Code 45-1 solenoid issue and transmission fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 06:21 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Code 45-1 solenoid issue and transmission fluid change

Ok so i have a 2002 acura tls with 153,000 miles. I recently took my car to get the vsa lights cleared at and the acura dealership and they ran a check. They said I had codes 84-1 (cleared code and lights dissapeared), they also said I had 45-1 which according to them was the right front apply solenoid valve failure. Now it took me a few days because I thought everything was good, but thinking about it maybe trhat is what triggered the vsa light? My questions Would this cause the vsa light to come on ? If not then IM assuming they are not tied together and how would that code be thrown to the computer. My suspicion is that they are tied together. So does anyone have experience with this? If so, what is your thinking?

For part two:
Im pretty sure the trans was replaced due to recall at 50,000 miles. i have had the atf done one time in the 7 yrs I have owned the car mostly due to ignorance and laziness to know about my car. Well recently I have lost my job and now cant risk losing my car because ill never be able to afford a newer one as nice as the one im driving now. Needless to say, I love my car but it has been slightly neglected except for oil changes (synthetic high milage).
So with that in mind I would like to own this car for another few years or until it dies. I know to get the atf filter changed during this. I will buy some seafoam trans tune and drive for 100 miles before I get my atf change done. Now, I asked my mechanic to do a 3x3 but he said he can get around 8 qts out without doing that (According to other threads on this site I call his bluff). So does anyone have an opinion on this or what else I should do before I get my atf done?
Just an fyi, I dont feel that my transmission is shifting rough nor is there any funny noises coming from my trans or engine.
Thx....

Last edited by Michael Hinchey; 03-11-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:47 AM
Instructor

So to edit the above I just googled code 45-1 for acura tls and nothing came up about solenoid. I think they meant that this code was showing but I think it has to do with the airbag system not solenoids. Im sure alldata pulled this and recognized that the solenoid was bad as well. I have no exp with this and this is why I come here for all acura questions. You guys are the real pros.... :P
Old 03-11-2016, 07:05 AM
Instructor

I just did a bit more searching and IM really confused now. Well im thinking the 45-1 is something entirely different but im sure it will cleared up by someone soon. I forgot to add that the color of the transmission is brown but not burnt either way it needs to be changed.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:39 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
It's possible to flush the fluid by disconnecting some external hoses and running the car as you fill with new fluid, I think. Stay far away if they use some kind of "flush" machine. But, with your mileage, I think it would be much better to do several drain & fills separated by around a week of driving. A case of ATF-DW1 is around $80 on Amazon (12 quarts). Drain & fill is as easy as an oil change. If you want to replace the filter I remove the battery & tray to get at it. Personally I wouldn't add anything else to the tranny to clean it out.

Do you have the factory service manual PDF? There is a link in a thread elsewhere. I did a quick search and didn't find the 45-1 code, but I only spent a minute and may have missed it.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Pro

OK I found it... DTC 45 is Right-front apply solenoid for the VSA pump. If the code comes back, your pump may be bad. 84 is neutral position. There is a neutral position learn procedure that allows the ECU to "learn" the neutral sensor inputs in the VSA pump. The dealer most likely cleared your code and performed the neutral learn.

I don't know if either of these codes caused the other, best case nothing ever comes back. Worst case you might need to replace the pump if it keeps throwing codes.

In case you're not familiar with it, the VSA pump consists of hydraulic pumps, solenoids and valves, and its own ECU. It controls your ABS and VSA functions and all of your brake lines run through it. If any single one of these components goes bad, you replace the whole pump. I just put a new one in my parents' CR-V (bad pressure sensor). Dealer wanted $1800 for the pump + $200 to install, I got a used one for $140 and put it in myself.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:14 AM
Instructor

Code 45-1

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
OK I found it... DTC 45 is Right-front apply solenoid for the VSA pump. If the code comes back, your pump may be bad. 84 is neutral position. There is a neutral position learn procedure that allows the ECU to "learn" the neutral sensor inputs in the VSA pump. The dealer most likely cleared your code and performed the neutral learn.

I don't know if either of these codes caused the other, best case nothing ever comes back. Worst case you might need to replace the pump if it keeps throwing codes.

In case you're not familiar with it, the VSA pump consists of hydraulic pumps, solenoids and valves, and its own ECU. It controls your ABS and VSA functions and all of your brake lines run through it. If any single one of these components goes bad, you replace the whole pump. I just put a new one in my parents' CR-V (bad pressure sensor). Dealer wanted $1800 for the pump + $200 to install, I got a used one for $140 and put it in myself.
Would this code be in memory, if the check engine light wasn't on? Would a light be illuminated if this happened. ?
Old 03-15-2016, 07:19 AM
Instructor

pdf

It's possible to flush the fluid by disconnecting some external hoses and running the car as you fill with new fluid, I think. Stay far away if they use some kind of "flush" machine. But, with your mileage, I think it would be much better to do several drain & fills separated by around a week of driving. A case of ATF-DW1 is around $80 on Amazon (12 quarts). Drain & fill is as easy as an oil change. If you want to replace the filter I remove the battery & tray to get at it. Personally I wouldn't add anything else to the tranny to clean it out.

Do you have the factory service manual PDF? There is a link in a thread elsewhere. I did a quick search and didn't find the 45-1 code, but I only spent a minute and may have missed it.
. Thx for the info.
Ok I will stay away from the flush machine at the shop. I would love to do this on my own however, I don't have the PDF you spoke of. I will try and find it through the search. I did buy the trans filter already but I am waiting for the trans dump and refill. Hopefully sooner than later because I am noticing a slight clunk or shudder when driving around 30-40 miles per hour but only when I feather the gas does it do this.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Michael Hinchey
Would this code be in memory, if the check engine light wasn't on? Would a light be illuminated if this happened. ?
Both codes will cause the VSA light to turn on.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:24 PM
Instructor

cool

Both codes will cause the VSA light to turn on.
thx for your reply. I don't have any lights on anymore since they were cleared by acura techs.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:08 PM
Pro

FYI I think I made a mistake in the above - the neutral position has to do with VSA components like lateral acceleration sensor, etc. Anyway, if you don't have any lights on the dash, sounds like you're good to go!