7 inch Tablet Nav and Internet Mod

Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 PM
live fast or die slow

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WBA-01
your navi isn't tied into the gauges in the way that it could cause those lights to be on. It only shares the signal wire for vss with the cluster. The cluster wont change even with the entire navi drive & screen removed. You may have multiple problems or some bad wiring to the cluster .I would take the time to go see what the check engine code is first ( easiset for somebody to pull for free). How does the car drive with all those lights on?
first let me start off with saying tks for responding ur the first person to respond to my post, well i bought this car about a month ago and it had tranny issues when i was looking at the car i saw the codes and asked about them and the seller told me that they had came on because someone had broken in and stole the navi although from further inspection doesnt really look like it cause nothing was broke and even the hdd was missing from trunk also wires werent cut, so i was like fine ill just find another nav, as i said the car had tranny problems and as i was driving it home it went out on me(so i would highly presume) it wouldnt wanna shift into third i believe i was goin 60 at 6k rpms if i forced it, it would go into redzone so i didnt force it about 20miles in it wouldnt move so i pushed it in to a parking lot than came back the next day and towed it home, in saving for another trans i figured id try and fix the cluster problem i found a navi installed and wouldnt turn on finally my dumbass remembered to check fuses and yes it was blown and just like u said it turned on but didnt fix the cluster issue, but the answer to ur ? it drove just fine, gas gauge works, speedometer works all work just those codes pop up ive checked all the panel fuses, maybe i should check engine bay fuses?? u think if i disconect the batterry the codes might go away i know that sometimes fixes check engine lights momentarily

also off topic, im buying a tranny from this guy in houston and hes selling it cheap any pointers on how to tell if its good? he says he will give me a 30 day warranty but he works for himself so thats not really a realible guarantee tks again

ps love the install plan to do the same replica on mine cept get rid of the stock radio
Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MilwaukeeDave
How did you hardwire into 12v power? Also, if you add an aftermarket head unit that had USB ports, could you plug the tablet into that??
I wired mine to the power socket right under the radio, it's now located behind the gauges i mounted there. I had to get a car charger then just used the tablet's usb cable into that. As far as aftermarket radio's it should work just fine but make sure it supports 2 amp output. I first tried an ipod car charger but it only had a 1 amp output and the tablet wouldn't charge properly. I kept my radio stock as i didn't want to give up my steering wheel controls.

Originally Posted by reaper101
first let me start off with saying tks for responding ur the first person to respond to my post, well i bought this car about a month ago and it had tranny issues when i was looking at the car i saw the codes and asked about them and the seller told me that they had came on because someone had broken in and stole the navi although from further inspection doesnt really look like it cause nothing was broke and even the hdd was missing from trunk also wires werent cut, so i was like fine ill just find another nav, as i said the car had tranny problems and as i was driving it home it went out on me(so i would highly presume) it wouldnt wanna shift into third i believe i was goin 60 at 6k rpms if i forced it, it would go into redzone so i didnt force it about 20miles in it wouldnt move so i pushed it in to a parking lot than came back the next day and towed it home, in saving for another trans i figured id try and fix the cluster problem i found a navi installed and wouldnt turn on finally my dumbass remembered to check fuses and yes it was blown and just like u said it turned on but didnt fix the cluster issue, but the answer to ur ? it drove just fine, gas gauge works, speedometer works all work just those codes pop up ive checked all the panel fuses, maybe i should check engine bay fuses?? u think if i disconect the batterry the codes might go away i know that sometimes fixes check engine lights momentarily

also off topic, im buying a tranny from this guy in houston and hes selling it cheap any pointers on how to tell if its good? he says he will give me a 30 day warranty but he works for himself so thats not really a realible guarantee tks again

ps love the install plan to do the same replica on mine cept get rid of the stock radio
Disconnecting the battery may only temp. clear the codes. My guess is you have a few different issue's going on giving you all the lights. If the trans is slipping that bad that will give you the engine light, the TCS & ABS are most likely related, my guess for that would be wheel sensor. And SRS is usually just a buckle code or opds issues. As far the trans the only way to really test it is to drive it after it's installed.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by reaper101
ok i know this isnt exactly on topic but i need help please, i have a 99 model with nav already, i bought this car recently with trans shot and looking to repair it( i know bad idea right well back in july i had another 99 tl non nav that was my pride and joy till i rolled it 5 times and well just felt like the car saved my life if i could post pics u could swear nobody made it out so thats why i bought another one), while i save up the money for the trans i need help with my cluster panel all codes are popping up while car is running, check engine, maint req, abs, srs, etc... cept seatbelt, i was told by seller reason for this is cause nav was stolen out of unit although from inspection doesnt really look like so as the bezel wasnt broken and no screws hold plastic also hdd was removed from trunk with eaze, well i bought a navi from junkyard from a 02 model and tried to put it in but i realized the wires were cut from 99 model so i went back and cut the main harness wire to the nav than returned home to find not all colors match although there are a total of 16 wires on each model, tried wiring to the best i could without any luck of cluster fix or nav turning on( maybe need the hdd????) anyways i could care less about the nav i want the cluster fixed my double din radio has nav, any ideas how to fix this?? if this is the reason than im sure others have had this issue when removing nav??? please help tks, btw nice install i like to custom everything too will most like be doin this also, do u have power cord to tab? i would think so since u wouldnt be removing it tks again if u can help with the cluster panel situation, other than codes popping up all other gauges work tks again this site is awesome
The Navi not being there has nothing to do with your issues. The TCS/CEL are on because your trans is toast. The SRS is probably on because of a faulty sensor or a wire behind the dash that was cut. Also you claim you wired it up the best you could? If the harnesses are different odds are the majority of the wiring is as well. You need to figure out what EACH of the wires are on both harnesses BEFORE you connect them. Guessing could lead to bigger issues like frying a multiplex (your fuse panel) or other components. Get your codes read to find out why your cel/tcs are on. Your srs try resetting that and see if it comes back on (srs reset can be found all over youtube and in our DIY page)
Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
I have Navi in my 99 TL an I been playing around with a/c OFF/ON for past week an only thing i really notice is you lost the vent an speed control on fan beside that i didn't see an other problem. This will definely be my next mod

Does the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 have build in GPS?
Also Is there a tablet that has build in GPS so I wouldn't have to use wi-fi access.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Boosted...

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by AznWay
Does the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 have build in GPS?
Also Is there a tablet that has build in GPS so I wouldn't have to use wi-fi access.
Yes the Galaxy 2 does have the built in GPS, that's why i choose this tablet over a few others. The other nice thing is that google maps now let's you download map area's for offline viewing. I added a 32gb card to mine and have it full of music & music video's. Most of the time i don't even bother tethering my phone, unless i want to listen to Pandora or i want to see traffic flow on my map.
The following users liked this post:
AznWay (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great idea! My nav is dying on me, I think I'm going to do this mod to replace it.

Think I understand every step except the part about hard wiring the power into a 12v power source. Can someone explain the steps for this in detail? Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Godswrath
Great idea! My nav is dying on me, I think I'm going to do this mod to replace it.

Think I understand every step except the part about hard wiring the power into a 12v power source. Can someone explain the steps for this in detail? Thanks!
You wire the tablets power cord to the cars power. If you didnt you would have to remove it to plug it in and charge it all the time.
Godswrath (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by WBA-01
Yes the Galaxy 2 does have the built in GPS, that's why i choose this tablet over a few others. The other nice thing is that google maps now let's you download map area's for offline viewing. I added a 32gb card to mine and have it full of music & music video's. Most of the time i don't even bother tethering my phone, unless i want to listen to Pandora or i want to see traffic flow on my map.
For the most part that is useless. It would be nice if they offered to dl the whole map (like most portable gps have) or at minimum a selected state.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:57 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You wire the tablets power cord to the cars power. If you didnt you would have to remove it to plug it in and charge it all the time.
Thanks for the response fsttyms! I understand it has to receive power from the car, I'm just not sure on how to go about connecting it. Does that mean soldering or simply plugging it in somewhere? Would I lose permanent access to the cigarette lighter? Could you be a little more specific, not too familiar with these kind of things, but I'm good at following instructions.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Buy the 12v car adapter for the appropriate tablet and cut the cig lighter end off. Cut the wire behind the 12v socket and twist the 3 wires together for power and ground. This way you can power the tablet and keep your 12v outlet. Just tape or heat shrink it all nicely so nothing makes contact w bare wires. Once I can afford this I'll try to add to the DIY with a few pics of wiring it an maybe a bracket that can be made at home. With winterizing my home my time to work on car projects is very little but I'm buying a propane heater this winter to extend my car time!
Godswrath (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM
8th Gear

Buy the 12v car adapter for the appropriate tablet and cut the cig lighter end off. Cut the wire behind the 12v socket and twist the 3 wires together for power and ground. This way you can power the tablet and keep your 12v outlet. Just tape or heat shrink it all nicely so nothing makes contact w bare wires. Once I can afford this I'll try to add to the DIY with a few pics of wiring it an maybe a bracket that can be made at home. With winterizing my home my time to work on car projects is very little but I'm buying a propane heater this winter to extend my car time!
Ah, okay. Thanks I figured it was harder than it sounded lol! The part about the bracket was my next question! Can anyone who's done this share their DIY method for the bracket--maybe WBA-01?
Old 11-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well it could be as simple as some metal straps available in hardware stores. They're thin metal with holes in the center every inch or so. Then use some JB Weld to set some screws inside the bezel in the appropriate places then let cure and use with the straps to secure. Or fabricate one from some thin sheet metal like in this DIY.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:55 PM
8th Gear

Is there a way to connect it to the car's power without cutting any of the car's wires? Even if it requires an adapter or something. (could I somehow use the power that is going to the Navigation?) I don't mind cutting the wire from the tablet's car charger, obviously, but it would be nice to not "permanently damage" the car's wiring.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 PM
8th Gear

Is there a way to connect it to the car's power without cutting any of the car's wires? Even if it requires an adapter or something. (could I somehow use the power that is going to the Navigation?) I don't mind cutting the wire from the tablet's car charger, obviously, but it would be nice to not "permanently damage" the car's wiring.
Alright, after a LONG time of researching, think I found my answer here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/dummy-needs-help-12v-power-611817/

Guess I can get an "add-a-fuse" if I don't want to cut the 12v socket's wire. Now I just need to research how to properly run the wire from the center console to the acc fuse. Not sure if that's an easy task.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:17 PM
8th Gear

Alright, after a LONG time of researching, think I found my answer here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611817

Guess I can get an "add-a-fuse" if I don't want to cut the 12v socket's wire. Now I just need to research how to properly run the wire from the center console to the acc fuse. Not sure if that's an easy task.
Oh, maybe the other option is best, using a "quick tap connector", and sharing the power from behind the stock radio, I believe this method doesn't require any cutting or splicing.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear

I'm really interested in this. Putting iPad mini or galaxy tab 2 in-dash.
Has anyone else done something like this that they can share?
After researching the net
1. I found that nobody will sell a decent w/ navigation bezel for no less than $50 and same price goes for w/navi Climate unit.
2. I wanted a dash where I can remove the tablet with ease. Then I found SoundMan who build proffessional looking dashes for iPads, but their services start at $800.
3. Finally I found Android-car from St. Petersburg who build those in dash android units that is fully integrated with physical buttons/volume knobs binded to the tablet, steering wheel controls, fm radio, Bluetooth calls/ audio transition, OBD II diagnostics, front view camera, rear view automatically turns on when you put the car in reverse, auto dims display when headlights turn on. Check out the video, it's in Russian but the visuals give pretty good description (
)
3.-Cons: it's a unit, not removable tab; it's made specially for 2011+ Russian versions of Hondas and other makes. It operates under android 2.2 & 2.3, 1ghz processor. Cost is approximately $800, $80 back up camera, $20 microphone, wifi module/3G module/ wifi 3G router $55 each and shipping of course but they only sell to Russian countries only I believe.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

iPad/iPad mini won't fit unless you plan to eliminate the head unit and use that area for a tablet which actually wouldn't be too hard really to do. Just get a galaxy tab or nexus 7 for cheap and leave it in there. All these other options are expensive and getting your car to St. Petersburg and back ain't gonna be cheap so...
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
I wanted to wire a tablet in my TL....but the problem, I encountered is:

1> i didnt wanna pay $35/month for the data to get navigation/internet radio
2> I didnt wanna mess with 2 devices in my car

so what I did is, I put a 7" screen in there and mirrored my phone on the screen. So now I have my cellphone displaying everything on the screen....I get all my gauges on the screen using the torque app and also am playing my radio using the OEM stereo....I just added a preamp and the sound is just perfect....
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM

I wanted to wire a tablet in my TL....but the problem, I encountered is:

1> i didnt wanna pay $35/month for the data to get navigation/internet radio
2> I didnt wanna mess with 2 devices in my car

so what I did is, I put a 7" screen in there and mirrored my phone on the screen. So now I have my cellphone displaying everything on the screen....I get all my gauges on the screen using the torque app and also am playing my radio using the OEM stereo....I just added a preamp and the sound is just perfect....

EDIT: my car is stripped out, so I didnt care much for a bezel around it....but it fit in the AC/radio info place in the TL

Last edited by swoosh; 12-17-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Make your cell phone a hot spot then you won't have to pay any charges. Just jailbreak it. That's my plans at least. Already have everything except OBDII Bluetooth reader.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:43 AM

freaking double post

yeah i have a rooted phone and thought of that options as well....but I have a rear view camera and ordered a blackvue camera for the front which I can see on the screen...the screen has 2 video inputs, 1 goes to the phone and the other goes to a switch where I can choose between the rear view or front view/dash camera)....i wudnt have been able to do that on a tablet...
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM
3rd Gear

iPad/iPad mini won't fit unless you plan to eliminate the head unit and use that area for a tablet which actually wouldn't be too hard really to do. Just get a galaxy tab or nexus 7 for cheap and leave it in there. All these other options are expensive and getting your car to St. Petersburg and back ain't gonna be cheap so...
I wouldn't necessarily ship my car over, no. They sell square universal in dash android stereos. That version is ver close to my ideal but it's expensive and not a portable tablet and like outdated OS. And Harnesses could be a minor issue.
iPadmini: I love iOS for their interface, ipod app, and jailbreak community. But I would have to spend on it $559 for A-gps 32 gb model + I have seen anyone able to make it work with rear view camera.
Android: I like the ability to root and customize it to work with camera/steering wheel, etc. But I have no idea how to program it. Have little experience with it
Originally Posted by swoosh
Great idea to have my cellphone mirrored, but at the same time sounds like inconvenience to grab your phone while driving + illegality aspect
Old 12-17-2012, 04:03 PM

^^^ my girl grabs my phone everytime we drive

on a more serious note, once you have your nav/radio/what-ever you are running on the screen you dont need to grab your phone....if you a like me and switch between apps while driving, then you can make a dock for your phone

either way, it depends on what you are looking for....if all you are looking for is a cool factor and a tablet in your dash, then pick a tab and custom fab it in there....

i wanted more functionality (with the camera's) and navigation and music while I monitor my AFR/Fuel Trim...and hence I went with the solution I have
Old 12-20-2012, 06:28 AM
3rd Gear

I have base TL non-Nav.
I'm lookin at w/navi climate unit online and it has same two harnesses as base model climate part. But navi climate type is missing fan speed control because it is designed to be changed using original touch navi screen as most of you know. My problem is how to make climate fan control work, if I dont want to install navigation unit. Hope I make sense, Anyone knows how would this work?
Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
the fan speed is controlled by the temperature. just increase or decrease the temperature to change the fan speed.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
man im so doin this...cant wait
Old 01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WBA-01, Torque looks cool. I've been meaning to try some of the car apps. I will try that one. Thanks
Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
gold_tl

hey im curious what app do you guys use to edit the splash screen on a tablet?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lvlarkeo
That looks hot im looking into doing replacing my oe navi screen with something newer. my navi controls the ac so idk how i would wire everything up.

[IMG][/IMG]
I wouldnt bother doin this mod since you got a double din
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Instructor

i just picked up the navi bezel ...$15 at the junk yard ..but debating on keeping it
Old 01-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

That's a good price. I paid 50 for mine shipped. They left the sunroof and cruise buttons in though so that's a bonus.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
Instructor

That's a good price. I paid 50 for mine shipped. They left the sunroof and cruise buttons in though so that's a bonus.
nice mine came with the hazard and fog light button
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM
..PRAXIS..

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
This is dope!! WBA-01 I like how you kept the OEM head unit.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Advanced

Where can I get an OEM navi bezel for a 2003 TLS?
Old 01-25-2013, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ebay Craigslist junkyard acura dealer online parts seller etc.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Instructor

quick question ...how does it turn on after the screen goes blank after the tablet is sitting long?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Advanced

Just found and ordered a navi bezel and climate control for $85 shipped from Cali to NJ.

Has anyone installed a tablet that is removable?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Powashiftin
Just found and ordered a navi bezel and climate control for $85 shipped from Cali to NJ.

got mine for 45 total
Old 01-29-2013, 11:20 AM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
Originally Posted by Powashiftin

I got mine for 40 shipped, but yes I have an aftermarket Navi that is removable. Check my progress thread for pics.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced

You guys got both items shipped for that price?

Also, I'm looking for a tablet, not just a navi that's removable. Suggestions?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 7 inch Tablet Nav and Internet Mod