I-051: Remote Start

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Florida TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I-051: Remote Start

Does anyone have a recommendation on where to buy a remote start for a 2006 RL? Thank you
Old 11-10-2010, 01:12 PM
im baaaack!!

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
I was told it wasn't possible to get remote start being that mostly all aftermarket remote start system require you to have the second key(in our case key fob) in a strong box so it can bypass the immobilizer. If we did that someone could just get in and go!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
3rd Gear

I have 2005 RL. I had Viper Smart Start installed locally. It works great on our Iphone and Android for most of the time. As T-jay said you have to have the 2nd key ( NOT THE FOB) physically present in the vehicle. Other than the guy who installed it, nobody would know the physical location of the key. Without the fob, no one can drive the vehicle unless they know the location of key. Overall I am pretty happy as I live in very cold midwest.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So there is no remote starter offered by Acura for the 06 RL??? My mother would love to have one in the RL.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:37 AM
AM Flakes still Drippin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I believe installers now can install some sort of bypass which mimics a second key. I had this done on my 2nd gen TL. They take your current key to copy the code onto the bypass. I'm certainly not an expert and correct me if I am wrong.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Instructor

I dont understand how my mothers 06 Infiniti G35x sedan had a remote starter that worked from the factory remote and she had keyless starts system like our car. all she did was hit the lock button twice and the car would start. Why cant the RL have this?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

there is a buy pass module for out car and does not require a key. PK-ALL --- i am installing a Viper 4203v.
Old 12-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Do we still need both keys? I cant locate the other key. somewhere in the house..
Does the car shut off when the door is opened still?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Can the stock remote be programmed to start the car or does there have to be a seperate remote?
Old 12-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
you can have them program it so if you lock your doors 2x or 3x it will start. up to you. i rather do that then carry multiple fobs
Old 12-04-2010, 08:57 AM
Instructor

i need this done ASAP
Old 12-14-2010, 04:18 PM
2nd Gear

if you in the dc area pm me. it can be done.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
While you are drinking coffee, before you go to work, you could get your wife/girlfriend to go out in the snow and start the car for you. This would save hundreds of dollars and she would feel better for having done something nice for you before you leave for a rough day at the office. Your secretary could return the favor for the return trip.
This suggestion is purely for economic reasons and it may not work for all participants!
Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
While you are drinking coffee, before you go to work, you could get your wife/girlfriend to go out in the snow and start the car for you. This would save hundreds of dollars and she would feel better for having done something nice for you before you leave for a rough day at the office. Your secretary could return the favor for the return trip.
This suggestion is purely for economic reasons and it may not work for all participants!
lol my girlfriend already does this for me. I leave for work 30 mins after she does, so she just starts my car.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by scottycruz
lol my girlfriend already does this for me. I leave for work 30 mins after she does, so she just starts my car.
But some of them are harder to train, you are lucky.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01 AM
7th Gear

Question

Originally Posted by vletnguyen
you can have them program it so if you lock your doors 2x or 3x it will start. up to you. i rather do that then carry multiple fobs
Are you saying that the factory fob can be programmed to start the car remotely? Or are you suggesting that the Viper one can be programmed by Best Buy or whomever installs it?
Old 12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Spoke to Best buy today, about $250 quote to get it installed in my 2006 RL. Does require another keyfob (it was tiny and about 1/3 the size, with one button). To me that's not a deal killer cos' I rarely carry the fob on its own, already got two on there (my wife's keyfob and mine) with house keys and all so no big deal.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Instructor

no way to program the OEM keyfob like infiniti does?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
i thought of this myself. but my car warms up pretty quick. and i have one of those wife's that loves to help me out too...

she will turn my car on and lock it. and then i leave car is warm... saved 400 bucks...
Old 11-12-2014, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remote Start in 2009+ RL

Hi guys. I have a 2010 RL w/Tech. I've done some digging on this forum and read up about people's luck (or lack thereof) in getting Remote Starters installed in their RL's. From what I've read, no Acura OEM system will work in the 2005-2008 RLs, but the following posts suggest that there may be an OEM solution for the 2009+ RL although there is definitely NOT one for the 2005-2008 RL. It looks like the OEM remote start system found in the MDX and other Acura cars requires that the engine stop when you open the door and then you have to start the car again. I'm okay with this restriction as I'd rather have the "more secure" OEM design over an aftermarket system that completely bypasses and potentially jeopardizes the complex security and computer systems that are already in the car and relies on an installer to perform the bypass "correctly".

Anyone have any guidance or an official answer on an OEM Acura Remote Start part # that will work with the 2010 RL?

Relevant threads linked below:
Remote Starter?
does 05 acura rl come with auto start?
Remote Start
Remote Starter for RL

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
I'm hoping to add an "OEM" remote starter to my RL pretty soon here.

The new Viper digital systems offer a feature that will work with your remote fob. Hit the lock button 3 times and viola! remotely started.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Nersh7
I'm hoping to add an "OEM" remote starter to my RL pretty soon here.

The new Viper digital systems offer a feature that will work with your remote fob. Hit the lock button 3 times and viola! remotely started.
Oh that would be great. Which model is that specifically ?
Old 11-14-2014, 12:28 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

There's a number of different models that do it.

Directed - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Telematics | Keyless Entry | GPS | Vehicle Security | Window Tint | Remote Start | Window Film
Old 11-17-2014, 10:35 AM
4th Gear

How involved is installation of one of these Viper systems? I'm not dead-set on using the Acura fob, I just want whatever system will be least intrusive to the existing keyless entry/alarm system to install. If the Acura OEM model for the ZDX/TSX/TL could be retrofitted to work with the RL, I'd rather go with all OEM in the event of future issues with the keyless system that may require dealer service.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:47 PM
I Drive Like A Dick 8≈

I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself. You should go to a local shop that has good reviews in terms of car starters because they can damage computers if installed incorrectly.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 AM
3rd Gear

I just had a compustar drone installed into my 08 RL. has range anywhere your cell phone and vehicle have service and you don't need to haul around any additional remotes or anything. if the install is done correctly the keyless access system will function as it is supposed to. just walk up to car when running, get in, turn ignition to on and drive away
Old 11-19-2014, 08:33 AM
3rd Gear

any of the factory acura command starts seem to have VERY poor range compared to a decent aftermarket
Old 12-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by del_slo
I just had a compustar drone installed into my 08 RL. has range anywhere your cell phone and vehicle have service and you don't need to haul around any additional remotes or anything. if the install is done correctly the keyless access system will function as it is supposed to. just walk up to car when running, get in, turn ignition to on and drive away
Sorry for bringing up an old thread. I was thinking of getting this for my '09 Acura RL. Would compustar drone work for my car?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
If it works for '08, then yes. The keyless access system is the same.
The following users liked this post:
samichicago (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Was about to start same thread.
I looked at few options.. right now have trigger on advanced keys system. For some reason I prefered it over viper. Forgot why. Was researching few weeks ago
Advanced Keys - Products

Edit. Just remembered. With advanced keys doors open automatically when u are 2 ft or so near the car. Both viper and advanced I believe have push button option. U need to sacrifice one of the keys though. Both have remote start. Forgot about GPS location features. In case car is stOllen u can find it on your phone, call cops .. don't forget to ask them to shoot the thief when he is outside the car. Its a luxury car interior after all. Cleaning brains out can be annoying

Last edited by MrVtech; 12-09-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
I have a Viper Smartstart and I didn't have to sacrifice a key at all. One caveat with the smartstart: If you start using the app, you have lock and unlock using the app since the keyless access becomes disabled.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by projektvertx
I have a Viper Smartstart and I didn't have to sacrifice a key at all. One caveat with the smartstart: If you start using the app, you have lock and unlock using the app since the keyless access becomes disabled.
interesting. I am not familiar with viper. Can u look up your car on your phone by gps? Is there automatic door unlock feature when u are say 2 feet away? I really like the idea of not looking for keys just sit and drive.

So when u start the car remotely from your phone. . Then to shut the car off u need to use your phone?
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

We recently acquired a 2013 Pilot Touring which has 80% of the exact same technology the 2G RL had. The previous owner installed a Viper system, and I am less than thrilled about it. It mostly works, but not all features are seamless.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Intermediate

I've done research on both Viper Smart start and Drone Mobile. Monthly plans for viper is cheaper but from what I've read, I think Drone Mobile is the way to go. Unless someone can suggest another product to look into?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by MrVtech
interesting. I am not familiar with viper. Can u look up your car on your phone by gps? Is there automatic door unlock feature when u are say 2 feet away? I really like the idea of not looking for keys just sit and drive.

So when u start the car remotely from your phone. . Then to shut the car off u need to use your phone?
I got my smartstart installed by a large shop in the Chicagoland area (ABT electronics), I wanted somewhere I knew would not shut down, would offer me plenty of support if something went wrong and would stand behind their installation. Despite being open for as long as they have, mine was the first ever RL they installed the smartstart system on, but the installer I asked for had prior experience on Acura models. He had installed a remote start on an RL but never the smartstart.

I opted for the non-gps model since the gps functionality is not very useful to me... I'm essentially the sole driver of the car, I don't really forget where I park, I rarely park the car on the street when I go anywhere and when it gets parked at home it's in a garage. I find it hard to justify the extra monthly cost associated with the GPS model. But that's my personal justification, you might find yourself needing the GPS model. Unfortunately, I loose all fob functionality from the factory Acura fob once I start the car using the app (non permanent loss of function). I can still use the fob provided by viper to lock/unlock/turn off the car, but the factory fob bricks once you use the app. So essentially you have to unlock/lock and remote start/remote turn off using the fob or app. Once I step in the car, it works like a traditional remote start system: I just turn the key to on and put my foot on the brake pedal and I'm on my way. Acura fob then takes over. Hope that helps, I know I had a lot of questions when I first installed it! Here is the unit I got installed:

http://www.abt.com/product/93389/Viper-SmartStart-Module-CDMA-VSM300.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&utm_ca mpaign=VSM300&camptype=cpcUSGooglePLA&kwid=product ads-adid^77416723924-device^c-plaid^285807086354-sku^93389-adType^PLA

Originally Posted by oo7spy
We recently acquired a 2013 Pilot Touring which has 80% of the exact same technology the 2G RL had. The previous owner installed a Viper system, and I am less than thrilled about it. It mostly works, but not all features are seamless.
I'm not sure which system you have Bond, but I can't say I'm entirely surprised to be honest... I really wish Honda/Acura had some form of smartphone support on their newer vehicles like GM's Remotelink or Ford's Remote Access.
The following users liked this post:
oo7spy (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:20 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by projektvertx
I got my smartstart installed by a large shop in the Chicagoland area (ABT electronics), I wanted somewhere I knew would not shut down, would offer me plenty of support if something went wrong and would stand behind their installation. Despite being open for as long as they have, mine was the first ever RL they installed the smartstart system on, but the installer I asked for had prior experience on Acura models. He had installed a remote start on an RL but never the smartstart.

I opted for the non-gps model since the gps functionality is not very useful to me... I'm essentially the sole driver of the car, I don't really forget where I park, I rarely park the car on the street when I go anywhere and when it gets parked at home it's in a garage. I find it hard to justify the extra monthly cost associated with the GPS model. But that's my personal justification, you might find yourself needing the GPS model. Unfortunately, I loose all fob functionality from the factory Acura fob once I start the car using the app (non permanent loss of function). I can still use the fob provided by viper to lock/unlock/turn off the car, but the factory fob bricks once you use the app. So essentially you have to unlock/lock and remote start/remote turn off using the fob or app. Once I step in the car, it works like a traditional remote start system: I just turn the key to on and put my foot on the brake pedal and I'm on my way. Acura fob then takes over. Hope that helps, I know I had a lot of questions when I first installed it! Here is the unit I got installed:

http://www.abt.com/product/93389/Viper-SmartStart-Module-CDMA-VSM300.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&utm_ca mpaign=VSM300&camptype=cpcUSGooglePLA&kwid=product ads-adid^77416723924-device^c-plaid^285807086354-sku^93389-adType^PLA

I'm not sure which system you have Bond, but I can't say I'm entirely surprised to be honest... I really wish Honda/Acura had some form of smartphone support on their newer vehicles like GM's Remotelink or Ford's Remote Access.
I might check out ABT Electronics. Which location did you go to?
Old 12-10-2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by samichicago
I might check out ABT Electronics. Which location did you go to?
ABT has a single retail outlet in Glenview.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Senior Moderator

I don't know what model we have, but I don't believe there is any app interface for it. My only gripes are:

1) I can't disable the alarm after manually unlocking the door with the system set. I believe I know where the valet button is, but no number of pushes I give it turns off the alarm (instructions per Viper support website). I'll probably figure it out eventually and this will be moot, but it's hindered my wife twice now trying to get somewhere with the spare key.
2) Unlocking with the Viper fob seems to mess with the driver settings. Again, this may be user error which I can learn along the way.

I like that the car has remote start, and the lock/unlock acknowledge is preferable to Honda's. It's just that I'm not completely sold on it. Although, who knows how different that would be if I had been the one to buy it and have it installed.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:17 PM
Snoozabelle

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
I just had a Compustar installed in my 2014 RDX with no problems and had the same installer put one in my 2011 RL, again with no problems. I do not use my phone for any functions but could have sprung for it if I wanted. Never had a problem with either one. Works great every time.
The following 2 users liked this post by snoozabelle:
bluetl04 (01-14-2017), oo7spy (12-17-2016)
Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 AM
Advanced

2019 update

so as of now... is the remote start an option? i did check the links which are older and its alot of back and forth about yes with problems and no... im confused.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I-051: Remote Start