite all the tranny warnings, I bought a 2003 TL-S on Sunday.

Wow - what a great car!!

I know I'm in the High Risk Tranny Club , so I'm just gonna have some fun with it in the mean time, and if it breaks before 100k miles, Honda as stepped up, and I'll just let them replace it for me.

Somebody told me the trannys are made by none other than General Motors - go figure they stink!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Somebody told me the trannys are made by none other than General Motors - go figure they stink!
Yes I think they are but regardless, not all transmissions are made the same. For instance, both the Chevy Z06 and the Dodge Viper have T-56 transmissions but they are built differently. The Viper is heavier duty and can handle a lot more HP.

I'm not aware of a consistant GM transmission problem like Acuras. Maybe I haven't looked hard enough
Old 02-01-2005, 11:43 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps this is not what you meant, but the fact that GM built the transmission is irrelevant. GM, or any other manufacturer, builds the component to the customers specifications. If the failures are caused by a design problem, which seems to be the current belief, then Acura/Honda is to blame, not GM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:33 PM
You can turbo anything

Hey guys, just got my 99 TL back from the dealer with a new tranny. They completely warrantied it out, with 102,000 miles. I guess it is all about which dealer you go to as to whether they help you out or not. They not only did that, but they gave me a new TL loaner car. I must say that was a sweet ride. Just a heads up for any Atlanta TL'ers. I went to the Marietta Nalley Acura. Talk to Al in service, great guy.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MikePA
Perhaps this is not what you meant, but the fact that GM built the transmission is irrelevant. GM, or any other manufacturer, builds the component to the customers specifications. If the failures are caused by a design problem, which seems to be the current belief, then Acura/Honda is to blame, not GM.
Actually GM doesn't make any 5 speed automatic transaxles. Their 5 speed automatics are RWD transmissions, which BMW and a few others use.

GM's auto transaxle is a 4 speed, but they are working on a 6 speed, that is due out late this year.

They used to publish a list of who uses their transmissions, but they don't anymore. But it still lists all their trannies.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Drifting

I also just got back from the dealer, from dropping my car off. Amazing how much nicer they are dealing with me, versus when my wife called them yesterday. My wife called yesterday cause I was in meetings all day. They gave her the run-around, and said they've never heard of any problems, the warranty extension, etc.

When I came in, the first thing they asked me was, "Have we replaced your transmission yet?"

They explained that this was a more common problem that they'd like it to be. Said they'll most likely have to order/install a new tranny. I brought my proof of extended warranty, but he said that Acura will foot the bill on all these trannies, as long as you have <100,000 miles.

I ended up with a Ford Explorer rental. Not too bad, but with all the body damage on it, it sure looks like nobody knows how to park it.

From what I gathered from the service people's attitude/reaction,it seems like they know that they will just be installing another faulty transmission. Since they know the replacement will fail (from the "yet" comment), what am I supposed to do when this new tranny fails if I'm past 100,000 miles?
Old 02-01-2005, 03:35 PM
Team Owner

I have heard many stories of transmissions being replaced beyond 100k miles as a "good will" jesture by Acura.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:18 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 481 Likes on 223 Posts
Angry

Man - I can't believe this is still going on. I remember when people here would bash the guys who were having 02 TL tranny problems as "people who were driving the car too hard!"

What a bad mark on a great car!
Old 02-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
what am I supposed to do when this new tranny fails if I'm past 100,000 miles?
You do know that the replacement tranny has a 3 yr/36K warranty that starts the day it was replaced, right?
If your tranny died closer to the 100K mark, like mine did (89K), this warranty works to your advantage.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Severin
You do know that the replacement tranny has a 3 yr/36K warranty that starts the day it was replaced, right?
If your tranny died closer to the 100K mark, like mine did (89K), this warranty works to your advantage.
I actually wasn't aware of that... Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Severin

Incorrect. The transmission has a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
no wonder they stink???? GM makes some of the best and strongest trannies on the planet.

Quick Reply: Tranny Failure Thread