Radio Code doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:25 PM
TL-S driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darn it! I was hoping the antenna trick would work but unfortunately it didn't. Cut my fingers getting back there and pulled out the cable and tried the code again but nothing. I guess I have to call the dealership
Old 05-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
the dealer will say they have to remove the radio and get the serial number off it so they can run it thru the computor- thats for people who dont know the code
if you have a code and the radio is original to your knowledge- follow the prior direction on remove antenna and replug
The whole system is about anti theft- not allowing code unless antenna connected and everything feels right~
Old 11-09-2008, 06:08 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

I am a new member and thanks to this post, I was able to get my radio/CD working again. I have 2002 TL and after changing the battery I was unable to unlock the radio/CD using the factory supplied anti theft code. I removed the antenna (although it was a challenge to get behind the radio), and was able to unlock the radio/CD.

Thanks again.

Last edited by dadsgrill; 11-09-2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://radio-navicode.honda.com/
Old 11-12-2008, 07:20 PM
5th Gear

Thumbs up Radio Code under lid of fuse box

Thanks guys...I found the serial numbers and codes for both my radio and nav system under the lid of the fuse box under the hood. I bought my car used and it did not have the owners manual, so I bought one off of eBay (there's a whole other topic...people steal the manuals from cars on auction lots and sell them on eBay and Craig's List...huge scam!). My battery was dead this morning, so I replaced it and got the dreaded "Code" on my radio. Naturally, the code in the manual I bought off the internet was not the right one, so I logged into Acurazine.com and voila!
Old 07-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Regional Coordinator (SoCal)

Received 89 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm gonna bring a dead thread back up only cause I'm having this problem now. LacViet, are the four screws located near the cupholders when you take out the side trims? Or are you telling us to take out both side trims and removing 2 screws from the left and 2 screws from the right? That'll equal 4 screws I'll have to remove. I'm kind of confused. =/
Old 07-05-2009, 10:58 AM

Did I remove the right screws? o.o

Old 07-05-2009, 02:02 PM

Is this the connector I need to unplug?

Last edited by xtremex626; 07-05-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:31 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
Your doing all this work to find the radio code? Look under the armrest, coin tray, ash tray, behind the trim or under the fuse box in the hood. The code should be in all of those locations.
The following users liked this post:
Mikki LaCombe (05-26-2020)
Old 07-05-2009, 02:40 PM

I already have the radio code. I'm trying to use LacViet's method, which is to unplug the connector behind the radio deck. I have no idea where the connector is. I need specific instructions.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:27 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you should remove the black platic trim also after unscrew the 4 screws on the driver side only. The antenae cable is just a single cable/plug just like headphone cable/plug but bigger.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Man, I have no idea how you people get your hands back there. It's so tight! I still haven't been able to get it yet. Is it better if I just remove the panel under the steering wheel? Would that help in getting to the connector, anybody ?
Old 07-05-2009, 08:48 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
haha, find some one with small hand.

Another way is just drive a car for few minutes then enter the code while you are driving. It could take many tries before the radio accepts the code.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey guys. first post, just wanted to say hi. I actually have this problem ALL the time when i work on my car and have to reset check engine light by unhooking battery, but I have a 03 tl type-s. I just used the fix tonight.

Radio won't take proven code:

Since it is an antenna issue, it's a very simple fix. Drive to a local underground parking garage where you cannot receive ANY radio signals and punch in the code. VOILA!!!! You HAVE to make sure that you are underground and cannot receive any radio signals, this is key. It absolutely works and you don't need to take apart the console.
I am in baltimore, so if anyone out there has this problem in my area and you need a place to go... just head to the Renaissance hotel in the inner harbor. Go into the underground parking garage, take a ticket, head to the bottom level, punch in code, and turn right around. The radio now works and you don't have to pay ANY fee due to the small amount of time you spent in parking garage. Hope this helps guys. I know it sounds so simple, but I swear it works!!! Enjoy and great forum.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Funny, I posted about this a long long time ago. Search is your friend

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/fixed-radio-refuses-take-radio-code-700000/#post11126306
Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM
1st Gear

Talking Entering the correct code with the Antenna Unplugged Really Works!!!

Entering the correct code with the Antenna Unplugged Really Works!!!

In reference to the person who left these directions below thank you. I had to give my VIN#, Registration, Phone Number, Zip Code, and ID to Acura with my radio serial #. They gave me Two unlock codes. I tried and tried and knew all codes and serial #'s were correct because I took the entire radio out. All for nothing.

Hold "1" and "6" down together with one hand, and with the other hand (while still holding "1" and "6" down), press the power button. Continue to hold "1" and "6" (you can let off the power button, however) and you should see digits on the radio screen.
It should be the letter "U" followed by four numerals, and then the letter "L" followed by four numerals. Disregard the letters; the numbers after "U" plus the numbers after "L" comprise your serial number, respectively.

Learning that the code must be entered with the antenna out was the missing step. The dealer will never tell you. You don’t need to run the car for hours and all that stuff.

After I locked the radio after so many attempts I did start over by disconnecting the battery.

Thanks below. ***************

If you are sure of the code is correct, then it's pretty easy to reset it. Now, if you are still within the warranty and/or the dealer agree to do it for free, then bring it to the dealer; otherwise, do the following:
On your driver seat, Take out the side trim piece (the one with fake wood material runs along the radio to the arm rest) by just peels it out (to the left) then pull out.
Remove 4 screws that attached to the lower side plastic trim and remove the plastic trim out.
Get your hand behind the radio deck and remove the antenna cable (the only cable right at the rear left corner of the radio deck)
Enter the radio code. It will work if you have correct code.
Re plug back the antenna cable
Re attach the lower plastic trim with 4 screws, and re attach the fake wood trim side piece.

Taking the radio all the way out was not fun and took a while to try and find all the screws and pieces in the way of the radio coming out. I was in so secure that there is no purpose in even needing a radio security code. Anyway. Have fun.

All this to say that the code must be entered in with the antenna unplugged. What a day!
Old 12-28-2009, 11:32 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by LacViet
If you are sure of the code is correct, then it's pretty easy to reset it. Now, if you are still within the warranty and/or the dealer agree to do it for free, then bring it to the dealer; otherwise, do the following:
On your driver seat, Take out the side trim piece (the one with fake wood material runs along the radio to the arm rest) by just peels it out (to the left) then pull out.
Remove 4 screws that attached to the lower side plastic trim and remove the plastic trim out.
Get your hand behind the radio deck and remove the antena cable (the only cable right at the conner of the radio deck)
Enter the radio code. It should working if you have correct code.
Re plug back the antena cable
Re attach the lower plastic trim with 4 screws, and re attach the fake wood trim side piece.
YOU ARE THE BEST!! 2 weeks with no radio.. Finally my girlfriend took off from work because Acura told me that I had to be in the car when I was on the phone with them so they can get my radio up and running. Every code they gave me didnt work.. Total of 4 codes. Finally they told me that there was an interference with the radio which was preventing my radio from unlocking. They instructed me to drive into an underground parking lot and try the code again. I DONT HAVE AN UNDERGROUND PARKING LOT!! Or they also said I can take my car to the dealer and pay. I followed the instructions and all works great. Total of 10 mins out there and its all done!!! Some tips: 1. start to remove the wood grain from the arm rest side. 2. use a flat head screw driver to push down on a clip that is located in the middle of the section once the wood grain is removed. 3. Screws. there are 3 black screws and 1 brass screw, Remove the brass screw and work your way up to the 2nd black screw. The 4th and final screw is located in a hidden spot. Pull down on the plastic that is under the steering column, where it meets the plastic which we are trying to remove. Get a stubby philips head screw driver and remove the screw located in the lower left hand side of plastic to be removed. Thats It!! Now remove the antenna. Turn the Key to II position.. Turn radio on.. Enter code.. This website is awesome and saved me a lot of money!! Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM
7th Gear

hi everyone im new here, i been looking to how to DYI to fix my radio. this morning i was searcing and happend to find my solution.

Here's how to retrieve your radio code:

1. Turn the key ( dont start your car)
2. hold and press 1 and 6 simultaneously
3. turn radio on
4. It will display two 4 digit numbers.
for example: U#### and L#### write those number down, those are your serial #
5. Call toll free number ( this is an authorized acura help line, its free and safe)

6. Give them your VIN # and SERIAL # and they will give you your radio code
7. i just recently did this today.

any question reply back...
Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Entering the correct code with the Antenna Unplugged not working

Originally Posted by LacViet
Get your hand behind the radio deck and remove the antena cable (the only cable right at the conner of the radio deck)
Enter the radio code. It should working if you have correct code.
Re plug back the antena cable
Are there any other options if you have done this proceedure and still not working? I have removed antenna and entered correct code but still no luck! Still getting ERR.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:44 PM
5th Gear

We could never get our 2002 or 2003 TLS's to accept the code to because I live so close to Chicago and strong radio signals, the dealer would do it for free but it was a bit of a drive and I wanted to be able to do it myself.
What I do now when I need to enter the radio code is go to a parking garage that has a lower level that goes into a hill.
I go into the deepest part and the code works the first time every time.
When the code is accepted the radio comes on and the station has a lot of static, so maybe find a tunnel or metal building or parking garage instead of taking the car apart. You can use a portable radio to see how good the reception is.
I have not tested this but putting a sheet of wide aluminum foil on the outside and inside of the antenna window and grounding them to earth ground(push a screwdriver in the ground to connect to) may also work.

Dan Geiger

Old 07-26-2016, 08:42 PM
1st Gear

radio code not working

I had problem with code not working. some where I read that I needed to be in an area where there was no reception. I found an area in a underground parking garage. entered code. works like it should. good luck.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same issue here with the radio code not working. I live in Manhattan so when I was driving through one of the tunnels I entered the code in and it worked perfectly. If you need to get the navigation code you need to get the serial number from the bottom of the unit in your trunk. First you have to disconnect all the wires from the back and unscrew 2 screws on each side. Then remove the unit and write the serial number down and go to this website and enter in your vin number and the serial # and they will email your codes to you.
https://radio-navicode.acura.com/

Is there any way to disable the anti-theft codes on the radio and navigation? I find it rather annoying and doubt anyone will try to steal my factory radio unit from a car that is 14 years old.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM
1st Gear

THANK YOU! Antenna fix worked for me too!

Thanks so much for posting the "pull the antenna" fix and for the OP following up to let the rest of us know it worked.

I had the same issue, an error each time I put the correct code in. I followed the instruction, pulling the antenna out and entered the code, voila, it worked! Kudos for explaining how to pull the drivers side trim without having to remove the entire radio. You saved me a bunch of time and my customer is happy.

(I know this is a necro thread, but in order to keep this at the top of google search results there is no harm in validating a good fix that will help countless others)
Old 11-04-2019, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

Underground parking structure with zero radio signals

I found that going into a underground parking structure with no radio signals also worked out. Just be sure to turn off your cell phone when you try to set your radio code under ground in a parking structure. Go as low as possible.. go second or third levels down into the parking structure.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:21 PM
2nd Gear

I have a 2002 TL that I let the battery run down, all the way. After got the battery charged, I went to re-enter the radio code. I have the original radio and serial number tag with the codes

I can enter the code and the radio turns on. When I press the CD button however, the word CHEC is displayed. If I try to re-enter the code, it will then give me ERT1. If I try the code again, it gives me ERT2. I tried smacking the side of the radio (which helped with a stuck CD. Than didn't do any good or harm.

The radio/cd functions worked fine prior to the dead battery happening.

Any suggestnios
Old 11-03-2023, 01:59 PM
10th Gear

Update: Radio Code not working(2G TL)

Several times in the past I've used and every time disconnecting the radio antenna worked, BUT this time it did not!
FIRST RECOMMENDATION, has saved needing to use antenna removal, and that is using a battery jumper, my NOCO GB70 and for good measure put the unit into high output mode, but as long as you have some form of current clipped to your positive battery terminal and grounding to the frame, preferably not the battery ground, this will save you added headache!
What to remove
Driver side wood trim, pop off and remove screws. Remove driver fuse panel and remove side screw and pop off panel under steering wheel, disconnect panel dim connector. Now you can pop out, flexing the kick panel to access back of radio. My hands are larger and needed to use smaller set of 90°needle nose pliers. Helps to visualize, so if you have a small mirror you'll see the antenna and will pull straight out...
Ok, on to the update...
I removed antenna and left it out for over 5min, and this was after disconnecting the battery ground previously and letting it sit for 5min.
I have an FM transmitter that I set to lowest static channel of FM87.7 and to honest don't know if it was the FM transmitter or the portable radio set to the same FM87.7, but I put the antenna towards the radio antenna, plugged it back in, turned on acc power(ignition) and entered the code and it took!
So, in hindsight use radio interference on top of disconnecting the radio antenna and see what happens... Did not have to drive around, fund a parking garage or leave anything unplugged for hours and was my experience...
In no particular order, but pics of screw & tab locations, antenna, and 90°needle nose pliers. I've done this more times than I'd like and the last battery change out with the battery jumper was attached, but was distracted by coworker/talking and doing in work parking lot, that the positive jumper lead slipped off and I prolonged doing the deed over a month before doing so...
Give it a try...🙌🙏

Old 11-04-2023, 02:15 AM
Pro

Received 185 Likes on 159 Posts
Never had to supply interference but I have had to reenter the code many times. I got tired of doing this as it required disconnecting the antenna input. I bought a short antenna cable extension and routed it so the connection is underneath the OBDII connector; I just have to pull the cable out a little and disconnect the cable there and enter the code. Has worked every time.
Old 11-06-2023, 11:04 AM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon M
Never had to supply interference but I have had to reenter the code many times. I got tired of doing this as it required disconnecting the antenna input. I bought a short antenna cable extension and routed it so the connection is underneath the OBDII connector; I just have to pull the cable out a little and disconnect the cable there and enter the code. Has worked every time.
I did something similar and tucked the cable under the kick panel. so i just have to reach about an inch under the kick panel, pull out the cables, disconnect, enter code, reconnect, and retuck.

The only problem is the cables i have are long, so the added loss causes issues with reception. But i rarely listen to FM.
Old 11-06-2023, 05:52 PM
Pro

One of the reasons I ran it under the OBD connector was it allowed me to do it using a 12" extension cable, running to the kick panel and back would have added some additional length and maybe an additional connection. In either case I think it does make the reset of the radio a lot easier every time you need to disconnect the battery and need to reenter the code.
Old 01-10-2024, 07:45 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Radio code reply

Originally Posted by AltecBX
Who here knows how to fix this? I'd changed my battery yesterday and it won't come up. I keep entering the right code over and over. When parked and driving with no luck. Is the right code, the code from the white label. I've used it before and it worked. I've tried everything. What else can I do to fix this, all I get is error1, erro2, erro3, etc...

2002 TL-S 6 disc changer
hi

the white little paper with the code is the serial number call any Acura dealer( give them the number off the paper)and they’ll give you the correct code, if you haven’t figured it out already I just did this yesterday
Old 01-10-2024, 08:16 PM
Pro

If your entering the correct code you will either have to it parked in an underground garage where you can't receive a radio signal or you will need to disconnect the antenna input from the back of the radio, enter the code, then plug the antenna back into the back of the radio.