DAMN P1457 Coming back on after replacing Evap Canister and vent shut valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy DAMN P1457 Coming back on after replacing Evap Canister and vent shut valve

Hoping someone can assist with this before I end up taking it a mechanic. I've had code P1457 coming on for my 2003 TL Type-S for about two months now. I searched this code and found a DIY to replace the Evap Canister and the Vent Shut Valve from the 2G Forum.

Below are the part#'s:
  1. Evap Canister - 17011-S84-A00
  2. Canister Shut Valve - 17310-S84-L31
After I replaced both parts above, I thought everything was honky dory but the MIL light came back with the same P1457 code in 2 weeks. So I reset it and it came back on in another two weeks (did this twice and both times it came back on in 2 weeks time). Since this seemed like it coincided with when I put gas in the car, I replaced the gas cap to see if this worked. Sorry to say, the light came back again in 1.5 weeks.

Since I've done the above, and the light still comes back on, what are my other options? Should I just take it to a mechanic and ask them to do a smoke test now? I thought I would be saving money by replacing the parts myself since there was a Technical Bulletin out for this code for 2G TL's but it's not looking like I will be saving money now. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
PerfectPint1759 (01-02-2017)
Old 11-30-2016, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I just recently had the same code that was coming on every few days. I only replaced the vapor canister vent valve and it's been about 2 weeks, so far so good. Maybe you have a leak in one of the hoses back there?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Thanks MarcDavidoff. I will recheck the hoses this weekend. I've been reading a lot regarding this code and it appears replacing the vent shut valve did the trick for majority of the people. However, I've seen a few posts where replacing this as well as the canister didn't correct their P1457 code which is what I am experiencing atm.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah- try checking the hoses carefully. Our GMC Yukon has had this code now for the last ~5yrs or so. I replaced the same valve on it and it went away for about a year and then would come back every few months. Tried a new gas cap etc and no luck. Now it is coming again more frequently like once a month. I'm now thinking it has a leaking hose or else the aftermarket vent valve on that didn't last long. Seems it is a tough one to nail down without using a smoke machine.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Advanced

Thanks MarcDavidoff. I'm planning on checking the hoses again this weekend. If I can't find anything abnormal, I will just take it to a shop for smoke test. Hopefully, they can tell me where the leak is coming from.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:46 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jamus22 and MarcDavidoff
Many thanks for all the posts and and information. I also have a 2003 TL-S that has a CEL on and is throwing a P1457 and P1457P codes. Looks like it has been a month since your early-December post and was curious to see if the CEL & P1457 code problem still exists or problem has been permanently resolved. If solved, what were your final thoughts on the change that solved the problem?

Again, many thanks for the info!
Old 01-02-2017, 07:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Hey Perfectpint- my son has been driving my TL. He hasn't put a bunch of miles on it since I changed the valve but the error code has not returned
Old 01-03-2017, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Hey PerfectPint1759, unlike MarcDavidoff, replacing the shut valve and the canister did not work for me. The Mil light still comes back on with code P1457 every 200 miles or so. It was like this even before I replaced both parts. I have just been resetting the light for now but will be checking the hoses and connections once the weather warms up here in Chicago. If I still can't find any leaks myself, I am planning on just taking the car in for a smoke test to verify where the evap leak is coming from. After researching this code on the internet, it appears replacing the shut valve and the canister took care of this issue for MOST of the people. However, there were a select few (including myself) where the code still comes on after replacing both parts. Hope you have better luck than I did. Good Luck!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamus22
Hey PerfectPint1759, unlike MarcDavidoff, replacing the shut valve and the canister did not work for me. The Mil light still comes back on with code P1457 every 200 miles or so. It was like this even before I replaced both parts. I have just been resetting the light for now but will be checking the hoses and connections once the weather warms up here in Chicago. If I still can't find any leaks myself, I am planning on just taking the car in for a smoke test to verify where the evap leak is coming from. After researching this code on the internet, it appears replacing the shut valve and the canister took care of this issue for MOST of the people. However, there were a select few (including myself) where the code still comes on after replacing both parts. Hope you have better luck than I did. Good Luck!
At the moment i got the exact same code! I hear a clicking sound coming from the evap canister area, and i can also hear it from under the hood too. My car also leaks gas, especially if my gas tank is near full. Idk what this could be, i was gonna replace the entire canister with new valves but than i see a damn gas leak. Im guessing i need a new fuel tank.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamus22
lol, im from Chicago too, if the cold dont screw up ur car, these ragaly ass streets will!
Old 01-04-2017, 09:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Roblee23
lol, im from Chicago too, if the cold dont screw up ur car, these ragaly ass streets will!
LOL...Agreed.