Negitive Camber rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 03:53 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Negitive Camber rear wheels

Negitive Camberi own a 2013 RDX tech that has around 60000km's on it. I started noticing that both rear wheels are starting to have a negitive camber. I rarely tow anything (and what i have towed has been in the 1500lbs range) and have never been in an accident with it. It just seems like a lite truck of this value with only 60000km's shouldn't already be showing a camber issue. I have been looking around to see if they make aftermarket ajustable rear camber kits for the RDX and can't find anything. I've seen many for the MDX but not for my model.
Has anyone noticed this on their RDX? Basically look at the truck from the back (with the front wheels directioned strait and you'll notice the back wheels upper part angled inwards. Thus, negitive camber.
I wouldnt want to wear out my inner tires prematurely. And, i guess the look bothers me a little...
Looking forwards to hearing your comments and suggestions as to aftermarket parts that i haven't come across.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Have you had a four wheel alignment done recently? I just bought four new tires last fall and had an alignment done. See attached printouts from the tire store. I believe they used a Hunter alignment machine. The results printed out say there is no rear camber specifications from the manufacturer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scan 2017-1-2 17.05.26.pdf (250.0 KB, 219 views)
File Type: pdf
Scan 2017-1-2 17.07.32.pdf (165.4 KB, 164 views)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:32 AM
Cruisin'

I have not done an alignment yet but plan on getting one done after winter once I get new summer tires. I knew that the camber on the back wheels have no adjustments possible but was wondering if someone knew of any aftermarket parts to enable camber tweaking. My RDX has only 60000km's. What's it going to look like once it has 150000km's yet alone the inner tire wear.
perhaps the rear springs could use some beefing up...
My 4 year warranty is coming up, I'll mention this to my dealer on the next visit (airbag recall) and see if they have any suggestions.
Chances are they'll tell me it within spec...
Old 01-03-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
contrary to popular belief, camber does not cause tire wear.

out of spec TOE does.
you are correct in that camber has no way to adjust from the factory....(hint - that's cuz it doesnt cause tire wear. )

also, you are visually inspecting it.
How do you know if it's in spec if you haven't gotten an alignment??????
did you know that negative camber is in spec!?!??!?!
Old 01-03-2017, 10:07 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrewsaintf
I have not done an alignment yet but plan on getting one done after winter once I get new summer tires. I knew that the camber on the back wheels have no adjustments possible but was wondering if someone knew of any aftermarket parts to enable camber tweaking. My RDX has only 60000km's. What's it going to look like once it has 150000km's yet alone the inner tire wear.
perhaps the rear springs could use some beefing up...
My 4 year warranty is coming up, I'll mention this to my dealer on the next visit (airbag recall) and see if they have any suggestions.
Chances are they'll tell me it within spec...
When they do the alignment, have them look at all of the suspension bushings to see if any may have worn out.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:44 AM
Cruisin'

Justnspace; I am not stating that it is out of spec, won't know before an alignment.
What I do know is that the back wheels had no visable negitive camber in the first 2-3 years of ownership. I am somewhat a 'freak' and would have noticed it right away.
From my experience with my 2013 RDX, Acura quality just isn't as it used to be. So far I've had to change the 2 rear struts (under warranty), shark fin antenna came off by itself and got replaced under warranty, 2 TPMS sensors changed under warranty, heater fan changed under warranty due to a squealing bearing, differential assembly changed due to bad bushings causing a very noticeable vibration once the vcm kicked in, bad disks in front and back changed under warranty to get another set of bad disks put on the front. From that point I personally replace all 4 disks with drilled and slotted ones that brake like a race car. What a difference.
So all in all i really wouldn't be surprised if the rear springs are a little weak for the truck thus the negitive camber on my RDX with only 60000km's...
Not to mention having nothing stock to correct
the -camber😤
Old 01-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I see this issue on many vehicles on the road. Most recent was on a piece of junk Jeep Compass, the negative camber was absolutely unbelievable.... My 2014 looks ok so far, has 57000 miles , but the other day I was parked on slightly uneven pavement and the rear wheel on the passenger side was noticeably tilted inwards. Yuk. I agree with the other comment regarding possible worn bushings.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

hi all,
I figured I`d let everyone know what the outcome of the negitive camber on my rdx after a lil trip the the dealer.
They indeed changed my 2 rear coils after seeing that the camber was out of range from doing an alignment check. I still feel this shouldnt be happening on a truck of this caliber.
I had a 2005 Toyota Matrix before my RDX. When I sold it I had over 200000 km`s on it and still had all original direction/suspension parts. Actually I have been to the garage 2 times more often with my RDX since 2013 than I ever did with my old Matrix in 10 years of ownership. I like my RDX and all but wouldnt ever call this a high end car...
Old 01-17-2017, 12:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,613 Likes on 6,652 Posts
like my RDX and all but wouldnt ever call this a high end car...

no one does..
Old 01-17-2017, 01:01 PM
Racer

Interesting, thanks for the update.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:17 PM
Racer

hi all,
I figured I`d let everyone know what the outcome of the negitive camber on my rdx after a lil trip the the dealer.
They indeed changed my 2 rear coils after seeing that the camber was out of range from doing an alignment check. I still feel this shouldnt be happening on a truck of this caliber.
I had a 2005 Toyota Matrix before my RDX. When I sold it I had over 200000 km`s on it and still had all original direction/suspension parts. Actually I have been to the garage 2 times more often with my RDX since 2013 than I ever did with my old Matrix in 10 years of ownership. I like my RDX and all but wouldnt ever call this a high end car...
Did you happen to find out from the dealer what the spec is for maximum allowable negative camber on the rear?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Cruisin'

Skidoor, i will check my alignment report tonight when i get home to see if those specs are listed. I do recall seeing on the report that at the moment even after having the coils changed and the whole car realigned my RDX is barely within specs. What I mean by this is that the alignment report picture arrows come close to the edge of them falling out of spec.
I will try and scan my report for you to see exactly what i mean.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:59 PM
Racer

Great!

When I had my winter tires installed, the tire dealer put the RDX on the alignment rack without my consent, and told me it was out of alignment and gave me the printout.
It showed the rear wheel passenger side camber as -1.8 degrees (which is shown on the report as being out of spec) and the drivers side rear at -0.8 degrees which was within spec. But the report does not show what the specs actually are.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:28 PM
Cruisin'

From what I gather the camber specs for the rear wheels are as follows; -0.5 degrees to -1.5 degrees. So the truck comes stock with a little negitive camber. Not sure what's up but the camber looks the same on paper from before the alignment to after. Visually the back wheels look much straiter now than they did before changing the rear coils.
I am on the edge of falling out of spec even though the coils have been changed. I gather it's a question of time before the negitive camber gets to where it was before they changed the coils. The tsx, tl, accord, pilot and MDX all have aftermarket kits to permanently fix the camber issue, would be nice to have a kit for our RDX...
Old 01-22-2017, 12:54 PM
Racer

Merci, mon ami! (I am also an Andrew)