99 TL - Oil pan removal and replacement

Old 01-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
99 TL - Oil pan removal and replacement

I recently posted a new thread about a leaking oil pump housing. I have another question about the oil pan potentially leaking given that it has not been removed and replaced in 251,000 miles. I have read several other threads that indicate that you have to remove the oxygen sensor or at least disconnected it. I think one thread even discussed disconnecting a portion of the J – tube exhaust pipe to get the oil pan out. I have the service manual for the car and it just indicates to remove the oil pan, clean the surface, and use a Honda sealant around the oil pan perimeter and in the oil pan thread holes when reinstalling. I'm interested in comments from other forum users who have performed this maintenance task on a 99 TL, and what else if anything has to be removed other than the oil pan to complete the job.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I might be doing this service in the very near future. Posting a new oil leak thread shortly.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it's the same as the 02 Type s which it should be. You remove the j pipe which is very easy, might need to spray some penetrating oil on the the night before. Take the pass wheel off cause some of the pan bolts are between the frame and engine. Take the little plate that is inbetween the trans and engine (2 10 mm bolts) there are two or three bolts under there I believe.

Look up Honda Odyssey oil pan replacement on YouTube. It's the same engine setup
Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You HAVE to remove the J pipe to remove the oil pan. Once removed its not that hard.

Search this Thread