Fan starts with car??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fan starts with car??

Hey folks! Just got myself a 2003 TL Type-S two weeks ago. So far, so good!

I've noticed a couple of issues though. Sometimes when I turn the car on, the fan (blower?) turns on as well. The AC is off, nothing displaying in that climate control screen. I've tried turning the fan speed knob from auto to any other setting, but it doesn't make a difference. I press OFF, nothing happens. It turns off after a minute or so by itself. It doesn't happen everytime, but has happened often enough to make me curious.

Any ideas on what this is? Is it normal?
Old 01-15-2017, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
There's a self diagnosis program build into the climate control system. Search for the procedure to run a self diagnosis of the climate control.

​​​​​
Old 01-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01acls
There's a self diagnosis program build into the climate control system. Search for the procedure to run a self diagnosis of the climate control.

​​​​​
Oh cool! I will try this. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2017, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

​​​​​
So I tried the self-diagnosis, but nothing at all happened. I turned the key to the ON position, and held the AUTO and OFF buttons. Nothing happened
Old 01-16-2017, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Did you hold down the bottoms for a minute? With or without navigation? Is the front defroster on by chance?
Old 01-17-2017, 12:19 PM
Intermediate

Did you hold down the bottoms for a minute? With or without navigation? Is the front defroster on by chance?
I did hold the buttons for a minute, but nothing happened. Defroster is not on, and no navigation on this car
Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 AM
Drifting

I'm going to say your climate control unit (ccu) is defective even though the self diagnosis came back negative. Maybe try another from a friends car or go buy a used one.

However, you should check the following first before replacing the ccu.

1. Reboot the ccu by pulling the fuse. Driver side fuse box #3 7.5A heater control.

2. Swap the blower motor relay with a known good one in the under hood fuse box.

3. Check the blower motor connector to see if it's burnt (shorting).
Old 01-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

I'm going to say your climate control unit (ccu) is defective even though the self diagnosis came back negative. Maybe try another from a friends car or go buy a used one.

However, you should check the following first before replacing the ccu.

1. Reboot the ccu by pulling the fuse. Driver side fuse box #3 7.5A heater control.

2. Swap the blower motor relay with a known good one in the under hood fuse box.

3. Check the blower motor connector to see if it's burnt (shorting).
I will give this a shot. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Check the blower motor connector at both the wiring and the motor. Mine was severely fried. I needed to replace the motor and upgrade the wiring. There is a kit to upgrade the electrical wiring from Acura. The p/n is in a forum post.