Will the rear wheels fit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
well, the only way to learn is to fuck up, right???

at least it has been in my experience....
Well. That or research before careful and metered application. But your way is certainly more fun, I admit.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:13 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
Well. That or research before careful and metered application. But your way is certainly more fun, I admit.
measure once, cut twice???
Old 08-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Alright so the wheels are on with the tires. The tires arrived too late this afternoon so I have to go pick the car up. Only thing they had to modify was putting a spacer on the front so it's at flush with the fender. As far as the differential goes, I called corporate Acura and spoke with their technician there and he said that nothing will be affected. He told me if I'm going to use the car for track racing over long term it may wear out part of the car but I'm not using it for that. He said everyday driving is perfectly fine with the information I gave him

I bought this cheap little intake so I'm wondering how it's going to be. I'm going to throw it on tomorrow also. From what I have seen the cosmo it take for the money is actually quite the bargain for a little performance boost that will make up for the larger tire size being on there

Last edited by cib16waker; 08-19-2016 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added info typo
Old 08-19-2016, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Originally Posted by cib16waker
. From what I have seen the cosmo it take for the money is actually quite the bargain for a little performance boost that will make up for the larger tire size being on there[/I]
Old 08-19-2016, 07:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by thoiboi
It's a small Canadian company. I've watched a few Dino comparisons from a bone-stock Acura TL and I've read a few reviews and it seems pretty good for the money. 1 Dyno on a bone-stock Acura TL got 14 wheel horsepower and 14 foot pounds of torque at the wheels. For 80 bucks to my door you can't be that LOL. If it sucks, I'll get the AEM cai
Old 08-19-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts

did you end up getting hub centric adapters?
Old 08-19-2016, 07:36 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Curious on how much you picked up the RL for.
Wonder if I could get one for like $3k
Old 08-19-2016, 08:04 PM

I've been thinking the same thing. I've seen a few around last weekend and I realized I like the way they look. I especially like the huge headlights, they remind me of Odyssey headlights.

I think the RL would be a fun little beater.

Last edited by cu2wagon; 08-19-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
I like the look of the RL too
Old 08-19-2016, 08:17 PM
Instructor

I got it for 13000 with an extended warranty. 2008 RL with the technology package with 42000 Miles. I killed it at the dealership and got a steal. The mileage for that year is unheard of. Any more smart remarks? Sometimes name brand does not make a difference. A cosmo short ram intake May deliver one or two horsepower less than a $250 at ATM cold air intake. Why would I spend another $172 for 2 horsepower? I think that was an excellent purchase for the money due to how much performance it gives.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
You spec'ed your tires completely wrong because you let a "shop" do the work for you and then you called Acura corporate and got through to their "technician" (who works with the guys in cubicles) who said it would be okay?!

You are so full of shit, I can't take it anymore. You're gonna burn up your transfer case. But you won't learn. The car will start to act funny, and you'll dump it for an Audi, then claim Acura reliability sucks. I'm putting $10 on it.

Go home. You aren't even drunk and you sound like a fool.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-22-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 09:54 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oo7spy
You spec'ed your tires completely wrong because you let a "shop" do the work for you and then you called Acura corporate and got through to their "technician" (who works with the guys in cubicles) who said it would be okay?!

You are so full of shit, I can't take it anymore. You're gonna burn up your transfer case. But you won't learn. The car will start to act funny, and you'll dump it for an Audi, then claim Acura reliability sucks. I'm putting $10 on it.

Go home. You aren't even drunk and you sound like a fool.
I don't understand why you're so negative. How am I full of s***? I called the tire place and I called accurate to make sure they are okay. The tires are not the spec that I stated before due to the fact that I was incorrect. You guys are so negative. This is the most negative Forum that I have ever been on and I talked to a few members outside of the public posting, they all agree that they barely go on here because it is so negative. What are you guys trying to be positive. I think out of all the posts that I put up, only one person has said anything good. This is supposed to be a place where we all can enjoy our cars together and talk about it. Not where we - every single thing about each other's car. If you give me advice and I don't understand what you mean then maybe you can elaborate a little more instead of saying that I'm a Fool. The only one that is a fool as you at the end of the day because you're getting aggressive towards a complete stranger for absolutely no reason.
Anyways, the wheels are on the car and they fit perfectly. No traction control code was thrown and nothing is wrong. The tires are the exact same height so there should be no problems with any type of transfer issue. The width has nothing to do with it so this staggered stance will not do anything harmful.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Fk no!TheyldstroyEvrthing

Received 226 Likes on 191 Posts
The RL was not designed a sports car. it's over two tons. Changing tire specs and making them heavier and wider creates more pressure on various parts of the drive-train. I'm quite an idiot in mechanics but can see the logic in that.

But hey, some on here do wanna see what happens. A transfer case seems to be a couple of hundred. I just hope tranny won't feel anything. Have fun. Do let us know tho. if you succeed, we may just be able to crack our shells. i mean, I dare not put anything else than 5w20 and 245 45 18.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RL09
The RL was not designed a sports car. it's over two tons. Changing tire specs and making them heavier and wider creates more pressure on various parts of the drive-train. I'm quite an idiot in mechanics but can see the logic in that.

But hey, some on here do wanna see what happens. A transfer case seems to be a couple of hundred. I just hope tranny won't feel anything. Have fun. Do let us know tho. if you succeed, we may just be able to crack our shells. i mean, I dare not put anything else than 5w20 and 245 45 18.

No I definitely understand. I just am astonished at how negative people are. You said it in a very nice the way that if you change the specs of a vehicle something a break. Of course anything besides Factory parts may warrant another part failing. That's part of the whole game. When people put anything on the car it might have something else to break. As of right now everything is fine, the tires do not even rub except if I'm on the highway and I hit a big bump. They barely rub. I want to put up pictures but I'm worry there's going to be too much criticism. It's terrible that I have to assume everyone's going to criticize should I post a picture on the website that's designed for us to come together and talk about our cars.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:51 AM

Barely rub?

Ok - i'm not believing anything before I see pictures man.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:08 AM
Instructor

Barely rub?

The only time that they rubbed , was when I was on the highway going 85 and hit a dip and it barely scraped
Old 08-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Instructor

Barely rub?

This is what I'm talking about with the negativity. Why would I lie about a car? Until I've given you a reason not to believe me I don't understand why you would think I'm lying. Always so negative. Well there's your pictures. I'm sure you have something negative to say
Old 08-20-2016, 11:18 AM

it's just the internet. Don't get so defensive and don't worry so much about what others think. All that really matters is that you're happy with what you've done. Well, and I suppose that you're not endangering anyone else by what you're doing too.

I would however suggest you reconsider, to paraphrase, "barely rubbing on the highway, bumps, etc". Because that actually sounds quite unsafe. Things what move a high velocity (angular or otherwise) are not typically intended to contact stationary objects. When that occurs we typically say there has been "an accident".

I would highly recommend getting that interference sorted as soon as possible and avoid situations where you'll experience the rubbing so as to prevent a more severe accident.
RL09 (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 11:20 AM

I'm inclined to believe you now.

Our TacoBello however is the resident tech knowledgeable who's with a piercing fashionista eye for the eccentric.

He's got his pictures. We await.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 AM

This is what I'm talking about with the negativity. Why would I lie about a car? Until I've given you a reason not to believe me I don't understand why you would think I'm lying. Always so negative. Well there's your pictures. I'm sure you have something negative to say
You are correct. I am sorry I doubted you. You seem quite honest with a vested interest in having a cool car. hey we all do.

May I suggest you visit Ramblings? We exchange many good ideas there in more creative fashions than the Year model sections.
Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Instructor

it's just the internet. Don't get so defensive and don't worry so much about what others think. All that really matters is that you're happy with what you've done. Well, and I suppose that you're not endangering anyone else by what you're doing too.

I would however suggest you reconsider, to paraphrase, "barely rubbing on the highway, bumps, etc". Because that actually sounds quite unsafe. Things what move a high velocity (angular or otherwise) are not typically intended to contact stationary objects. When that occurs we typically say there has been "an accident".

Of
I would highly recommend getting that interference sorted as soon as possible and avoid situations where you'll experience the rubbing so as to prevent a more severe accident.
I am going to fix the rubbing this week.besides when i hit a dip at high speeds its great. Doesnt rub around turns or anything. I love the way it turned out, everyone had me very nervous
Old 08-20-2016, 11:30 AM
Instructor

You are correct. I am sorry I doubted you. You seem quite honest with a vested interest in having a cool car. hey we all do.

May I suggest you visit Ramblings? We exchange many good ideas there in more creative fashions than the Year model sections.
I'll check it out for sure
Old 08-20-2016, 12:04 PM

More pics.. the rear is a bit out there

Old 08-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Just remembered, 08 is 17, mmc is 18. So my previous-page post when i recommended a size should be 18, not 19.

Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by teh CL
More pics.. the rear is a bit out there
Yeah the rear is about 3/4 of an inch out ....not bad though ...I'll post more pics when I clean it later

Also I have a question. In regards to the hub Centric adapter why would I need a BMW adapter for these rims? The wheels were after market for the BMW they originally came from. I did notice a slight bit of vibration at high speeds. I want to know how to eliminate that if possible.

Last edited by cib16waker; 08-20-2016 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 08-20-2016, 12:56 PM

Yeah the rear is about 3/4 of an inch out ....not bad though ...I'll post more pics when I clean it later

Also I have a question. In regards to the hub Centric adapter why would I need a BMW adapter for these rims? The wheels were after market for the BMW they originally came from. I did notice a slight bit of vibration at high speeds. I want to know how to eliminate that if possible.

Did the shop install the correct adapters or no?

Vibration could be because the wheels aren't centered on the hub if no or the wrong adapter was used.

Or it could be wheel tire balance.

Or... A number of things.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Did the shop install the correct adapters or no?

Vibration could be because the wheels aren't centered on the hub if no or the wrong adapter was used.

Or it could be wheel tire balance.

Or... A number of things.
The tires were balanced when they were put on. As of right now there is no adapter on the car. I was confused why I would need a BMW with a doctor when the wheels are not BMW and have nothing to do with BMW. They just happened to be on a BMW car. If I were to get Hub Centric adapters what do I look for? I've never even heard of them lol
Old 08-20-2016, 01:14 PM

I'll check it out for sure
U'll also get more empathisers if you use this New Member Introductions - AcuraZine Community and present yourself properly, what u do, any experience with cars, previous ones owned, etc. It goes a long way for added positivity. Ppl relate better to others working in similar fields or having owned similar cars before.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
That's not how it works. Plenty of people lie about cars. We take every new member with a neutral stance and let them make their own impression. You don't start at 100% honest and work your way down to liar.

Your claims are hard to believe and to be completely honest, you strike me as a pathological liar. You can take that as negativity or as feedback. I don't believe you called Acura and talked to a technician. I don't believe that "technician" told you it's okay to run tires 5% different front to back on the RL. I don't believe your tires would have cost $900 new. Should you care if I believe you or not, . That's up to you.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oo7spy
That's not how it works. Plenty of people lie about cars. We take every new member with a neutral stance and let them make their own impression. You don't start at 100% honest and work your way down to liar.

Your claims are hard to believe and to be completely honest, you strike me as a pathological liar. You can take that as negativity or as feedback. I don't believe you called Acura and talked to a technician. I don't believe that "technician" told you it's okay to run tires 5% different front to back on the RL. I don't believe your tires would have cost $900 new. Should you care if I believe you or not, . That's up to you.
You don't believe me the tires or eight hundred and $900? Go look up Nitto 555's that fit a 20 inch rim. They are 500 for the back and 400 for the front shipped to my door. I did not get those tires. As far as making a phone call to Acura? You find it hard to believe that I didn't call them? The tires are 245 35-20 in the front and 285 35-20 in the back. That's the measurement we ended up going with and the Acura technician said it's perfectly fine. Believe what you want but I'm not going to lie about a f****** phone call.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Tire Tech Information - Matching Tires on Four-Wheel Drive & All-Wheel Drive Vehicles

"Four-wheel drive and all-wheel drive vehicles are equipped with additional differentials and/or viscous couplings that are designed to allow momentary differences in wheel speeds when the vehicle turns a corner or temporarily spins a tire. However, if the differentials or viscous couplings are forced to operate 100% of the time because of mismatched tires, they will experience excessive heat and unwarranted wear until they fail."
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
oo7spy (08-20-2016), pcloadletter (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I'm inclined to believe you now.

Our TacoBello however is the resident tech knowledgeable who's with a piercing fashionista eye for the eccentric.

He's got his pictures. We await.
Wait, how the fuck did I get dragged into this?

and what the fuck did you just say?

all i understood from your post is that you have a "penchant fashion for jizz"
Old 08-20-2016, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Short ram intakes, like the Cosmo shown above, are known to lose power as they pull in hot air from the engine bay. The stock system is actually a well designed cold air intake.
oo7spy (08-20-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 PM

How did you dragged into this?

Originally Posted by TacoBello
please space your paragraphs!

anyway, well, it sounds like you're on the right track. I myself wouldn't worry about engine mods. Sounds like you're going more for a VIP look, so engine mods aren't overly necessary.

As as for the wheel fitment, you may have to be a pioneer in this area. There might be some members with wheels that big, but if you can't come across any, you'll have to just try. At the end of the day, if they don't fit, you can sell them for what you paid. It may take some time to get rid of them, but such is life.

Since the the car is AWD, I see no issues with running a staggered setup. I'm curious to see how all of this pans out. It could end up looking great.
Snap a few pics, whether they fit or not!
Pics of the wheels ON the car!!!
fuck yeah. Looking forward to updates!

What I said is you're among the best equipped on here to give an opinion on those newly posted pictures. Meaning you have good taste.
TacoBello (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 07:27 PM

I don't know what TF just happens but I lawl!
TacoBello (08-21-2016)
Old 08-20-2016, 07:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by pcloadletter
Short ram intakes, like the Cosmo shown above, are known to lose power as they pull in hot air from the engine bay. The stock system is actually a well designed cold air intake.
I agree and aware, but short ram sounds cool
Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 AM

It's not a BMW adapter, it's just an adapter to get rid of the extra space between the hub on the car and opening on the wheel. Check this out Why you should use the Hub Centric Rings? - HubCentric-Rings.com

Since they were originally on a BMW the hub opening is already bigger than ours. The hub size for that BMW and most newer ones are 72.5mm, the RL if I remember correctly is 64.1mm. That's a noticeable difference and sketch as fuck if your driving around since it's putting unecessary pressure on your wheel studs..

You can get them pretty easily and usually 20 bucks for a set of 4. I'd suggest not driving the car and get it done ASAP. Oh and find a new tire guy/friend
RL09 (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:23 AM

I'm a bit surprised the Acura Technician wouldn't have said anything about properly sized adapters, actually.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:34 AM
Instructor

It's not a BMW adapter, it's just an adapter to get rid of the extra space between the hub on the car and opening on the wheel. Check this out Why you should use the Hub Centric Rings? - HubCentric-Rings.com

Since they were originally on a BMW the hub opening is already bigger than ours. The hub size for that BMW and most newer ones are 72.5mm, the RL if I remember correctly is 64.1mm. That's a noticeable difference and sketch as fuck if your driving around since it's putting unecessary pressure on your wheel studs..

You can get them pretty easily and usually 20 bucks for a set of 4. I'd suggest not driving the car and get it done ASAP. Oh and find a new tire guy/friend
Thanks for the info, I'm going to go find them today. Do I just measure the bore of the rim hub and subtract it from the bore on the acura?
Old 08-21-2016, 09:36 AM
Instructor

I'm a bit surprised the Acura Technician wouldn't have said anything about properly sized adapters, actually.
Me too honestly...I didn't ask though I don't think.

Quick Reply: Will the rear wheels fit?