Botched egr clean looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botched egr clean looking for advice

I have a 2003 acura tl-s and attempted to remove the manifold in an attempt to clean the egr system. The problem I'm having is I took the intake manifold off and under the top plate cover...(10 10mm) you see those 8 12mm bolts. Well I broke one of those over tourqing and will come back to that. There is a rubber gasket on the passenger side on top of some type of flap that moves when u pull that cable u must remove on the passenger outside of manifold. The part number is 17112-PFW-J00. I didn't pay very much attention to it and removed it for the clean, it has three little pegs that look like they fit in holes. Problem I'm having is I can't remember what its supposed to look like back in. It seems to want to shape itself into an M shape when its anchored into the three holes. I was in a bad unexpected rush to get everything back in ( reason I broke bolts, I also broke one of the top plate ones) and noticed the plate did not want to go back in flush without a little force. I'm not 100% sure but pretty positive it was pushing that rubber gasket in and that was the resistance. Metal gasket looks to be alright... well I didn't expect the car to be driveable I'm going to have to dig that stupid nub out. But wanted to start it and see what I see. Well it starts up fine however idles high (1k) and whistles quite loudly, very loudly. Putiing my ear to the motor I can again, almost 100% be sure its coming directly from that snapped bolt area. I'm not too worried, the bolts are cheap and confident I can dig em out but worried I may need to buy new rubber gasket, and need confirmation how it should sit (visual if available lol). Any special instructions for these? Just plug in the rubber pegs? Look like an m? Or somehow lay thing flat? And the whistling...is this because of the bolt? Both of them? They're both in same area almost on top of each other...sucks its a holiday Mon now I must wait till prolly wed for parts, however to save time need to know if I should order new rubber gasket. Any input is extremely appreciated, as I am very new and know very little. Thanks again
Old 11-10-2012, 10:32 PM
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts
I would recommend downloading the 2nd gen TL service manual. There are a few posts with the download link. Just search. Check if there is a pic showing how this gasket fits.
The following 3 users liked this post by victus1:
01tl4tl (11-11-2012), HEAVY_RL (11-10-2012), iluvweed (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Well not in Haynes :/
Old 11-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The rubber gasket just lays across the top.

The whistling you here is most likely a vacuum leak. Dont drive the car. Take everything apart and get the broken bolts out. The lower intake bolts only get torqued to 16 lb/ft To break one of them you really had to be over tightening them. The top cover bolts are only 8.7 lb/ft

The following 4 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
01tl4tl (11-11-2012), 3.2TLc (11-11-2012), iluvweed (11-11-2012), TheMightyQuinn (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Lightbulb botched EGR clean....

Originally Posted by iluvweed
The problem I'm having is I took the intake manifold off and under the top plate cover...(10 10mm) you see those 8 12mm bolts. Well I broke one of those over tourqing and will come back to that.

There is a rubber gasket on the passenger side on top of some type of flap that moves when u pull that cable u must remove on the passenger outside of manifold. I didn't pay very much attention to it and removed it for the clean, it has three little pegs that look like they fit in holes.

Problem I'm having is I can't remember what its supposed to look like back in. I was in a bad unexpected rush to get everything back in ( reason I broke bolts, I also broke one of the top plate ones) I'm not 100% sure but pretty positive it was pushing that rubber gasket in and that was the resistance.

Metal gasket looks to be alright... well I didn't expect the car to be driveable, But wanted to start it and see what I see. Well it starts up fine however idles high (1k) and whistles quite loudly, very loudly. Putiing my ear to the motor I can again, almost 100% be sure its coming directly from that snapped bolt area.

I'm not too worried, the bolts are cheap and confident I can dig em out but worried I may need to buy new rubber gasket, and need confirmation how it should sit (visual if available lol). Any special instructions for these?

And the whistling...is this because of the bolt? Both of them? They're both in same area almost on top of each other...sucks its a holiday Mon, however to save time need to know if I should order new rubber gasket. Any input is extremely appreciated, as I am very new and know very little.

some assembly required

Hey Iluvweed, as Victus1 previously stated, an actual TL service manual would be of great benefit now and in the future. The Haynes and Chilton type of repair books don't cover any more than the very basics, and sometimes they are not always specific to a model.

My advice is to only attempt working on your car when you have ample time and a clear head. Sometimes if unable to retain a mental image of how things were situated prior to removal, try taking a pic or even draw a diagram noting how it should look when it comes time to put it all together.

Last edited by fsttyms1; 11-11-2012 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
iluvweed (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I vote for taking many pics of every job you want to do
really helps when things spill over to another day,,hidden connectors etc

buy a torque wrench- harbor freight tools has them for 10-15$ all the time
get one that works down to `10 foot pounds
these bolt are too important to guess and break!

buy a screw/bolt extractor kit at sears or similar
drills a hole into broken bolt- then insert a reverse thread tool into the new hole--turn it and the bolt backs out without damage to the base threads

take another bolt to ace or osh and match up size and GRADE OF BOLT
iluvweed (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

Hey thanks guys I really feel u owe ya big time. When you say ace... is that a better option than ordering part thru dealer? With vet day and everything my guess is I can have the bolt ordered and in by wed and drive wife's car. Ya I thought I had a full day then wife kinda came home early giving me shit about playing with stuff that isn't "broken". I'm probably going to have to buy that rubber gasket piece I mentioned I looked at it again today (took IM off to get bolt out) and it just looks stretched and old to me. It dosent lay flush and appears as though it should fit snug but I don't know. I'm pretty sure it was preventing me from placing plate on without resistance. If I try and force it down I get too much slack on it and it kinda springs out of place. Going to have to eat shit for a few days till I can get these bolts. And ur right I've been told a million times get the torque wrench and I'm a bag of shit sweat for not doing it sooner. Thx again guys, BTW the Haynes manual came with the car and yes does very little less instill an displaced sense of coincidence lol
Old 11-11-2012, 11:54 AM
Cruisin'

I'm on my phone last post was auto corrected to shit thx again
Old 11-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Take one of the good bolts and go to a Hardware store and find a bolt that matches in size and get it to replace the broken one with them.

OR take the bolt size from the pics i posted and replace the broken ones.
01tl4tl (11-12-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced

i just took my intake off last night to find it was extremely nasty...decided not to seafoam this time and instead do it the hard way,there was oil chillin inside the intake on one side,dont even know how it got there,but cleaned and reinstalled,but i diddnt know there was an order to tighten the bolts,i just went from inside to out,and diddnt really have a torque wrench so tightened snug with a little xtra,long story short,i noticed that it breathes waaaaaay better now and my transmission seems to be shifting alot better to,smoother....it feels like the car is brand new imo....i recommend everyone do this from time to time instead of seafoaming,plus lets u see if anything is out of ordinary,like the oil im my case,i still dont know how it got there,and upon inspecting the lifters they look new,no signs of blow by,no burn look....so if anyone has some input on that,i would greatly appreciate it,sorry for the rambling post,happy turkey day
Old 11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
reading the diy and following it is critical
seafoam is not meant to clean egr passage,,it doesnt get there!

the oil on top is normal

TORQUE is critical on those bolts,,everything has an order to loosen or tighten and a spec,,how to bring up the torque in steps and a final number
Note many find they have to retorque those bolts after 500 miles- then good till next time in 75kmiles
did you do the TB service too?

seafoam done thru gas 1 can in half tank keeps the fuel system good and gets the intake valves and pistons
thats important to be done!!