2003 TL - Need help troubleshooting heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 TL - Need help troubleshooting heated seats

I have a 2003 TL, and neither of the heated seats are working. The switches used to light up, but now they're not working either. I've checked every fuse and tested every relay I can find, and I can't figure out why the switches have gone dark. I've seen posts about the wires shorting out in the seats themselves, but I don't know if that could affect the lights in the switches. I've also heard that it could be a fusible link, but I have no idea where I'd look to find those.

I pulled and tested continuity on all of the fuses on the drivers side fuse box, the passenger side fuse box, and the under-hood fuse box. I also pulled and tested all of the relays for continuity in the under-hood fuse box as well as the relays near the master cylinder. I've had the center console apart to fix the radio code issue (where you have to unplug the antenna cable) because I unplugged all of the fuses, and while I was in there I made sure that both heater switches are fully connected. I have a multimeter, but I have no idea what to do to test the switches or the connectors. Everything else on the car works fine, including the power seat adjustment and the memory seat settings. I have no idea where to go from here, and I would really appreciate any other ideas!
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Do all three lights in each switch not work (illuminator that comes on with the lights, and each of the high/low indicators)?

My driver's side heater was burned out on both the seat bottom and back. The indicator still came on on the switch, the seat just didn't heat up. If you don't have the factory service manual, I would download it so you have the pinouts for the switches and heating elements in the seat. There is a separate thread that is updated with current download links.

One thing you could do, if you have the switches free is remove the lights from the side and check for voltage across the contacts with the switch on in the appropriate position, while it's plugged into the harness and the ignition on. That should tell you if you have power at the switch at least and that the switch is working.
The following users liked this post:
phantom80109 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:49 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of the lights are out on both switches, which leads me to believe that it's either both switches konking out at the same time, all the bulbs finally blowing out, or something further up-river that's not allowing power to get where it needs to be. I was able to locate the factory service manual and get it downloaded, and I found the testing procedures for the switches, the wiring harness and the seats, so hopefully I'll be able to figure out what the issue is.

BTW, there were A LOT of threads that had a link to download the manual, but only one that I found that works. It's here if anyone is reading this and needs it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/pqabil...ice+Manual.pdf

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, and I'll come back and re-post if I find out what the issue is.