Belt squeal when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Belt squeal when cold

Idk if this happens to you guys but lately I've been noticing on cool damp days roughly around 0c to 10c there's a belt squeal after first starting the engine that only lasts for a few seconds and goes away.

I replaced the drive belt when I first noticed the issue then a year later I noticed it happening again so I had it replaced under warranty and this year now that spring is starting it's been happening yet again. But only on cool damp mornings.

Idk if it's because I'm using goodyear gator back belts or if maybe my tensioner is worn but it's still giving proper tension. One of my friends also said it was common for early J series engines that were in the TL's and Odyssey's so I'm wondering if that's true too.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
What is the condition of your power steering belt?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 AM
Pro

Also, I have a TL with 216k miles and an Odyssey with 115k, neither has had the belt squeal ever in any kind of weather. And I live in Seattle where half the year is cold and damp.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
What is the condition of your power steering belt?
Not even a couple of years old only put 25k on it since I had all the belts replaced when timing belt was done. It's a weird intermittent problem because it didn't happen today since it was fairly warm and dry this morning.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
was the tensioner replaced when you replaced the belt?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
was the tensioner replaced when you replaced the belt?
Nope it was replaced when the first timing belt was done about 10 years ago lol
Old 03-21-2017, 01:03 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Darksyne
Not even a couple of years old only put 25k on it since I had all the belts replaced when timing belt was done. It's a weird intermittent problem because it didn't happen today since it was fairly warm and dry this morning.
OK, wasn't sure since it sounded like you mentioned changing one belt. Have you watched the belt in operation while the engine is running? My tensioner went bad last year and you could visibly see it vibrating when you rev the engine up, a mechanics stethoscope also showed it making noise. Still, my belt didn't squeal but if you've never changed your tensioner there is a good chance it's weak or going bad with the age of the car.

But also, are you sure the tension on the PS belt is good? It should deflect about 1/3 to 1/2" when pushed with two fingers.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
OK, wasn't sure since it sounded like you mentioned changing one belt. Have you watched the belt in operation while the engine is running? My tensioner went bad last year and you could visibly see it vibrating when you rev the engine up, a mechanics stethoscope also showed it making noise. Still, my belt didn't squeal but if you've never changed your tensioner there is a good chance it's weak or going bad with the age of the car.

But also, are you sure the tension on the PS belt is good? It should deflect about 1/3 to 1/2" when pushed with two fingers.
Tension on the belt is good it's just only squeaking when first starting the car if it's wet outside like after a rainstorm or a humid day. I'm just wondering if maybe the bearing on the tensioner wheel is going bad or if it's just that I'm using a good year gator back belt. If it gets worse I might just replace both the tensioner and the belt.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
You can tell if the bearing is bad by turning it by hand
Old 03-29-2017, 12:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Darksyne
Tension on the belt is good it's just only squeaking when first starting the car if it's wet outside like after a rainstorm or a humid day. I'm just wondering if maybe the bearing on the tensioner wheel is going bad or if it's just that I'm using a good year gator back belt. If it gets worse I might just replace both the tensioner and the belt.
OK, just wanted to make sure you checked the tension on the PS belt cause that one doesn't have a tensioner and many times places will set the tension wrong when they replace, also it can get looser as the belt wears.