2002 3.2 TL coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 3.2 TL coolant leak

I noticed the antifreeze reservoir was low and upon further inspection there was a leak on the passenger side of the engine.

I washed the entire engine and now the leak appears to be coming up from the underside through the motor mount? I have checked all hoses and steel tubes that I can see from the top and everything is dry and clean.

The antifreeze is dark in color and almost looks like oil. Like I stated the leak is coming up from the motor mount and running along and atop the steel body of the car towards the headlight.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
2 things.
the power steering reservoir and pump are right there. they can leak.

or the mount is blown and is leaking ?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:12 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for that. The power steering reservoir is for sure not leaking as I checked thoroughly. I will have to locate the pump and check that too as per your suggestion. Just to confirm antifreeze though, I put a very very very small amount on my tongue and it had a sweet taste.

I did not know that the motor mount had oil in it as that is exactly where the leak is coming from. Again, it doesn't look like antifreeze but more like oil however that "taste" test has me confused.

I really need to find it before having to take it in.

Thanks again
Old 02-15-2017, 01:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Maybe your head gasket is leaking , is there oil in the radiator/resevoir?

More likely is the connection between the radiator and the transmission fluid cooler hoses. they tend to dark. May need a new radiator.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:31 PM
5th Gear

I filled the reservoir as it was really low but did not check for oil at that time. I will check now. Is there oil in the side engine mount?

Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,577 Likes on 6,627 Posts
Are you talking about #7 here? OEM Acura TL SEDAN 2002 ENGINE MOUNT parts

Its rubber. The front and rear engine mounts have vacuum lines though.

If reservoir is getting low again, then there's obviously a leak.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:21 PM
5th Gear

Yes it is #7.
Old 04-23-2021, 11:07 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by glemai
Yes it is #7.

sorry for bumping this old thread, I had some leak coming from the brand new side mount I installed the other day while I was jacking the oil pan,, it was quite a lot and didn't smell like PS fluid.. since it's a brand new side mount should I claim warranty? or is this expected while the oil pan was jacked up.. from my understanding maybe the side mount was not strong enough to handle the weight of the engine while the front mount was removed...
Old 04-24-2021, 01:09 AM
Advanced

OK, I just went ahead and requested a replacement under warranty via rockauto.. I hope that solves the issue..

Old 04-27-2021, 01:05 AM
Casper

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Cbble
sorry for bumping this old thread, I had some leak coming from the brand new side mount I installed the other day while I was jacking the oil pan,, it was quite a lot and didn't smell like PS fluid.. since it's a brand new side mount should I claim warranty? or is this expected while the oil pan was jacked up.. from my understanding maybe the side mount was not strong enough to handle the weight of the engine while the front mount was removed...
Originally Posted by Cbble
OK, I just went ahead and requested a replacement under warranty via rockauto.. I hope that solves the issue..

Cbble,

As another poster responded in the old thread, the side engine mount by the belts and pulleys side of the engine is not fluid filled. It is strictly a rubber impregnated metal mount. Please check other components in the area which do have or carry fluids such as the ABS Modulator Pump Module (and its hard steel brake lines), the Power Steering Pump Reservoir and fluid lines (including the high pressure PS Pump line traveling over/near said engine mount.

The windshield washer reservoir is also nearby, but it certainly would not be the failure here. The AC lines wouldn’t be one of my guesses either.

I do suspect that you may be mistaken and that it is in fact the power steering pump reservoir or one of its hoses which is leaking. Please check the underside of the reservoir and along the hoses with a small mirror and suitable light.
The following users liked this post:
Cbble (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 12:54 PM
Casper

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by cominfromafar
Cbble,

As another poster responded in the old thread, the side engine mount by the belts and pulleys side of the engine is not fluid filled. It is strictly a rubber impregnated metal mount. Please check other components in the area which do have or carry fluids such as the ABS Modulator Pump Module (and its hard steel brake lines), the Power Steering Pump Reservoir and fluid lines (including the high pressure PS Pump line traveling over/near said engine mount.

The windshield washer reservoir is also nearby, but it certainly would not be the failure here. The AC lines wouldn’t be one of my guesses either.

I do suspect that you may be mistaken and that it is in fact the power steering pump reservoir or one of its hoses which is leaking. Please check the underside of the reservoir and along the hoses with a small mirror and suitable light.
Oops, i made a booboo. Sorry. Ignore what i said ...
The following users liked this post:
Cbble (04-27-2021)
Old 04-27-2021, 09:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cominfromafar
Oops, i made a booboo. Sorry. Ignore what i said ...
I found other posts about side mount fluid filled for honda ones, I think I managed to fix the issue, when it was leaking, the side mount wouldn't do a job holding the engine tight so the car was vibrating a lot, and I noticed that one of the rubber pieces was not aligned correctly, after I fixed that it stopped leaking and the vibration was significantly reduced. Nonetheless, the new mount is on its way and I'll update as soon as I get replaced. It's covered by warranty anyways Thanks for all your suggestions for other issues as well.