How to Renew Your XM Radio for $77 a year.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Well I just called in to cancel my XM service, playing the game as usual. They gave me a run around when I said it was just too expensive for the what the service offers, yada yada. A couple transfers later, 15 minutes on hold, and one hang up on their part, I get someone that tells me I never had the $77 deal on my account - BS. I had to explain I've got two radio's on my account and I had always prepaid both at that rate every year. They still didn't believe me, but reluctantly gave me the trial price again for both radios after a "supervisor" approved it. They went on to tell me that next year they won't give me that deal again and made a note on my account, at which point I said at that time I won't be a customer after that. I'll play the game again then too.

This is the third time I had to do this. They come off so arrogant every time, but if you feint just a little reluctance in canceling they'll try to give you some kind of a package deal at a lower price. Stick to your guns on the 77$ deal, and actually cancel if you have to. They'll try to tell you how that deal is no longer valid, etc. Worst case call back in a few months after canceling, they'll try to get you back under some new customer promo deal.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just called to cancel (for the 5th year) and they offered me one year at half which comes out to around $94 (which includes the various fees). I asked if they had any other offers. He said he would check with his super. He came back a minute later and said he could give me a year for $75 with all fees included. This was for just their regular XM radio service. I love this thread!
Old 03-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 146 Posts
I have not had XM for a year or so. The main thing I liked to use it for was listening to it when I go to work and leave work. Then I could sample some of the Trance and Dance music, and then go find the ones I like on the net. The other thing I liked was when I would go out of town, I could listen to b.s. news commentaries and bad financial advice... But now, I walk to work and I only go out of town once ina while and seldom board enough to listen to bad advice, so I allowed it to expire. But here is something interesting about it though.. A friend of mine got in the car with me about 6 months ago and the subject of XM came up, and I said I don't have the service now.. He said you don't? Then I just "off the cuff" said "it's just another drug". See, I felt the pull to renew, like most guys do. But I resisted (I think their prices are too high for mass distribution) and then I had about 2 months worth of withdraw and then it became easier for me. So, I inadvertantly and instantly without even thinking said "it's just another drug".. Then I thought about what I said.. and I was like.. wow.. It is that bad I think. Remember the old timers who didn't want their children listening to that music? Like in the movie Footloose? And others too.. I think the music is Coercive.. Even though I don't plan on bailing on all my music an time soon, and I may even pic up XM once again in the future when I start driving to work, but it's interesting to see the contrast of having XM and not having it. It really is addictive. Like a drug. But you'll get over it. haha

Last edited by Chad05TL; 03-18-2012 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:06 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I said eff it and got a nice deal on the XM select lifetime plan for $700 before fees. i plan on having my RL for quite a long time so it makes more sense than trying to play the game with their customer service every year. its "not available" anymore, but the supers have allowed the CSR to offer it to me a few times in the past few weeks.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
That's a great idea, but from what I understand is its the lifetime of that XM serial number and it wont transfer... that was a turn off for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Have two XM radios, one in the RL with traffic and and add-on in the MDX. Got a renewal notice in the mail the other day. I called yesterday to see what promotions they had since "I don't drive much and the service wasn't worth it to me at full price." They offered half price (same as they offered when I called in March - looks like the $77 promotion is gone).

I agreed but when I went to add the traffic, they told me the promotion does not include the traffic and I could only renew (radio and traffic both) at full price. I was willing to pay full price for the traffic ($3.95/month - always have) but not the radio as I felt it was absurd that I lose a promotion because I want to add a service. Sorry, nothing I can do. Told them thanks, but no thanks. Had them take my credit card off the account so it couldn't automatically be renewed and told them I'll just let my subscription run out next month.

Got a call from Wally (regional supervisor) this evening. Yes, we'll give you the promotion and let you add the traffic, which is all I asked from the beginning. Was a pain, but I'm good for another year.

LL
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got them to give me a free three month trial on the 05 RL that I just got. I thought that was a nice lengthy trial. On the way home today, I enjoyed the electronic music categories and 165 talk which carries my favorite shows from Orlando that I miss. I guess I'll wait till it's almost gone and then call and tell them to cancel, although they don't have my credit card information, and then do what you guys did. I think my 05 supports the traffic feature, but I don't have to have that, but would like it. The weather would be cool, but I think that's 09 and up.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Racer

OK, I think my trial is up in early July, Do I call to ask about signing up for a discounted rate or do I need to call and act like I am cancelling, which I will if I have to pay more than $100 a year. What kind of deals have you guys been getting lately. I like the content but there is no alternative news (GCN,RBN) and the sound quality is worse than FM in many cases and acceptable at best. And you can't drive through wooded areas without many dropouts.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
I went through this for the second time last September. The first time I went after the promo rate as this thread mentioned, worked like a charm with no hassles at all. When I tried again last September they balked at every attempt. Called back a couple times, no dice. When I threatened to cancel they simply said they would be happy to help cancel the service. On my third attempt, ready to cancel if I had to, they cut me a deal for $92 per radio (I have two) and no extras at all. They went on to say they documented my discounted rate and that next year I would have to pay the full retail price, no more discounts. I said that's fine, I'll cancel at that time then.

For me the selection and audio quality are good enough to keep it when I get a discounted rate. They have a monopoly now so until there is competition (Pandora? Other?) they've got you if you really want the service.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:38 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I let mine expire then renew when they send me "the letter" for 6 months for $25(without traffic). My drive to work is only 20 minutes so I can't justify full price, but I think $50 a year is fair. The phone number on the letter was 1-855-292-5570. I'm going to call at the end of June. You have to give them your credit card number and agree to renew at the then current price at the end of the 6 months. To avoid paying the full renewal price, I call them the day before the automatic renewal would begin and cancel.Sometimes they will give the same deal, other times they won't. If they won't renew at the same price I cancel then wait for the letter to come in the mail.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
I just called and got tired of talking to broken english.. (sad because english is not my first language either and most of the time I can make out what they are trying to say)
I settled for $94/yr everything included. I think that's the same as what I been paying for the last few years of $77 plus fees.
They did offer me 3 months free first, then $120/yr so keep trying.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd like to know what the success rate or suggested angle needed is for someone who bought a used RL(2005), and would like to hook up the traffic and XM radio....can I get in on this deal?
Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 AM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
This I good to know as my 3 month trial period is fast coming to an end. I'll give it's try.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
Slightly off topic, but why are people still bothering with XM? Slacker, pandora, iheart and tunein are all superior...and free. I've been off xm since last October, and don't miss it at all. These work fine on 3G or 4g and come in very clear, you just need 3.5mm jack, which all post 2005 RLs have. I use the USA-spec in my 05.

I had two radios hooked up to XM, costing me about $200/yr, quite a savings over a 5yr period to drop it.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rlerman
Slightly off topic, but why are people still bothering with XM? Slacker, pandora, iheart and tunein are all superior...and free. .
Same reason people have AOL email address, and no not cause they are pedophiles.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:14 AM
2005 RL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took the 6 month offer also. I programmed my phone to remind me 2 days before the 6 months expires. From my experience, they will probably make a better offer. What ever happened to the $77 days!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
Racer

Well my free three month trial just expired. I need to call them to ask about signing up. I wil be happy with $100 a year. Is this easy to get? It's just not worth any more, the signal drops out when I drive through trees, and honestly the sound quality is poor, makes mp3 sound like AUDIO DVD. I like the variety, although I would like it more if they had a few channels for alternative media like Republic Broadcasting Network and others. Heck even RT would be nice. Something other than corporate media, but I can get that on my phone, if I can ever get the audio cable ran...
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Still easy to get the $77/year deal, but I've heard they have lower rates available. $25 for 6 months.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:25 AM
RL User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
With the Sirius/XM price increase earlier this year, I hadn't heard the $77 is still available. I used this renewal rate for several years when I had my previous RL. I asked about this for one of our others cars, the offer wasn't available.

Has anyone recently renewed for $77 per year (not including royalty fees & taxes)?

(Of course, the $26 for six months is great for six months, I doubt you can string these together for a year of coverage. Plus I do use the NavTraffic - even though it is not perfect).

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Just called to get my 1 year renewed, asked to cancel due to cost, was offered half price which was around $86 a year.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:03 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
My subscription was about to renew in 2 days. I called, said the renewal rates were too expensive and I wanted to cancel before autobill kicked in.

No problem renewed at the same $77 (+NavTraffic) rate I have had since my 2005TL. Fastest transtaction I have had with XM to date.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Just bought a 06 RL and XM still works. I'm hesitant to call them add traffic (would love to) because I figure they will ask me questions and somehow know I'm not paying the bill. I suppose it is a subscription from the previous owner. Even if it's paid up through another year I figure they will cancel it when they find out I'm not the owner. Does anyone know a way to find out subscription details without tipping my hand.

When the subscription eventually runs out I will probably re-up but I'd like to get Howard. He is not available at the moment.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Well, I just got mined renewed after fighting with them several times.

$77 for NavRadio and an additional $28 discount added to my account, they added NavTraffic, it came out to $119 total for a year.

I thought that was a deal so I took it.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Well, I just got mined renewed after fighting with them several times.

$77 for NavRadio and an additional $28 discount added to my account, they added NavTraffic, it came out to $119 total for a year.

I thought that was a deal so I took it.
I would take that deal. Tuns out, I may have to ask. After owning the car for only two weeks the XM has suddenly stopped working. Looks like I'll be making the call next week.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Racer

The strangest thing happened the other day. My radio started working again but with some stations missing and then it was not working again the next day. My mom's car has had working Sirius since she bought it and it never went off. I guess I need to call if I want to listen to the news in the morning..
Old 09-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

They offer free weekends all the time.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HEAVY_RL
They offer free weekends all the time.
Ah, when I rarely drive the car. It has been sitting in the driveway since Friday evening. I guess I'll have to pay for XM, it's just not worth much with free internet radio available. And the sound quality frankly stinks, sounds like low grade MP3. And there's no alternative news. Just the same corporate news crap. Not even RT. Would not miss if there was GCN or RBN available.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:04 PM
Racer

Signed up for 2 free months today but added traffic for $8. I look forward to testing this plan when the trial runs out. I can see maybe $100/yr including HS and traffic but no more.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
another year - $86 + taxes

I have two cars with XM. Just called to cancel. Main number (Listener Care - 866-964-6668) is answered by machine, but you can get to agent quickly. Say cancelling due to cost. No deals from the first person.

They then transferred me to customer care. Much better person. Say cancelling. They ask if can find better deal will I renew. Yes of course. She offered 1/2 off full year which was $86 / year + $15.04 royalty taxes (plus local, state tax and $2 invoice fee). Accepted that offer. Then, also did same thing while on phone for second car with XM (both renewing around same time).

All set for another year for both vehicles -- each at $86/year.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 AM
Racer

I keep receiving offers of $25/6 months for my expired Sirius radio that I had before my RL. I will try to transfer that offer to my XM in the RL when my trial offer expires.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Racer

They just sent me a card for another free 3 month trial. I will have a hard time paying even at these prices. The sound quality is just so HORRIBLE. I find a nice song playing, turn it up, and then the digital artifacts and tin can vocals just bother me. There's no detail in the sound at all. Only a few top tier stations have good sound quality. I don't get it, they can't even maintain a 128kbps stream? Internet radio on my cell phone sounds much better. The variety of programming is nice, but I can't listen to any of the music and actually enjoy it.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by shahram72
They just sent me a card for another free 3 month trial. I will have a hard time paying even at these prices. The sound quality is just so HORRIBLE. I find a nice song playing, turn it up, and then the digital artifacts and tin can vocals just bother me. There's no detail in the sound at all. Only a few top tier stations have good sound quality. I don't get it, they can't even maintain a 128kbps stream? Internet radio on my cell phone sounds much better. The variety of programming is nice, but I can't listen to any of the music and actually enjoy it.
switch to radio for awhile, you'll be able to tell free from paid in no time.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Such a pain.....

The bill I received for next year's service showed up as "past due". In other words, unlike most subscription services that bill you BEFORE the service expires, XM has you run over and then bills you full price for the next year (coming in at some $222).

Tomorrow I'm going to call and put in for cancellation (as I have since my trial expired in 2007). If they don't give me one of the discounts, I'll fully cancel and leave it at that.

I find myself listening to only a handful of stations anyway, so I just have a hard time justifying it (at almost any price). NAV Traffic isn't even all that helpful when you get right down to it. In fact, it's been mostly slow and troublesome.

We'll see what happens in the 'morrow.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob144
NAV Traffic isn't even all that helpful when you get right down to it. In fact, it's been mostly slow and troublesome..
I've noticed the display is slow to scale up and down. I wonder if traffic is what is slowing it down.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
The traffic info is only as good as the state agency that handles the info.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I called with the intent to cancel, and said the invoiced amount was too much to justify given the 5 stations I moslty listen to.

They came back with a deal for $86 annual service + royalty fee, plus $25 for Nav traffic for the year. I said I could only justify renewal at $100 or less, was put on hold while the supervisor was contacted (or the operator got a cup of coffee), and given the $100. We'll see how the billing statement looks when it arrives. Last year Nav traffic stoped working midway through the subscription, so who knows this year?

At least I didn't have 15 minutes on hold bouncing from call center to call center, and the operator was fairly pleasant.

I have noticed that the NAV system generally seems to be getting ever slower to respond to dial inputs.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

bonus

Old 12-10-2012, 07:21 PM
Cruisin'

$77 deal still works!!

I just got off the phone with SiriusXm. All they asked me for was my Radio ID. They asked me if the "offer in the mail" was for XM Premium or Select. I told them it was for select. They put me on hold to talk to the supervisor, and they offerred me the $86 service with a $9 discount ($77 FTW!). Still had to pay the US Music Royalty fee and taxes, so the total was $90.02.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 01:38 PM
10th Gear

"great" customer service

I have a subscription that came with my '05 RL, and I don't mess with it as I have no clue when it will expire (maybe it's a lifetime sub?) Last owner hasn't had the car since before June. However, I play the XM haggle game with my wife's 2005 Accord Hybrid every few months, and it's incredible how much their regular rates are! We just replaced her '05 Accord Hybrid with an '05 Accord Hybrid over the weekend (half the miles, never been rear-ended like our old one) and they wanted to charge me $15 plus sales tax to transfer the service to the new radio! 10 minutes on the phone got that waived too. I'm sure I'll get some "exclusive" promo pricing when I call to cancel in January too. They must be making a TON of profit off of the people who pay full price, because I know their making a profit even off of the customers who don't like getting bent over.

XM doesn't even sound that great. When I switch to the DVD-A player I have to crank down the volume because Volume lvl 12 is equivalent to, say, 22 on XM. No clarity whatsoever either, at least in comparison. What makes them think FM+ is worth $150+/year?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM
8th Gear

same deal

threatened to cancel. first person immediately offered 86+8.43 deal. it was easy, no games this time.

Quick Reply: How to Renew Your XM Radio for $77 a year.