Nokian winters worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nokian winters worth it?

winter is just around the corner for us in Canada and I'm looking at some winters for my 16 elite (advance)

nokian hakkapeliitta r2 suv seems to be the top pick when looking around and reading reviews, but these come at a hefty price

the alternatives are a bit more affordable but there doesn't seem to be a clear second or even third to the nokians. the top sets that keep coming up are xi2's, blizzaks or wintercontacts.

i will be driving quite a bit. A good mix between city and highway driving. Is it worth to pay the extra cost to get the nokians are will I be able to get good performance and longevity from the cheaper alternatives?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
The Ice 2's will do just fine.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Are you looking for the nokian hakkapeliitta r2 in the OEM size or something smaller?
Lots of sales on snow tires now. I just got brand new Bridgestone DM-V2's for $190 cdn each...
Old 10-24-2016, 10:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SkylineEX-S
Are you looking for the nokian hakkapeliitta r2 in the OEM size or something smaller?
Lots of sales on snow tires now. I just got brand new Bridgestone DM-V2's for $190 cdn each...
I'd be getting tires in the oem size. My plan is to use the stock rims as my winters and once summer rolls around, I'll buy a new set of tires and wheels

That's roughly the same amount I can get them for.
Dm-v2 - 200 each
wintercontact si - 192 each
xi2 - 230 each
hakkapeliitta r2 suv - 242 each

seems like a small difference in price when looking at each tire separately but the prices do add up when buying a set of 4..

does anyone have experience with any of these tires?

Last edited by johnnyytruong; 10-24-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used the Haq's in their various iterations since 2002, and loved the winters.

In 2008 with my new Acura CSX I started with the Nokian WRGs and dropped the snows as the WRGs are one of the only winter rated tires around. Use them in Manitoba and have never looked back. Have them on three RDXs and one CR-V. Saves a ton in tire changes and storage and is an excellent time all year round. Wear is superb and no issues with Kal tire here in Canada. One of my 2008 CSX WRGs went at 4 years and 8 months...Kal replaced all four tires, installed etc for just under $200 with a new five year warranty. Under $200 is less than one tire...

Never have to make a tire change appointment or store tires... a WIN/WIN!
Old 05-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This answer is a little late for this year but possibly it will help someone for next season, i.e., winter of 2017-'18.

For all but the most brutal of heavy snows, the WR G3 SUV will suffice. It is a tremendous tire. I have run it on all my sedans and SUVs for the past eight years and never had a problem. The sales and service experience with KAL Tire is unparalleled if you are fortunate enough to live where one is located.

If you are traveling frequently through heavy snows and icy conditions, then the Hakkapeliitta R2 will provide a slight edge over the WR G3.

As for price, yes, these tires may be a bit more to buy but if you compare this against the value of your life and your RDX, I would say it is more than a fair trade. The old saw, "you get what you pay for," is unquestionably true in the case of Nokians. If you go with the WR G3 then you also save the time, cost and hassle of changing the tires every autumn and spring, a ritual here in Canada and the northern tier United States as well as some areas of the south where cold weather in winter is not unknown.

IMHO, nothing outruns the Nokians. Period.
Old 05-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I find the Hakkapelitas to be over-kill for most people
Old 05-25-2017, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by priggly
This answer is a little late for this year but possibly it will help someone for next season, i.e., winter of 2017-'18.

For all but the most brutal of heavy snows, the WR G3 SUV will suffice. It is a tremendous tire. I have run it on all my sedans and SUVs for the past eight years and never had a problem. The sales and service experience with KAL Tire is unparalleled if you are fortunate enough to live where one is located.

If you are traveling frequently through heavy snows and icy conditions, then the Hakkapeliitta R2 will provide a slight edge over the WR G3.

As for price, yes, these tires may be a bit more to buy but if you compare this against the value of your life and your RDX, I would say it is more than a fair trade. The old saw, "you get what you pay for," is unquestionably true in the case of Nokians. If you go with the WR G3 then you also save the time, cost and hassle of changing the tires every autumn and spring, a ritual here in Canada and the northern tier United States as well as some areas of the south where cold weather in winter is not unknown.

IMHO, nothing outruns the Nokians. Period.
hey thanks for the insight! 100% agree with you that the hakkapeliitta r2 is hands down the best winter tire but its a bit too expensive for me to spend on a set of winters. I opted for continental wintercontacts and do not regret it one bit

i looked into the WR G3 but opted to purchase two separate sets of tires versus one set that does it all. Performance overall would be better, and the money I saved on going with the continentals went towards my summers. Two sets also helps with preserving the tread as well so I won't have to replace tires as often.

My thought process related back to shoes. You don't just have one pair that you use for every occasion right?