The Mrs 2000 FPR 3.2TL restoration

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
^ definitely worth it! No plans to get rid of this anytime soon and we bought it spontaneously back in 2012. I couldn't have been happier
Old 09-03-2014, 09:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Been a while since I updated this thread...

Some updates since its been a while.

April 2014: New tires 225/55-16s

May 2014 was a rough month. The car was hard shifting, so I took it to the repair shop where I had the tranny rebuild. I received a call that the torque converter is bad THANKFULLY, it was replaced under warranty.

I get the car back to find out the passenger front center wheel hub nut was not secured. We drove around for a day and a half wondering why the hell the car sounded like the brakes were grinding. Thankfully, the wheel remain intact and I figured it out and tightened the wheel nut

On that eventful weekend, I spun a rod bearing on my RSX , so it's been out of commission and only been riding with the 2G TL.

May-August, I've been focusing on getting the RSX back up and running.

Here's the RSX before the transplant:

New Heart (2006 Acura TSX - K24A2) :

Transplant complete to include K24A2, r, MFactory Helical LSD, OBX v1 Race Header, Hardrace Motor mounts, 4130Fab modified K20 oil pump, and my M62 Eaton JRSC blower:

I have a few kinks to work out still to get the car running right as it's currently overheating, but ultimately its driveable again.

Back to what you guys care about, the 2G...

Headlight went out on the 2G last month

New headlight from
<b>amazon (click for link)</b> amazon (click for link)
:

I ended up ordering 2 not paying attention, so I have a spare set in case something happens to these. All in all, not bad and they were a direct fit with no issues. Hardest part was getting the damn covers back with the wires in place on without unlatching the bulbs.

What's next... As soon as I sort out the RSX, I'll start prepping for the Aisin TKH-001 Engine Timing Belt Kit with Water Pump install
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Updated list of maintenance/restorations completed to date:

1) New Plugs
2) New brakes
3) Oil change + filter (done several of these)
4) Double check serpentine belt condition (all good)
5) Double checked timing belt condition (all good)
6) Replaced oxygen sensor
7) Replaced ECT sensor
8) Replaced EGR valve
9) 3.2TL emblem that came off during washing it (left it off)
10) Replaced cabin filters
11) Replaced OEM rearview mirror (previous one exploded)
12) Replaced OEM hood dampers (both were blown)
13) Replaced air filter
14) Fixed arm rest lock (need new arr rest cover)
15) New front interior light assembly with homelink (works now with garage)
16) Spare tire (was missing)
17) Salvaged a trunk carpet/and trunk lid over spare tire (was missing)
18) 2003 OEM clear tail lights (HUGE difference and best mod so far )
19) New radiator
20) New radiator fan assembly
21) Attempted to clean interior carpet (stained up pretty bad from previous owner, so going to replace)
22) JVC Headunit with BT
23) RE-wired factory sub to work with aftermarket radio
24) Second transmission rebuilt
25) New rear main seal
26) Replaced valve cover gaskets and fixed oil leak behind cylinder head
27) Intake Manifold and EGR ports cleaned
28) New motor mounts (front, side, rear, and trans)
29) Rocking the RSX Type S floor mats
30) Restored OEM headlights
31) New 225/55-16 tires
32) New 6000K D2R headlights

To do:
1) Timing belt and water pump replacement (top priority)
2) Re-tint the car
3) Resurface the OEM wheels
4) Replace interior carpet
5) Exterior B pillar covers (black)
6) Replace interior panels (coming apart, but not high priority)
7) Repaint (paint is in good condition, but there are some bad scratches all around)
The following users liked this post:
mugenspire (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 12:24 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Did the car end up running any better after that EGR job you did on it?

I need to do mine as well. I don't think it's ever been done.

My FPR paint is starting to go bad. There is a spot on the trunk where the clear coat is starting to powder. Other than that the car needs a good polish and wax.

My passenger side headlight has a very slight flicker to it. There is no water or moisture on the inside of the lens which tells me the ballast probably isn't getting soaked like so many others have had, so what could it be?

Last edited by Yikes; 09-03-2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Yikes

My FPR paint is starting to go bad. There is a spot on the trunk where the clear coat is starting to powder. Other than that the car needs a good polish and wax.

My passenger side headlight has a very slight flicker to it. There is no water or moisture on the inside of the lens which tells me the ballast probably isn't getting soaked like so many others have had, so what could it be?
Its could be the ignitior that's what my issue was. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...katabaticsaint
Yikes (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Yikes

The car ran like shit for the first couple days because I flipped Tue metal gasket, but after that was sorted out, it ran much better. The car felt more peppy and mpgs actually improve with the better airflow! I highly recommend doing it and its not bad. Just have several cans of brake cleaner and spray them good, scrape off the carbon and hose them clean. Also be sure to dry everything before bolting it back up.

Paint is fading for me as well, but surprisingly holding up better for me than I thought. I'm not painting this anytime soon, so I'll try to maintain it as long as possible.

I have not experienced flickering of headlights. I did have 2 different bulbs (you could tell by the color) when I bought the car. I found out the previous owner hit a guardrail and Acura did the repair to include from bumper headlight and passenger fender. Another reason why the front looks pretty good paint wise and the rear looks meh on my 2G.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:45 PM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts
Awesome work man! Way to keep the 2G running healthy and strong!! Reading your thread reminds me its about time to change my brakes And great work on the DC5 as well looks like a beast!
nats007 (09-03-2014)
Old 09-03-2014, 07:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mugenspire
Awesome work man! Way to keep the 2G running healthy and strong!! Reading your thread reminds me its about time to change my brakes And great work on the DC5 as well looks like a beast!
Thank u Sir
Old 12-01-2014, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Some car trouble... But didn't leave me stranded

UPDATE: Car is at 226K+ miles and ran into a bit of trouble driving back from ATL. First off, I got the CEL and TCS driving up. I scan the code and got P1676 and P0118.

P0118 - ECT Circuit High Input
P1676 - FPTDR Signal Line Failure

I cleared it per instructions and it popped back up, so it's not a fluke. I did some digging and it seems the ignition switch could be an issue. I'm leaning to this as the car has cut off a couple of times in the parking lot with a slight touch of the key. I realized there was a recall on the ignition switch in 2005, so I decided to get the car checked out when I get back from holiday break. I also have several other maintenance actions lined up after this trip to include:

* New rotors and brakes (current rotors are warped)
* New timing belt kit and waterpump
* New serpentine belt
* Oil change
* Transmission fluid drain and fill

So, I'm driving back now to Florida and the battery and brake light indicator came on. I pulled over to get lunch with the fam, popped the hood and everything looked normal. Checked the fluids, brakes, but nothing looked out of whack... I should have gotten the battery tested, but car started right back up after lunch, so I kept riding. 2 hours later, CEL, TCS, and ABS pops with the battery and brake indicators on. I start to get over to the right lane and I'm not near an exit. The instrumentation panel goes dark, radio cuts off, and car is just cruising. I was still able to brake and accelerate, so I cruised to the next exit about 5 miles down and slowly roll into a gas station

Jumped out, filled her up, and then ask the attendant where I can get a battery. I had a 2 mile hike, so I left the wife and kids with the car and starting my jog. I saw a Tire Kingdom and asked them a couple of questions and they said it's most likely the alternator (which confirmed my suspicion). It's 5pm on Sunday, no time to get a shop and I'm still 3+ hours from home due to traffic according to the GPS

I made the decision after talking to my pops to grab a battery from WalMart, picked up a portable charger, and swapped int he new battery to get home. I put the new battery in, car fired right up, but the battery and brake light stayed on. All the other light extinguished... I pretty much said f$#k it, let's do this, and was off.

So... I made it home at 10:30pm with one stop for bathroom and coffee break. I was hesitant, but my 4 year old and 1.5 year old were getting antsy. The car hesitated to start, but after giving it some gas, it stayed on the and headlight were steady and bright.

I probably drained the new battery getting home, but I'm happy I was not left on the side of the road and the TL got my family home safely. I plan on testing the alternator tonight to see if that is really the issue. BL: My wife is now ready for a new car and she's actively looking this weekend. We may keep the 2G, but we may let it go as a trade in for an MDX. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
I'm betting on your beloved wifey getting an SUV for the growing family !!!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
I'm betting on your beloved wifey getting an SUV for the growing family !!!
I was original pushing for a 4G Acura TL 6MT or Infiniti G37 6MT based on her requirement for a 6 speed luxury mid size sedan. BMW, MB, and Audi were options as well, but I was hesitant.

But you are correct, Sir. Our last few road trips, we rented a minivan and it was super convenient. This is the first road trip back in the TL since then and it was not enjoyable, especially in traffic, so she made up her mind on an SUV.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Mrs new car: CPO 2011 CBP Acura MDX Tech

We still have the 2G TL... and I'll keep her going.
mugenspire (01-02-2015)
Old 12-31-2014, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

few shots from a few weeks back

I ended up testing the alternator on the 2G and it's weak. I'll replace the alternator and get the TL back into action as a DD for myself
mugenspire (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 01:04 AM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts
both rides are lookin fresh! congrats on the MDX as well!
nats007 (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
Both cars look great, we're having an acura meet down by you next week if your interested.

https://acurazine.com/forums/southea...2015-a-923401/
nats007 (01-02-2015)
Old 05-02-2015, 10:54 PM
Burning Brakes

It's been a while... Time to get the TL running again

Current list of parts to get her back up and running:
Water pump and timing belt - AISIN Part # TKH001 INCLUDES WATER PUMP $194.79
Alternator - TYC Part # 213835 $107.99
Brake Kit - POWER STOP Part # KOE2295 $143.79
Serpentine Belt - GATES Part # K060461 $11.26
Power Steering Belt - GATES Part # K040438 $8.66
New Battery - currently under warranty
New OEM valve cover gaskets - 12341-P8A-A00 $5.91 each
Old 07-19-2015, 02:08 PM
Burning Brakes

After 6 months of sitting in the driveway, I finally had time to get her up and running again...

Before blowing money, I wanted to see if it is worth it. So, I replaced the alternator, recharged the dead battery and she started. Next, I had to pull off the IM to change the front VC gasket with an OEM one (eBay one started leaking). I noticed the ECT sensor was broken, so quick trip to Autozone to get a replacement.

Sprayed a ton of degreaser on the exhaust manifold where oil has dripped on from months to hope fix the engine smoking while idling

Bolted everything back up and we're looking good so far.

Up next will be new pads as the brakes are low and an oil change.
Old 11-22-2015, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

2G has been holding up but noticed oil spots on the driveway this week. Turns out power steering is leaking. I think it's the rings, but need to really diagnose it.

In other news... Did a little work on my RSX. New mishimoto radiator, fan shroud kit, fan switch, and custom Honda Valve cover.

Also picked up an AEM water methanol injection kit to be installed sometime this year when I get time. Once I do that, swap crank pulley and retune, I should be good on engine mods. Need new tires and brakes for Xmas!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:20 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm jelly of the RSX
Old 11-22-2015, 02:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Prufessor_Oak
I'm jelly of the RSX
still has a way to go, but thanks!
Old 04-30-2016, 01:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Random update on the 2G. As much as I want to give up on this car, I can't. Even for being 16 years old, it rides so smooth lol.

So I did the oil change, new brake pads all around and found the power steering leak in the high pressure hose. Power steering leak is pretty significant and I've read to change the hose is a PITA.

Rear rotor is warped, but haven't changed it. Also, wiper blades are literally falling apart, so I scooped some cheap replacements. Last month, I was teaching my nephew how to drive and he lost control and slid off the road into a fence. Thankfully, no injuries or major damage to the fence or TL.

Right now, I'm keeping it running with minimal investments as I plan on getting a newer TL in the next 2 years.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Just wanted to share that I ended up trading the TL for my wife's original car that we let my brother borrow during hard times. He was ready for something new, so since my wife missed having a manual vehicle, we offered to take the Mazda3 back and he could take the TL to trade in. All in all, the TL was never a planned, but we truly enjoyed owning for the past few years. I still plan on getting myself a 3G or 4G TL in the next 2 years once we pay off the MDX!

I just wanted to stop in and thank the AZ 2G TL community. You guys have been rock solid with your advice in helping me restore/maintain our 2G. I miss it everyday even with the damn transmission problems, lol. I'll still be around, but mainly in the 2G MDX forums and will start peeking in the TL forums when I get the urge to buy another one.

Last edited by nats007; 08-16-2016 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nats007
Just wanted to share that I ended up trading the TL for my wife's original car that we let my brother borrow during hard times. He was ready for something new, so since my wife missed having a manual vehicle, we offered to take the Mazda3 back and he could take the TL to trade in. All in all, the TL was never a planned, but we truly enjoyed owning for the past few years. I still plan on getting myself a 3G or 4G TL in the next 2 years once we pay off the MDX!

I just wanted to stop in and thank the AZ 2G TL community. You guys have been rock solid with your advice in helping me restore/maintain our 2G. I miss it everyday even with the damn transmission problems, lol. I'll still be around, but mainly in the 2G MDX forums and will start peeking in the TL forums when I get the urge to buy another one.
RIP TL! Sounds like you had a good run with it, though. Hope your brother enjoys it