2000 TL external transmission filter confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 08:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 TL external transmission filter confirmed

Do all 2000 acura tl's have the external transmission filters?
or was it part of the rebuild and only trannys that were rebuilt had these installed as part of the recall
heres a Youtube comment someone made on the video im going to post
he said: The external filter was added on by Honda/Acura as a recall make shift fix
after watching this video I popped my hood and confirmed that i had one..
even though at least two mechanics told me they dont have them and there not serviceable.. including a transmission shop in my area thats been around for like 20+ years
i did the whole drain and fill 3 times in like an 8 week period and after the 3rd time my fluid looks great.. nice and red.. 74k miles on it
Now im thinking of getting the filter changed as well now knowing that i actually have one
Old 01-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
They all have them, I don't know why the dealer or mechanics say they don't. Either they don't know or they don't feel like doing it.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
They all have them, I don't know why the dealer or mechanics say they don't. Either they don't know or they don't feel like doing it.
thanks for clarifying that.. I honestly feel like they don't know about them.. I emailed my mechanic proof that my car has an external filter with links and a vid on top of the "non serviceable" internal filter (unless you open up the tranny) and never got a response back from him.. he told me too prove him wrong.. I think i just might call him tomorrow to make sure he got my email..I've only owned the car for a short time.. i did three tranny drain and fills in a 2 month period.. fluid looks very good by the 3rd time... I'm seriously thinking of changing that external filter.. has anyone here reading this changed theirs? suggestions?
Old 02-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 57 Posts
Yep, the only issue is it's a little hard to reach. I think I removed the battery & tray to get at mine. Just need to remove the screws from the flange holding the ATF tube to the end of the filter and the bracket it connects to, then unscrew the filter & replace. As I remember, one of the brackets screws hits the wheel well and won't come all the way out, but that's OK, it's enough.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I have changed my Tranny filter in both 03 TL's I've owned. It's not difficult. TIP-make sure you have a 6 sided socket/wrench to loosen and remove the bolts. Tight quarters and you don't want to strip them.