RLs2k's 08 RL

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:08 AM
10th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
RLs2k's 08 RL

Been getting a few pm's about my wheel fitment and also the roof rack so I figure I'll make a slow build thread for my RL. This is my daily so I'm going for a clean, simple, modest look.

Picked up a set of Acura MDX Advance wheels (19x8.5 +45 and I'm running 245/40/19). I got a deal on these from craigslist. Guy was selling them after buying a new MDX and he had dealer install aftermarket wheels he bought, so these had 0 miles on them . These do not clear front calipers and I ran a 8mm spacer to fix that. You probably could run a 7mm but it would be really close. Also have a 12mm spacer in the back. Car sitting on oem shocks (non a-spec) with H&R springs. *FWIW: These wheels cannot use the RL wheel lug nuts, so I bought a set of MDX lug nut from Acura. Now that I'm running spacers, I also change out the wheel studs out for extended ones. Before changing to extended studs the front wheel with the 8mm spacer was only getting about 5 complete turns if I remember correctly. Thanks to JDMCRX for sourcing these studs (m14x1.5 x 55mm)

New studs and 8mm spacer

New studs with 12mm spacer

Only good side shot I have. Of course someone parked next to me in the back of the parking lot lol. I plasti-dipped the center grill as well.

Here some quick shots of my rack. I took a chance getting these since I had a hard time finding any pics or info of an RL with a rack setup. Hopefully this gives some of you an idea:

snow snow snow nomnomnomnom. Snow tires on stock wheels to keep the MDX wheels minty fresh.

Before I installed them I put clear bra on the car under each base plate to prevent any possible damage from happening. I bought a universal roof rack off ebay. In the kit it has 3 different base plates to pick from for the best fit. Luckily one of them worked and I then matched it with a universal Thule snow carrier. The roof rack was about $50 and then the Thule was another $120. I may look for a way to add a fairing but I'm pretty satisfied for now.

Also picked up a few LEDs from VLED. Reverse, Fog Lights, and license plate. A fog light retro will happen eventually but my other car has more projects to tackle first. The LED fog lights look good and give a nice white, but it is not nearly as bright from the stock bulbs which I figured would happen.

Next on the list will probably some rain guards and possibly roof spoiler. Any input or questions feel free to ask
The following 3 users liked this post by RLs2k:
djkurious (01-16-2015), knv8 (01-16-2015), oo7spy (01-16-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 03:08 AM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts
Looks good. Yakima had a set for our car and 58in fairing is what they suggested. I got that set up and the bars itself pokes out more then what I have so maybe a bit smaller fairing would work better? Hope it helps. And welcome!
Old 01-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you have to cone out the inner side of the brake rotor stud holes like JDMCRX mentioned over in the TL thread?

I'm having my shop do basically the same wheel job as you did (with 10mm spacers all around) next Tuesday and am wondering if that is actually going to be a problem.
Old 01-16-2015, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Awesome.

I'm going to put this in the photo gallery with all the other build threads.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by brinox
Did you have to cone out the inner side of the brake rotor stud holes like JDMCRX mentioned over in the TL thread?

I'm having my shop do basically the same wheel job as you did (with 10mm spacers all around) next Tuesday and am wondering if that is actually going to be a problem.
Yes you do have to drill them out, only a little bit though. It shouldnt be a problem for the shop to do.
The following users liked this post:
brinox (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015, 05:37 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I guess I'll wait to hear what my shop has to say tomorrow