XM signal very spotty nowadays, replace?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:00 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
XM signal very spotty nowadays, replace?

Did a search came up short

my XM signal has been very spotty it has been losing signal more often than it already has I am not sure if this is a common issue

anyone have a solved issue to increase or fix the xM going out so often? I listen to a lot of news and it's always going spotty on me even when I'm in clear open range

replace antenna?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Racer

anything?

if I was to replace the antenna unit from the roof could that repair or improve on any lost signal being used over the years?
Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
This thread might be of help?

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-a...annels-951822/

If it is a similar issue, I've experience intermittent XM issues on clear days as described in that thread:

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I've had similar issues with my XM but they are so far and few in between that I wouldn't even call it an issue per say. What's funny is if you look thru service logs for the first owner, on two occasions he complained of a generic XM satellite issue that the dealer was never able to replicate. Ironically enough, I'll have an issue that never seems to replicate either where out of the blues XM will cut in and out for a few seconds on a perfectly clear day when the sun is out, and it only happens after I drove the car for a period of time. The number of times I've had it happen to me in my almost 5 years as owner, I can honestly count on two hands which is why I never really cared to address it and just chalked it up to local satellite reception.
​​​​​​​
Old 01-02-2017, 10:40 AM
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts
I am still having the same issue. It is inconsistent and very annoying.

My personal opinion is this is not a car related issue. I am assuming SiriusXM is having an issue with coverage in the North East but they will never admit it.

Last edited by beekermartin; 01-02-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Racer

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...tenna,950537,6

could this maybe solve the issue?

Signal is is spotty and fragile I lose signal over nonsense
Old 01-03-2017, 12:07 PM

It's worth a shot, I found two used ones for sale as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121927507336?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
https://ahparts.com/buy-used/2005-Ac...SJAA01/41972-1
Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM
Racer

Sirius XM Sportster High Gain Magnetic Car Antenna - NGVA3 (New) | eBay

could this work on my RL?

"Compatible with all radios and vehicle docks that work on the Sirius and XM networks with push on style, single input"
Old 01-03-2017, 08:01 PM

I've used those types of antennas, I don't think it would be compatible with our radio system. I've seen them used in aftermarket GPS headunits... At 20$, I would be more inclined to go with the used OEM option.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:49 PM
Pro

If you replace the antenna please let us know the results. If it fixes the issue I will replace mine as well.

This morning I had a great signal for an hour drive in the rain while listen to Howard Stern (channel 100). For some reason I have more issues with the stations you have to pay extra for on XM. Howard originally signed with Sirius so if you have a Sirius factory tuner the subscription was cheaper with Sirius than XM. If you want Howard and the comedy stations with XM the subscription is more expensive. My theory is that those channel are probably broadcast over the original Sirius satellites. When the signal on channel 100 isn't working I can switch to a music station and they work fine. I always had excellent reception with all my Sirius tuners in the North East. XM has always had much worse reception and I have driven hundreds of cars with factory XM because I work in the car business. Why I am having more issues listening to the premium channels versus the music stations I can't answer for sure. That does lead me to believe the issue is not antenna related though but rather signal quality which is a SiriusXM issue.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:30 AM
Pro

Did you ever replace the antenna OP? I recently bought a 2007 MDX and I haven't any issues with XM on that. That throws my diagnosis of poor signal quality in RI out the window.

I still find it very odd why some channels come in almost 100% of the time and then others don't. This is a very odd issue. I hope one day I find out what is causing it and I can fix it.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:19 PM
Racer

I havent done it I wish to still do it but havent yet

XM wa always spotty even on my new cars but after 12+ years since its debut I would think the replacement would be beneficial
Old 04-15-2017, 11:53 PM
Pro

Any updates? I signed back up for XM yesterday and it immediately reminded me of why I let it lapse. Certain channels like 100, 47, etc. randomly have horrible signal quality. Yet when they have no signal I can switch to 26, 32, 34, 37, 42, etc and they all work fine.

Maybe this is an antenna issue but if that was the case wouldn't the signal suck with all channels?
Old 04-16-2017, 08:09 AM

It's funny you revive this thread now, I recently have been noticing reception issues with only specific channels. Seems to be northeast US channels exlusively.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:57 AM
Pro

I recently renewed my subscription with XM and I am still having the same issue. I am still having issues with certain channels, 100, 47, and others. I can be listening to channel 26 switch to 100 and it won't work. Switch back to 26 and it works perfectly.

Sometimes if i leave it on channel 100 with no signal for a minute or so it will switch to channel 001, preview channel. If I then change the channel about a minute later it will switch back to channel 001. This will continue every minute or so until I turn the car off and restart.

This is leading me to believe that the issue is with the XM tuner and not the antenna. I don't want to just start replacing parts without knowing for sure what the problem is. Trying to find the answer to such an unusual problem may not be easy.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:08 AM

I think I might have a spare XM module in my electronics box. I can ship it out to you and if it works, pay me what you think it's worth. If not, you can just ship it back to me.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Pro

I think I might have a spare XM module in my electronics box. I can ship it out to you and if it works, pay me what you think it's worth. If not, you can just ship it back to me.
I appreciate the offer. I found one on Ebay today for $40. I was thinking about ordering it to see if that fixes it. I emailed XM today about the problem and I am waiting for a response. I doubt they will have an answer for the issue other than go to the Acura dealer. Unfortunately this problem is so unique I doubt anyone would know what to do other than start throwing parts at it. 05 06 ACURA RL 39820-SJA-A05 RADIO AUDIO XM SATELLITE UNIT MODULE L2241 | eBay

If you are willing to mail it out to me to try I will send you the shipping money. If it doesn't fix the issue I will ship it back. If it does fix the issue we can discuss what I owe you for it.

I assume the XM radio id is specific to the module?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by beekermartin
I appreciate the offer. I found one on Ebay today for $40. I was thinking about ordering it to see if that fixes it. I emailed XM today about the problem and I am waiting for a response. I doubt they will have an answer for the issue other than go to the Acura dealer. Unfortunately this problem is so unique I doubt anyone would know what to do other than start throwing parts at it. 05 06 ACURA RL 39820-SJA-A05 RADIO AUDIO XM SATELLITE UNIT MODULE L2241 eBay

If you are willing to mail it out to me to try I will send you the shipping money. If it doesn't fix the issue I will ship it back. If it does fix the issue we can discuss what I owe you for it.

I assume the XM radio id is specific to the module?
Yup, definitely the same module in the trunk I pulled. That seems fair to me, PM me an address and I'll let you know how much it is to ship it That's a good question to be honest, I'm not sure if it ties into the headunit or the XM module, I'd assume the XM module. I know you work at a Honda(?) dealer, is this something one of the techs might know?

Name:  DSC_1359_zpsf60vmo9g.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  193.1 KB
Old 04-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Pro

Yup, definitely the same module in the trunk I pulled. That seems fair to me, PM me an address and I'll let you know how much it is to ship it That's a good question to be honest, I'm not sure if it ties into the headunit or the XM module, I'd assume the XM module. I know you work at a Honda(?) dealer, is this something one of the techs might know?

Sorry for the delay. I will ask the techs here but I doubt they will know. Problems like this that are rare are so hard to diagnose. I imagine most people that are way out of warranty like me just live with it or cancel XM. There is a tech either at XM or Honda somewhere that knows the answer but good like finding that person.

I'll send you a PM with my address. Send me your PayPal email after you ship it and let me know how much I owe you. Thanks!

Of course I will be sure to let you know the results and post them here.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Pro

I installed the XM module projektvertx sent me. The radio id is part of the module so I had to call XM to switch it over. They wanted to charge me ~$16 to switch it. I talked with a supervisor and explained the situation and they agreed to swap it for free. I am going to test it out over the next few days to see if the problem is fixed.

Something interesting happened after I installed the new to me module. I had the car running outside of my work while the radio was activating. When I got back in the car I had message on the screen saying a new bluetooth phone had been found and if I wanted to pair it. I don't remember ever seeing that message before. My phone was still paired and it was the only one. I deleted it and paired it again just to be safe. I don't know if the XM module has anything to do with the bluetooth. I found it interesting so I figured I would mention it.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (04-29-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Pro

The new to me XM module appears to have fixed the issue! I drove ~200 miles since I installed it. When I do lose the signal on channel 100 I also lose it on all channels. That is when there is something blocking like trees. Today I drove for ~35 miles with dense fog and mist. I only lost the signal for a few seconds once. When that happened I switched from channel 100 to a station that use to work, 26, when I would lose signal on 100. That station was also not working for those few seconds. When it came back on I switched back to 100 and it was working. That is normal of course.

So it appears the replacing the XM module has corrected the problem for me. If someone else has this issue I would recommend replacing the module first since it very easy to do. Calling XM to switch the radio id is the most painful part.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (05-01-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:17 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
just disconnect the xm module and replace with Grom usb and bluetooth adapter so you can stream pandora from your phone
sat radio quality is very much crap compared to pretty much anything
their bitrate is so low that everything sounds like cheap fisher price boombox
Old 05-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzysig

lmfao.......
Old 05-03-2017, 10:40 AM
Pro

just disconnect the xm module and replace with Grom usb and bluetooth adapter so you can stream pandora from your phone
sat radio quality is very much crap compared to pretty much anything
I mainly have SiriusXM for Howard Stern. I will say the music sound quality is not anywhere near as bad as your describing. Is it as good as a high resolution audio file, no. Of course not. Maybe Pandora offers high bit rate if you sign up with them. I have found the regular free Pandora doesn't sound any better than SiriusXM.

Regardless this thread is about issues with SiriusXM not the audio quality.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Pro

I've been driving it for a week since replacing the XM module with the new to me module. It has been working perfectly besides the normal few second drop outs caused by sky coverage. There was rain and fog the last two days in RI and still no issues. Needless to say replacing the module fixed the issue for me.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
nice
i was considering satellite for some time but could never get used to the low bitrate
then hd radio came around and then unlimited pandora on tmobile so i just got that instead
the pandora has bitrate selection in settings btw
one benefit of satellite is still somewhat more stable reception outside of towns but thats changing quickly with more cellphone data coverage
Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 PM

nice
i was considering satellite for some time but could never get used to the low bitrate
then hd radio came around and then unlimited pandora on tmobile so i just got that instead
the pandora has bitrate selection in settings btw
one benefit of satellite is still somewhat more stable reception outside of towns but thats changing quickly with more cellphone data coverage
Yup, with truly unlimited plans and with how solid high speed networks are nowadays, Xm might see their sales go down unless they change their strategy.

I'm glad it solved the problem for OP tho!
Old 05-06-2017, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
so the XM module does go bad over time.