tire pressure issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 06:17 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire pressure issues

I am having problems with my tires maintaining the correct pressures. Just this morning I got a "low pressure" warning, just like I do occasionally in winter when the car is parked outside.
But at 68 degrees?? When I bought these replacement tires I researched heavily on tirerack.com. Made what I thought was a good purchase, Firestone Destination LE2's, but have consistently had pressure troubles. Sometimes it's one that's low, sometimes multiple tires. I've heard that Nitrogen may help, but availability around here is spotty.

Is there a certain brand of tire that maintains the correct pressure better than others?
Old 08-07-2016, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
All brands of tires should hold their pressure.Unless valves leak.If they didn't lose pressure before tire replacement,I would talk to Your installer and get Their input.Did They change TPMS valve stems?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:50 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
The installers screwed up, probably with the valve stems. Take it back and have them fix it. Nitrogen won't make any difference.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Maybe a bead issue as well.
Old 08-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Sturgill
Just this morning I got a "low pressure" warning, just like I do occasionally in winter when the car is parked outside.
But at 68 degrees??
I'm not convinced that you have a problem at all, at least not with the information you have provided.

You should not get a warning light at any time of the year. When the cold weather arrives the tire pressure drops because of the low temperatures, and not because air has leaked out. In the winter you need to add more pressure to your tires to compensate for the drop due to temperature. When summer arrives you actually need to remove some air from the tires to prevent over inflation due to temperature.

The proper way to inflate tires is to check the pressures first thing in the morning before you have driven anywhere, and before the sun has had a chance to warm the tires. The pressure at this time of the day should be what is printed on the door sticker ( approximately 35-37 PSI). This pressure check should be done at least once during each season, or better yet, just glance at the dashboard display each morning as you start the car.

So the information that we need from you is "what are your tire pressures first thing in the morning?"
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-08-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 08:18 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Sturgill
I am having problems with my tires maintaining the correct pressures. Just this morning I got a "low pressure" warning, just like I do occasionally in winter when the car is parked outside.
But at 68 degrees?? When I bought these replacement tires I researched heavily on tirerack.com. Made what I thought was a good purchase, Firestone Destination LE2's, but have consistently had pressure troubles. Sometimes it's one that's low, sometimes multiple tires. I've heard that Nitrogen may help, but availability around here is spotty.

Is there a certain brand of tire that maintains the correct pressure better than others?
Tires lose about 1 psi per month and there is a 1 psi variation for each 10 degree difference in temps. Your "low pressure" warning is required to come on at 25% below the correct amount but most likely will alert around the 15-20% low mark.

So let's look at the numbers and assume 35psi is "normal" to make calculations easier. By regulations, your car must display a low warning at about 27psi. Let's further assume that you aired your tires up in May when it was 80 degrees outside and let's assume that your gauge was right. Three months later you've lost 3 psi just because of time. That puts us at 32psi. You've lost another 2psi+ because of the temps so you're at 30psi. If your car alerts at the 15% mark (most Acuras do) then you're right on track to get an alert - that's assuming the tires were cold and you actually inflated them to the correct psi.

Are you setting your pressures or are you relying on somebody else? Here's what you do:

Inflate all 4 tires when cold (i.e. first thing in the morning and not driven) to the amount on the sticker. Write down the air temps as well.
Check the MID and write down the values. This should be what it says on the sticker. If not, adjust.
Drive for a mile and check the values again. Write those down too.

Check the pressures on the MID tomorrow morning. Unless they are way off, don't worry but write down the numbers
Do this daily for a week. Write it down daily.
If all is still well then start doing it weekly.

Report back here with your chart. If you actually have air loss over a couple of weeks then you have a tire/valve stem/wheel problem - very unlikely.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:09 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Good information...but my tires don't lose any psi per month. Maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:52 AM
10th Gear

low pressure issue solved

Took it to Costco. They noticed some corrosion on the wheels and removed it. Zero pressure issues since.
Old 10-06-2018, 09:26 AM
10th Gear

pressure issues resurfacing, but this time on 2 tires.

As was mentioned earlier, I am going to look into the valve stems to see if one or more may need replaced.
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it.