Winter Tires

Old 10-03-2014, 03:01 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Tires

I am planning to get a set of four winter tires for my 2014 RDX, mounted on steel rims, and with TPMS in them. My tire size is 235/60/18. I am getting conflicting answers on what I need to get. The Acura dealer I use does not carry “Acura approved” 18 inch steel rims, and he is suggesting I go with 235/65/17 size tires. Another Acura dealer I contacted thinks that going to 17 inch rims may cause issues with braking, stability, etc., and he is suggesting I get 18 inch alloy rims.

Does anyone have any experience with moving to a 17 inch steel rims?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Go to Tirerack and check out their 17" wheels for the RDX.

I would stay away from steel wheels unless you like the plain look. Otherwise you need to buy wheel covers that will get mangled in the snow.

Get the least expensive alloys and either the General or Goodyear winter tires in the 235 size. For winter you want as narrow as possible and both of those tires have high rating for the price and are a good match for the RDX.
The following users liked this post:
Bwanadina (10-03-2014)
Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
I got 17" alloys with TPMS valves on them from The Tire rack. They fit, and the car recognized the valves after driving 1/2 a mile. True the 17" wheel does not use as low a profile tire as the 18" does, but when you hit a pothole, you have a little more cushion before you bend a rim. The plastic wheel covers that come with steel wheels are junk, and will pop off at the slightest bump. Better off with the alloys.
Bwanadina (10-04-2014)
Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I always downsize when it comes to winter tires. Cheaper for both tires and rims and I've never had a problem when using OEM wheels. My Acura dealer recommends a 17" CRV steel wheel for the RDX. They aren't that ugly, much better than a plain black steel wheel.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
It sounds like you're thinking right on tire size, but I don't recommend consulting a dealership on wheel and tire matters. They simply don't know enough about them. Tire Rack, Discount Tire, or a reputable local tire retailer are all better options.

Tire Rack has some very affordable packages, but keep in mind all alloys are not equal. The manufacturing and painting processes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Spending an extra $20 can get you a wheel that is stronger, reasonably lightweight, and has a more durable finish. Most Tire Rack reps will give honest answers, but you have to ask the questions.

Another option for wheels is Honda or Acura take-offs. Forum classifieds and Craig's List can be excellent sources for lightly used wheels. I'd take an OEM wheel over a cheap Chinese alloy any day. If you go this route, just be sure to consider things like bolt pattern, center bore, wheel width, offset, backspacing, etc. Buying from a source like Tire Rack guarantees you won't have any fitment issues.

Regarding the tires, narrower tires will get you through snow and slush better, but there is a price to pay for that in terms of dry grip and stopping distance. If your roads are dry or just wet more than snow-covered, a really narrow tread may do more harm than good. Most people recommend decreasing the section width to get a narrower tire, but in reality tread widths can vary dramatically from model to model even if the tires are the same size. If you check out the link below, you'll see a comparison of five of the better 235/65/17 winter tires. Notice that even though the tires are all the same size, the actual tread width ranges from 7" to 7.7". A narrower wheel will also narrow up the tread pattern.

Link

Keep us posted on your research. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm going with 17" Honda CRV steel wheels (from the CRV LX) that were on a 09 TSX and 235/65/17 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1's that I had on my previous Highlander. The RAV4 steel wheels I had them on previous wouldn't work with the RDX. All I need is sensors and center caps to complete the package.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:08 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
The DM-V1's are really made for a light truck. I had them on an RX-350 and were good in the snow, they rode very firm. You may want to get the Bridgestone WS-70 (if still available) or WS-80 for a better ride.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone had experience with the Nokian WRG3 all weather tire?

Particularly concerned over noise and tread life.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by computerperson

for what it's worth, Consumer Reports gave the WRG3 a "fair" rating for tread life and a "good"rating for noise.

the 2 top tires in their test (michelin latitude touring, and michelin LTX m/s 2) had "excellent" ratings in both of these categories.

given you seem to be interested in an all-weather tire, CR also gave the following ratings for snow and ice traction:
michelin touring - good snow traction, very good ice traction
michelin ltx m/s 2 - very good snow traction, good ice traction
nokian wr g3 - very good snow traction, good ice traction

hope this helps!
Old 04-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts

are you talking about the WRG3 or the WRG3 SUV? The g3 is similar to the G2 and G2 SUV, which I run on my son's Mazda tribute. The treadwear isn't too bad (about a 40k tire) and the noise is very acceptable - and winter traction is good. The G3 SUV is a new directional design that they just came out with, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge with that. however, I've run direction nokian snow tires for years (Hakka R's, R2's, 5's, etc) and they're not overly noisy at all and do excellent in the winter. Treadwear isn't as good as a dedicated all-season tire, but they're not super fast wearing either. If you put (say) 10-15K on per year I'd see them as a good choice. More than that and I'd recommend going with a dedicated set for the winter.

andy
Old 04-19-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by johnrh
for what it's worth, Consumer Reports gave the WRG3 a "fair" rating for tread life and a "good"rating for noise.

the 2 top tires in their test (michelin latitude touring, and michelin LTX m/s 2) had "excellent" ratings in both of these categories.

given you seem to be interested in an all-weather tire, CR also gave the following ratings for snow and ice traction:
michelin touring - good snow traction, very good ice traction
michelin ltx m/s 2 - very good snow traction, good ice traction
nokian wr g3 - very good snow traction, good ice traction

hope this helps!
The ratings above are for the WR G3 SUV
Old 04-19-2015, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by johnrh

Sadly those Michelin tires do not come in the size for the RDX. The Nokians do, and that has been my challenge.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Sadly those Michelin tires do not come in the size for the RDX. The Nokians do, and that has been my challenge.
The way I look at it, if you want better winter traction than an all-season tire, you either get a year-round tire that will wear a bit faster, or run dedicated winter wheels/tires. But the real question is - what's your definition of necessary winter traction. Many are OK with what an all-season can do. Others (like me) need more. On a non-AWD sedan dedicated winter tires on separate rims is a must. For an AWD vehicle, you can either be like my wife (TL SH-AWD) and want those dedicated snow tire rims/wheels so you can pretend your car is a mountain goat - or - you can get something a bit more aggressive for year-round use like the WR G3 SUV. As I said I've been happy with the G2SUV's on my son's Tribute and would strongly consider the G3's for the RDX if I find the Michelin's traction isn't up to my liking next winter. Fortunately I have the whole summer to decide

andy
Old 04-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the WRG3 SUV on a '13 CR-V, a '13 Rav 4 and they are great. Very little road noise, good tread wear (inflation is critical) and no complaints at all. No extra rims and tires to store and change over at the dealer's convenience etc.

I also am on my second set of WRG3s (non SUV) on my '08 CSX and love them. I had one bad tire four and 1/2 years into using them and the dealer replaced all four tires for $300 (mounted and balanced with new 100,000 KM warranty) including taxes. How can you lose?

Both the WRG3 and WRG3 SUV have been great in the Winnipeg winters and while they are not the xICE 3 or Nokian Haqs, they do a good job of stopping IF you remember it is winter and leave enough space!.

Love not having two sets of tires and rims and LOVE not sitting waiting to get the tires changed at end of season.
andysinnh (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 05:14 PM
Advanced

I just checked and the Michelin Latitudes are available in size 235/60-18 102V (i.e. the proper size, speed and load rating) on tirerack.com. Look for the "Michelin Latitude Tour HP"